Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

56 minutes ago, king canary said:

Where on earth did you get that number from?

It's on the Sky Sports transfer programme that we are in "advanced talks." (My speech marks.)

Tbh they’ve identified that we need a fb, cb and cdm - and it’s all-but inevitable that one of those will be a domestic loan.  To a large extent it doesn’t make a lot of difference which is which - you’d hope they know who they can get in each area and if it suits best for the loan spot to be the fb then Williams is an excellent fit..

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Does this mean Max is on his way? 

Possibly,  imo. And if it then facilitated a £10m addition at CB and CDM it would be a difficult deal to argue against. 

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm taking that list with a sizable pinch of salt- McTominay for instance has been a regular starter and signed a new deal last year, I'd be shocked if he was on £20k p/w. The Daily Mirror reporting of Williams new deal said '£40kp/w rising to £60k' which I'm assuming would be based on number of games played. 

Whichever way you slice it, it isn't a likely to be a cheap deal though.

Depends, if there is no market for him and United don't see themselves getting another serious offer them his current wages maybe irrelevant.

He may be right footed but has generally played at LB including at youth level (also on the left of a back 3 for United, which could be handy) so think it would be an odd signing if it was a like for like Aarons' replacement. Maybe there just wasn't as much interest from Prem teams as Man U expected so they've resorted to sending him to us even though we can't guarantee playing time? Would explain why it had stalled for a few weeks.

18 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Does this mean Max is on his way? 

No. The recent feedback has been more about Byram not being fit to go. So having 3 fit full backs who may be needed to play wing back isn't ideal as they will arguably getting through the most amount of running.

I think our signings are all about flexibility in formation. Williams gives us the option of pushing Giannoulis forward into wingback (lets be fair, he's not the best defender) to play behind Tzolis. He might even be a left side of a 3 at the back, or an option at sitting in front of a back 4. 

• Like 2

Can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed at this, unless Aarons is leaving, but would still have preferred to see Mumba take over his place in that case.  Utd won't let Williams come unless he is guaranteed a certain amount of games and I don't like that aspect either.  It's ok in Gilmour's case as he slots in well, but to oust Aarons/Giannouois or Mumba would not sit comfortably with me - unless he is absolutely brilliant......and is he that? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Anyone know if we can still get international loans ater the 2 domestic loan slots are filled?

Yeah we can, although I think there are some limits. So Williams doesn't cut off the loan market, just what we could get from another Premier League club.

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed at this, unless Aarons is leaving, but would still have preferred to see Mumba take over his place in that case.  Utd won't let Williams come unless he is guaranteed a certain amount of games and I don't like that aspect either.  It's ok in Gilmour's case as he slots in well, but to oust Aarons/Giannouois or Mumba would not sit comfortably with me - unless he is absolutely brilliant......and is he that? 

I have similar concerns but as sgnfc said a bit earlier, Williams can play on the left side of a back 3 or, alternatively, at left-back with Aarons and Giannoulis pushed forward as wing-backs.  I think I read that in the summer Giannoulis played further forward for Greece with the Liverpool left-back Tsikitas behind him.

Of course, it will still mean someone will be ousted from the side (and I don't have a clear idea who, or what the rest of the set-up would be) but if it makes us stronger......

15 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

i'm also unsure what this means - Williams can play left back so he covers Giannoulis but Utd wouldn't send him to be a benchwarmer so it could mean Aarons is off. But then if Aarons goes and Williams takes his berth what does that mean for cover for LB, surely not Bryam as he hasn't played for nearly 2 seasons. 

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Understand what you're saying Lakey but fact is at very least we do need someone else to cover the full back positions...having  just 1 guy, Mumba, to cover two positions is not what the club desires...it only takes one injury to Max  or Dimi...or indeed to Bali...and then any cover is gone.

But Man U are in a similar state...if Alex Telles foot injury  does not recover as planned then they may not sanction this Williams move as they would be left with 1 guy to cover 2 full back  positions. As it is  its the reason why the  loan may not be done until next week anyway.

36 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not sure the club would tie Daniel's hands re game time unless the only punishment for not fulfilling it was a nominal fee - think he is there to push Giannoulis and Aarons all the way - but would agree that I would far rather see Giannoulis play LB/LWB - unless Williams could play LCB?

A quality loanee who can play in two positions and will seriously compete for those spots with the incumbents seems like a good deal to me. Perhaps there isnt anyone else suitable or available for that loan spot? 

• Like 3

I think people are missing the sort of obvious intention of this. We already know our current full backs are better offensively and would work better potentially as wing backs, and we know the 3 at the back is something they want to work on. If he’s been seen to play that position in a back 3 for United then I’m almost certain that’s why we are in for him.

A bit like how England effectively used Walker in a back 3 as then we would have someone with pace at the back to mix it, whilst allowing Gibson and Hanley to step into midfield in bursts. Also allow Max and Dimi to play a little higher and push on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chicken said:

No. The recent feedback has been more about Byram not being fit to go. So having 3 fit full backs who may be needed to play wing back isn't ideal as they will arguably getting through the most amount of running.

That does make sense except it assumes that Williams is prepared to come here to sit on the bench. He's surely not going to displace Dimi or Max. I would have thought first choice full back wasn't a problem position for us and as Tzolis and Rashica play wide it's hard to see how Williams fits unless someone is going or, as @birchfesthas said, we're going to play 3 at the back. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Anyone know if we can still get international loans ater the 2 domestic loan slots are filled?

Yes we can, I think because they're international they're not classes as loans but short term transfers. Not sure if there's a limit or not, but I've seen 2 being quoted. 

Although he has played in a back 3, he is only 5ft 7 so doesn't help us really in height terms - slightly easier for Man U to get away with that in the Europa League or whatever competition they were playing in at the time. I personally think that it's likely no prem team could guarantee he would start, so they are resigned to him going somewhere as occasional back up with Dalot and Telles already in those roles at Man U. If he joins he's probably second choice at LB and RB so has a decent chance of playing a fair few games.

26 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

A quality loanee who can play in two positions and will seriously compete for those spots with the incumbents seems like a good deal to me. Perhaps there isnt anyone else suitable or available for that loan spot? 

Pretty much this. I would imagine we were waiting on the Skipp situation to see if that was possible first, but he played on Saturday (and played very well!) so that is well and truly out of the question now.

Although I totally trust SW & DF with the recruitment, this signing doesn’t make sense, unless like someone has already mentioned, Max is being sold. We’ve got Mumba & Sorenson who can do a good job in the fullback positions, if called upon. 

From what I've gathered from MUFC supporters, williams would be 3rd choice for either RB/LB at United, and likely not going to get much if any game time. Their thought is that if he is at Norwich he would be 2nd choice behind Aarons/Giannoulis so they're playing the odds that one of the two mentioned pick up an injury or that Williams would be a first choice sub and thus the loan would make sense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Although I totally trust SW & DF with the recruitment, this signing doesn’t make sense, unless like someone has already mentioned, Max is being sold. We’ve got Mumba & Sorenson who can do a good job in the fullback positions, if called upon. 

I'd imagine that Farke/Webber don't agree on at least one of those. Farke was pretty clear towards the end of last season that Sorenson was a midfielder in his eyes, not a fill in fullback and Mumba has played about 10 professional games his whole career, so I'm not surprised if they don't fancy putting all their eggs in those baskets at fullback.

• Like 2

Unless Max is leaving we could have put the £4-5m (£2m loan fee plus wages) it will cost to get Williams through the door to better use.  Loan may require him to play which is even crazier we can cover FB positions from current squad Aarons, Giannoulis, Sorensen and Mumba.  Surely towards close of transfer market a PL CB will be available Palace have 6 apparently and Liverpool overly stocked with return of VVD, Gomez and Matip.

Farke half-jokingly spoke about getting one of the Liverpool CB's on loan now they have a plethora of options there. I wonder whether they informally spoke about a loan for 24-year old Nat Phillips. Phillips is more in the mould of a Hanley (monster in the air) rather than a ball-playing defender.  

35 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Squad depth. Last time we had loads of centre backs out - this time it could just as easily be full backs.

• Like 1

I really don't see the issue with this. The positions we have found hard to fill are centre back and defensive midfielder (for a long time as well). Finding back up full backs has rarely been our issue.

The club rate Mumba, but don't see Sorensen as a fullback and Byram isn't fit. As others have alluded to, this forum would go spare if Aarons was injured next week and we were constantly exposed by playing a make shift or inexperienced fullback.

As I see it, this leaves more money to spend on the two positions where I feel we have consistently struggled to recruit sufficient quality for ages.

• Like 2