Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

40 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Although I totally trust SW & DF with the recruitment, this signing doesn’t make sense, unless like someone has already mentioned, Max is being sold. We’ve got Mumba & Sorenson who can do a good job in the fullback positions, if called upon. 

Farke was pretty clear that he’d only consider Sorensen as a left back in an emergency. Once Xavi was fit again he became the 2nd choice left back and considering the club didn’t want to make his transfer permanent for a couple of million they probably didn’t rate him that highly. 

Williams makes perfect sense, Norwich need cover at both full back position and he offers great cover and competition for the short term. Mumba and McCallum offer the long term replacements/cover so it isn’t worth spending a large amount on bringing in a player on a permanent contract. 

Seems Man U and Williams are both content with him coming to be back-up. The club wouldn’t be silly enough to lie about his chances of playing. 

Also sounds as by waiting until later in the window Norwich have managed to significantly lower the loan fee Man U were originally asking for of £2m for the season. 

• Like 1

I suppose the other positive is that ultimately, if he comes in and displaces either Dimi or Max then he’s going to be playing really well, or alternatively if he can’t they are also hitting form. Really we are all worrying about something that only Farke needs to be concerned about. Let the best men win for the job, we can see cream rise to the top and benefit as a team.

Edited by birchfest

40 minutes ago, birchfest said:

I suppose the other positive is that ultimately, if he comes in and displaces either Dimi or Max then he’s going to be playing really well, or alternatively if he can’t they are also hitting form. Really we are all worrying about something that only Farke needs to be concerned about. Let the best men win for the job, we can see cream rise to the top and benefit as a team.

Absolutely - from Farke's point of view it's a win/win. Similar to when we signed Fahrmann, many expected him to be our undisputed no1 but Krul went from strength to strength and kept him out the side. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Join the race?..i question this, seems like just a rehash of our supposed interest from early in the window and even then  there seemed no actual concrete evidence that City were strongly in for the guy. I can understand Soton  being  very interested, the guy would likely walk straight into their first 11.

I really cant see City splashing out 10 mill on a CB  for Gibbo and Hanley when weve already Omo and Zimbo as cover, albeit the arguement on whether those two are adequate for Prem level.

But then who am i to know what City are after, im just a fan who guesses everything. A DM seems way more important  position to fill to me..hey why not sign Adarabioyo as CB cover and push Omo as a DM...he has the physique...there we go..my know nothing  fan type knowledge solves a problem.

2 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

But then who am i to know what City are after, im just a fan who guesses everything. A DM seems way more important  position to fill to me..hey why not sign Adarabioyo as CB cover and push Omo as a DM...he has the physique...there we go..my know nothing  fan type knowledge solves a problem.

So you’re suggesting we move a young centre back to be a defensive midfielder? I’m doubt you’ll ever find any approval for such a crazy idea on here. 🤔

• Haha 1

Omotoye has gone to Orient on a season loan, Fitzpatrick has had his contract terminated, I haven't seen any official announcements about this or Nizet. 

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

That does make sense except it assumes that Williams is prepared to come here to sit on the bench. He's surely not going to displace Dimi or Max. I would have thought first choice full back wasn't a problem position for us and as Tzolis and Rashica play wide it's hard to see how Williams fits unless someone is going or, as @birchfesthas said, we're going to play 3 at the back. 

Williams is around the same height as Max Aarons so I'm not sure he is anymore likely to be playing CB. The one thing I wondered is if they think one of our full backs could play DM? Or perhaps further forward. I think in reality, we'll need all of our cover in those positions as I say, they will get through a lot of running in either formation. Mumba is younger and less experienced so you'd think if Williams comes in he'd be first choice back up. 

40 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Join the race?..i question this, seems like just a rehash of our supposed interest from early in the window and even then  there seemed no actual concrete evidence that City were strongly in for the guy. I can understand Soton  being  very interested, the guy would likely walk straight into their first 11.

I really cant see City splashing out 10 mill on a CB  for Gibbo and Hanley when weve already Omo and Zimbo as cover, albeit the arguement on whether those two are adequate for Prem level.

Four CB's is not enough for a PL squad. As we learned last time, it only takes a knock and a card or a longer term injury and then you are asking a DM to be back up... right now, we don't have a DM... And all of our full backs are under 6'. You'd be left asking PLM to drop in there... or maybe Sargent. Or McLean... All worse options than Tettey.

2 hours ago, Lewisham Yellow said:

Although he has played in a back 3, he is only 5ft 7 so doesn't help us really in height terms - slightly easier for Man U to get away with that in the Europa League or whatever competition they were playing in at the time. I personally think that it's likely no prem team could guarantee he would start, so they are resigned to him going somewhere as occasional back up with Dalot and Telles already in those roles at Man U. If he joins he's probably second choice at LB and RB so has a decent chance of playing a fair few games.

Remember the 2004/05 season, when we sold Malky (6 foot 2) and replaced him at centre back with Simon Charlton (5 foot 8)? 

• Haha 2

This signing of Williams will hopefully act in the same way that Fahrmann’s signing did for Tim Krul. As he can play both sides it ensures that both Giannoulis and Aarons are kept on their toes knowing they can’t let their performances slip or there is competition from a Man Utd loan player sat on the bench. Very clever signing tbh

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jpootz said:

This signing of Williams will hopefully act in the same way that Fahrmann’s signing did for Tim Krul. As he can play both sides it ensures that both Giannoulis and Aarons are kept on their toes knowing they can’t let their performances slip or there is competition from a Man Utd loan player sat on the bench. Very clever signing tbh

Was going to mention this, folk labelled Fahrmann's loan as a failure but it wasn't as his presence pushed Krul to be better. Competition for places is crucial 

5 hours ago, Lewisham Yellow said:

He may be right footed but has generally played at LB including at youth level (also on the left of a back 3 for United, which could be handy) so think it would be an odd signing if it was a like for like Aarons' replacement. Maybe there just wasn't as much interest from Prem teams as Man U expected so they've resorted to sending him to us even though we can't guarantee playing time? Would explain why it had stalled for a few weeks.

I don't think Utd would send him here to sit on the bench, I think Aarons is going

I don't know to what extent we are paying Gilmour's wages but I heard that the loan fee is linked to the number of appearances. More games = lower fee or even zero!

Given this is Man Utd the same might apply to Williams. He's a feisty little player what I've seen of him and it would surprise me if he's backup.

35 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Remember the 2004/05 season, when we sold Malky (6 foot 2) and replaced him at centre back with Simon Charlton (5 foot 8)? 

Didn’t we also get relegated? - not that it was Charlton’s fault.  
I’m not sure if that was your point or not?!

1 hour ago, Mullet said:

I don't think Utd would send him here to sit on the bench, I think Aarons is going

There is no evidence to support that. The PinkUn piece even stresses at the end that their sources say that Aarons isn't going anywhere. It also details that Man Utd have two back up full backs in addition to Williams.

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

I know he was small for a CB but there’s no way he was 5 foot 8 😂!!!

• Like 1

Adarabioyo looking decent for Fulham against Millwall. Composed on the ball and comfortable stepping up and spraying the ball out wide and long accurate passes into the front 3. I feel this is the one we should be pursuing given it works within our apparent £10m per player ceiling price 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

It turns out he was.

VC's SPORTS PICKS (The Colonel) on Twitter: "@TonyBasilio Boss, da plane is  in the air to bring back the Barnes family #Vols http://t.co/RmgWlLd7Vb"

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Tommo said:

Adarabioyo looking decent for Fulham against Millwall. Composed on the ball and comfortable stepping up and spraying the ball out wide and long accurate passes into the front 3. I feel this is the one we should be pursuing given it works within our apparent £10m per player ceiling price 

Millwall not exactly giving him the toughest of tests, though...

The early starts by Fulham and West Brom suggest they will be up near the Top 2 and should they both come straight back (not a massive conclusion to jump to) it really does suggest the seismic gap between regular Champ teams and regular Premier League teams. 

Sheffield United looked well short last year and the year they stayed up looks more and more due to cohesion and team spirit rather than genuine quality which they ultimately lacked. If not careful, they could stay in the champ for a prolonged period. 

Ourselves, Fulham, and West Brom could well lead to a 3-sided Premier League Division 2 being formed. 

23 minutes ago, Herman said:

It turns out he was.

VC's SPORTS PICKS (The Colonel) on Twitter: "@TonyBasilio Boss, da plane is  in the air to bring back the Barnes family #Vols http://t.co/RmgWlLd7Vb"

Funnily enough I watched the man with the golden gun earlier. 😁

• Haha 1

Fulham fans really don’t want to lose Adarabioyo. He was pretty impressive last season, by all accounts, despite Fulham’s relegation.

Adarabioyo

Adarabioyo would be a great purchase but I can't see him wanting to come here in all honesty. From a neutral's perspective, there's a good chance both clubs could pass each other next summer (being realistic). Swapping London for the countryside is another negative for the majority of players (although most like Norwich more than then realise once here, just don't ask Ben Marshall..). The final major sway point would be wages, again likely to be in Fulham's favour there as well. For these reasons, it's a likely non-starter sadly.

Update on Williams:

Laurie Whitwell now running with the story on The Athletic, he has strong, reliable contacts with regards to Manchester United (their main correspondent) and states:

"Manchester United full-back Brandon Williams is set to join Norwich City on a season loan deal in the coming days....

The agreement is close, however, United are keen to get through their weekend trip to Southampton before officially sanctioning the move, with Alex Telles still working his way back to full fitness after injury.

Although they had initially been looking for a loan fee of £2 million for the 20-year-old’s departure, it is understood Norwich are paying significantly below that.

Williams was on the bench for United’s 5-1 win over Leeds on Saturday and will become Norwich’s seventh senior signing of the summer. He could make his debut in their EFL Cup second round visit from Championship side Bournemouth on Tuesday night."

Edited by Bovril
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Charlton was a LB who was moved to CB after injuries. He did very well in spite of his height.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bovril said:

Adarabioyo

Don’t think it was ever a starter. We obviously could never afford his wages, on a personal level he’s living a London lifestyle and has already had a crack of the whip in the Prem and didn’t exactly cover himself in glory. 

To pay over the odds for a like for like was never going to happen. I think it’s more what we want and are looking for than you’ve painted it. Works both ways. 

24 minutes ago, Bovril said:

Although they had initially been looking for a loan fee of £2 million for the 20-year-old’s departure, it is understood Norwich are paying significantly below that.

Chalk another to Stuart Webber, master negotiator. Would expect no less from the man who sold Marley Watkins for £1m.

Seriously, I think this is a very good move. With Byram injured, we are a Max Aarons or Dimi injury away from playing Bali Mumba. I like Bali a whole lot, but I think he is a season or two away from Premier League football. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Williams ends up displacing Dimi. Dimi was great against Liverpool, but I wonder if Williams offers a slightly more defensively capable full back, even if Dimi is the better offensively. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Chalk another to Stuart Webber, master negotiator. Would expect no less from the man who sold Marley Watkins for £1m.

Seriously, I think this is a very good move. With Byram injured, we are a Max Aarons or Dimi injury away from playing Bali Mumba. I like Bali a whole lot, but I think he is a season or two away from Premier League football. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Williams ends up displacing Dimi. Dimi was great against Liverpool, but I wonder if Williams offers a slightly more defensively capable full back, even if Dimi is the better offensively. 

So a player Norwich have spent millions on will be displaced by a loanee, interesting prophecy that. 

10 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So a player Norwich have spent millions on will be displaced by a loanee, interesting prophecy that. 

Do you really think Daniel Farke picks players based on whether we spent millions to bring them here or if they're on loan?

Actually wait, thinking back over some of your posts I wouldn't put that past you.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

It turns out he was.

Indeed he was but that boy had the leap of a salmon😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1