Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

44 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I may be controversial here, well actually very much so I fear...but I'm really hopeful this bloke is the real deal and that in the course of this season he forms a solid pairing with one other. And that one other for me is Omobamadele. I've seen enough of Andrew to see a lot of potential in him as a CB. He reads the game, passes well and has speed.

Controversial I realise because I don't think we've had a great CB pairing since Bruce and Watson. Hanley and Gibson are fine (and I like them) but I'm still to be convinced they are up to a PL job. I hope I'm proved wrong of course.

Nor, I realise, is Andrew O. He hasn't been tested. But I haven't been able to get rid of what has felt like a forlorn hope of seeing a truly excellent CB pairing at NCFC. One with future potential. I wondered if Godfrey might have been half of an anchor pair but he was sold quickly. 

Kabak is real quality from what I've seen and read. Omobamadele has the potential. Not sure if others feel the same? This ISN'T me having a go at Grant Hanley or Ben Gibson. I support them 100%. 

Real hopes that Kabak is star quality and an upgrade on Grant and Ben. It is good to have more options and that is one of the lessons from last time. With Zimm we now have a more solid back up and squad depth with 5 CBs. With Kabak we might have our No.1 position CB.

That would mean a back four of three 21 year-olds and a 19-year old . Not sure that would wise in the PL.

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

That would mean a back four of three 21 year-olds and a 19-year old . Not sure that would wise in the PL.

That’s what Alan Hansen said, Horsey! 🍼

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

I may be controversial here, well actually very much so I fear...but I'm really hopeful this bloke is the real deal and that in the course of this season he forms a solid pairing with one other. And that one other for me is Omobamadele. I've seen enough of Andrew to see a lot of potential in him as a CB. He reads the game, passes well and has speed.

Controversial I realise because I don't think we've had a great CB pairing since Bruce and Watson. Hanley and Gibson are fine (and I like them) but I'm still to be convinced they are up to a PL job. I hope I'm proved wrong of course.

Nor, I realise, is Andrew O. He hasn't been tested. But I haven't been able to get rid of what has felt like a forlorn hope of seeing a truly excellent CB pairing at NCFC. One with future potential. I wondered if Godfrey might have been half of an anchor pair but he was sold quickly. 

Kabak is real quality from what I've seen and read. Omobamadele has the potential. Not sure if others feel the same? This ISN'T me having a go at Grant Hanley or Ben Gibson. I support them 100%. 

Real hopes that Kabak is star quality and an upgrade on Grant and Ben. It is good to have more options and that is one of the lessons from last time. With Zimm we now have a more solid back up and squad depth with 5 CBs. With Kabak we might have our No.1 position CB.

I would say it's a bit early to expect a lot from Omobamidele. I would say he was the weakest of the back four Vs Bournemouth and played some poor balls - hospital balls, to Williams. Part of it was our philosophy to pass it out, the other was just knowing when getting rid is the safest bet and playing a heavy ball to a player in a dead end with a player already against them isn't helpful.

That's not to say he's rubbish - it's just a word of caution that I don't think he is quite there yet. I can see him as one of three CB's as he'd have some wise words in his ear, but to throw him in alongside a player we are only just about to sign, would represent a huge risk.

Best not to put that much expectation on Omobamidele yet - even if that just represents ideas in our own minds. 

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Indeed, this was often held up as one of our problems last time. Three very talented Under-21 defenders in the back four who impressed as individuals, but the lack of experience showed.

Aarons and Kabak have plenty of experience now for 21-year-olds; fingers crossed they have enough.

7 minutes ago, chicken said:

I would say it's a bit early to expect a lot from Omobamidele. I would say he was the weakest of the back four Vs Bournemouth and played some poor balls - hospital balls, to Williams. Part of it was our philosophy to pass it out, the other was just knowing when getting rid is the safest bet and playing a heavy ball to a player in a dead end with a player already against them isn't helpful.

That's not to say he's rubbish - it's just a word of caution that I don't think he is quite there yet. I can see him as one of three CB's as he'd have some wise words in his ear, but to throw him in alongside a player we are only just about to sign, would represent a huge risk.

Best not to put that much expectation on Omobamidele yet - even if that just represents ideas in our own minds. 

Oh I would definitely agree here. I was thinking  very much over the longer term.

My main point was the wish in  establishing a very high quality CB pairing. One we would really recognise. Perhaps Gibson and Hanley will develop well but I just have doubts (which I've aired).

Re Omobamidele, of course you only develop that kind of understanding with experience in the first eleven. And let's face it he will probably not get that this year in the Prem.

I didn't see his performance in the Bournemouth match so I will defer to your take. No doubt now he will be learning lots with Hanley and others alongside him.

I also want to see a CB score  maybe 5 or so goals a season! Not asking for much am I?😅

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Just seen that Spurs are closing in on Barcelona right-back Emerson Royal, which pretty much rules out any chance of a last-minute raid for Max. 

Unless it's from Barcelona.

I think we're done for this window now bar a last minute ambush for Todd or Max which will be rebuffed.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Webber's phone is red hot from Championship clubs enquiring about possible loans.

6 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

They can't afford him. 

Unless it's a loan with an obligation to buy if they stay up.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

So if we were offered £40m for TC or £30m for Max on the last day what would we do? 

Switch everyone’s phone off and lock the doors.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

So if we were offered £40m for TC or £30m for Max on the last day what would we do? 

40 million for Cantwell? He's gone. Feel like we need Max more due to the lack of rightback cover

39 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Unless it's from Barcelona.

I think we're done for this window now bar a last minute ambush for Todd or Max which will be rebuffed.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Webber's phone is red hot from Championship clubs enquiring about possible loans.

Not going to happen. Early doors SW said any bid would need to start with the figure 3, and in time for us to source and recruit a replacement.💛💚

1 minute ago, LaUnionCanary said:

Not going to happen. Early doors SW said any bid would need to start with the figure 3, and in time for us to source and recruit a replacement.💛💚

Michael Bailey has confirmed this too.

Screenshot_20210830-171847_Samsung Internet.jpg

11 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Michael Bailey has confirmed this too.

Screenshot_20210830-171847_Samsung Internet.jpg

Pretty sure the account that started the rumours was a troll/banter account that was simply doing some wishful thinking more than any real links

42 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Todd maybe you’d say yes, no new contract and a gamble what he’s worth next year. Max no way  for me, the FB positions are strong right now, decimating that on deadline day for only what he’s worth seems dumb to me.

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

That’s what Alan Hansen said, Horsey! 🍼

True! Not sure what the average age of the Man U defence was that season however. Plus, they were indeed Man U. I think Alan may feel safer saying that about us.

Edited by horsefly

And just like that the 20/21 transfer window for us is done. 

I’m tempted to go back to the first couple of pages and compare what we ended up with, I think I’d give us an 8.5/10 for this window. I see the concepts, I see the intention and I see some pretty clever moves. 

till January! 

2 minutes ago, birchfest said:

I’m tempted to go back to the first couple of pages and compare what we ended up with, I think I’d give us an 8.5/10 for this window. I see the concepts, I see the intention and I see some pretty clever moves. 

till January! 

Wonder if there will be a one more thing moment tomorrow… but suspect you are right. All bases covered, great window.

Edited by Monty13

Yep ... no more incoming now. Put your feet up tomorrow and relish a wonderful window completed before deadline day!

Well done Webber ... you said we would be able to invest properly after paying off the sins of the past and you've lived up to your word. 👏

Screenshot_20210830-192352_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yep definitely done for ins now. Suspect a couple of outs tomorrow, or a mutual termination with Klose. 

36 minutes ago, birchfest said:

till January! 

We’re technically in the 2021/22 seasons window, Birchy, so it’s not over for this season just yet ; ). It’ll be interesting to see what the winter window brings though in terms of ins and outs, my guess is that all eyes will centre around one individual in particular - Todd Cantwell. 

A very good window with exciting international additions who do add to our first XI and we have a bench now that can hurt teams.

It is up to the group to study opposition, build an understanding and execute plans. The pieces are here it is now time to gel and make our team tough to beat and execute well in attack. I really hope we see clinical execution in the final third as we will be outsiders still but we have players who can be difference makers.

A great window on paper and well bring on Arsenal, what a great way to get some of the new guys set up. A pressure cooker game and momentum with us in regard to a squad with new additions since our last result. Lot of grumbles at Arsenal and then let's see, that game like Liverpool and man City will not define our season.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Proven Prem goalscorer leaving for free and he's not coming to us? smh Webber worst transfer window of all time 😉

Surprised no one in the Prem were looking at him. Shane Long is still kicking around and it's been a lot longer since he was lethal.