Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

7 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Good analysis here; https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/mathias-normann-2020-21-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

Basically, he is good at a bit of everything, but isn't a player that will just sit deep and screen a la Skipp. But that never seems to be the profile of player Norwich have been looking for (Billing and Carvalho aren't that player either).

That's an excellent scout report Bethnal, clearly showing why we are so interested.

There has been talk that the Carvalho link has been used to perhaps help force Rostov’s hand by suggesting we’re ready to move on from Normann if they don’t agree to what we’re offering, but I honestly think that’s been the case for a while now, and that ship has since sailed - Webber will be a few steps ahead of the press of course. The point is, with literally just a few days until the window closes, would Rostov really play Normann today and risk the transfer if it was still actually on? I really can’t see it, and neither would it make sense either. 

There have also been suggestions tonight that the Real Betis director wants £18mil for Carvalho - can’t see us paying that! 

Regardless, if anything is going to happen now I will guess the club will use the opportunity to build the suspense and announce any new signings right on deadline day or Wednesday morning!

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

There has been talk that the Carvalho link has been used to perhaps help force Rostov’s hand by suggesting we’re ready to move on from Normann if they don’t agree to what we’re offering, but I honestly think that’s been the case for a while now, and that ship has since sailed - Webber will be a few steps ahead of the press of course. The point is, with literally just a few days until the window closes, would Rostov really play Normann today and risk the transfer if it was still actually on? I really can’t see it, and neither would it make sense either. 

There have also been suggestions tonight that the Real Betis director wants £18mil for Carvalho - can’t see us paying that! 

Regardless, if anything is going to happen now I will guess the club will use the opportunity to build the suspense and announce any new signings right on deadline day or Wednesday morning!

Normann is Rostov’s best player and until a deal is agreed they will keep playing him.

Bremen and Norwich had actually come to an agreement that Sargent could play for them even after a fee had been agreed, but the player himself then said he didn’t want to as he felt he couldn’t fully focus on the game. 

I think the Carvalho stuff is purely driven by his agent or Betis - there is a real desperation for him to get a move and very little interest. Reporting that Norwich made an enquiry is a good was to smoke out others - especially among teams who might consider themselves in a relegation battle against Norwich. 

Farke seems super confident something will happening, which is reassuring. It may be there is a plan B (or C) out there that they can push a button on but want to keep pushing for their plan A first. 

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Normann is Rostov’s best player and until a deal is agreed they will keep playing him.

Bremen and Norwich had actually come to an agreement that Sargent could play for them even after a fee had been agreed, but the player himself then said he didn’t want to as he felt he couldn’t fully focus on the game. 

I think the Carvalho stuff is purely driven by his agent or Betis - there is a real desperation for him to get a move and very little interest. Reporting that Norwich made an enquiry is a good was to smoke out others - especially among teams who might consider themselves in a relegation battle against Norwich. 

Farke seems super confident something will happening, which is reassuring. It may be there is a plan B (or C) out there that they can push a button on but want to keep pushing for their plan A first. 

It’s funny how we all make different assumptions, I actually didn’t take Farke’s words today to be all that confident that something was about to happen to be honest ha ha, just from how he spoke at the press conference, Bethnal!

And to be fair, Sargent’s inclusion for the Werder Bremen game was very much the exception to the rule in such instances when a deal is agreed, or very close to. Normally we hear of the mythical thigh strain etc, but it’s always been quite normal for the player to be withdrawn from the squad when on the verge of a move so as not to risk injury and the whole thing collapsing. I may well be wrong, but I really don’t think the Normann thing is a goer anymore, even less likely if he could now potentially miss several months with a shoulder injury. It’s going to be an interesting last few days!

I'm predicting we'll sign a CDM, but it won't be Normann or Carvalho, and no sod will know about it until he's unveiled. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I'm predicting we'll sign a CDM, but it won't be Normann or Carvalho, and no sod will know about it until he's unveiled. 

Think you are most probably right there, Ken - gonna guess that we’re quite happy to have the distraction of the press talking about Normann or Carvalho whilst the real business goes on behind closed doors, and in fact that may well be the plan by Webber. Quite funny there’s been zero links to a CB of late though - if you ignore the €25mil Dutchman the other day, that is!

Yes, but remember - unless we sign a ‘name’ we’ll be accused of not showing the required level of effort at staying up…🤔😕

Edited by Branston Pickle

…obviously a player who didn’t quite come on as anticipated:  Blackburn, Bournemouth, Swansea and Stoke all want to sign former England youth winger Patrick Roberts, 24, who is available on a free from Manchester City. (Sky Sports)

I’m still hoping the report about one of the promoted teams being interested in Mahdi Camara was correct and that the club was us. 

• Like 2

Just a query and question to pose to you all.

Farke said recently in an interview that he would like to have two players competing for each position. Clearly that is a general thing, as in some positions you typically have more - eg 3 goalkeepers, 4 CB's isn't really enough, 3 strikers if you are persisting with one up front etc.

If you look at midfield - it's a little bit interesting.
Lees-Melou is box to box.
Sorensen is considered to be a defensive midfielder.
Gilmour is holding midfielder.
Rupp is another box to box.
McLean is box to box.

Farke has also said that he wants the midfielder to be a defensive midfielder. Does that mean Gilmour will be switched to wider of the three when we bring them in? And a bit more box to box?

I'm disappointed that Watford got Sissoko from Spurs for only £3m (plus hefty wages, I imagine). I get that he doesn't fit the model but a hell of a player on his day and he will help them a lot. I don't see them being in the bottom 3 with the signings they have made.

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

I'm disappointed that Watford got Sissoko from Spurs for only £3m (plus hefty wages, I imagine). I get that he doesn't fit the model but a hell of a player on his day and he will help them a lot. I don't see them being in the bottom 3 with the signings they have made.

Really? They have added the following to their first team squad: Joshua King, Sissoko, Louza and Emmanuel Dennis (who is from a club also owned by Watford's owners), Fletcher, Kucka.

That's it really. Sissoko and Kucka are the wrong side of 30. Yup, perhaps Sissoko still has it in him to help keep a team out of a relegation spot, perhaps. I wouldn't say any of the others are really standout. Dennis is 23 and scored a bit less than 1 in 4 for Club Brugge.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I would want to swap our signings this summer with theirs... 

17 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

A hell of a player? Not for me. Quite happy to miss out tbh.  

14 minutes ago, chicken said:

Really? They have added the following to their first team squad: Joshua King, Sissoko, Louza and Emmanuel Dennis (who is from a club also owned by Watford's owners), Fletcher, Kucka.

That's it really. Sissoko and Kucka are the wrong side of 30. Yup, perhaps Sissoko still has it in him to help keep a team out of a relegation spot, perhaps. I wouldn't say any of the others are really standout. Dennis is 23 and scored a bit less than 1 in 4 for Club Brugge.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I would want to swap our signings this summer with theirs... 

They also have Cucho Hernandez, who they've owned since 2017 but has been on loan for 4 seasons-last 3 in La Liga. This is the first time he's been in their squad and he looked lively when he came on as sub against Villa and Brighton.

Dennis came from Bruges, not owned by the Pozzo family-Udinese are the other club they own.

I agree though, I prefer our signings.

Interesting little merry go round transfer..Rashica, Sargent..Werder Bremen - Norwich,  Tom Trybull...Norwich - Hannover 96.. Marvin Ducksch (often linked to City) Hannover 96 -Werder Bremen.

8 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

It’s funny how we all make different assumptions, I actually didn’t take Farke’s words today to be all that confident that something was about to happen to be honest ha ha, just from how he spoke at the press conference, Bethnal!

And to be fair, Sargent’s inclusion for the Werder Bremen game was very much the exception to the rule in such instances when a deal is agreed, or very close to. Normally we hear of the mythical thigh strain etc, but it’s always been quite normal for the player to be withdrawn from the squad when on the verge of a move so as not to risk injury and the whole thing collapsing. I may well be wrong, but I really don’t think the Normann thing is a goer anymore, even less likely if he could now potentially miss several months with a shoulder injury. It’s going to be an interesting last few days!

Seriously? He got injured playing yesterday? Just shows we should have offered Rostov £20m on the day the transfer window opened. That would have shown real sporting integrity.

I really can’t see Normann happening, especially now he’s picked up an injury. It’s a position where we arguably need someone to come in and do a job straight away, no messing around with recuperation and getting back to match fitness. 

If I’m honest, I’m not convinced by him anyway so I’m almost hoping it doesn’t happen. Anyone half decent can look like a world beater in the Russian League, and the fact is he was at Brighton just 2 years ago where he made 0 appearances and was deemed not good enough. I appreciate that a lot can change in 2 years, but will he have progressed to a Premier League level in that short time? All well and good bringing up stories of Man Utd’s reported interest in him, but the transfer didn’t happen and as far as we know it’s just an “agent drumming up interest” as is so widely mentioned on here.

In light of his injury, I’ve got no doubt that Webber is onto “plan B” as it were. Whether that actually is Carvalho or someone else entirely, we’ll have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Normann was injured most of last season and has gone off injured 2 games of this, including this latest dislocated shoulder. I'm worried if he'll cope with the rigours of English football if I'm honest.

Clearly he will require a pretty intense medical and with him being stuck out in Russia doesn't leave much time to hit the transfer deadline. 

Additionally he will be expected to join the Norway squad early next week. Lots of headwinds if we are to get this one over the line.

I'll get shot down in flames, hung and castrated for this suggestion, but any thoughts about Danny Drinkwater from Chelsea, on a short term lone?

Can't find any info if he was a defensive midfielder, or still a box to box. Would have "experience" but has been loaned to Burnley, Villa and Kasımpaşa in last few seasons

10 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Something has to happen.failure to recruit in this position will be utter negligence as far as I am concerned. 

3 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

I'll get shot down in flames, hung and castrated for this suggestion, but any thoughts about Danny Drinkwater from Chelsea, on a short term lone?

Can't find any info if he was a defensive midfielder, or still a box to box. Would have "experience" but has been loaned to Burnley, Villa and Kasımpaşa in last few seasons

We can’t sign more than one player from a single Premier League club on loan and we’ve already got Gilmour.

2 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Not a bad suggestion, except for the fact that we already have two players on loan from premier league clubs.....the limit is two. Next.

9 hours ago, chicken said:

Real pattern to their signings though isn’t there. To add to their existing squad of fast and physically strong athletes. They aren’t going to be playing much pretty football but they may be effective. 

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Not a bad suggestion, except for the fact that we already have two players on loan from premier league clubs.....the limit is two. Next.

I didn't say loan, a permanent signing, can't believe he'd cost the earth

1 minute ago, Samwam27 said:

We would probably be offering 50% of what he's earning. I know what I'd do if I was him

3 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

I suppose you didn't, technically. But considering Gilmour is already here from Chelsea, it wouldn't be a 'lone' either 😉

10 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

He's apparently on £100k a week though, so that puts this one to bed.

5 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Drinkwater was absolutely appalling at Burnley and Villa, it's a no from me. 

Watched a couple of games where he played for Villa during that loan spell and it genuinely looked like a fan had won a competition to play for them, he was atrocious.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

52 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Well Samwam - you absolutely DID say a 'lone' signing!!!!