Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

6 minutes ago, chicken said:

Sarr is good, that they held onto him last season was incredible. Pretty much brought them up with his ability alone.

People keep saying we "lost" Skipp though. This irks as we didn't "lose" him. He was only ever on loan. A loan goes two ways, a player does really well, looks very good and shows he has the ability to be playing for his parent club - especially if they are a younger player like Skipp. Or they do ok or worse and the parent team doesn't feel they are good enough for them and is willing to sell them at the end of the loan.

Now for us, him doing brilliantly well is good. It means he was an important part of a side that saw us win the league. Objective complete. He wasn't the finished article when he arrived here, and he isn't yet the finished article playing for Spurs. The fact he is playing for them though, suggests that he was performing well above where we were and perhaps where we are. Getting another Skipp is going to be difficult. Yet, we still have time in the transfer window.

We can only really judge Webber and Farke at the end of the season and where we stand in the table. The club has done well on the financial front to be able to arm them with a considerable pot to go to town with. So in many ways there are even fewer excuses than last time out on that front. And so far, there is absolutely no doubt now that the new signings are all improvements on the vast majority of players they are replacing.

We are perhaps waiting for one of them to step up to the plate a little bit more to fill the role that Buendia left - note the role, not the hole. There are very few Buendia type players out there, finding a like for like replacement would be pretty tough. Much like trying to find a Huckerby replacement landed us Hoolahan, finding a Hoolahan successor found us Maddison, finding a replacement for Maddison landed us Buendia.

If I said we lost Skipp then that was worded wrongly. But we do still desperately need to replace him. As you said losing Skipp irks you it is probably the same for me when people talk about spending money without talking about the money raised from sales and comparing recruitment with out looking at out goings. 

2 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

If I said we lost Skipp then that was worded wrongly. But we do still desperately need to replace him. As you said losing Skipp irks you it is probably the same for me when people talk about spending money without talking about the money raised from sales and comparing recruitment with out looking at out goings. 

Equally though - looking at both of those without considering that it isn't in and out's in that manner. For example, it's been said by a few sources that we'd only get £15-20m from the Buendia sale to spend on transfers. We haven't sold many other players so we still have spent £30-35m so far... and it is still more than we have spent before.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I think we're somewhere near to spending more in one summer than the last three premier league campaigns prior to it. Those under Farke, Neil and Hughton.

If we don't finish off in a better position than last time out then I think that is the point we can look at proportioning blame to people.

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

Equally though - looking at both of those without considering that it isn't in and out's in that manner. For example, it's been said by a few sources that we'd only get £15-20m from the Buendia sale to spend on transfers. We haven't sold many other players so we still have spent £30-35m so far... and it is still more than we have spent before.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I think we're somewhere near to spending more in one summer than the last three premier league campaigns prior to it. Those under Farke, Neil and Hughton.

If we don't finish off in a better position than last time out then I think that is the point we can look at proportioning blame to people.

I must admit I have to go to sleep now and will look at any reply in the morning but I don't understand what you are saying. We have sold a player for 30+million and have spent 50 million roughly. That to me is a simple 20 million?  I trade in my car for 10 thousand and get a new car that was 15 thousand. I have spent 5. The fact that we would only get 15 to 20 million to spend from the Buendia transfer? Are you saying the club have said this is all of it we can spend and if so that's not the point at all. If you are saying that's all we get upfront with the other 10 to 15 million over the next few years then that is how we build our signings. Sorry if I'm being An idiot but I don't understand the 15 to 20 from the Buendia sale bit. 

So the countdown is on for a new Centre half and a defensive midfielder. We have worked all summer and need these new players to come in and to start.

We had a horrid preseason with covid and have looked tired in some games, that needs to be addressed and the game fitness is coming on. We need to now show some real guile as the game at arsenal is going to be a pressure cooker for them. Their fans will get on their backs and push them harder as they play a team they would expect to handsomely beat.

We do need these new players in and ready to play as we need a little more pace in the back line and we need some steely grit in the middle.

This post could have been written at the start of the window and of course the search for DM seems to be each season 

No excuses now, time for the work to bring in players

13 hours ago, Sean said:

"That is why a defensively minded central midfield signing to fill the large-shaped Olly Skipp hole has assumed ever growing importance.  

Expect that particular facet of City’s transfer strategy to be successfully concluded in the next few days."

Mr Davitt seems quite confident about this, maybe he has some info currently not for sharing 🤔

Davitt et al have been getting steers all through the transfer window. Some being general postives, such as areas of the squad being targeted, and some being specific negatives, knocking down rumours about particular players with the 'wide of the mark' line. I don't think they have been getting tip-offs about specific genuine individual targets before the rumours appear.

The proof over the last few seasons is we are in desperate need of a CDM, in Tettey & Skipps mould. We don't need yet another box to box midfielder as we're stacked with them

As good as the signings have been, I'm sure a lot will agree an improved CD and a CDM were/should have been top targets. we're still waiting and they're the crucial pieces we're still missing. It's squeaky pants time

9 hours ago, Canaries north said:

I must admit I have to go to sleep now and will look at any reply in the morning but I don't understand what you are saying. We have sold a player for 30+million and have spent 50 million roughly. That to me is a simple 20 million?  I trade in my car for 10 thousand and get a new car that was 15 thousand. I have spent 5. The fact that we would only get 15 to 20 million to spend from the Buendia transfer? Are you saying the club have said this is all of it we can spend and if so that's not the point at all. If you are saying that's all we get upfront with the other 10 to 15 million over the next few years then that is how we build our signings. Sorry if I'm being An idiot but I don't understand the 15 to 20 from the Buendia sale bit. 

Well, you're paying the salaries of four or five players instead of just Buendia's for a start. 

It's imperative we get a strong holding midfielder who can sit in front of the back 4, dictate play and more importantly allow Gilmour the license to play further forward. I want to see us push the boat out here to get some real experience and not some kid (unless that kid is Skipp, which it won't be).

I also think it's becoming clear we need another CB, again experienced is required here, as much as Hanley was a rock at Championship level I'm really fearing again that is his level and I'm not sure Zimmerman is the answer at this level if either Hanley or Gibson need resting, dropping or get injured. 

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

It's imperative we get a strong holding midfielder who can sit in front of the back 4, dictate play and more importantly allow Gilmour the license to play further forward. I want to see us push the boat out here to get some real experience and not some kid (unless that kid is Skipp, which it won't be).

I also think it's becoming clear we need another CB, again experienced is required here, as much as Hanley was a rock at Championship level I'm really fearing again that is his level and I'm not sure Zimmerman is the answer at this level if either Hanley or Gibson need resting, dropping or get injured. 

Surely you need two defensive midfielders, if not, you're just one injury / suspension away from the crap we're in now.

I think it could well be Billing (neither in the first team or on the bench yesterday in Bournemouth's match) or he is injured (though he wasn't listed as such yesterday). A bit underwhelming after the names talked about. Yet he has got a presence and would make a decent foil for Gilmour. Trouble being in this 'theory' is he really a DM as such? I reckon it's a discussion that is flawed in Farke's system anyway because most players tend to do extra defensive duties. Skipp also was wonderful at starting off moves and supporting them. He had an engine too but his main ability was in his superb reading of the game. It used to win him a yard or two. Perhaps Billing (if indeed it is) can be the same? 

Edited by sonyc

18 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Surely you need two defensive midfielders, if not, you're just one injury / suspension away from the crap we're in now.

Ideally yes, but can't see us bringing in two. I'm just hoping Farke starts to have more faith in Sorenson as I'd much rather see him in that role as opposed to Gilmour.

2 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

of a CDM, in Tettey & Skipps mould

Perhaps the same role, but very, very different players. Skipp didn't have the combative nature or physical presence of Tettey, but then it was only really in the Farke years that we saw Tettey start to improve on his range of passing, something Skipp was better at. 

Billing was pictured on Bournemouth’s official twitter as getting ready to travel down to their game at Hull yesterday which the club then consequently removed.

Official line was that he was ill yesterday and hence his omission from the squad. Interesting one.

Edited by Bovril

2 minutes ago, Bovril said:

Billing was pictured on Bournemouth’s official twitter as getting ready to travel down to their game at Hull yesterday which the club then consequently removed.

Official line was that he was ill yesterday and hence his omission from the squad. Interesting one.

And withdrew from the Denmark squad as well, having been recalled. A reserve keeper was also reported as sick, so it could be genuine.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

I think it could well be Billing (neither in the first team or on the bench yesterday in Bournemouth's match) or he is injured (though he wasn't listed as such yesterday). A bit underwhelming after the names talked about. Yet he has got a presence and would make a decent foil for Gilmour. Trouble being in this 'theory' is he really a DM as such? I reckon it's a discussion that is flawed in Farke's system anyway because most players tend to do extra defensive duties. Skipp also was wonderful at starting off moves and supporting them. He had an engine too but his main ability was in his superb reading of the game. It used to win him a yard or two. Perhaps Billing (if indeed it is) can be the same? 

That’s curious, but just seems unlikely after him featuring and the words coming out of their club and from Billing himself. Unless we went all in. Still think Normann is the guy they will try to through the kitchen sink at now in terms of effort.

3 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

Well, you're paying the salaries of four or five players instead of just Buendia's for a start. 

Ok so your paying more in wages. Correct. So are Watford as that was the original comparison.  The point from the start is people are comparing transfer business with other clubs and forgetting the outgoings. People are also saying we have spent 50 million? We have spent 20 million. 

1 minute ago, birchfest said:

For those who don’t have Twitter it’s reporting we’ve come to an agreement with Rostov for Normann….

Screenshot_20210829-121947_Chrome.jpg

16 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

Ok so your paying more in wages. Correct. So are Watford as that was the original comparison.  The point from the start is people are comparing transfer business with other clubs and forgetting the outgoings. People are also saying we have spent 50 million? We have spent 20 million. 

It's semantics really. It's technically correct to say we HAVE spent £50 million. It's also perfectly correct to say we have spent NET £20 million. 

It’s got the Paddy #Nocircus treatment, Here we go!

sounds like we’ve got out….. Nor MANN.

Is Normann a CDM? Says hes a box to box midfielder. Don't know a lot about this chap other than he didn't make the grade at Brighton. 

15 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Surprised at this, the clubs and player seemed so far apart on this plus he got ‘injured’ the other day, so yeah, surprised!

Not even a peep on a CB though! If one is coming then Webber etc are doing very well indeed to keep it quiet!

5 minutes ago, birchfest said:

It’s got the Paddy #Nocircus treatment, Here we go!

sounds like we’ve got out….. Nor MANN.

Screenshot_20210829-122357_Chrome.jpg

The last time the Norman's came to Norwich they built the castle and the cathedral - lets hope this one can leave just such a lasting impression.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well, he should be good in a cold one up at Newcastle as a Lofoten Islander. Granted, it's not as cold in the far north of Norway as you might think (as someone who's been to Tromso twice) due to the Gulf Stream, but he'll be used to blustery conditions.

2 minutes ago, crab man said:

Is Normann a CDM? Says hes a box to box midfielder. Don't know a lot about this chap other than he didn't make the grade at Brighton. 

It seems he’s more a hybrid of a box to box and a holding midfielder. Not just a pure sit in front of the back 4 CDM.

As for the Brighton link, well… it was under hughton, and let’s not forget Pukki was written off my Celtic. Let’s see what we can do with him.

• Thanks 1

looks like Normann's happening then....dont know much about him I'll confess, but thats a failing on my part.

Perhaps deludedly got my hopes up about William Carvalho (unless we're getting him too?!)  but good luck to our new signing. I'm not exaggerating by saying that a large part of our success or otherwise this season hinges on this

8 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

looks like Normann's happening then....dont know much about him I'll confess, but thats a failing on my part.

Perhaps deludedly got my hopes up about William Carvalho (unless we're getting him too?!)  but good luck to our new signing. I'm not exaggerating by saying that a large part of our success or otherwise this season hinges on this

Never been fond of defensive midfielders under 6ft but here's hoping he does well.. Just a shame we are going for the 'untested and unproven in the Prem' route for a position we badly need experience in