Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

43 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I absolutely hope that we don't pay over the odds for someone just because we've put them on a list. It's a ridiculous notion that we can magically find a couple of million down the back of the sofa to 'push the boat out'.

We have a limited budget available for transfers which also includes signing on fees, agent fees, wages and bonuses. We will undoubtedly spend it all. We need to ensure we get the maximum value for money.

Let Brentford pay £3.5m more than we were willing to pay. We have to be smarter rather than just paying more.

Much as I do feel that Billing, given his height power and physicality would bring a new defensive mindset to us and all.. I do recall Bournmouth fans calling him a donkey and how he really failed to impress when he played against us last

I think that we all understand that we try and develop players and hope to make a profit when they leave, this is the model that we go by as a self sustaining club, but also we were told that we have learnt the lessons from last time and this time will be different, we know that Webber didn't give Farke the players he needed to stay up, and we will be making sure that this time we have those players to give us the best opportunity and will be all very happy at what we bring in. I am happy with what we have done thus far but we can all see that there is work to do, and the new players we have should be improving the starting 11 more quality and less quantity.

7 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Watched him 10 - 15 times and never been overly impressed with him. A striker who doesn’t take many shots or get into dangerous positions. His best attributes have always been he works hard and does his defensive work. 

I suppose at 21 he can develop still (I must admit I thought he was older). Might generate a bit of revenue from the USA as well. 

£5m wouldn’t be a bad deal, but wouldn’t go anywhere near the reports that suggest €10m. 

Can he play on the wing or as a 10? 

From the BBC gossip page for Monday 

Arsenal have entered the race to sign Norwich's21-year-old English full-back Max Aarons - also linked with Bayern Munich - with the Gunners keen to land a replacement for Spaniard Hector Bellerin, 26. (Express)

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Arsenal have entered the race to sign Norwich's21-year-old English full-back Max Aarons - also linked with Bayern Munich - with the Gunners keen to land a replacement for Spaniard Hector Bellerin, 26. (Express)

Hmm, this sure feels and sounds the same as last years transfer widnow..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Deja p-o-o territory, where have I seen this s-h-i-t before?

Edited by TheGunnShow
Seriously? The word "****" triggers the censors??? **** me up the **** **** chute with a bloody cactus.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

If I remember correctly they were interested in Emi. Not interested enough to make a bid though.

Just now, Iwans Big Toe said:

If I remember correctly they were interested in Emi. Not interested enough to make a bid though.

They couldn’t afford Emi. 

DF on transfers:

“In each and every area we must strengthen if we can. Centre back is one area, another full back option, in central midfield four have left with and we have brought in two with (Pierre) Lees-Melou and (Billy) Gilmour, so that is somewhere we can strengthen. Also up front. I think the only area we are not looking for players is goalkeeper. There is still some business to do but we have a good base. We just need the last final pieces and if we do then I have the feeling it could be a great window for us. Right now, it is too early to judge.” 

8 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

DF on transfers:

“In each and every area we must strengthen if we can. Centre back is one area, another full back option, in central midfield four have left with and we have brought in two with (Pierre) Lees-Melou and (Billy) Gilmour, so that is somewhere we can strengthen. Also up front. I think the only area we are not looking for players is goalkeeper. There is still some business to do but we have a good base. We just need the last final pieces and if we do then I have the feeling it could be a great window for us. Right now, it is too early to judge.” 

So in other words 'other than the keeper we need to buy a whole new starting 11' 🤔

I must say I can't help feeling that the talk about Omobamidele coming back in great condition might be a ploy by SW.

By making us seem like we are not desperate to bring a really good CB in, it could lead to clubs not trying to flog us to the same extent as they would if they knew we needed one urgently.

I reckon we'll spend 7-10m on a CB towards the end of the window, probably after the start of the season, when prices will be lower etc

Just a hunch

4 minutes ago, WSM said:

I must say I can't help feeling that the talk about Omobamidele coming back in great condition might be a ploy by SW.

By making us seem like we are not desperate to bring a really good CB in, it could lead to clubs not trying to flog us to the same extent as they would if they knew we needed one urgently.

I reckon we'll spend 7-10m on a CB towards the end of the window, probably after the start of the season, when prices will be lower etc

Just a hunch

Yeah, I don't see a huge rush in the need to get a centre back - Gibson and Hanley will start the season so even if one arrived tomorrow they probably wouldn't start the first few games.

There will potentially be some bargains towards the end of the window and clubs that hold their nerve could really profit. 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Yeah, I don't see a huge rush in the need to get a centre back - Gibson and Hanley will start the season so even if one arrived tomorrow they probably wouldn't start the first few games.

There will potentially be some bargains towards the end of the window and clubs that hold their nerve could really profit. 

Also the closer you get to the end of the window the clearer the picture for certain loan deals becomes.

I do wonder if longer term Adarabiyio and Fulham could fall into our laps. He's been linked with Newcastle and Arsenal but despite his reported release clause he's not moved. I get the sense he might be the 2nd or 3rd choice target for either of them so if they sign someone else we could be in pole position.

Just now, king canary said:

Also the closer you get to the end of the window the clearer the picture for certain loan deals becomes.

I do wonder if longer term Adarabiyio and Fulham could fall into our laps. He's been linked with Newcastle and Arsenal but despite his reported release clause he's not moved. I get the sense he might be the 2nd or 3rd choice target for either of them so if they sign someone else we could be in pole position.

I'm sceptical over the release fee, I feel if he was available for £10m someone would have done it by now. 

Will be interesting to see what happens with him. Whether Norwich would want to pay £10m up front to trigger his clause (if it does exist) is another matter though.

29 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Given the first few games, surely have our defence sorted earlier than later?

35 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That's my thinking too. Some clubs will be desperate for money and may have no choice but to sell in the last week of the window. It's just a shame that it closes so late this year.

There's an article on the Athletic about how EFL clubs (without parachute payments) have very little money to spend - and the impact of covid on European clubs has been well documented.

6 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Given the first few games, surely have our defence sorted earlier than later?

That’s the point, it *is* sorted (unless we sell Max of course). Even if we brought in a £20 million CB, we should go with the tried and tested combination.

1 minute ago, Yellow and Green said:

That's my thinking too. Some clubs will be desperate for money and may have no choice but to sell in the last week of the window. It's just a shame that it closes so late this year.

There's an article on the Athletic about how EFL clubs (without parachute payments) have very little money to spend - and the impact of covid on European clubs has been well documented.

Equally some prices go up as clubs panic. If we are to look for bargains just before the “slamming shut” of the window, it should be for players we don’t need. It also means we have to be prepared to end the window with money left unspent. Which might not be such a bad thing if it gives us some emergency funds for January.

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

That’s the point, it *is* sorted (unless we sell Max of course). Even if we brought in a £20 million CB, we should go with the tried and tested combination.

Farke saying they need a cb is tosh then? 

2 minutes ago, Number9 said:

No, just that whoever came in would take time to acclimatise.

I know it's sacrilege to say it but I don't think any of our current CBs are comfortably more Premier than Champs. 

I do give Gibbo the benefit of the doubt and pray that Farke has polished up Grant but, as I felt this time 2 years ago, I would like every penny we have thrown at 2 new CBs.

9 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

They couldn’t afford Emi. 

They could - they spent more than this on White. They thought that we were asking too much.

24 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I know it's sacrilege to say it but I don't think any of our current CBs are comfortably more Premier than Champs. 

I do give Gibbo the benefit of the doubt and pray that Farke has polished up Grant but, as I felt this time 2 years ago, I would like every penny we have thrown at 2 new CBs.

I think Hanley has been more than polished up. He has been playing the best football of his career in the last season and the Euros, in using his pace and anticipation well and also adding a bit more skill and confidence in his passing game. 

Key to the defence is the ability of midfielders to do their job in covering and defending and that was here Skipp was so good last season. Proper cover and tracking back takes a bit of pressure off the back four and that is what was lacking last time out in the PL and lets remember Hanley was injured for a good part of that season.  Hanley and Gibson is a good pairing at the top level imo and if both are fit and on form, I would expect them to be the starters this season, whoever we get in......mind you, Omobamidele completely looks  the part too and it wouldn't surprise me if he has a big part to play this season.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Number9 said:

A CB is needed, but the situation is not so desperate the club should rush into an unfavourable deal or bring in a player Norwich are uncertain about. 

Opportunities will arise throughout the window. Players who will be available in a few weeks might not be available now. 

It seems unlikely any new centre back would go straight into the starting XI (within reason obviously, if there was some cosmic accident and Van Dijk arrived at Norwich he’d definitely start for example) so rather  than needing someone within next couple of weeks, Norwich can give it a bit more time. 

The difficult start to the season is advantageous in the respect that those games could be seen as ‘free hits’.

If there were games at home against Watford, Brentford, Palace in the first few weeks you’d want to see a fully strengthened squad available as it is the results in those kind of games that will likely have the biggest say in the final outcome of the season. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

That is my view too.

I think Gibson can be and I think Omobamidele can be given time. Hanley I think has a ceiling a 3rd choice at this level and Zimbo is a bit shot in my opinion.

I understand we've not got the budget to have 3 or 4 proven commodities in any one position but I'd like to see someone come in and challenge for a starting spot ASAP. 

54 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

No, just that whoever came in would take time to acclimatise.

So you get them in now rather than a couple of weeks into the season?

11 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

A CB is needed, but the situation is not so desperate the club should rush into an unfavourable deal or bring in a player Norwich are uncertain about. 

Opportunities will arise throughout the window. Players who will be available in a few weeks might not be available now. 

It seems unlikely any new centre back would go straight into the starting XI (within reason obviously, if there was some cosmic accident and Van Dijk arrived at Norwich he’d definitely start for example) so rather  than needing someone within next couple of weeks, Norwich can give it a bit more time. 

The difficult start to the season is advantageous in the respect that those games could be seen as ‘free hits’.

If there were games at home against Watford, Brentford, Palace in the first few weeks you’d want to see a fully strengthened squad available as it is the results in those kind of games that will likely have the biggest say in the final outcome of the season. 

That sounds worryingly like getting excuses ready in advance.