Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

14 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Struggling to see three teams weaker than us though! I think the Prem is getting stronger and stronger. Even the 'weaker' sides are awash with experienced internationals and funding. 

Ultimately, we just don't know how good PLM, Rashica, Tzolis and Sargent will be do we?

I see where you're coming from and don't disagree but for me we really do need a very solid CDM to sit and protect.

Our preferred formation and style of play will always leave us exposed. In the PL we are never going to be strong to soak up pressure so will have to be on the front foot.

You need yellow tinted glasses to think we are massively improved from last season and/or last time in the premiership. 
New signings look decent but before they add a thing we have to factor in the massive loss of both Skipp and Buendia. And we have also signed quick players on wings not the positions where our weakness is obvious - CB and CDM. 

unless four or five new faces arrive - which our some real grit and steel into our midfield than the chances are we will - again- be bullied off it in the middle of the park and see a fair few results like Newcastle all season 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Looking back to 2019-20, Roberts and Amadou were coming off poor seasons in Spain and Drmic arrived on a free transfer and Fahrmann on a loan. Byram was the only real success. Total outlay was less than £10m. Now, we've already committed nearly £40m on quality players and are still not done. We still have to wait to see what they can bring, especially after the loss of Buendia, but the situation is very different. The main difference is that these are the players we want rather than economical alternatives, though a new CB seems elusive.

The key for me is how effectively we do without Emi, and that will be mainly down to what Rashica, Sargent and Tzolis add to our attack and how we replace Emi's defensive contribution. My hope is that Sargent can fit that role when he isn't needed up front and that Lees-Melou will add steel and skill to our midfield.

7 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

You need yellow tinted glasses to think we are massively improved from last season and/or last time in the premiership. 

taking off your blue and white blinkers might be a better idea

4 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

New signings look decent but before they add a thing we have to factor in the massive loss of both Skipp and Buendia. And we have also signed quick players on wings not the positions where our weakness is obvious - CB and CDM. 

unless four or five new faces arrive - which our some real grit and steel into our midfield than the chances are we will - again- be bullied off it in the middle of the park and see a fair few results like Newcastle all season 

Absolute nonsense, far from the first time from you too. 

You just need to look at the midfields to see how much we’ve come along since the last Premier League campaign. Leitner, Trybull and Stiepermann up against Gilmour, Lees-Melou and Rupp is an absolute no contest. 

If we had Olly Skipp in our squad, this ridiculous point wouldn’t keep getting made. 

We have the best first eleven we’ve had in years with every reason to be optimistic. What we need now is to improve the depth of the squad, Those that agree with Dean Moaney here should take a good look at themselves, because there’s no basis for this view beyond being blindly negative. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

4 or 5 new faces? You've highlighted 2 perceived weaknesses, what other 2 or 3 roles would you be looking to fill?

We are definitely improved over last time in the prem and would probably say we are overall stronger than last season, despite being weaker in one position (which may be covered in large part by formation/tactical tweaking) and possibly a touch weaker in another. As a squad we are in better shape and better balanced, especially if/when Tzolis arrives.

much improved? I agree a bit more depth in the squad but Let’s look at the starting xi then and now 

Gk: krull v krull - the same 

LB:  Lewis v gianoulis - the same 

CB: Hanley v Hanley - the same 

CB: Godfrey v Gibson - about the same 

RB: Aarons v Aarons- the same 

CDM: Amadou/Tettey v Sorenson - worse 

CM: McLean v Gilmour - improvement 

LM: Todd v Todd - the same

CAM: Duda v Dowell - small improvement  

RM: Emi v Rashica - small decline 

CF: Pukki v Pukki - the same 

Completely agree with DCB's post above. It's not looking at it from a positive/negative view, purely logical. As it stands, the squad is on a par/slightly worse than what we went up with two years ago. 

Of course, we must wait until Sept 1st to fully judge but losing Buendia was a huge blow. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

much improved? I agree a bit more depth in the squad but Let’s look at the starting xi then and now 

LB:  Lewis v gianoulis - improvement

CB: 2019 Hanley v 2021 Hanley - improvement 

RB: 2019 Aarons v 2021 Aarons- improvement 

CDM: Amadou/Tettey v Sorenson - unsure but would say similar as strengths in different areas

LM: 2019 Todd v 2021Todd - improvement

Obviously experience, especially for the youngsters means nothing to you... Have updated your post accordingly...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bovril said:

Completely agree with DCB's post above. It's not looking at it from a positive/negative view, purely logical. As it stands, the squad is on a par/slightly worse than what we went up with two years ago. 

Of course, we must wait until Sept 1st to fully judge but losing Buendia was a huge blow. 

Nonsense.

The problem is people can't see beyond Emi Buendia. His sale has allowed us to level up the rest of the squad.

We go into this year with a good first eleven, rather than a half decent first eleven and Emi Buendia.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I see where you're coming from and don't disagree but for me we really do need a very solid CDM to sit and protect.

Our preferred formation and style of play will always leave us exposed. In the PL we are never going to be strong to soak up pressure so will have to be on the front foot.

Isn’t that what happens, they let us come on , their defences/MFs are too good, then they smash us with high speed and high skill.  Mostly.

8 minutes ago, Bovril said:

DCB's post doesn't analyse the squad.

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

DCB's post doesn't analyse the squad.

Be fair - I was the one who pointed out that the squad is a bit better overall but was also pointing out that we haven’t, in fact, improved the starting XI very much. And anyone who is impartial would agree / not least when skipp is factored in. 
Now given that we failed so woefully last time/ setting all sorts of horrid records- that should ring a few alarm bells. 

13 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I'd think it quite differently. But this is fun game so here for me. Even though it is silly to compare them all as they are very different players and roles are changed a lot..

Gk: Krul - same

Lb: Lewis vs Giannoulis - improved. Lewis did not make it even as 1st choice in the end.

Cb: Hanley vs Hanley - improved slightly. Hanley has been fit and become even more solid.

Cb: Godfrey vs Gibson - improved. Godfrey made so many mistakes in his positioning. Costing a lots of points. Gibson is more solid defensively

Rb: Aarons vs Aarons - improved. More experienced with another on his belt

Cdm: Tettey vs PLM - improved. More mobility and also provided a goal threat

Cm: McLean vs Gilmour - indifferent. Very different kind of players

LM: Todd vs Todd. Major improvement  has taken leaps in development

AM: Duda vs Dowell - improved. Even though I think Dowel is weakest link in our attack, Duda failed badly

RM: Emi vs Rashica - major decline. Even though hard to evaluate yet, but Emi was worldclass.

CF: Pukki vs Pukki - indifferent

11 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Isn’t that what happens, they let us come on , their defences/MFs are too good, then they smash us with high speed and high skill.  Mostly.

Yep and that's my point about needing a good CDM, without one we could be cannon fodder....

3 minutes ago, hepphep said:

RM: Emi vs Rashica - major decline. Even though hard to evaluate yet, but Emi was worldclass.

This sort of comparison is impossible to make. You aren't judging Rashica, you are marking him down because he isn't Emi.

3 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Yep and that's my point about needing a good CDM, without one we could be cannon fodder....

Yup , a good place to start

Gk = no change

Defence 1 = Lewis, Zimmerman, Hanley, Godfrey, Aarons, Byram

Defence 2 = Gianoulis, Zimmerman, Hanley, Gibson, Omobomidele, Aarons, Byram, Mumba

Defence= You would pick Defence 2 as you have more back up vsdefence 1 plus more experience 

Midfield 1 = Tettey, Amadou, Roberts, Vrancic, Stieperman, McLean Cantwell, Buendia, Trybull, Leitner, Hernandez

Midfield  2 = Sorenson, Gilmour, Lees Melou, Rupp, McLean, Cantwell, Hernandez, Placheta, Dowell, Tzolis??

Midfield = you would take Midfield 2 for the strength across many positions and more winger options

Strikers 1 =  Pukki, Drmic, Idah

Strikers 2 = Pukki, Idah, Sargeant 

Strikers= No change 

41 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Absolute nonsense, far from the first time from you too. 

You just need to look at the midfields to see how much we’ve come along since the last Premier League campaign. Leitner, Trybull and Stiepermann up against Gilmour, Lees-Melou and Rupp is an absolute no contest. 

If we had Olly Skipp in our squad, this ridiculous point wouldn’t keep getting made. 

We have the best first eleven we’ve had in years with every reason to be optimistic. What we need now is to improve the depth of the squad, Those that agree with Dean Moaney here should take a good look at themselves, because there’s no basis for this view beyond being blindly negative. 

The difference is not as wide as "absolute no contest" 

Gilmour and Lees-Melou are new players and unproven at this level. Rupp has been integrated for a while, but again not proven at EPL. 

Whilst Leitner, Trybull and Steipermann were also not proven at EPL level, they were firmly integrated into the team and were coming off the back of a very strong season. They all started the EPL season very well too, Leitner and Tyrbull ran the show at home to Newcastle. 

Whilst I agree with your sentiment that we have better players, it's not clear cut. 

1 hour ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

Looking back to 2019-20, Roberts and Amadou were coming off poor seasons in Spain and Drmic arrived on a free transfer and Fahrmann on a loan. Byram was the only real success. Total outlay was less than £10m. Now, we've already committed nearly £40m on quality players and are still not done. We still have to wait to see what they can bring, especially after the loss of Buendia, but the situation is very different. The main difference is that these are the players we want rather than economical alternatives, though a new CB seems elusive.

The key for me is how effectively we do without Emi, and that will be mainly down to what Rashica, Sargent and Tzolis add to our attack and how we replace Emi's defensive contribution. My hope is that Sargent can fit that role when he isn't needed up front and that Lees-Melou will add steel and skill to our midfield.

Can the same not be said of Rashica and Sargent? Both struggled in a relegated team.

The only signing we have made that makes me super impressed is signing Gilmour and he's a loan signing. Despite this, overall we have made the squad thicker.

Few people have mentioned/acknowledged just how craaazy good Gilmour is. This lad could comfortably have been playing in Central Midfield for the team that I believe will win the prem this year, Chelsea.. why have we got him on loan you may ask? Purely because the lad is young, Chelsea have strength and depth in that position and they would benefit from him playing 38 games next season as opposed to 10-15. 

4 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

The difference is not as wide as "absolute no contest" 

Gilmour and Lees-Melou are new players and unproven at this level. Rupp has been integrated for a while, but again not proven at EPL. 

Whilst Leitner, Trybull and Steipermann were also not proven at EPL level, they were firmly integrated into the team and were coming off the back of a very strong season. They all started the EPL season very well too, Leitner and Tyrbull ran the show at home to Newcastle. 

Whilst I agree with your sentiment that we have better players, it's not clear cut. 

Oh it absolutely is.

Gilmour was on the bench for a Champions League final and played in the Euros. He's played for Chelsea against the biggest sides in England in league and cup competitions.

Lees-Melou played in the Champions League qualifiers before going on to play regularly in the Europa League, scoring. He then played regularly for Nice,

Rupp has also experience of European football.

How many European matches has Leitner, Trybull and Stiepermann played? One appearance in the Europa League is it, for Leitner? Wasn't he on the bench for a final or something too? Can't find anything.

Clear as day in my view.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

We go into this year with a good first eleven, rather than a half decent first eleven and Emi Buendia.

Sometimes saying less is more - you’ve nailed the whole debate right there as far as I’m concerned, TY 👍

And the windows not even finished yet.

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Oh it absolutely is.

Gilmour was on the bench for a Champions League final and played in the Euros. He's played for Chelsea against the biggest sides in England in league and cup competitions.

Lees-Melou played in the Champions League qualifiers before going on to play regularly in the Europa League, scoring. He then played regularly for Nice,

Rupp has also experience of European football.

How many European matches has Leitner, Trybull and Stiepermann played? One appearance in the Europa League is it, for Leitner? Wasn't he on the bench for a final or something too? Can't find anything.

Clear as day in my view.

I believe Leitner was too, for Borussia Dortmund. 

Lees-Melou has the credentials for sure, but this is still a big step up for him. 

I wouldn't put Rupp streets ahead of Leitner, Trybull or Steipermann. Different players,  but fairly similar bracket of ability IMO.

53 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Respectfully, this feels overly pessimistic to me. But I won't argue with you! Soon we'll find out for better or worse where we stand!

8 minutes ago, Yella Army said:

Gk = no change

Defence 1 = Lewis, Zimmerman, Hanley, Godfrey, Aarons, Byram

Defence 2 = Gianoulis, Zimmerman, Hanley, Gibson, Omobomidele, Aarons, Byram, Mumba

Defence= You would pick Defence 2 as you have more back up vsdefence 1 plus more experience 

Midfield 1 = Tettey, Amadou, Roberts, Vrancic, Stieperman, McLean Cantwell, Buendia, Trybull, Leitner, Hernandez

Midfield  2 = Sorenson, Gilmour, Lees Melou, Rupp, McLean, Cantwell, Hernandez, Placheta, Dowell, Tzolis??

Midfield = you would take Midfield 2 for the strength across many positions and more winger options

Strikers= No change 

I was about to do something similar. it is hard because some players (intentionally) can fill more than one position, and hard also to compare the same player against how they were and how they are. Zimmermann, for example, is not as good as he was (which is why he probably won't feature much) while Cantwell is plainly better. Krul perhaps getting on the cusp of decline.

That said, we are stronger in goal - Krul, Gunn and McGovern now better than Krul and McGovern.

Potentially stronger upfront, when it was in effect only Pukki and Drmic. Idah made only one start. Pukki now perhaps not quite where he was before, but Pukki, Sargent and a better Idah better than just Pukki and a Drmic who started only 5 games.

I agree about defence, and about wingers. in effect before it was Hernandez. Now him, Placheta and Rashica.

Buendia is of course a big loss but in compensation you have a better Cantwell, Tzolis and Dowell.

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Looking like Josh Sargent might be about to be confirmed.... 

Ha ha stealing the official sites Instagram unveiling, but maybe it’s all planned. Got a good feeling about this signing, Rashica looks a great player and in Tzolis (if we get him) one of the most exciting prospects in Europe, that’ll be some coup if we can pull that off! Just need to get the final pieces of the jigsaw in now and we will most certainly have a stronger side than the one of 19/20.

30 minutes ago, Yella Army said:

Strikers= No change 

Waaahhhh?!

Pukki with all the experience gained in the Premier League, at the Euros and in the Championship?

Drmic no change to Sargent?! You have to be absolutely kidding.

For me, Hugill > Drmic, let alone Sargent.