Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Never been fond of defensive midfielders under 6ft but here's hoping he does well.. Just a shame we are going for the 'untested and unproven in the Prem' route for a position we badly need experience in

He has much more experience than Skipp, and a mid-twenties proven Premier League defensive midfielder would have been way out of our transfer fund and wage budget.

19 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The last time the Norman's came to Norwich they built the castle and the cathedral - lets hope this one can leave just such a lasting impression.

Those Viking boys sure knew how to build. 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Remember when East Anglia was it's own independent country as the Kingdom of East Anglia ..? Good times

Bloody vikings

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

He has much more experience than Skipp, and a mid-twenties proven Premier League defensive midfielder would have been way out of our transfer fund and wage budget.

Yes, he has experience playing in the Norwegian and Russian divisons. I'm sure that means he's ready to step up straight against some of the best teams in the toughest divison in the entire world 😉

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Never been fond of defensive midfielders under 6ft. 

Billy Bremner? Nobby Stiles? and best of all Trevor Hockey. 

He's a Norwegian midfielder bought to this country by Chris Hughton. Does that remind you of anyone? 

Got to be a good sign. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

He's a Norwegian midfielder bought to this country by Chris Hughton. Does that remind you of anyone? 

Got to be a good sign. 

I know, I know. And of course Kante is often seen as one of the worlds best defensive midfielders.. He's won the Prem, he's won the FA cup, he's won the Champions league and he's even won the world cup.. And yet he's like 5ft 5.

End of the day I don't know too much about Normann so yes I should not be speaking about things I know little about, and end of the day clearly Webber and Farke think he's good enough to make the big big step up to the Prem so I should really listen to them and 'trust the project' and all..

But I don't know I just feel that if we are going to be spending big money and making an all time record transfer for a player who will be playing in a defensive position that we clearly very much need and someone to be our 'new Skipp' I just had hopes that we would go with the 'Tall, strong aged and has played at least 100 matches in the Premier League' kind of mould rather than the unknown and untested route. Is that too much to ask for these days? I know how expensive those kinds of players can be both cost wise and wages wise but hey if we are going to be breaking the bank for a 'big massive surprise signing' as has been hinted at I was hoping it would be in that kind of mould, you know?

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

so yes I should not be speaking about things I know little about

Doesn't stop most on here .....

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes, he has experience playing in the Norwegian and Russian divisons. I'm sure that means he's ready to step up straight against some of the best teams in the toughest divison in the entire world 😉

Don't worry. No-one will notice you slid past answering the main point, that we could not possibly have afforded, either the transfer fee or the wages, the type of EPL-proven player you said we should be getting in.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Got to be a good sign. 

Calvin Phillips, also 5 10, isn't bad either. It's how he plays that is key, not how tall he is!

38 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The Normans weren't the Vikings. The Vikings were famous for pillaging etc. 

There was a link, Rollo who was the ancestor of William the Conqueror. If you haven't watched Vikings the series it's well worth it. 

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Calvin Phillips, also 5 10, isn't bad either. It's how he plays that is key, not how tall he is!

Quite so - you want someone covering the ground, winning the ball/breaking up play by fair means or otherwise (eg their second goal yesterday needed a team foul)…height isn’t necessarily that important.

51 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Never been fond of defensive midfielders under 6ft but here's hoping he does well.. Just a shame we are going for the 'untested and unproven in the Prem' route for a position we badly need experience in

Really!?

Makelele - 5ft9, Kante - 5ft5, Keane - 5ft10, Gattuso - 5ft10

I'd take any of them as a defensive midfielder (in their prime)!

1 hour ago, birchfest said:

For those who don’t have Twitter it’s reporting we’ve come to an agreement with Rostov for Normann….

Would like to know what that agreement is; a loan, loan with compulsory purchase, loan with option to buy? Sounds like the latter.

I'm still at a loss where he fits in, he's not a typical anchor man/holding midfielder so that means continuing 4-3-3 but the middle 3 are going to have to decides who sits. If it's Gilmour, it's no different to what we are doing now.

1 minute ago, PRDH said:

Really!?

Makelele - 5ft9, Kante - 5ft5, Keane - 5ft10, Gattuso - 5ft10

I'd take any of them as a defensive midfielder (in their prime)!

Not to mention - Skipp, the man we're all desperate to replace, is 5ft9

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

There was a link, Rollo who was the ancestor of William the Conqueror. If you haven't watched Vikings the series it's well worth it. 

This Rollo?

7C96E0DD-4997-495B-A903-DD56CBB2CC11.jpeg

5 minutes ago, PRDH said:

Not to mention - Skipp, the man we're all desperate to replace, is 5ft9

According to wiki Tettey is 5ft11.  It seems a fair number of these guys aren’t as tall as some people think

10 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

The Normans were in fact Vikings, or at least directly descended from them. Normandy (land of the Norse men) was settled after the king of France gave land to the Viking raiders to stop them attacking France.

Having had a closer look at Normann via the usual vids on YouTube, it strikes me that one of his main attributes, at least in the role he’s been playing at Rostov, is switching play around quickly and releasing the wide players at the very first opportunity with long cross field balls etc. I can see him linking up very well with Rashica and Tzolis, and look forward to seeing the 11 that Farke really wants to put out. 

Still no rumours of a CB then folks?

I can’t believe Sander Berge is still at Sheffield, he’d be my go to, I’d try to sell Cantwell if necessary and get Berge here.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Men from the North, Viking settlers who were given Normandy to keep the peace. 

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

normann.png

Tweet from November last year. Fair play to him if he's stayed in that kind of shape though.

19 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

normann.png

Err Dave, can you take my photo mate, yeah. 

What do you mean? What if I just hold my pants up like this?

• Haha 1

A players height relative to his physical prowess is often misleading but as a general rule the bigger you are the stronger you are. Of course you can get physically strong players like Kante who are small and you can get bigger players like Lees-Melou who are nothing special physically but generally the reverse is true. You just play the percentages and that's why teams like West Ham and Watford are full of giants. Our problem imo is a lack of height in defence and a lack of physical strength in midfield, so while Normann isn't tall he is reputed to be strong so that's good enough for me for his position. 

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Would like to know what that agreement is; a loan, loan with compulsory purchase, loan with option to buy? Sounds like the latter.

I'm still at a loss where he fits in, he's not a typical anchor man/holding midfielder so that means continuing 4-3-3 but the middle 3 are going to have to decides who sits. If it's Gilmour, it's no different to what we are doing now.

I was under the impression Rostov only wanted a guaranteed sale