Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

4 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Perhaps, instead, it sends the 'signal' that if you come here and do well you'll be able to move on when the time's right to a club offering far bigger wages and the chance to play in front of far bigger attendances.

That’s won me over, even after promotion this is the way to think. 

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

*Sighs* 

It's tough being a fan of this club sometimes. If this is true, I'll be pissed off. 

'believe in the project, four year plan, we are just a small club we can't say no we need the money..'

As I have said on here before losing Buendia to me was a huge loss. Cantwell is a good player but I might upset some on here by saying this. £20 million + and I would sell. Good player but not great and not signing a new contract. In my mind if Cantwell is £20 million then Buendia should have been £60 million. 

40 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Todd Cantwell. He bleeds Green and Yellow. He loves everything Norwch, he's one of our own, the Dereham lad a true Canary through and through for life.. Has today joined Aston Villa on a six year contract and says he can't wait to play at such a huge, massive club that's far bigger than little old Norwich. He says ever since he played in the Norwich academy and made his way through the club, every time he had to wear green he secretly dreamt of playing in Claret and blue, and has always fancied a visit to the world famous slums of Birmingham'

🤢

He was also the last to sign the new contracts when we went up last time . 
He (and his agent) also know what sort of deals the Murphys , Lewis and Godfrey have signed - life changing and securing their futures. The next contract Cantwell signs will have all of that in mind . 

19 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Perhaps, instead, it sends the 'signal' that if you come here and do well you'll be able to move on when the time's right to a club offering far bigger wages and the chance to play in front of far bigger attendances.

Wow, what a fantastic aspiration to have for our club. How about we aspire to be the club that these players want to play for in the premier league. Villa should still be regarded as a direct rival to us. Aside from Grealish they are nothing special at all. 

By all accounts Cantwell's agents are a major pain to deal with + he quite clearly had thoughts about leaving last year. If we get a bid in the neighborhood of £20 million I think we have to sell and move on. He's not irreplaceable. We can still get a new players in and avoid relegation!

Just now, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

By all accounts Cantwell's agents are a major pain to deal with + he quite clearly had thoughts about leaving last year. If we get a bid in the neighborhood of £20 million I think we have to sell and move on. He's not irreplaceable. We can still get a new players in and avoid relegation!

We don't just "have to sell and move on." I don;lt get why so many of our fans seem to think we have no choice but to sell these players. We absolutely do have a choice, perhaps not as much of a choice as other top flight colubs due to our selfish owners, but a choice none the less. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Wow, what a fantastic aspiration to have for our club. How about we aspire to be the club that these players want to play for in the premier league. Villa should still be regarded as a direct rival to us. Aside from Grealish they are nothing special at all. 

…and how do we achieve that without the far bigger wages and larger attendances?? How do we make players want to stay that want to earn more money than we can afford to pay them, and play in front of a crowd that’s bigger than Carrow rd?

Cantwell is ambitious, nothing wrong with that. He’s also confident in his ability and wants to maximise his potential by moving to a bigger club, nothing wrong with that and arguably stupid not to do it when an opportunity arises.

The fact it’s Villa is what will sting. But like it or not; they are a bigger club with a hell of a lot more money than us. FFP is another debate, and one I hope bites them in the **** at some point but right now, up and coming players from NCFC will see clubs like Villa as the next step up (with a ridiculous wage to sort them out for life)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing on Villa forums that I can see yet, but Smith Rowe looks unlikely now so maybe they're are turning their attentions to Cantwell.

11 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

We need a billionaire owner to be 'that' club.

Cantwell was one of few that can hold their heads high after that last shambolic attempt at the Premier League, without him our squad is weaker. 20 mill feels south of where I'd price him. 

I've been supportive of Webber and co, almost blindly at times, I also understand what our model requires, but to make such wholesale changes this close to the start of the season is concerning. Concerning in that second season under Hughton where he couldn't make all the ins gel into a cohesive unit. Farke has just under a month to do so. 

There's bigger things in the world to worry about than football but this is an escape for me, and it isn't providing much comfort right now if this rumour gathers steam tbh. 

Perhaps Todd was told the same thing as Emi when they were left out of the side- help us get promoted and you can go. 

He's been with the club a long time, perhaps he thinks now is the right time to move. It worried me when Emi left, Todd wrote on his Instagram "see you soon" Could be nothing though. 

He has proved he's got the right attitude for the big games and is still improving. 

I thought his vision v King's Lynn was excellent. 

35 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Well I guess if your ambition for our club is to turn into the new Crewe- forever developing young players for other clubs- rejoice and be happy! 

I would rather see us make a decent effort to stay in this division. 

On 20/07/2021 at 14:29, Canary Wundaboy said:

Everyone has deeper pockets than us.

Unfortunately I fear this transfer window despite the supposed COVID-depression, we've simply been priced out of our domestic targets. Even decent Championship players (Armstrong, Billing, Ajer etc) are now simply beyond what we're willing or able to pay. If another player is on another EPL club's radar (and given the reliance on data, statistics etc rather than just individual scouts) we're now at a major disadvantage, even after selling one of the best players ever to wear the Norwich shirt for a club record fee.

Unfortunately upon completion of this transfer window and the resulting season we could be witnessing the reality that a self-financing club just cannot compete at the Premier League level. We may be responsible, we may be flaying the flag as an example of responsible club ownership, but if no-one else in the league is playing the same game we are then competing at this level is an impossibility.

In my heart of hearts I agree - I love the notion of being a self funding club but, if today's rumours about Cantwell leaving this season are true, then I'm struggling to understand what's to enjoy about. I guess a sense of pride in bouncing up and down between leagues and an academy that produces great talent. For the club, as a business it's great, but for fans perhaps not so much. 

But then equally, do we surrender to the fact we, in the grand footballing pyramid, are actually a reasonably small club... 

My only worry is that Todd and Emi were the flair players. The X Factor. I just don't want to see us end up with a team composed of "can't fault them for their effort".

Why wouldn't Todd want to go to Villa? Over the years on this site many have said Villa are not a big club. And that was never true. They are and have spent large in the last two seasons and are at it again.

But logic says we cannot keep doing this and flirting with the Prem. Who are the next ones on the conveyor belt?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

In my heart of hearts I agree - I love the notion of being a self funding club but, if today's rumours about Cantwell leaving this season are true, then I'm struggling to understand what's to enjoy about. I guess a sense of pride in bouncing up and down between leagues and an academy that produces great talent. For the club, as a business it's great, but for fans perhaps not so much. 

But then equally, do we surrender to the fact we, in the grand footballing pyramid, are actually a reasonably small club... 

I guess we can accept we are small or ask how we grow and push onto the next level. Sadly that isnt happening with this ownership 

24 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Well I guess if your ambition for our club is to turn into the new Crewe- forever developing young players for other clubs- rejoice and be happy! 

We are part of the same food chain as every other club ... we're just managing it shrewdly to our long term advantage.

I would also say ...

1. When in our history haven't we sold on our best players.

2. The longer we stay in the Prem the better signings we'll attract so if you want to 'stay in the division' get used to seeing your brightest and best gobbled up ... it's a sign of the health and status of the club. Most Prem sides sell on their better players when a richer rival comes knocking.

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

My only worry is that Todd and Emi were the flair players. The X Factor. I just don't want to see us end up with a team composed of "can't fault them for their effort".

Why wouldn't Todd want to go to Villa? Over the years on this site many have said Villa are not a big club. And that was never true. They are and have spent large in the last two seasons and are at it again.

But logic says we cannot keep doing this and flirting with the Prem. Who are the next ones on the conveyor belt?

It depends (if we sell) what we do with the money. Certainly some of the Buendia money (hard to be exact) is helping us this window. Suppose, for the sake of argument, selling Cantwell enabled us now to buy a genuine starting striker as the longer-term replacement for Pukki, and Billing (since Webber and Farke seem very keen on him). Would we be then stronger, and with a better balanced squad, than if we kept Cantwell? I would have thought so.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Seen Sam Seaman of My Football Writer and now Michael Bailey effectively dismiss these rumours but without closing the door on it. 

Michael Bailey more dismissive of it than Sam Seaman 

18 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It depends (if we sell) what we do with the money. Certainly some of the Buendia money (hard to be exact) is helping us this window. Suppose, for the sake of argument, selling Cantwell enabled us now to buy a genuine starting striker as the longer-term replacement for Pukki, and Billing (since Webber and Farke seem very keen on him). Would we be then stronger, and with a better balanced squad, than if we kept Cantwell? I would have thought so.

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Of course it might also be that he is in negotiations for a new contract and the agents are stirring things to whack up the wages…

Or might just be that we can’t meet his demands and need to cash in! Deeper pockets as some put it! Self funded isn’t all it’s cracked up to be when in the top flight! Must be frustrating as hell for Webber and Farke! We shall see!

8 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Seen Sam Seaman of My Football Writer and now Michael Bailey effectively dismiss these rumours but without closing the door on it. 

They can’t close the door entirely - the simple fact is that all players have a price and someone may meet it at some point…and this is as true for Man U as it is for us, if on a different scale.  

The reality is that our model is built around ‘fairness’ to players, which helps us attract those we can get in the knowledge we won’t hold them back.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a rumour from that football insider site actually come through, so I’ll always hold my thoughts until they are on more reputable place.

Used to be “ Prudence with ambition “ now it’s “ Prudence with no ambition “ 

Everyone losing their 5h1t on this forum over a stupid rumour... please get a grip - we can discuss the positives and negatives if it is borne out by the truth

Until then, calm down - it's footballinsider24 not the likes of Paddy, John Percy etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

You’re usually positive! 

Hopefully we start looking at players of Pereiras standard 

I am positive! I don't personally believe there's anything in the rumours considering the source. But it's hard to accept the idea of starting the prem season without both Emi and Todd.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I can accept selling Emi to Villa. well, angrily and reluctantly accept it.

But selling Cantwell to them too? Might as well just hand them Aarons and Pukki while we are at it. What a joke, what mushrooms you been smoking Webber?

It's a dodgy rumour you blithering idiot. Why make such OTT comments about something that hasn't happened?

52 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Again, we've not sold Todd. We've not sold Todd to even have the chance to see how we can replace him. You've not even bothered to wait and see what we do with the Emi money before making your same ill-informed comments which you quite quickly stop making as soon as we win a couple of matches.