Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

29 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The bid for Tzolis is reported to be €7 + €2m and PAOK are apparently looking for something north of €10m initially - so there is a quite a distance between the two at the moment. 

There feels like quite a large opportunity cost with going for Tzolis - he would be a bit of a punt as he's very raw and judging based on the Greek Super League is very tricky - spending that money on him means not being able to spend it on signings that are needed elsewhere.

I can see why he'd be a good long term signing, but next season is maybe one of the most important in the clubs recent history. Having a player who'll be great in a year or two isn't going to help if Norwich have been relegated and had to sell him in a year.

If we did go for him I do also wonder what this says about how the management view Placheta- signing another raw, pacey winger who is a few years younger than him may suggest they don't see him progressing with us.

27 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I take that point. On the face of it this looks like a bit of a luxury buy, if it happens. One problem for fans is that I have yet to see an authoritative assessment of how much money we have left to spend, assuming we sell no-one else.

And our priorities have changed a bit. It appears, for example, as if we may be prepared to wait until the season has started and use the remaining EPL loan slot on the central defender that not long ago seemed a top priority.

Are we still very keen on Billing, who would almost certainly cost a club record basic fee? Do Farke and Webber think Tzolis and Rashica and Idah can adequately deputise for Pukki or do they think we need an out and out striker (a Guardian columnist today advocates us buying Roland Sallai from Freiburg...)?

It is possible we have more money to spend than is generally assumed.

There is some detail on the Freezer/Southwell podcast that hasn't got into the basic pink un story. Apparently one of our scouts is Greek, and recommended Giannoulis, and so presumably Tzolis, and we have been monitoring the latter for at least a year now.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

If we did go for him I do also wonder what this says about how the management view Placheta- signing another raw, pacey winger who is a few years younger than him may suggest they don't see him progressing with us.

A good point.

Though could it be viewed the other way, that in fact the management team are all in when it comes to playing pacey counter attacking football this year and see strength in depth and options as the only way to do that consistently?

Really depends if we are talking euros or pounds here..if the initial offer was 7 mill euros plus 2 mill euros add ons that is a good bit shy of 10 mill pounds..if City could up it by a couple mill euros...9 +2..it may just twmpt PAOK and be around the 10 mill pound mark.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

A good point.

Though could it be viewed the other way, that in fact the management team are all in when it comes to playing pacey counter attacking football this year and see strength in depth and options as the only way to do that consistently?

I agree with the latter, especially as Tzolis wouldn't require a squad place because of his age. He must be a bit special given that he has 8 caps for Greece at the age of 19. Even €10m would only be £8.5m, which is about what we paid out for Rashica before add ons.

Interesting to see if this goes the way of Ajer or not. Are we willing to up the bid or do we walk away?

I sense that we really want this one and will increase our starting offer but this is based on nothing more than a hunch 🤣

43 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The bid for Tzolis is reported to be €7 + €2m and PAOK are apparently looking for something north of €10m initially - so there is a quite a distance between the two at the moment. 

There feels like quite a large opportunity cost with going for Tzolis - he would be a bit of a punt as he's very raw and judging based on the Greek Super League is very tricky - spending that money on him means not being able to spend it on signings that are needed elsewhere.

I can see why he'd be a good long term signing, but next season is maybe one of the most important in the clubs recent history. Having a player who'll be great in a year or two isn't going to help if Norwich have been relegated and had to sell him in a year.

Surely when you are in the position we are in financially, you have to compromise on something?

There just isn't this pool of players who fit the mould Norwich seem to target who are Premier League ready. So that leaves the question - what do you compromise on?

Do you compromise on attitude and run the risk of upsetting the general nature of the squad?
Do you get in players who perhaps once were Premier League standard but now aren't up to it anymore? That risks long contracts for declining players who based on reputation can demand a high salary.

Or do you buy players who perhaps aren't quite up to it but seem capable of being so one day? That risks the player never quite fulfilling his potential. 

Accepting we cannot at present afford established Premier League player transfer fees and salaries, I do think signing talented, but raw players is the way we have to go. We have to hope these players can quickly find their feet in this league and adjust. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1902 said:

A good point.

Not to mention Placheta's been playing full-back / left-wing back in pre-season, and indeed has played wing-back for Poland. Can definitely see him being pushed into a starting position that is a bit further back.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I take that point. On the face of it this looks like a bit of a luxury buy, if it happens. One problem for fans is that I have yet to see an authoritative assessment of how much money we have left to spend, assuming we sell no-one else.

And our priorities have changed a bit. It appears, for example, as if we may be prepared to wait until the season has started and use the remaining EPL loan slot on the central defender that not long ago seemed a top priority.

Are we still very keen on Billing, who would almost certainly cost a club record basic fee? Do Farke and Webber think Tzolis and Rashica and Idah can adequately deputise for Pukki or do they think we need an out and out striker (a Guardian columnist today advocates us buying Roland Sallai from Freiburg...)?

It is possible we have more money to spend than is generally assumed.

I could be very wrong but I'm not sure Webber isn't just incredibly opportunistic. Sure we would ideally like a CB, but probably only if one is available who is good enough for the money.

Otherwise maybe we are prepared to accept that this will remain a weak link until we find someone, (it could be argued that we don't have a choice if there are no options). 

He seems to buy at strange times in positions that perhaps aren't expected as long as it fits the playing philosophy.

Edited by 1902
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

There is some detail on the Freezer/Southwell podcast that hasn't got into the basic pink un story. Apparently one of our scouts is Greek, and recommended Giannoulis, and so presumably Tzolis, and we have been monitoring the latter for at least a year now.

Think that might be a bit 2+2 from them linking Norwich interest in Giannoulis and Tzolis due to Mariela being Greek. Both of those players are pretty well known and drawn interest across Europe before.

This article is a good update from the Greek end on the Tzolis deal https://sportdog.gr/sports/podosfairo/article/661216/piezei-o-tzolhs-erxetai-nea-protash-me-tosa-kleinei-h-metagrafh-soyper-deal-panw-apo-ton-giannoylh

Albeit Google has translated it appallingly, it says that Tzolis is keen, we offered 7.5 million euros in two installments and 2.5 mill in goal and appearance bonuses, but that we will offer 10 million euros in three installments plus one million in bonuses

They say it is 70% likely to be accepted

OTBC

7 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

You seem to have misread. I said he was invaluable off the pitch. Farke named him as the unsung hero of the group last season.

'Liability' would be a word that I would use to describe someone whose mistakes cost us on a consistent basis. I don't think he cost us a game at all.

You clearly don't understand so I'm not going to bother.

Every club has suffered due to covid. As an example, we have lost 35 million. 

There's an article on the Athletic about the impacts that  covid is having on the transfer market.

Please subscribe. You might learn something.

Re the recent claim here that it is only French clubs that are financially depressed:

The pandemic led to a rare decline in the financial firepower of European football during 2019-20, according to a report that charts how Covid-19 has affected the hierarchy of the continental game.

The combined revenue of European clubs declined by £3.4bn to £22bn, according to the Deloitte Annual Review of Finance, with even the “Big Five” leagues – in England, Spain, German, France and Italy – feeling the pinch.

It was the first decline in European football revenue since the global financial crisis in 2008-09, although wage costs remained flat, putting pressure on club finances.

While no league escaped the pandemic’s effect on match-day and broadcast revenues, the report reveals how some leagues coped relatively well and others could face lasting ill effects.

Advertisement

The Bundesliga in Germany proved the most resilient, helping it to overtake Spain’s La Liga as the continent’s second-most lucrative league behind the runaway leader, the Premier League.

I realise you don't sign players in order of priority but it seems a strange one to me when imo CB and DM are areas where a) we need cover and b) we are weaker than last season. 

Potentially we have Tzolis, Rashica, Cantwell, Hernandez and Placheta as wide players pushing for 2 places. Seems overkill. Unless one or more are leaving...

1 hour ago, WSM said:

This article is a good update from the Greek end on the Tzolis deal https://sportdog.gr/sports/podosfairo/article/661216/piezei-o-tzolhs-erxetai-nea-protash-me-tosa-kleinei-h-metagrafh-soyper-deal-panw-apo-ton-giannoylh

Albeit Google has translated it appallingly, it says that Tzolis is keen, we offered 7.5 million euros in two installments and 2.5 mill in goal and appearance bonuses, but that we will offer 10 million euros in three installments plus one million in bonuses

OTBC

This part of the translation has made me wonder what kind of negotiation tactics Webber and chums are going for here.
image.thumb.png.754aaff1610cc9719642307ac510df82.png

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I realise you don't sign players in order of priority but it seems a strange one to me when imo CB and DM are areas where a) we need cover and b) we are weaker than last season. 

Potentially we have Tzolis, Rashica, Cantwell, Hernandez and Placheta as wide players pushing for 2 places. Seems overkill. Unless one or more are leaving...

Hernandez and Placheta though are squad players at best, and looks like we are going to try and convert Placheta to a full back. 

15 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

This part of the translation has made me wonder what kind of negotiation tactics Webber and chums are going for here.
image.thumb.png.754aaff1610cc9719642307ac510df82.png

I have noticed that Farke and Webber have both got very smooth hands 😉

Just now, BobLoz3 said:

I have noticed that Farke and Webber have both got very smooth hands 😉

It puts the lotion on its hands or it gets the hose again? 😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jsim1986 said:

Hernandez and Placheta though are squad players at best, and looks like we are going to try and convert Placheta to a full back. 

I wouldn't have Placheta anywhere near a flat back 4 and we don't have enough CBs to play with 3 or a top quality DM as anchorman.

Placheta, I agree, might be cover for Giannoulis  as part of a 5. If we were seriously going 5 at the back I don't know why we haven't bought in an extra CB or DM. Gilmour isn't that and Lee Melou is more box to box. We need someone to hoover up ala Skipp.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

If Grealish goes to City and Villa come knocking for Todd I really hope Webber squeezes them for silly money.

Or better still Cantwell stays. 

• Like 2

If we get this Greek lad then maybe we can use our extra prem loan slot to cover the space in the middle of the park. Tommy Doyle from Man City seems to be attracting half the teams at the top of the championship so surely its not a big stretch to think he could be an option for us there?

2 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

If Grealish goes to City and Villa come knocking for Todd I really hope Webber squeezes them for silly money.

Big if, but I’d imagine it’d be slightly more than Emi’s fee was.
I’m sure they’ll have options lined up if that did happen though. Let’s see what happens. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a flurry of activity late in the window 

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

It puts the lotion on its hands or it gets the hose again? 😉

We all know Farke likes horses too. This is all adding up 🤣

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not to mention Placheta's been playing full-back / left-wing back in pre-season, and indeed has played wing-back for Poland. Can definitely see him being pushed into a starting position that is a bit further back.

Ahead of Giannoulis? Can't see that.

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

Just to add some positive perspective on how thankful we should be to have the opportunity to be looking at the likes of Tzolis………just look how pleased Cook is with this bunch!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/40681/cook-were-signing-players-that-might-have-appeared-out-of-reach

joking aside they've actually done some decent business for league 1

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Just to add some positive perspective on how thankful we should be to have the opportunity to be looking at the likes of Tzolis………just look how pleased Cook is with this bunch!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/40681/cook-were-signing-players-that-might-have-appeared-out-of-reach

Hilarious! Apparently, they managed to snatch a couple of those signings from under the noses of Peterborough and Coventry. Just imagine having that much draw, we can only dream. 

21 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

joking aside they've actually done some decent business for league 1

It’s ok I wouldn’t go as far as decent, given the players who have gone. But Oxford have to be favourites this year, they’ve got some very good youngsters coming through, done some good business too.

51 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Ahead of Giannoulis? Can't see that.

Nope, not ahead of Giannoulis, but I can definitely see that being a position he occupies coming off the bench.

4 hours ago, WSM said:

OTBC

If that’s the case get on with it.

on a different front, really not keen on that article on the main page which makes it sound like we will just let Villa have Cantwell if they sell Grealish.