Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

31 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Hanley and Gibson is a good pairing at the top level imo and if both are fit and on form, I would expect them to be the starters this season, whoever we get in......mind you, Omobamidele completely looks  the part too and it wouldn't surprise me if he has a big part to play this season.

I agree with you on Gibson, he's great bringing the ball out of defence, is tactically aware and I feel a lot rides on keeping him fit and well.

Hanley I don't think is a long term solution, he's a great Champ CB but I don't think he has that edge to make in the Prem. Albeit last time he was injured for long periods but he's 2 years older now. I'd happily eat my hat on that one but I would have concerns if we were overly reliant on him week in / out. 

I genuinely don't think anyone can say what level Omobamidele is at, there's lots of noise surrounding his development but he has no Prem experience whatsoever and we all know how much of a step up it is to the Champ. Godfrey, who was perhaps more developed in his game than Omo in 19/20, hardly set the world alight. 

As for Zimmermann, he just hasnt seemed the same player he was since that tackle in that West Ham game, hasn't featured anywhere near enough over the past season and for me, should really be relied on if extremely unlucky with injuries (which I pray doesn't happen again).

Like a few others on here, I'd be worried if we didn't splash some cash on one more quality CB, as when I look at the four above on paper it does leave me clenching my butt a little. 

28 minutes ago, Number9 said:

That sounds worryingly like getting excuses ready in advance. 

Expecting a club to have completed all their deals by July 19th in a slow market with limited budget sounds worrying like people living in a fantasy land.

There isn’t one club in the Prem who will feel they don’t have areas to improve. Luckily for Norwich there isn’t a gaping hole in the starting XI that needs to be sorted before the first game of the season. 

A new CB is needed, but it isn’t worth overpaying for a player not considered good enough just so they can be signed now, rather than having the patience to wait a few weeks. 

• Like 5

I think this window and it’s pace is certainly playing with a lot of peoples heads. It’s been the Webber approach to get deals done early, but it seems this time around it could be the last two weeks of the window where the dam breaks and we see the big clubs throwing their money around and that tricking into other deals.

It’s a symptom of a window post empty stadiums, new brexit regulations and the Euros slap bang in the middle of it. I think we are probably towards the top for numbers of incomings at the moment with 4 (not counting the youth recruits).

I think Aarons, hypothetically, is the perfect example of a big club finally coming in and then that causing the domino effect of green lighting 2 or 3 moves that were on the threshold of what we could afford then being possible.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Expecting a club to have completed all their deals by July 19th in a slow market with limited budget sounds worrying like people living in a fantasy land.

There isn’t one club in the Prem who will feel they don’t have areas to improve. Luckily for Norwich there isn’t a gaping hole in the starting XI that needs to be sorted before the first game of the season. 

A new CB is needed, but it isn’t worth overpaying for a player not considered good enough just so they can be signed now, rather than having the patience to wait a few weeks. 

I salute you on putting it far more politely than I would have.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This is a point i have tried in vain to make, very good.

Being worried now is hilarious.

1 hour ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I know it's sacrilege to say it but I don't think any of our current CBs are comfortably more Premier than Champs. 

I do give Gibbo the benefit of the doubt and pray that Farke has polished up Grant but, as I felt this time 2 years ago, I would like every penny we have thrown at 2 new CBs.

Gibson had a full season in the Prem with Boro and impressed enough to get an England call up. He is comfortably Premier League quality in my view. 

Hanley is a question mark - if he can repeat his 20/21 season then should be fine. But whether that is his new level or a one of season is an unknown. 

One more should be sufficient. How much money will be needed to get one who is a clear upgrade on Hanley is the issue though. Could easily spend £10m and then not be much of an improvement - it’s a lot of money to spend on a bench player. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Gibson had a full season in the Prem with Boro and impressed enough to get an England call up. He is comfortably Premier League quality in my view. 

Hanley is a question mark - if he can repeat his 20/21 season then should be fine. But whether that is his new level or a one of season is an unknown. 

One more should be sufficient. How much money will be needed to get one who is a clear upgrade on Hanley is the issue though. Could easily spend £10m and then not be much of an improvement - it’s a lot of money to spend on a bench player. 

Don't come around here suggesting that you'd have to spend £10m to potentially improve upon Grant Hanley, have you forgotten that he's slow and hasn't got enough of an 'edge'?

Edited by FatCanary

15 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

Don't come around here suggesting that you'd have to spend £10m to potentially improve upon Grant Hanley, have you forgotten that he's slow and hasn't got enough of an 'edge'?

as quick as Mbappe (hanley) according to the stats from the Euros mate. 

The situation with Billing seems potentially significant. Based on Davitt etc, we have offered £10m and Bournemouth want £15m. i agree with Bethnal that Webber doesn't generally do auctions, but he and Farke seem really very keen on the player.

Now £10m, if we are talking about the basic fee, as I think we are, would by itself be a record for the club. If we are so keen that we agree to move a million or two towards Bournemouth's figure then that is a massive chunk of cash out of what is left (without another sale), especially when Farke's latest list of gaps yet to be filled takes in so many positions.

Forget Billing and suddenly filling those positions isn't anything like such a financial stretch, and in particular if another striker is close to the top of the list of priorities, as it now seems to be, then that increases the pool of potential acquisitions.

• Like 1

Just to also point out that as far as I can see, officially Brentford have signed no one but two 18 year olds and two 19 year olds for their U23's.

Ajer is yet to be officially confirmed. And if they do, great. One player. We are already ahead of them in that area. Pontus Jansson, their captain, isn't as good as Gibson or Hanley IMHO. And he's arguably their best. The others they have are either similar in age to ours and not as good or 22 and inexperienced...

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The situation with Billing seems potentially significant. Based on Davitt etc, we have offered £10m and Bournemouth want £15m. i agree with Bethnal that Webber doesn't generally do auctions, but he and Farke seem really very keen on the player.

Now £10m, if we are talking about the basic fee, as I think we are, would by itself be a record for the club. If we are so keen that we agree to move a million or two towards Bournemouth's figure then that is a massive chunk of cash out of what is left (without another sale), especially when Farke's latest list of gaps yet to be filled takes in so many positions.

Forget Billing and suddenly filling those positions isn't anything like such a financial stretch, and in particular if another striker is close to the top of the list of priorities, as it now seems to be, then that increases the pool of potential acquisitions.

It also starts to make sense when you look at players being able to play more than one position which seems to have been their message at times. Rashica can play AM/Wing/Str. Lees-Melou can play anywhere in MF - CM/AM/DM/Wing. We know Giannoulis, Aarons and Mumba can play wing/FB/WB.

I see Brentford are linked with Barry Bannan for circa £1m. Always competent on the ball and would add to midfield numbers. A bargain IMO and one we should be looking at to increase numbers for little cost. (ready to be torn apart).

9 minutes ago, chicken said:

Just to also point out that as far as I can see, officially Brentford have signed no one but two 18 year olds and two 19 year olds for their U23's.

Ajer is yet to be officially confirmed. And if they do, great. One player. We are already ahead of them in that area. Pontus Jansson, their captain, isn't as good as Gibson or Hanley IMHO. And he's arguably their best. The others they have are either similar in age to ours and not as good or 22 and inexperienced...

They managed to keep hold of their best player though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I see Brentford are linked with Barry Bannan for circa £1m. Always competent on the ball and would add to midfield numbers. A bargain IMO and one we should be looking at to increase numbers for little cost. (ready to be torn apart).

He's

5 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

He's often been one of the best players on the pitch whenever we've played against him. But.... 

8 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Would rather go back and get Harrison Reid for the CDM role

Big difference in cost. Harrison Reid would be a lot of cash. Bannan wouldnt be. I am suggesting a squad player.

1 hour ago, urdie_Canary said:

as quick as Mbappe (hanley) according to the stats from the Euros mate. 

.....I know.

35 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Barry Bannan🤦‍♂️

Fair to say he has experience, but none of that is Prem experience

Nevermind that when I have seen him play he plays like an OAP with one leg

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I really hope we pull the Billing signing off, and I think we probably will although it may take a little longer than we'd all like. He'd be a great addition and would certainly go straight into the starting XI in my mind.

I'm also really hoping that there's truth in the Joe Worrall rumours, who would be my pick of the CB's we've been linked with, more so than Ajer. Worrall is a top player, a good age and would be eager to impress at a higher level. Forest fans can't praise him enough, which certainly isn't the case with Ajer and Celtic fans. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

I really hope we pull the Billing signing off, and I think we probably will although it may take a little longer than we'd all like. He'd be a great addition and would certainly go straight into the starting XI in my mind.

I'm also really hoping that there's truth in the Joe Worrall rumours, who would be my pick of the CB's we've been linked with, more so than Ajer. Worrall is a top player, a good age and would be eager to impress at a higher level. Forest fans can't praise him enough, which certainly isn't the case with Ajer and Celtic fans. 

How about a cash plus hugill deal with Forest who are apparently keen on JH. Then we won't have to blow too much money and get a bit extra to spend on another CF

4 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Billing? Not sur at all.

Worrall ..... 100% (ticks all our usual boxes, imo.)

Hugill px? Not beyond the realms of possibility. If Hughton likes attackers at all then JH might be up his street?

8 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Yes, I feel the same. Apparently Brentford had an offer accepted but then they pulled out.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/nottingham-forest-hit-with-surprise-premier-league-club-u-turn-involving-joe-worrall/

25 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Have we been credibly linked with Worrall?

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Have we been credibly linked with Worrall?

Paddy says he is someone that Norwich have had a long term interest in and ‘like a lot’. 

Brentford had apparently agreed a fee between £10m - £12m but pursued the Ajer deal instead. 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Paddy says he is someone that Norwich have had a long term interest in and ‘like a lot’. 

Brentford had apparently agreed a fee between £10m - £12m but pursued the Ajer deal instead. 

Thanks, Bethnal.

1 hour ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Barry Bannan🤦‍♂️

Isn't he The Hulk?