Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

1 hour ago, birchfest said:

It’s a pretty silly thing to say ‘why don’t they get on with it’. Yeah good one, I bet they didn’t think of that.

A club of our size has the balance of firstly finding someone who is good enough for our current standard but ideally a little better to improve our squad. You then have to factor in who of that bracket is within the price range we can afford or if the selling club would make it almost impossible. Then you need the player themselves to actually be open to coming here and accepting a wage in our set up, and that’s without getting into first finding out if they will fit our club culture as a person, as the best player in the world won’t be that if they come in and disrupt the squad and anger Farke.

After all that, you then have a slow market which means most clubs don’t want to sell unless they know they have a replacement lined up, which in turn can be a problematic as all of the above.

You can bypass most of that normally if you’re a huge club with bottomless pockets, but then again look at Man City. ‘WHY DONT THEY JUST HURRY UP AND BUY KANE, AND NOT WRITE OFF THE FIRST GAMES OF THE SEASON’….

You do realise we got promoted in mid April?  If you asked Norwich fans which is the one key position to strengthen ahead of next season I think 90% of them would have said a defensive midfielder: I’m sorry I just don’t accept that we can’t get one in until the last week of the transfer window if it was a genuine priority. And no I don’t just want any defensive midfielder available but we should have addressed this much earlier. I can only presume they were holding out in the hope that Skipp would be made available again because I’m struggling to think of any other explanation as to why this hasn’t been addressed. 

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Huh? Todd plays AM.

If we sign another striker, I think it's more likely that Idah could be loaned out to get regular football.

Yes Todd plays AM or LW, RW. Sargent can play RW. Pukki played AM behind Jerome in first season. Find it strange to be linked to this guy at 29 to be on the bench, when he starting for Galatasaray. 

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

You do realise we got promoted in mid April?  If you asked Norwich fans which is the one key position to strengthen ahead of next season I think 90% of them would have said a defensive midfielder: I’m sorry I just don’t accept that we can’t get one in until the last week of the transfer window if it was a genuine priority. And no I don’t just want any defensive midfielder available but we should have addressed this much earlier. I can only presume they were holding out in the hope that Skipp would be made available again because I’m struggling to think of any other explanation as to why this hasn’t been addressed. 

Doesn’t matter if you get it or not, It half sounds like you’d settle for dross or bend over to the selling clubs demands for someone who isn’t worth it just for the sake of having it done. As others keep pointing out, they don’t make signings in order of priority and a bit like Tzolis who they thought they would have had earlier in the window there are so many factors that change and move. 

I’m fairly sure the club will have had the inside track on Skipp too, and likely have known for probably a month or so that he isn’t coming back. But to quote Webber, he is always welcome back but we are planning for life without him. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Couldn;t really care less about any further striker links or indeed this Man u kid on loan. The only signing i am bothered about now is a defensive midfielder and the silence on that is absolutely deafening. Get on with it Webber. Not acceptable to just write off the first month of the season as if it doesn;t count. 

You're not stupid Jim, so stop pretending to be on a forum.

I don't know for sure how important Webber see's a DM, but even if it was the most important in his book, it doesn't mean you can get it over the line first. Some of the most important transfers in football history have happened at the end of a window, for massive clubs with unlimited finances. What makes you think we can simply dictate when we get somebody?

• Like 2

WATFORD SIGN TUFAN

Watford have announced the signing of Turkey international midfielder Ozan Tufan from Fenerbahce, on a season-long loan with an option to buy.

The 26-year-old arrives with nearly ten years of top-flight experience in his home country, as well as 63 international caps with Turkey. 

Weren't we linked with this guy at some point?

3 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

WATFORD SIGN TUFAN

Watford have announced the signing of Turkey international midfielder Ozan Tufan from Fenerbahce, on a season-long loan with an option to buy.

The 26-year-old arrives with nearly ten years of top-flight experience in his home country, as well as 63 international caps with Turkey. 

Jim wanted him desperately 😃

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Samwam27 said:

WATFORD SIGN TUFAN

Yep, this signing was mentioned a page or 2 back. Watched him with special interest at the Euro’s because of our alleged interest but don’t think he had a single decent game to be honest. 

Anyway, 10 or 11 days left of the window so things should start getting more interesting again in these coming days! 

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Based on what? We haven't seen him play there yet.

Well that's the point; Farke seems to be reluctant to pick him, so presumably he's seen something in training he doesn't like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Well that's the point; Farke seems to be reluctant to pick him, so presumably he's seen something in training he doesn't like.

Yet he got an extended contract in June...which makes it more puzzling.

47 minutes ago, Baracouda said:

Yes Todd plays AM or LW, RW. Sargent can play RW. Pukki played AM behind Jerome in first season. Find it strange to be linked to this guy at 29 to be on the bench, when he starting for Galatasaray. 

If, and that is a solid 'if' we are even interested in him, why would Todd have to go? As I said, Todd is AM, and whilst Pukki played behind Rhodes for the first three games of his career with us, it doesn't mean that this guy, who is a forward, is going to be signed to push Pukki into AM in place of Todd...

At this point it is far more likely to be one in, one out, in any of our positions that are well subscribed. We currently have four strikers when we usually play with one up top. Three is suffice. We have Tzolis and Rashica who have also played as strikers if needed.

Hugill will likely leave, so far as we have been told. So if we bring in another striker, it's likely to signal that one of the other strikers is going, either on loan or permanently. It won't be Sargent as we've only just signed him for good money. I can't see Pukki going unless we have been offered silly money. So that leaves Idah. 

15 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Come to think of it, Sørensen was also one of the Covid-hit ones, and he wasn't getting much game time last season simply as Skipp was there.

59 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

This is quite interesting. Is it possible Williams could actually come in for Rupp? 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2020/08/05/ole-gunnar-solskjaer-hints-brandon-williams-develop-central-midfielder-13085441/amp/

now that is interesting.. certainly no reason he couldn't succeed as a central midfielder

Phil Neville did something similar and played both fullback positions and of course central midfield..

I do remember Bowen playing as a makeshift central midfielder alongside Neil Adams! i think was only one game during a midfield crisis in about 1996?

17 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I remember Steven Whittaker playing in midfield...

Exactly what I was going to say. Let's keep the pegs round please.

23 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Exactly what I was going to say. Let's keep the pegs round please.

what about Chris Sutton? Dion Dublin? Rob Newman? they were pegs in multiple errrmmm holes

Twitter has been saying we offered a €2m loan + €14m option to buy on Normann - you can see why that’d be good for us, but less so for them as they lose a key player for the season for a not huge sum, with no guarantee of the fee at the end of it. Not sure I’d be jumping at that deal if it were us as the seller, a bit more might be needed. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Twitter has been saying we offered a €2m loan + €14m option to buy on Normann - you can see why that’d be good for us, but less so for them as they lose a key player for the season for a not huge sum, with no guarantee of the fee at the end of it. Not sure I’d be jumping at that deal if it were us as the seller, a bit more might be needed. 

Reliable Twitter, if that is not an oxymoron?! An option to buy or a commitment to buy if we stay up, I wonder. If it is true that Rostov paid about 9m pounds for Normann then 16m euros would be  very roughly 4.7m pounds more than they shelled out.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Reliable Twitter, if that is not an oxymoron?! An option to buy or a commitment to buy if we stay up, I wonder. If it is true that Rostov paid about 9m pounds for Normann then 16m euros would be  very roughly 4.7m pounds more than they shelled out.

Not that it’s necessarily true, it’s interesting to see the sort of figures mentioned.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

3038D22E-01B5-401F-BC6D-62BE4AE3B664.png

7 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Rostov paid about £1.5m for Normann. 

17 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Rostov paid about £1.5m for Normann. 

Ha! A senior moment. Thanks. I misremembered what the £9m figure associated with Rostov was. But if it was only about £1.5m and if - very much if - that total of 16m euros is right then it is a big increase.

The thing with Normann, who is a talented player, is he is more a box-to-box type than someone who will just sit deep in front of the defence. One of his biggest assets is his ability to dribble with the ball and carry it up the pitch. 

With players like him and Billing being targets - it does seem like Norwich are not going to have a Skipp style player, but by utilising a three man midfield, look for a couple of players either side of Gilmour to get up and down the pitch. 

This does make sense in many ways -Gilmour’s best displays for Chelsea were probably in Lampard’s 4-3-3 when he played the role of the deepest defender. Kante played more as an 8 with the role of helping in defence when out of possession. 

Gilmour probably needs to learn a bit more discipline in playing this way for Norwich rather than Chelsea due to the amount of defending the respective clubs need to do. But Skipp also needed to learn this in his first few games for Norwich. Farke specifically mentioned that Skipp needed to improve his position right at the beginning of last season when the hype was starting to get a bit to big for his liking. 

An overall package of €16m for Normann seems very high for him. I expect it is the loan part Rostov don’t like - the ‘obligation’ to buy would probably be reliant on Norwich not getting relegated and I can see why Rostov wouldn’t want to take a gamble on that. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The thing with Normann, who is a talented player, is he is more a box-to-box type than someone who will just sit deep in front of the defence. One of his biggest assets is his ability to dribble with the ball and carry it up the pitch. 

With players like him and Billing being targets - it does seem like Norwich are not going to have a Skipp style player, but by utilising a three man midfield, look for a couple of players either side of Gilmour to get up and down the pitch. 

This does make sense in many ways -Gilmour’s best displays for Chelsea were probably in Lampard’s 4-3-3 when he played the role of the deepest defender. Kante played more as an 8 with the role of helping in defence when out of possession. 

Gilmour probably needs to learn a bit more discipline in playing this way for Norwich rather than Chelsea due to the amount of defending the respective clubs need to do. But Skipp also needed to learn this in his first few games for Norwich. Farke specifically mentioned that Skipp needed to improve his position right at the beginning of last season when the hype was starting to get a bit to big for his liking. 

An overall package of €16m for Normann seems very high for him. I expect it is the loan part Rostov don’t like - the ‘obligation’ to buy would probably be reliant on Norwich not getting relegated and I can see why Rostov wouldn’t want to take a gamble on that. 

Do you think that Normann is a big upgrade over McClean or Rupp?

Sorry if it's been mentioned but just seen Adshead has gone to Gillingham on loan, good move for him and a league one stint could do wonders for his development. Let's hope he gets plenty of game time to add to his 11 league one appearances to date!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thingy said:

Talk of wanting to sign a defensive midfielder but shouldn't we be signing 2 of them?

We've got Gilmour, so need one more really as we also have Lungi who can play there, then we've got McLean, Rupp and Lee-Melou and/or potential Dowell, Rashica and Tzolis to compete for the other spots.

Effectively, assuming we sign Williams, we'd still need a CDM and possibly a CB although it looks like we are fairly happy with the 4 we've got given Lungi can also cover there