Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I know, I know. And of course Kante is often seen as one of the worlds best defensive midfielders.. He's won the Prem, he's won the FA cup, he's won the Champions league and he's even won the world cup.. And yet he's like 5ft 5.

End of the day I don't know too much about Normann so yes I should not be speaking about things I know little about, and end of the day clearly Webber and Farke think he's good enough to make the big big step up to the Prem so I should really listen to them and 'trust the project' and all..

But I don't know I just feel that if we are going to be spending big money and making an all time record transfer for a player who will be playing in a defensive position that we clearly very much need and someone to be our 'new Skipp' I just had hopes that we would go with the 'Tall, strong aged and has played at least 100 matches in the Premier League' kind of mould rather than the unknown and untested route. Is that too much to ask for these days? I know how expensive those kinds of players can be both cost wise and wages wise but hey if we are going to be breaking the bank for a 'big massive surprise signing' as has been hinted at I was hoping it would be in that kind of mould, you know?

The club has never once said it would be breaking the bank. Not surprising, really, since our self-funding model means we cannot afford to do that. There has been talk of breaking our transfer record, while staying within a feasible budget, but so far none of the basic fees for the new signings has done that. Buying Normann (if we are buying him outright) might, of course.

But, to repeat, if you seriously thought we could afford the kind of proven EPL player you've described, with some years of top-flight football left in them, then you have understood zilch. Even if we could afford a massive one-off transfer fee the wages, including the knock-on effect on what we would have to play the rest of the squad, would bankrupt us.

38 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I was under the impression Rostov only wanted a guaranteed sale

That was their initial stance. I wonder if they have backed down from that, or more worryingly we have committed to buying him regardless of what league we are in.

Or we're buying him outright now.

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

That was their initial stance. I wonder if they have backed down from that, or more worryingly we have committed to buying him regardless of what league we are in.

I can't vouch for its accuracy, but this is one report out of Norway today:

VG return with a fresh story on Sunday morning, and they now say Norwich and Rostov have ‘reached an agreement’ for the transfer. It will be a loan with an obligation buy, although it’s not explained if there’s any clauses which that would be dependent on.

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

But I don't know I just feel that if we are going to be spending big money and making an all time record transfer for a player who will be playing in a defensive position that we clearly very much need and someone to be our 'new Skipp' I just had hopes that we would go with the 'Tall, strong aged and has played at least 100 matches in the Premier League'

Ollie Skipp 1.75m

Mathias Normann 1.79m

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So who will be dropped to accommodate Normann? Based on performances so far I would say Gilmour. 

PLM has really struggled so far with the intensity and physicality of the league. Think he’s most at threat. 

• Like 1

Two goals and eight assists in 56 games for Rostov. He's definitely not an attacking midfielder with that sort of output.

49 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Hopefully buying him. Hate lots of loans.

26 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So who will be dropped to accommodate Normann? Based on performances so far I would say Gilmour. 

Gilmour, Lees-Melou and Normann just behind them in the defensive midfield role where Gilmour is playing right now. Midfield sorted.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Gilmour, Lees-Melou and Normann just behind them in the defensive midfield role where Gilmour is playing right now. Midfield sorted.

Harsh on McLean though. Thought he did well yesterday and is one of the few players we have who looks dangerous from set pieces.

• Like 1

Would prefer Normann/Gilmour in front of defence. That would allow us Cantwell, Rash, Tzlosis behind Pukki/Sargent for a 4-2-3-1.

Not sure we're strong enough though, so expect Gilmour, Lees-Melou/Mclean and Normann and a front three of Pukki/Sargent, Rash/Tzlosis & Cantwell

24 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

PLM has really struggled so far with the intensity and physicality of the league. Think he’s most at threat. 

I think PLM has been much more solid with his performances this season than Gilmour. Very lightweight and missing defensive effort. On the other hand, maybe with good DM that would not be as harmful as it currently has. Very different kind of players, PLM and Gilmour, so don't think that in the end it will not be decided between their performance so far but more on role that we need in given match.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How's about this if we are going on about formation?

11.png

I'd put Giannoulis on just for that potential partnership with Tzolis. Think it probably should be Williams / Cantwell together, and Giannoulis / Tzolis together.

Yeah, Giannoulis in and Gilmour will still be the deepest part of the mifield on average. I also think McLean is probably ahead of Lees-Melou right now.

Edited by KeiranShikari

57 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It is possible we have agreed to a deal we don't think is financially ideal. But although there may be a bit of spin coming out on this, I suspect, based on how Davitt et have been reporting this over some weeks now, that  Normann was always our first choice. If so it gives the lie to some claims frequently made here.

Firstly, that we always start by seriously underbiding and never go beyond a certain previously fixed point, even if a million or so more will clinch the deal. If we have an obligation to buy Normann that is a big financial commitment we probably would have preferred not to make.

Secondly, that we have only just woken up to the need for a physical central midfielder. Some transfer deals are quick and easy, but many are not, and it seems this fell into the latter category. Reading the remarks of some posters it is obvious none of them have ever bought a property, especially in a chain, or if they have they have wiped the awful memory.

But we stuck with it because we preferred getting our first choice eventually for what we had always regarded as a crucial position rather than second or third best straight away.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hepphep said:

I think PLM has been much more solid with his performances this season than Gilmour. Very lightweight and missing defensive effort. On the other hand, maybe with good DM that would not be as harmful as it currently has. Very different kind of players, PLM and Gilmour, so don't think that in the end it will not be decided between their performance so far but more on role that we need in given match.

According to WyScout, PLM failed in 7 of his 8 defensive duels against Leicester. He was constantly bypasses by the Leicester midfielders and caught out of position a number of times. Gilmour only missed one defensive duel, which was the one that lead to the goal unfortunately, and made more interceptions than PLM. 

Lees-Melou is a good player, but like many, has been a little caught out by the speed of the Premier League. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That’s not Normann’s or Glimour’s preferred positions. 

It might be when they get to Norwich.

2 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

It might be when they get to Norwich.

Norwich aren't going to sign who's main skillset is being a dynamo and then make him sit and hold.

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

Norwich aren't going to sign who's main skillset is being a dynamo and then make him sit and hold.

You mean like they've done with Gilmour so far?

Mail on Sunday has linked us with Schalke's CB Ozan Kabak - not sure on the authenticity of it but the Pinkun have made an article about it

1 minute ago, WSM said:

Mail on Sunday has linked us with Schalke's CB Ozan Kabak - not sure on the authenticity of it but the Pinkun have made an article about it

Now that would be a great signing, sadly I'll be amazed if it's true.

Just now, TheGoogler said:

The last thing Gilmour is, is a ‘dynamo’. He broke through at Chelsea as the central, defensive midfielder in a 4-3-3 ie where he plays for Norwich. In Tuchel 3-4-3 he was the deepest of the midfield two. Gilmour is a defensive midfielder, he is definitely not a box-to-box and would be wasted playing there. 

So we still don't have a holding midfielder then. It seems as though the midfield 3 are going to have to rotate themselves around a bit with 1 being disciplined so we don't get cut to bits when we lose the ball.

I'll admit I'm not hugely confident in this, but we'll wait until we see it in action I guess.

3 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

That's not what's happened at all though. He's not a box to box or an advanced player. He just has the likes of Kante around him at Chelsea.

39 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Lees Melou should be dropped if we continue with a 4-3-3

if we go for 4-2-3-1 then two of them need to make way 

14 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That’s not Normann’s or Glimour’s preferred positions. 

According to the info I’ve seen Normann has regularly played as the “single pivot” for Rostov