Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

2 hours ago, cornish sam said:

I wonder where they got £82k pw from? The Spanish paper (who will know because Spanish clubs have to file players contracts in a public database I believe) say he's on €2.5m pa or about £42k pw... I do often wonder why so many read/buy/believe the Sun (and the mail for that)

Also the idea that clubs negotiate fees and then end up being "surprised" by the wages the target is on seems somewhat far fetched

Looks like Will Hughes is off to Palace for as little as 6 million. Another player I would have liked to add a bit more bite to our midfield

14 minutes ago, AJ said:

Looks like Will Hughes is off to Palace for as little as 6 million. Another player I would have liked to add a bit more bite to our midfield

I saw that Hughes turned down £60k a week to remain at Watford, so lord knows what Palace are paying him.

26 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I saw that Hughes turned down £60k a week to remain at Watford, so lord knows what Palace are paying him.

If Palace go down, won't they be in some serious trouble? It's just a perception but that wage bill seems to be growing at one hell of a rate.

18 minutes ago, 1902 said:

If Palace go down, won't they be in some serious trouble? It's just a perception but that wage bill seems to be growing at one hell of a rate.

So might we? It's all relative to income.

Palace will get a higher parachute payment than us. I would imagine there are also relegation clauses in the contracts, just like we will have.

50 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Ouch, that explains that one then!!!

23 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Yeah, their business model seems to be to offer players who have failed at bigger clubs massive wages to play for them instead. All a bit bizarre if you ask me but the Palace fans seem happy enough

Edited by AJ

Well, just over 4 days of the window left… things are going to start to get going across the leagues now. Every chance we see some of the slowburner work we’ve been doing suddenly come together very quickly, especially with clubs feeling the pressure of the window about to close in both a selling and a buying sense.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed today is the day we wrap up our business so the club can go into tomorrow’s match day with all the plans for the season finished and focus firmly on what’s ahead. 

7 minutes ago, AJ said:

Yeah, their business model seems to be to offer players who have failed at bigger clubs massive wages to play for them instead. All a bit bizarre if you ask me but the Palace fans seem happy enough

Not sure that is the case this season- in fact they've hugely moved away from that, releasing several veterans on likely high wages and investing in younger talents.

11 minutes ago, 1902 said:

They had some head room in their budget after removing a lot of their older players who were on high wages.

They have a 4 wealthy co-owners so they will likely be able to take the financial hit, and have saleable assets in Guehi, Anderson and Zaha so would be alright in the short term.

Their squad still looks thin though, especially in attack - over the first two games they have managed 11 shots in total (Norwich made more against Liverpool alone). If they can get the new players to click they could be okay, but without anymore additions they will need Eze to get back and start firing straight away.

42 minutes ago, 1902 said:

TBF, they did a great deal to reduce their wages bill earlier in the summer, letting lots of high earners go for free and refusing to renew others if they wouldn't accept the offer given.

They still carry a lot of debt.

Thanks all for the well informed info on Palace, will be interesting how that turns out. 

9 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Thanks all for the well informed info on Palace, will be interesting how that turns out. 

It did look like Palace ran out of cash which led to the clearout and Hodgeson leaving. They have however found a sugardaddy/mug to cover the debt although no sign of the cash to upgrade the ground.

It is hoped that Textor’s investment of £87.5m for what is believed to be a substantial percentage of the club close to Parish’s 18% controlling stake will significantly reduce debts at Selhurst Park and help to redevelop the stadium, with plans for a new main stand yet to progress despite years of planning.

Could go either way, would be handy if they struggled

15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

They have a 4 wealthy co-owners

I don't know who you are including as your four wealthy owners as there is a degree of mystery around their ownership as most of it is through a Delaware based company. As far as I can see though the owners have lent the money to the club rather than issued new equity (Steve Parrish's 18% remains undiluted) - which suggests that they are pretty keen on getting it back! The recent "£87.5 million investment" looks like it is probably a combination of a loan and the purchase of shares by previous owners (Browett and Hoskin are no longer directors.)

9 minutes ago, BigFish said:

It did look like Palace ran out of cash which led to the clearout and Hodgeson leaving. They have however found a sugardaddy/mug to cover the debt although no sign of the cash to upgrade the ground.

See my post above. He seems to have bought existing shares - as far as I can see no new equity has been issued + 2 old directors have gone. (See above)

The rest seems to be a loan - so not really a "sugar daddy."

I'm not sure how reliable this article is but it estimate his wealth at "at least $250 million" - I'd like to have it, but not really an owner that can give money to the club over a sustained period!

https://www.latestcelebarticles.com/john-textor/

Edited by Badger

Who cares about Palace ... meanwhile we have one player who can play the Defensive Central Midfield role and its not his natural position. Four days to go.... will define our season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

See my post above. He seems to have bought existing shares - as far as I can see no new equity has been issued + 2 old directors have gone. (See above)

The rest seems to be a loan - so not really a "sugar daddy."

I'm not sure how reliable this article is but it estimate his wealth at "at least $250 million" - I'd like to have it, but not really an owner that can give money to the club over a sustained period!

https://www.latestcelebarticles.com/john-textor/

I think we are violently agreeing Mr B, if his value is £87.5m for a stake of close to 18% that would value Palace at close to £500 million, when the actual figure is probably half that. Logical explanation is that about half the new money has gone to servicing the debt, and yes most likely by means of a loan.

Surprised the "investor" fan club didn't jump on this as evidence there investors out there. On second thoughts, even they might see this is not the promised land for Palace.

I think they have problems.

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Who cares about Palace ... meanwhile we have one player who can play the Defensive Central Midfield role and its not his natural position. Four days to go.... will define our season.

Well 7 people have commented in the last hours so... at least 7 posters! (They are4 a rival I'd have thought.)

We have Sorensen + Gilmour.

Have a feeling that there’s something in this Carvalho link y’know. Normann feels like a tough one to get done in the next 4 days given the stories that we’ve heard so far. Carvalho has come out of nowhere and the fact it’s being reported by Sky (as well as some Spanish publications) suggests there’s perhaps more to it than we and the Pinkun boys know.

Of course I’m probably wrong and we’ll end up signing someone who hasn’t been linked with us at all.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Well 7 people have commented in the last hours so... at least 7 posters! (They are4 a rival I'd have thought.)

Agreed, surely Palarse are one of our main targets to finish above - if they go into freefall makes that job easier.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, BigFish said:

I think we are violently agreeing Mr B, if his value is £87.5m for a stake of close to 18% that would value Palace at close to £500 million, when the actual figure is probably half that. Logical explanation is that about half the new money has gone to servicing the debt, and yes most likely by means of a loan.

Surprised the "investor" fan club didn't jump on this as evidence there investors out there. On second thoughts, even they might see this is not the promised land for Palace.

I think they have problems.

Jim thought that they had £87 million "new money" to go with new money of "£50 million" in 2016. The reality then was that the "new money" bought shares of existing shareholder + repaid some of the money that the old owners had lent the club. I suspect that it is very similar with the new investment - repaid loans of other investors + other loans to the club + buying existing shares.

No doubt Palace are better of with it than without it, but not the £127 million "windfall" that Jim seems to think.

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

You think we are ok without a Skipp type player? Sorensen is untested & didn't even star in that role in the championship. Gilmour is too lightweight. As Daniel has said we need a defensive central midfielder badly... good we are now talking City rather than Palace

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I care-I think they’re a team we could finish above so I’ll be paying attention to them. Not sure Will Hughes is a great addition for them really.

45 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

You think we are ok without a Skipp type player? Sorensen is untested & didn't even star in that role in the championship. Gilmour is too lightweight. As Daniel has said we need a defensive central midfielder badly... good we are now talking City rather than Palace

We want to strengthen the team and a CDM has been identified as a position that we can increase our options in, but it is not season defining. Atm Farke is dealing with it by playing a midfield 3, there is nothing to say this won't continue. @Bethnal Yellow and Green has pointed out that a number of the midfielders  we have been linked with arn't actually CDMs, so even if there is a signing it might not change the approach.

50 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Depends, as was being explained to me on this board by some of the tactically more astute posters. It appears Norwich will play two box to box midfielders alongside Gilmour, who will be expected to share the duties of covering the defensive line between them. Dropping back behind Gilmour sometimes and also providing him with an outlet in attack. (Someone can correct me if I misunderstood this)

So PLM, Kenny, Rupp and whoever we bring in will have a lot of ground to cover. To me this seems like a highly flexible system that may take time to get right, and I'm not going to pretend I'm not concerned but if it works, it could work very very well.

My two concerns are the obvious fear that the BBM will not have the defensive prowess needed for this and that I don't know how we adapt that system should Gilmour get injured or have a crisis of form. Do we have a natural playmaker who can sit that deep outside of him in the squad?

However, as much as I love the game, my understanding of football is always paltry by contrast to many others (and my own knowledge of cricket) so I'm sure someone can correct some of my assumptions here.

2 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Depends, as was being explained to me on this board by some of the tactically more astute posters. It appears Norwich will play two box to box midfielders alongside Gilmour, who will be expected to share the duties of covering the defensive line between them. Dropping back behind Gilmour sometimes and also providing him with an outlet in attack. (Someone can correct me if I misunderstood this)

So PLM, Kenny, Rupp and whoever we bring in will have a lot of ground to cover. To me this seems like a highly flexible system that may take time to get right, and I'm not going to pretend I'm not concerned but if it works, it could work very very well.

My two concerns are the obvious fear that the BBM will not have the defensive prowess needed for this and that I don't know how we adapt that system should Gilmour get injured or have a crisis of form. Do we have a natural playmaker who can sit that deep outside of him in the squad?

However, as much as I love the game, my understanding of football is always paltry by contrast to many others (and my own knowledge of cricket) so I'm sure someone can correct some of my assumptions here.

That is how I see it, but the Carvalho links have confused things as he certainly cannot play box-to-box. It could be he was someone Norwich looked at a while back and it is just getting leaked now to try and drum up some interest in him.

The only name we really know is live is Mathias Normann, he is very much a box-to-box player and signing him would probably mean Gilmour remains the player maker while a combination of Normann, PLM and McLean do the hard yards. Sorenson and Rupp could step into Gilmour's position if he is injured.

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That is how I see it, but the Carvalho links have confused things as he certainly cannot play box-to-box. It could be he was someone Norwich looked at a while back and it is just getting leaked now to try and drum up some interest in him.

The only name we really know is live is Mathias Normann, he is very much a box-to-box player and signing him would probably mean Gilmour remains the player maker while a combination of Normann, PLM and McLean do the hard yards. Sorenson and Rupp could step into Gilmour's position if he is injured.

So do you feel that some of the assumptions about Sorensen's role in this squad have been incorrect? That instead of a classic defensive midfielder he is actually being prepared to act as a playmaker who can beat the press. 

Seems more in line with his skill set and physical attributes given his composure.

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I know he is unproven, but think Lungi is a good solution.  All in the eating of course.

• Like 1