Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

52 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

As others have said, looks a strong candidate, the only question is whether his character is such that he would fit in to the togetherness thing at CR.  No harm in trying him and if he doesn't fit in, then Daniel will soon sort hm out and he will either sort himself out, or he will go the way of others who thought they were more importamt than the club.  On a free and at 29 a two year deal would be a good one for both parties.

Edit - have looked at some of his interviews and he comes across pretty well and obviously wants to learn and improve.  Looks like Bn'mth messed up not selling him to MUtd when they had the chance last season, but wanted too much, only for Everton to get him on a reduced fee and now not wanting to extend his contract because of a clause meaning they would have to pay Bnmouth a significant extra sum of money. 

The more you look into it, the more sense it makes and it looks as if he could be a very good addition. 

Could just about see it when I thought he was 24 or 25.  I think we could do worse but I'm sure we're aiming better.

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

Could just about see it when I thought he was 24 or 25.  I think we could do worse but I'm sure we're aiming better.

Should be at his peak, naturally physically strong (claims he never does weights because it just makes him muscle bound) and that is a good thing as he approaches 30.  A good couple of years in him at least.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Josh King is 29, for some reason I thought he was at least 5 years younger. No chance we're signing him.

No issue with signing a player at that age provided the fee and wages aren't too bad. Adding some experience is useful. 

For me, the main issue with King is he hasn't scored a goal since July 2020 and will likely need game time to rediscover any kind of form.

Whether he could get consistent game time when Farke is unlikely to deviate from Pukki up front is questionable, when you add in a not great injury record, the fact he's a striker who has relied on pace and is now 29 and likely high wage demands then the overall package doesn't seem great. There is a real risk he'd end up as another Drmic, a player not fancied and on high wages and zero sell on value.

Obviously if Norwich can get him to sign on lowish wages and only a 2 year contract, then it might be okay but due to his reputation I expect there will be several clubs interested in him on a free and he'll probably be able to get a 3 year deal somewhere on high wages. Definitely worth the club sounding him out, but I wouldn't consider it a particularly 'smart' deal - especially as he seems to have really struggled at Everton to convince them he is worth more than a couple minutes off the bench every now and again.

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

For me, the main issue with King is he hasn't scored a goal since July 2020 and will likely need game time to rediscover any kind of form.

Whether he could get consistent game time when Farke is unlikely to deviate from Pukki up front is questionable, when you add in a not great injury record, the fact he's a striker who has relied on pace and is now 29 and likely high wage demands then the overall package doesn't seem great. There is a real risk he'd end up as another Drmic, a player not fancied and on high wages and zero sell on value.

Obviously if Norwich can get him to sign on lowish wages and only a 2 year contract, then it might be okay but due to his reputation I expect there will be several clubs interested in him on a free and he'll probably be able to get a 3 year deal somewhere on high wages. Definitely worth the club sounding him out, but I wouldn't consider it a particularly 'smart' deal - especially as he seems to have really struggled at Everton to convince them he is worth more than a couple minutes off the bench every now and again.

Bit of a catch 22 though in that players who are starting and scoring regularly are going to cost a fair bit. 

King at least has a track record and while he hasn't played much recently he doesn't have the injury track record of Drmic. Agree the numbers have to be right but I'm not sure his market will be as strong as you suggest.

11 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I know nothing about him but was wondering on similar lines. He has also scored international goals against good sides (both Norway’s goals in their Euro qualifying games against Spain, albeit back in 2019). And he is only a few months older than Hugill. If he can play out wide as well as being a striker he would look like an interesting prospect. But only if his wage demands are not too high and he still has a hunger to play football.

There is a conundrum summed up by two opposing views, both of which are correct! One is that  we cannot and will not bring in a PL-quality striker because the the way we play means they would be unlikely to get much game time etc etc. The opposing view is that we must bring in a PL-quality striker because Hugill and Idah are not up to it and even Pukki may be starting to wane just a bit.

My suggested solution a while back, which apparently the club may be looking at, is for someone who can play on the wing or as a striker. Not a winger who scores a few goals but a dual-purpose player. It seems as if King might fit that bill in the way Antonio has at West Ham. But the club would need to be sure he was up for the fight.

Edited by PurpleCanary

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Whether he could get consistent game time when Farke is unlikely to deviate from Pukki up front is questionable, when you add in a not great injury record, the fact he's a striker who has relied on pace and is now 29 and likely high wage demands then the overall package doesn't seem great.

This is pretty much much my thought. Although I got the impression from recent media that we'd be looking for somebody to compete with the left sided winger more than Pukki. Obviously King can do that but the age, injuries and pace are probably even more important there.

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

the main issue with King is he hasn't scored a goal since July 2020

Isn't this an issue?

According to some sources we have inquired about the availability of Divock Origi.

Presumably a player like this is out of our league in terms of salary and transfer fees and may be a possible loan target...but on the plus side he started only 6% of games last season at Liverpool and he's had two loan stints since joining them. His current contact runs until 2024. 

Now that Liverpool have signed Jota, Origi may have fallen further down the list of likely starters. 

He also plays wide right and wide left as well as striker.

Next season he could be kicking his heels at Liverpool or or hopefully, if this is true, he could be kicking a ball for us. 

Josh who? 

Edited by Bonzo

It all depends how King would come across in those discussions, if we were to have them.

We all know players from Europe will be chomping at the bit to show their quality and may understand the system we have built and their role to Pukki and the group.

If King buys into it, then the discussions go further. My belief is that possibly he knows he could be the main man elsewhere and get possibly a bigger wage or contract.

We do want someone to push Pukki and possibly be that striker/ wide player to challenge for more minutes, due to good form.

King has maybe not shown that recently so it is a tough ask to have a number of players that we may need to install confidence when as mentioned earlier their playing time is less.

8 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

According to some sources we have inquired about the availability of Divock Origi.

Presumably a player like this is out of our league in terms of salary and transfer fees and may be a possible loan target...but on the plus side he started only 6% of games last season at Liverpool and he's had two loan stints since joining them. His current contact runs until 2024. 

Now that Liverpool have sign Jota, Origi may have fallen further down the list of likely starters. 

He also plays wide right and wide left as well as striker.

Next season he could be kicking his heels at Liverpool or or hopefully, if this is true, he could be kicking a ball for us. 

Josh who? 

I see Liverpool are letting marko grugic leave for 10 million. What a signing he’d be. Beast of a cm. 

• Like 1

Josh King: wouldn’t be the first time we’ve signed a player from Everton that’s on the downside of the career hill for an overpriced fee with high wages... 

Those days feel like a lifetime ago now.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

I see Liverpool are letting marko grugic leave for 10 million. What a signing he’d be. Beast of a cm. 

I think this is an interesting sign of a post covid transfer market. He complained last season Liverpool were asking for north of £20m for him and priced him out of a permanent move but now that price has halved.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

Grujic and Origi would be 2 good signings I think either on loan or permanent if possible. Grujic is a good shout because from technical ability to personality, he ticks all the boxes you get with a Farke/Webber signing. Interesting suggestion Vlad 👍

Origi has looked incredible in some of the games where he actually gets a rare chance to impress - when Liverpool turned it around against Barcelona stands out for one. Doubt we’d be able to get him on a permanent, but if a loan for next season were possible then definitely, yes please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlad666 said:

Since I’ve never heard of him he can’t have played much for them in the premier so would he be a good signing if Liverpool don’t think he’s good enough to play in the premier league? Or is this a case of a transfer fee/value just being inflated because of the club he’s at?

The striker conundrum is interesting. No one will displace Pukki unless he gets injured, so why would an established PL striker want to join us? And where would that leave Idah and Hugill?

This will be a fascinating window. I can't see a new striker arriving of any note unless we sell Hugill; and I can't see a centre back of any note because we have limited funds which needs to be spent on a CDM or two, with adequate back up at centre back.

Webber has said any arrivals will be squad improvements - I think that rules out strikers in particular because we can't afford the £15m or so necessary to make that improvement.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I think this is an interesting sign of a post covid transfer market. He complained last season Liverpool were asking for north of £20m for him and priced him out of a permanent move but now that price has halved.

Could well be due to a combination of covid and the inflated asking price, which Liverpool are known for doing with their youngsters. They got £15m plus for Ibe, Solanke and Brewster, and were asking for at least £20m for Harry Wilson last summer. 

Grujic sounds on paper a great signing, but having just had a quick Google, there would likely be interest from clubs bigger than ourselves considering that he has had a very good season for Porto.

Most importantly I think we need a striker/wide striker who plays similarly to Pukki (ie runs in behind defenders) as when Pukki is not available it massively impacts on how we okay given our midfielders are constantly looking to play through balls.

King fits the profile in that respect, if not then I would expect us to go fir a youngish player with some genuine pace. 

15 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Since I’ve never heard of him he can’t have played much for them in the premier so would he be a good signing if Liverpool don’t think he’s good enough to play in the premier league? Or is this a case of a transfer fee/value just being inflated because of the club he’s at?

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Could well be due to a combination of covid and the inflated asking price, which Liverpool are known for doing with their youngsters. They got £15m plus for Ibe, Solanke and Brewster, and were asking for at least £20m for Harry Wilson last summer. 

Grujic sounds on paper a great signing, but having just had a quick Google, there would likely be interest from clubs bigger than ourselves considering that he has had a very good season for Porto.

Interesting he's now pegged as having a good season as I remember looking at him earlier on and the consensus was he'd struggled at Porto- so I'm assuming he turned it around 2nd half of the season. 

19 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The striker conundrum is interesting. No one will displace Pukki unless he gets injured, so why would an established PL striker want to join us? And where would that leave Idah and Hugill?

This will be a fascinating window. I can't see a new striker arriving of any note unless we sell Hugill; and I can't see a centre back of any note because we have limited funds which needs to be spent on a CDM or two, with adequate back up at centre back.

Webber has said any arrivals will be squad improvements - I think that rules out strikers in particular because we can't afford the £15m or so necessary to make that improvement.

Idah is the big wildcard here- the noises coming from the club suggest they really rate him and one thing you can't question is Farke/Webber's knowledge of when a young player is ready. So while I, based on my knowledge of Idah, think the club should bring in a new striker to challenge Pukki, if they believe Idah can do that already then I'll trust them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Have we actually been linked? Or is this being driven by a fan suggesting him as a signing?

There was a link for origi and I noted that grugic had been made available. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Interesting he's now pegged as having a good season as I remember looking at him earlier on and the consensus was he'd struggled at Porto- so I'm assuming he turned it around 2nd half of the season. 

To be fair, I'm mainly basing that on the fact that I saw a few articles saying Porto want to sign him permanently. I assume he must have done reasonably well for that happen.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I would be surprised if we paid £15m for a player, but I can see us breaking our transfer record. And it depends where we are buying from. I doubt a striker or winger/striker from a cash-strapped French club who would be a distinct improvement on Hugill and Idah would cost anything like £15m.

I think we also forget that roght now we are quite an attractive location for some players, even international players.

Krul, Dutch international, Pukki Finish International, Dimi Greek international, Buendia Argentinian international and loads of u21 internationals. Let's not forget Placheta in the Euros, alongside Hanley, McLean would be there and we have Idah a Republic international on the bench. I have also not listed Lungi, Hernandez and others but we have a strong international team.

We are filling our team with players who are getting international recognition because of our ethos.

Of course we are not established in the Premier league but we have been there a number of years and have developed players who are going on to bigger things.

Roll on the opening of the window!!

• Like 2