Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

1 minute ago, Discobolus said:

I am sure I read somewhere that Normann said he wasnt interested in joining Norwich

I believe from other stories that his issue was the same as ours, in that he didn't want a permanent move if we got relegated.

6 minutes ago, Discobolus said:

I am sure I read somewhere that Normann said he wasnt interested in joining Norwich

He is desperate to move and doesn't have many options right now. Think he is just worried about a drop to the Championship should Norwich be relegated, but I would imagine some reassurances from Webber that he wouldn't be refused a move should it happen.

Whether Norwich can resolve the issues with Rostov is probably the biggest issue. I guess they could offer a permanent move, but tie a lot of the fee on survival and performance related stuff. 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He is desperate to move and doesn't have many options right now. Think he is just worried about a drop to the Championship should Norwich be relegated, but I would imagine some reassurances from Webber that he wouldn't be refused a move should it happen.

Whether Norwich can resolve the issues with Rostov is probably the biggest issue. I guess they could offer a permanent move, but tie a lot of the fee on survival and performance related stuff. 

Sure there has to be a compromise somewhere, like you've said some assurances that we won't stop he leaving should we get relegated or a fee based clause so we don't get hit with a loss.

Obviously Normann would be very risky paying a club record fee as a relegated club - I guess the only mitigation would be that hopefully he either had suitors and we could get our money back or that the fee would justify itself over the long term

5 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

In which case, if we make our top end bid/wage proposal to said player and he says no because he’s had offers from clubs he feels are a better bet, it illustrates perfectly how buying a player is far more complicated than just the ideal that you rock up at an agents door, pay him the money, and then the player is yours. I would imagine this has happened a fair bit this window unfortunately, but it is what it is.

Then you move on. 

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Then you move on. 

Bingo!

And that’s exactly why you have to give it to the end of the window 👍

I'm not sure Normann is making the right noises for me. IF he's reluctant to come on the basis that he doesn't want to drop down a league and already looking for a get out clause, then I would steer clear. We need a lot more commitment than that if we are to break our transfer record on him.

The videos I've seen of him seem to highlight dribbling skills rather than tackling ability. Looks a very good player but not what we are after right now?

• Like 2

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

I'm not sure Normann is making the right noises for me. IF he's reluctant to come on the basis that he doesn't want to drop down a league and already looking for a get out clause, then I would steer clear. We need a lot more commitment than that if we are to break our transfer record on him.

The videos I've seen of him seem to highlight dribbling skills rather than tackling ability. Looks a very good player but not what we are after right now?

I hear you about the noises he’s apparently making, Captain. It’s not exactly encouraging, but surely if that was the case, we’d drop interest in him immediately? I’m guessing there must be a bit more to this one than what is being reported.

6 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I hear you about the noises he’s apparently making, Captain. It’s not exactly encouraging, but surely if that was the case, we’d drop interest in him immediately? I’m guessing there must be a bit more to this one than what is being reported.

I'm hoping it's more to do with Rostov than the player hence the IF.

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

When you are in Norwich's situation you have to accept that most of the players are only coming here due to Premier League football and to put themselves on that stage. As Norwich are one of the favourites for relegation it means they will always want to know what that means for them. The last thing a player wants is to come to a club that gets relegated and then makes it difficult for the player to leave if there is top flight interest in them.

I'm sure that Rashica, Sargent, Tzolis etc have all had that conversation with Norwich as Normann will want to - you can see why he would see a loan that ends if the club is relegated is better than being tied to a relegated club.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm hoping it's more to do with Rostov than the player hence the IF.

You do realise I was agreeing with you, don’t you? 

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

When you are in Norwich's situation you have to accept that most of the players are only coming here due to Premier League football and to put themselves on that stage.

Sargent even said as much in his opening interview with the club, admitting he knew nothing about Norwich apart from the fact they were in the Prem

Doesn't mean they won't fight etc - as if the team does well with them in the 11 it only enhances their reputation

I wouldn't expect them to know much or particularly care about our club before joining. I'd imagine Holt only joined as a step up from L2, Huckerby joined to get some regular football and Hoolahan to move up to the Championship etc not because they loved Norwich or cared about our history or fanbase. Players don't build an affinity to the club before they join obviously, just give it time. 

Just now, WSM said:

Sargent even said as much in his opening interview with the club, admitting he knew nothing about Norwich apart from the fact they were in the Prem

Doesn't mean they won't fight etc - as if the team does well with them in the 11 it only enhances their reputation

In a funny weird kind of way I’m hoping Tzolis doesn’t turn out to be so ridiculously good this season that we’re already having to fend off ‘big’ club interest next summer. At least with Emi, we had the pleasure of enjoying him for several years here, and hope we get that same chance with Christos. Early days I know, but he’s clearly got something about him, just as you could see with Maddison when he made his debut.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I wouldn't expect them to know much or particularly care about our club before joining. I'd imagine Holt only joined as a step up from L2, Huckerby joined to get some regular football and Hoolahan to move up to the Championship etc not because they loved Norwich or cared about our history or fanbase. Players don't build an affinity to the club before they join obviously, just give it time. 

I believe Holt knows someone he is close with that is a Norwich supporter. I'm sure he shared that in an interview once, and that had a bearing on him coming to us.

Huckerby knew about us. He's from Lincoln I believe.

You are right though. Many players wont know a lot about the club.

8 minutes ago, chicken said:

I believe Holt knows someone he is close with that is a Norwich supporter. I'm sure he shared that in an interview once, and that had a bearing on him coming to us.

Interesting, didn’t know that about Holty. Hucks is a Nottingham lad, though I think he started his career with Lincoln? (Not 100% sure on that though to be honest)

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Interesting, didn’t know that about Holty. Hucks is a Nottingham lad, though I think he started his career with Lincoln? (Not 100% sure on that though to be honest)

I vaguely remember he was a junior at Notts County, but may be wrong

1 minute ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

I vaguely remember he was a junior at Notts County, but may be wrong

Ahh that sounds about right, Chewy 👍

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Hucks is defo a notts lad, my step mum's dad was heavily involved in Clifton all whites which is the club Hucks played for as a kid. Think he did start his career at Lincoln though.

Just now, kick it off said:

Hucks is defo a notts lad, my step mum's dad was heavily involved in Clifton all whites which is the club Hucks played for as a kid. Think he did start his career at Lincoln though.

Cheers KIO 👍. Still love that Hucks played for a wealth of Premier League clubs, but it was with us that he found home : )

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chicken said:

Grant Holt's brother, Steven was a Norwich fan from Carlisle, before Grant signed. 

Edited by curious yellow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Ah ok, thats where my sleep deprived brain is getting confused. He certainly had heard of us / knew about us before. Maybe not hugely, but enough.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Priced at €25m?  Definitely doesn’t sound like us (nor Brentford if it comes to it).

Yep forgot to mention that minor eye opening detail, Branston ha ha

With Dennis Normann I am surprised with what has been allegedly said about relegation, and this is why Normann is a Norwegian player and they generally know a lot about the English football leagues and the Russian league does that really compare to the championship? And he has previously been at Brighton's under 23s.

Today we have the definitive word from the Daily Mail:

What they want: Goalkeeper, midfielder, striker.

Who they like: Christian Walton (Brighton), Matthias Normann (Rostov), Mbaye Niang (Rennes).

Come on, people. One out of three isn't bad. Seriously, the obvious problem  with Normann, if he is their clear first choice for midfield, is that they will carry on so long trying to land him that if the deal falls through, which looks distinctly possible, there will not be time to get in someone else.