Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

2 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Scott Dann has left Palace after turning down a new contract. Would he be of interest?

15 appearances last season. Cahill had 45. I think if we go down the route of an older player like that Cahill would be the pick.

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Tzolis is raw as they come - I'm not sure Norwich think he'll make an immediate impact to be honest.

If Farke intends to go to a 4-3-3 base formation, then you have spots for two attacking midfielders and Tzolis, Cantwell, Dowell and Rashica all battling for those spots  (and maybe even Sargent). Wouldn't be surprised if Rashica and Cantwell are the main two starters, with Tzolis used more in rotation and from the bench initially. The step up from Greece is huge, Giannoulis struggled with the step up to the Championship initially and he is a far more experienced player.

Tzolis had an exceptional start last season, but tapered off a bit as the season ran on - I don't think he's ready to be a Premier League regular right now.

On Saturday, up against Tsimikas, he will feel right at home. But agreed. Let him come on and and score a couple later in the game.

2 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Scott Dann has left Palace after turning down a new contract. Would he be of interest?

What's his injury record like? I had in the back of my mind he was a bit prone. Otherwise I'd be happy to see him sign 

12 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Are we?

Young man, long way from home. Is he immediately going to displace Todd who has been our left forward/winger for some time?

I expect he'll begin on the bench and get chances to prove his worth. We shouldn't "obviously expect" any immediate impact.

It doesn’t quite tally with me that kn what is such a crucial season for us we’ve broken our record transfer fee on a player that isn’t ready to make the impact we need.

Im excited he’s here of course - my personal expectation was we’ve bought players for the here and now. 

28 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Thought it was a bit odd the Greek journalist saying Norwich fans need to be patient with Tzolis and he will be a big player for Norwich in 1-2 years. We’re obviously expecting he can make an immediate impact. 

A five year contract would suggest we see him as a developing prospect rather than the finished article too.

Edited by Nuff Said

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Tzolis is raw as they come - I'm not sure Norwich think he'll make an immediate impact to be honest.

If Farke intends to go to a 4-3-3 base formation, then you have spots for two attacking midfielders and Tzolis, Cantwell, Dowell and Rashica all battling for those spots  (and maybe even Sargent). Wouldn't be surprised if Rashica and Cantwell are the main two starters, with Tzolis used more in rotation and from the bench initially. The step up from Greece is huge, Giannoulis struggled with the step up to the Championship initially and he is a far more experienced player.

Tzolis had an exceptional start last season, but tapered off a bit as the season ran on - I don't think he's ready to be a Premier League regular right now.

Cantwell is certainly ahead of Tzolis, but Tzolis should be expected to push for a place there and use the minutes he gets more effectively than Placheta and Hernandez have. 

My guess is that after 5-6 games we may see Tzolis on the left and Rashica on the right with Cantwell in the middle vs 'lesser' teams in a 4-2-3-1.

Against the top sides it would make sense to have 3 across the middle and we would drop the CAM and play just a LW and RW in front of the 3 man midfield. Formation being 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-1-4-1 if you want to call it that.

The 4-1-4-1 is where Norwich really need to sign Skipp on loan or sign a permanent CDM. Against the 'lesser' sides having Gilmour and Lees Melou as a pairing may well suffice. Time will tell 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WD40 said:

Cantwell is certainly ahead of Tzolis, but Tzolis should be expected to push for a place there and use the minutes he gets more effectively than Placheta and Hernandez have. 

Yeah, that is exactly how I see it. He hasn't necessarily been brought in to be a starting XI regular (although if he performs well then no reason he can't be) but adds competition and depth in the positions that are most likely to be rotated.

He's obviously not some 'prospect' who'll be in the U23s, but I don't think he is first choice in any position yet. 

Norwich have probably moved for him now, knowing that in a year it is highly likely he'd be out of Norwich's reach, if he keeps developing as he has done, both financially and reputationally. 

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Agree with this and DF has said  already that Tzolis will need time to develop etc etc but no doubting hes one of Europe's most exciting  "prospects" for his age, given to that hes on a 5 year contract means he is viewed as a long term player for City. As Lakey alluded to, guys like Tzolis and Sargent are already a step up from when we signed Buendia, these guys have played regular seasons in Bundesliga and Greek Super league, have caps and scored for their respective international first teams, hence they've cost 2 or 3 times as much as Buendia, but are still very young and not the finished article.

Who knows if we have enough creativity and goals to keep us in the Prem this season, that relies as much on defence as much as offense, but i do see in these signings as a step up and leading to exciting times ahead, maybe not immediately but for sure in the longer term. Also, thou costing us a good bit of  transfer dosh, most of these lads once again have the potential for big sell on fees later down the line which of course is the lifeblood of our club.

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

A five year contract would suggest we see him as a developing prospect rather than the finished article too.

It protects us from him leaving for a ‘low’ fee if he does develop as we hope - if he has, say, 2 good seasons with us and the big boys come calling, we’ll still have him tied down to 3 more years and be able to command a very healthy transfer fee.

• Like 1

I think he could well make an impact this season, it may take him a few games to get going but he has all the right attributes to become a very good premier league player.

Remember a certain Ronaldo signing for manure 20 years ago as a raw 17 year old from Portugal and it wasn't long before he was a regular starter.

Tzolis is almost 20 and has had a lot of first team experience albeit at a lower level for a guy his age.

It also helps that he has his pal from Greece playing just behind him.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Chelsea fans have a decent song for Gilmour (To the tune of Dontcha which I believe is by the Pussycat Dolls).

You know I've never seen a player like Billy Gilmour

He's the Scottish Iniesta and he's five feet four

That would fit the tune of ‘Girl Like You‘ by Edwyn Collins 👍

For extra appropriateness, Edwyn is Scottish too.

Edited by Mr Angry
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

That would fit the tune of ‘Girl Like You‘ by Edwyn Collins 👍

For extra appropriateness, Edwyn is Scottish too.

Good point - I must admit it just popped into my head that Dontcha must be the tune the song goes to - but Girl Like You fits even better. 

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

It doesn't suggest that at all. A 5 year deal suggests we think he is good and we want to tie him down for a long time (increasing resale value in two years when he rips it up but still has three years left on his contract), it has no bearing on if we think he is ready or not now.

Edited by All the Germans

47 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It protects us from him leaving for a ‘low’ fee if he does develop as we hope - if he has, say, 2 good seasons with us and the big boys come calling, we’ll still have him tied down to 3 more years and be able to command a very healthy transfer fee.

If he's as good as he looks and continues on the same development curve, 2 years is as long as we'll have him for. So lets enjoy him! 

Just hope we stay in the EPL for the next two seasons so the profit margin is maximised. 

I don't think we have spent the best part of £10m on Tzolis to have him sitting around, same goes for Sargent and Rashica.

I think they'll be heavily involved and so they should be. Remains to be seen whether they all start but with Emi gone and Cantwell still a possibility, I think they'll be nearer first team action than some people realise.

• Like 3

Dann or Cahill are in veteran stage, Zimm playing like a 40 year old,  Get another CB in otherwise all these promising youngsters will need to survive in the dogfight of the Championship.  Another CB will give us a chance too much pressure on Andy O.  

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I don't think we have spent the best part of £10m on Tzolis to have him sitting around, same goes for Sargent and Rashica.

I think they'll be heavily involved and so they should be. Remains to be seen whether they all start but with Emi gone and Cantwell still a possibility, I think they'll be nearer first team action than some people realise.

I agree with you. Looking around at players such as Pedri at Barca and Bellingham at Dortmund, if you're good enough, you're old enough! 

Obviously younger players have the potential of more ups and downs, developing their physical and mental attributes etc. But I do think these players are very much in and around the 1st 11 conversation this season, in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yeah 100% this. 

Max was 18 when thrust into the side, Tzolis will be close to starting. He's played loads of football already, at club, European and international level.

My initial thoughts are he'd start with Rashica either side of Dowell or Cantwell, behind Pukki. With Sargent to see more bench time initially, but an active substitute for any of the front four positions. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Yeah 100% this. 

Max was 18 when thrust into the side, Tzolis will be close to starting. He's played loads of football already, at club, European and international level.

My initial thoughts are he'd start with Rashica either side of Dowell or Cantwell, behind Pukki. With Sargent to see more bench time initially, but an active substitute for any of the front four positions. 

I have a feeling they'll give him a few sub appearances to begin with. There seems to be a fair bit of hype around him but we can't expect him to do too much vs Liverpool, Man City, Leicester and Arsenal. If we wait until after those games (and the international break), he will have had a month to settle in and get used to the PL.

Remember, Webber (or Scott?) said that it was a blessing in disguise that Buendia was injured when he first arrived. It allowed him to go unnoticed for a while. Giannoulis too struggled to begin with - and that was in the Championship.

1 minute ago, Yellow and Green said:

I have a feeling they'll give him a few sub appearances to begin with. There seems to be a fair bit of hype around him but we can't expect him to do too much vs Liverpool, Man City, Leicester and Arsenal. If we wait until after those games (and the international break), he will have had a month to settle in and get used to the PL.

Remember, Webber (or Scott?) said that it was a blessing in disguise that Buendia was injured when he first arrived. It allowed him to go unnoticed for a while. Giannoulis too struggled to begin with - and that was in the Championship.

I get what your saying, but impossible for Tzolis to go unnoticed. Far more hype and reputation than Buendia's arrival. Fans will get restless waiting for him to play! Not that Farke succumbs to fan pressure, but still, it'll be hard for him to ignore - especially with such a talent. Will be interesting to see how Farke handles it... 

37 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Absolutely, he will be expected to make an immediate impact.

I see Southampton have now sold Jannik Vestergaard to Leicester for £15m. If Ward Prowse were to leave too that would be a pretty appalling transfer window so far. Thank God we're Norwich.

33 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I see Southampton have now sold Jannik Vestergaard to Leicester for £15m. If Ward Prowse were to leave too that would be a pretty appalling transfer window so far. Thank God we're Norwich.

Really feel (hope) this could be Southampton's year to depart the top division

Think Brentford like us first time round will have a good start then trail off quite quickly

Then there are other teams like Burnley (no signings), Watford haven't really strengthened, Palace have lost a lot of experience and lack a goalscorer

Fingers crossed

Also in other news Billing has told the BBC he wants to stay at Bournemouth

IMO, I've never really seen where he would fit - he now plays more offensively, and there are signs we aren't going to be having a CAM as much this year

Think we can find for £6-10m a really good proper bull-terrier CDM 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Southampton and Crystal Palace are two teams that I think will very much struggle this season. Don't think they will go down mind think they still have enough to stay up but will be interesting seeing how they both do

7 minutes ago, WSM said:

Also in other news Billing has told the BBC he wants to stay at Bournemouth

IMO, I've never really seen where he would fit - he now plays more offensively, and there are signs we aren't going to be having a CAM as much this year

Think we can find for £6-10m a really good proper bull-terrier CDM 

Poor man's PLM. I think we moved on from Billings and got PLM instead.

Thankfully so as the extra money paid for Tzolis.