Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Agree with most of that except they don't necessarily have to be a lump; Kante is one of the best in the world yet is diminutive.

I still think Lewis O'Brien could do a job for us, tenacious and decent with the ball.

McLean is too weak on the tackle and I honesty don't think Farke feels Sorensen is up to it either.

I don’t think Kenny is weak in the tackle and initially I suspect we may see him, Gilmour and PLM as a trio until we can find a holding midfielder. He actually was one of our better performers in the premier and improved a lot again last season.

He does, however, get bye passed a bit too easily when teams break on us at the top level. We need a genuine athlete and someone who reads the game snd anticipates in that role. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LaUnionCanary said:

I think the fact that Hanley was voted into second place in POTS indicates most people did not agree to that.

It’s a fair point. I always felt nearly all of the chatter on here was very much Skipp versus Buendia for POTS. Hanley was my third choice, and was immense, but I think we could’ve coped better without him better than we would’ve without Skipp or Buendia (ignoring the injuries to our defence). I imagine Hanley pipped Skipp due to his surprise improvement for the team and the fact he is a permanent NCFC  player. 

Either way, the thrust of my point still stands in my prior post in that we will do very well to have 2 of our new signings in our top 3 for POTS come the end of the season. Though if we can secure another couple of ‘first 11’ players it definitely gives us a better chance.

However I still think we won’t be replacing the individual brilliance of either player - particularly Emi - what we can realistically hope for instead is a more balanced and versatile squad overall. 

21 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

He’s supposedly flying in today so hopefully will be unveiled. Who is on Saxon watch?

Greece isn't on the green list though so he'll have to isolate surely?

13 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

A younger version of Tettey is the final piece in the jigsaw in my view. Get that right we can probably get away with the CBs we have although in an ideal world I’d prefer another first team level option there. 

For once I’m in complete agreement with you Jim!

I do wonder though whether Farke’s plan is to play a line of three more defensively minded midfielders instead of two. They’re not all going to be defending/blocking at any one time, but between them they will shield the back four more. Which obviously will blunt our attack to an extent, but is probably a necessary adjustment to what happened to us in our last PL season.

Edited by Nuff Said

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

I was basing on Tzolis, and our wages which will be significantly higher and just as much a commitment.

That's fair enough, but our wage expenditure has always been quite generous in the top flight, as I imagine Drmic, Fährmann and Amadou were all amongst our top earners last time round as were Klose and *shudders* Naismith the time before that.

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

I was basing on Tzolis, and our wages which will be significantly higher and just as much a commitment.

I'm pretty positive the wages on these signings won't be anything back breaking- our signings are from the Bundesliga 2, a midtable French team and Greece. I'd actually guess Gibson may be on the highest wages of any of new permanent signings. I'd also assume they all have relegation wage drops in their contracts so I don't think they'd be much to worry about longer term.

Whatever happens I think Webber has done a fine job walking the tightrope of strengthening the squad without putting us into a big hole financially. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AJ said:

Greece isn't on the green list though so he'll have to isolate surely?

Not if he’s double-jabbed….I think he has to provide negative tests (prior to and) post travel or something like that.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not if he’s double-jabbed….I think he has to provide negative tests (prior to and) post travel or something like that.  

It appears he may not be. I find it very strange that these professional footballers are not all double vaccinated given they have been jetting around Europe playing games already but then I don’t know the state of play with vaccinations in Greece. Word on the street is he will need to isolate and test after 5 days so not likely to be involved at the weekend. 

18 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It appears he may not be. I find it very strange that these professional footballers are not all double vaccinated given they have been jetting around Europe playing games already but then I don’t know the state of play with vaccinations in Greece. Word on the street is he will need to isolate and test after 5 days so not likely to be involved at the weekend. 

Greece has about 50% of the population double jabbed. So seems unlikely a 19 year old would have had both of his already. Especially as he’d have needed to have had it at least 14 days ago for him to be able to avoid isolation. 

The idea of prioritising young, fit footballers for vaccinations over anyone else has gone down like a lead ballon whenever it has been suggested. No surprise they aren’t given priority really. 

It also sounds increasingly likely that Maddison will be sold to Arsenal with Leicester lining up replacements and Maddison wanting to go to Arsenal. Should land us a little more cash too 💲💰

20 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Without descending this thread into a COVID war, I read that only 2 EPL clubs have all their players vaccinated. A lot of players refused the vaccination before the Euros too, for fear of it affecting their performance. Belgium being a case highlighted in the media. Given our recent covid outbreak, I suspect we are not one of the two clubs. 

There is also likely to be exemptions for footballers, based on factors such as medical and religious grounds. Seems odd that elite sportsmen and women are behind the vaccination curve...

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm pretty positive the wages on these signings won't be anything back breaking- our signings are from the Bundesliga 2, a midtable French team and Greece. I'd actually guess Gibson may be on the highest wages of any of new permanent signings. I'd also assume they all have relegation wage drops in their contracts so I don't think they'd be much to worry about longer term.

Whatever happens I think Webber has done a fine job walking the tightrope of strengthening the squad without putting us into a big hole financially. 

I mean, if we take all the signings that are here to be first-team players in the Premier League, their agents aren't going to be having them sign on nothing money.

Assuming they're on a minimum of £25,000 which is very conservative in my book, including Tzolis there's probably around £150 - 200k a week of wages compared to what just Emi was on (of course, we've also moved some players on). Taking that over 3 years as average contract lifespan is a commitment of around £20 - £25 million.

12 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Greece has about 50% of the population double jabbed. So seems unlikely a 19 year old would have had both of his already. Especially as he’d have needed to have had it at least 14 days ago for him to be able to avoid isolation. 

The idea of prioritising young, fit footballers for vaccinations over anyone else has gone down like a lead ballon whenever it has been suggested. No surprise they aren’t given priority really. 

Are you going to be plane spotting for us today? It would be very much appreciated if you could. 

20 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I know one of the vaccines they are using there only needs one jab.  (I have a friend living in Greece who had it)

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I mean, if we take all the signings that are here to be first-team players in the Premier League, their agents aren't going to be having them sign on nothing money.

Assuming they're on a minimum of £25,000 which is very conservative in my book, including Tzolis there's probably around £150 - 200k a week of wages compared to what just Emi was on (of course, we've also moved some players on). Taking that over 3 years as average contract lifespan is a commitment of around £20 - £25 million.

Tettey and Vrancic are off the wage bill too. I won’t say the released players, as they were probably paid off.

The vaccination thing is tricky - footballers are generally young, certainly most are below 30, and in this country will have only relatively recently had the opportunity to be double-dosed.  A friend of mine in her 30s was very keen and did it as early as she could and only had the second dose last week.  As it is quite rightly not something you can do privately, I’m surprised there are any clubs fully vaxxed.  

All that said, I’ve absolutely no idea what rules/regs there are in countries like Greece…

Edited by Branston Pickle

20 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Without descending this thread into a COVID war, I read that only 2 EPL clubs have all their players vaccinated. A lot of players refused the vaccination before the Euros too, for fear of it affecting their performance. Belgium being a case highlighted in the media. Given our recent covid outbreak, I suspect we are not one of the two clubs. 

There is also likely to be exemptions for footballers, based on factors such as medical and religious grounds. Seems odd that elite sportsmen and women are behind the vaccination curve...

As Southgate publicity called for people to have Covid jab, you’d have thought that would apply to footballers too!

34 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

It also sounds increasingly likely that Maddison will be sold to Arsenal with Leicester lining up replacements and Maddison wanting to go to Arsenal. Should land us a little more cash too 💲💰

If Maddison goes for £70m, we should get around £7m (if the 15% of the profit sell on clause is accurate) - a very tidy sum.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

If Maddison goes for £70m, we should get around £7m (if the 15% of the profit sell on clause is accurate) - a very tidy sum.

15% of 70 is actually 10.5?

47 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Not really sure why James would want to go to Arsenal over staying with Leicester. I would assume Money and the London lifestyle are attractive for him, but Leicester are such a lovely club

Just now, AJ said:

Not really sure why James would want to go to Arsenal over staying with Leicester. I would assume Money and the London lifestyle are attractive for him, but Leicester are such a lovely club

Fallen out with Rodgers.

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

It would be a percentage of the profit, not the full selling price

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mark .Y. said:

It would be a percentage of the profit, not the full selling price

Ah sorry, misread it!

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

We would receive 15% of the profit of the sale, not 15% of the entire sale amouny. 

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

15% of the profit, not the fee 

EDIT : Ignore I see you've been told already about 20 times 😂

Edited by Ken Hairy

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Agree with most of that except they don't necessarily have to be a lump; Kante is one of the best in the world yet is diminutive.

I still think Lewis O'Brien could do a job for us, tenacious and decent with the ball.

McLean is too weak on the tackle and I honesty don't think Farke feels Sorensen is up to it either.

Would be a good addition for the right money. Not necessarily a starter every week, but would add some quality in depth. I suspect we're interested, but doubt we'll go north of £5 million. Huddersfield will want nearer £10 million, which we won't pay for a championship player.