Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

If Villa are going to rip the heart out of our team for the 2nd time this window, they're going to pay through the nose for the privilege. No less than £40m, in cash, up front.

If Villa sign Cantwell as well as Buendia so close to the start of the season, I would hope that the support would show its anger to the board. A self funded model is fine (you have to sell one.. ok) but selling two of your key players (whilst losing another as the loan deal finishes) after promotion is rubbish. Any other club fans would be up in arms at the that..... It would signal that we are set up to be a big Crewe, developing great talent for others to appreciate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

@Bethnal Yellow and Green  when does tapping up become illegal?  I'd have thought the pressure would be on the player (albeit via the agent) rather than the club?

No clubs really complain about tapping up these days as they all do it. Many players also have it written into their contract that they can speak to other clubs, as long as they notify their parent club.

The last team to make a fuss about tapping up was Southampton when Liverpool were being a bit too aggressive with VVD. Klopp was spotted taking him out for dinner which was deemed a bit much.

Agents work for their clients, they very rarely do anything without getting the permission of the player first. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VillaFan said:

100% agree, we definitely do not have the pulling power for that

I think Buendia's relationship with Cantwell is probably the biggest influencing factor to Villa going for him. It makes sense to try and link them up

There is something wrong with the way money is paid out in the PL and how two clubs that are in the same league operate of completely different levels. It needs to be fixed as it is not nice to lose your players to another club because of money. Man City buying Grealish and Kane in the same window is a bit of a joke. How are clubs meant to compete with that

Oh the irony.... I loathe Villa 

5 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Are you jealous of your neighbours  shiny car that cost more than yours too Foggyo?  Chances are they've borrowed  the money from somewhere. 

14 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

No clubs really complain about tapping up these days as they all do it. Many players also have it written into their contract that they can speak to other clubs, as long as they notify their parent club.

The last team to make a fuss about tapping up was Southampton when Liverpool were being a bit too aggressive with VVD. Klopp was spotted taking him out for dinner which was deemed a bit much.

Agents work for their clients, they very rarely do anything without getting the permission of the player first. 

Bethnal, where did you get that knowledge of player contracts allowing them to talk to other clubs from? I have seen hundreds of UK player contracts in my time as a restructuring solicitor and have never once come across such a clause, albeit I haven't dealt with player contacts for around three years. I wonder if you are referring more to implied clauses regarding the restraint of trade? 

21 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

If Villa sign Cantwell as well as Buendia so close to the start of the season, I would hope that the support would show its anger to the board. A self funded model is fine (you have to sell one.. ok) but selling two of your key players (whilst losing another as the loan deal finishes) after promotion is rubbish. Any other club fans would be up in arms at the that..... It would signal that we are set up to be a big Crewe, developing great talent for others to appreciate.

In a way, I agree and it is pretty much unprecedented for a promoted club to do what we're doing. The closest I can think of is Southampton selling Mane, VVD etc.

The only thing I can say to counteract it is, assuming Todd were to be sold for 33 million like Emi was, we would have 66 million (plus our original budget) to spend on the squad, which is equally unprecedented for ncfc. We haven't spent anywhere near that in our history. 

We just have to have faith that Webber knows what he is doing. 

19 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Are you jealous of your neighbours  shiny car that cost more than yours too Foggyo?  Chances are they've borrowed  the money from somewhere. 

Nah, theyve wh*red themselves out and gotten a sugardaddy. 

2 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

In a way, I agree and it is pretty much unprecedented for a promoted club to do what we're doing. The closest I can think of is Southampton selling Mane, VVD etc.

The only thing I can say to counteract it is, assuming Todd were to be sold for 33 million like Emi was, we would have 66 million (plus our original budget) to spend on the squad, which is equally unprecedented for ncfc. We haven't spent anywhere near that in our history. 

That'll be the test won't it? Right now we're probably up about £10m on transfer fees. It would be pretty unprecedented for a newly promoted team to make a net profit on transfer fees in their first season. 

So if Cantwell goes I'd be pretty ****ed off if we then kept hearing 'Norwich want player x but team y want £12m and Norwich won't go over £10m.' At some point you just have to bite the bullet if you've got the money. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Where is the irony? I think it is wrong what happens in football today whether that be by Man City or Aston Villa. But hey, when fans are so fickle and hate and loathe so easily I suppose it is only to be expected. 

6 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Our position of being promoted, relegated (while keeping all of our stars due to a once in several generations pandemic ) and promoted again is unprecedented. 

We got an extra year out of Emi, Todd and Max. Without Covid, they'd have left last summer, we know that Em and Todd wanted to. 

The club has done it's best. But Villa is an exciting prospect for the like of Todd and Emi, it's a step up.

15 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

I have seen hundreds of UK player contracts in my time as a restructuring solicitor and have never once come across such a clause

Hi,

I have often wondered about the tapping up in a players contract. As you clearly know what you are talking about on this subject could you tell him if the tapping up is a clause in the contract i.e. player A is not permitted to talk to Club X without permission from player A's club or is it a rule from the FA?

Thanks

1 minute ago, Wardogz said:

Our position of being promoted, relegated (while keeping all of our stars due to a once in several generations pandemic ) and promoted again is unprecedented. 

We got an extra year out of Emi, Todd and Max. Without Covid, they'd have left last summer, we know that Em and Todd wanted to. 

The club has done it's best. But Villa is an exciting prospect for the like of Todd and Emi, it's a step up.

We didn't keep all our stars- we sold two of them.

Hi Villafan.

I think that selling our two standout attackers to one team is hard to stomach whomever that team is. Villa are now a very cash rich club and are spending very large amounts on good players who both have experience of relegation from the Premier League. I think that they are both able to step up this time as Emi did to some extent last time around. 

If we have a contingency plan that works ,thanks for the many tens of millions for two of our players.

Edited by The Bristol Nest

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Clearly I meant when we got relegated.

Just now, Wardogz said:

Clearly I meant when we got relegated.

I know. When we sold Godfrey and Lewis, both of whom were considered our young stars. 

26 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

Bethnal, where did you get that knowledge of player contracts allowing them to talk to other clubs from? I have seen hundreds of UK player contracts in my time as a restructuring solicitor and have never once come across such a clause, albeit I haven't dealt with player contacts for around three years. I wonder if you are referring more to implied clauses regarding the restraint of trade? 

I was told by an agent that they always insert this clause and it sounded like it was standard practice - it might just be that one agent who does it, or a more recent trend. It could be the agent just meant he always get an agreement with his client's clubs that he can speak to other clubs if there is interest. So much of football is done on people's word and 'gentlemen's agreements'.

Just now, king canary said:

I know. When we sold Godfrey and Lewis, both of whom were considered our young stars. 

Both replaceable players, which were part of a dreadful defence, to which we can cleary see has been much stronger without them. Nobody was worried about them leaving. 

Keeping Buendia, Cantwell, Aarons and Pukki was key to promotion, they were the stars.

Well this really is a massive downer before a ball has even been kicked. i was really looking forward to Cantwell doing well this season. Losing bundia was bad enough but this is a real stab in the back .

With the future of Cantwell I feel so much depends on what he has told Norwich about his intentions with his contract.

If he has said that he is definitely not signing a new deal, or asking for a deal well beyond Norwich's means, then the club have to consider if £40m (or whatever the amount offered is) now is better for the club than Cantwell for a season and maybe half the size of bid next summer (or even less should the club be relegated). 

If Norwich get relegated with Cantwell in the team and Norwich then have to sell for £12m or something, people will be saying Webber was foolish to not take the £40m when it was on the table and that money could have been used to strengthen the team. If Norwich stay up with Cantwell a key component then people may feel it was worth turning down £40m for the £20m Norwich receive in the summer of 2022. It is impossible to know what the right thing to do now is.

Aston Villa with a pot full of cash from selling Grealish could represent the biggest ever bid that anyone will ever make or receive for Todd. 

The 'optics' of selling Buendia and Cantwell in one window is terrible obviously, but Webber always prides himself on not worrying about that sort of thing and trying to make the most pragmatic decision. The easy decision is to say 'nope, not for sale' - which could horrendously backfire with a frustrated Todd being dropped like last season and depriving yourself of £40m. It could also be a masterstroke as Todd knuckles down to prove you wrong and to get his big move the following summer.

Who'd want to be a Sporting Director?

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
  • Like 6

Villa are bound to have other potential targets in case we play hardball over Cantwell. It may well be that they're already working on two or three contingencies, in which case all we need to do is dig our heels in and hold out for huge money (ie. north of £40m). If they pay that, fair enough.

Reminds me a bit of a story where two friends are walking through the woods, and a giant grizzly bear jumps out in front of them. They look at each other, and one says to the other "well I guess this is the end, then". The other guy bends down and starts tying his shoelaces up. "What are you doing?", the first guy says. "You're never going to outrun him."

The second guy looks back at his mate, and says: "I don't have to outrun him. I only have to outrun you."

Let's hope we've got the cojones to be the second guy...

This will start a massive domino effect of transfers in the premier league now which is better to happen now than at the end of the window. Could see us making good progress on our other targets. 

23 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Hi Villafan.

I think that selling our two standout attackers to one team is hard to stomach whomever that team is. Villa are now a very cash rich club and are spending very large amounts on good players who both have experience of relegation from the Premier League. I think that they are both able to step up this time as Emi did to some extent last time around. 

If we have a contingency plan that works ,thanks for the many tens of millions for two of our players.

Do you think PAOK fans feel the same?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillaFan said:

Hi,

I have often wondered about the tapping up in a players contract. As you clearly know what you are talking about on this subject could you tell him if the tapping up is a clause in the contract i.e. player A is not permitted to talk to Club X without permission from player A's club or is it a rule from the FA?

Thanks

Its both a Fifa and FA rule and player contracts as standard make reference to complying with these rules. 

Having just looked it up its regulation 18.3 of Fifa's Regulations on the Status and Taransfer of Players, and Section T of the Premier League rules. 

Essentially a transfer fee either has to be agreed before a club can directly approach a player or his agent, or the player's club has to first give its permission (noting there is disparity between fifas rule which states a club must simply inform the other club while the FA rule states permission must be granted). However, in practice clubs do not comply with this regulation since all clubs operate the same way but there is an expectation of acting with some form of integrity in doing so. You don't often see a club who is willing to take formal action as it will come back to bite them when they want to sign a player. There have however been instances when clubs have overstepped the mark, if you recall Liverpool tapping up VVD from Southampton some years ago, Southampton threatened to report them and Liverpool apologised and withdrew their interest, signing him a year later. Ashley Cole is probably the best example, Chelsea received a fine and a suspended 3 point deduction. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I was told by an agent that they always insert this clause and it sounded like it was standard practice - it might just be that one agent who does it, or a more recent trend. It could be the agent just meant he always get an agreement with his client's clubs that he can speak to other clubs if there is interest. So much of football is done on people's word and 'gentlemen's agreements'.

It could well have changed in recent years, you'll see my reply below to the Villa fan that the rules are a mess in this area to be honest and all clubs seem to have an understanding that tapping up is acceptable provided it doesn't go too far. I suspect as you say, so much is done in gentlemens agreements as well. 

39 minutes ago, VillaFan said:

Where is the irony? I think it is wrong what happens in football today whether that be by Man City or Aston Villa. But hey, when fans are so fickle and hate and loathe so easily I suppose it is only to be expected. 

I shouldn't worry mate, I think he hates a lot of Norwich fans too 😁

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I think that selling our two standout attackers to one team is hard to stomach whomever that team is.

100% agree, I don't like that aspect of football these days. And although clubs can refuse to sell players that rarely works out as the player just tries to force a move through e.g. Kane and Pereira at WBA. Also, it is very dangerous for a club to try and hold out for too much money. If the buying club pull out of the deal then the selling club are left with one very unhappy player that can often never be the same player for the club again. I am not suggesting that is what Todd would do, I don't know the lad but it does happen. The clubs with less money seem to be disproportionality penalised. FFP is meant to try and stop this but it only enhances the benefit to the richer clubs. 

36 minutes ago, king canary said:

And bought two replacement who are probably better + Dowell.