Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Think I'd rather live in a wheelless bus than attempt to fly a broken-winged billionaire's unicorn

Fundamentally you have hit the nail on the head of our problem as a club. A board of Director's with no ambition and far to many fans who share the same negative attitude 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If Max is not at least on the bench for Lincoln on Tuesday then I will start to worry, but yes the club puttiing Mumba on a big pedastool, giving him a big new long deal and putting out lots of interviews and promotional photos with him etc does say quite a lot, gven Max's absense from our meda too

Just to clairfy - he's not been absent from "our meda too".

PinkUn team posted he was in the stands along with Hanley and some of the other players not playing Vs Lynn. Shots of him being there have been shared about. On top of that, he is in some of the training vids the club has put up on youtube. 

• Like 1

Just now, Uncle Fred said:

Fundamentally you have hit the nail on the head of our problem as a club. A board of Director's with no ambition and far to many fans who share the same negative attitude 

Not quite Uncle! As sweet as it is to believe in unicorns I suggest you don't invest in too much hope that one is going to come along and whisk you off to Narnia.

5 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Not quite Uncle! As sweet as it is to believe in unicorns I suggest you don't invest in too much hope that one is going to come along and whisk you off to Narnia.

Has he checked the closet for Narnia yet? Might find more in there than he bargained for

13 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Best whip up some fans into a frenzy and get the pitchforks out then hey?

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Has he checked the closet for Narnia yet? Might find more in there than he bargained for

Dangerous territory methinks!

20 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

@Bethnal Yellow and Green What is it about Sargent that makes you feel he isn’t for us ?

Watched him 10 - 15 times and never been overly impressed with him. A striker who doesn’t take many shots or get into dangerous positions. His best attributes have always been he works hard and does his defensive work. 

I suppose at 21 he can develop still (I must admit I thought he was older). Might generate a bit of revenue from the USA as well. 

£5m wouldn’t be a bad deal, but wouldn’t go anywhere near the reports that suggest €10m. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Did he ever come out of the closet once he,went in? I'd say no.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Watched him 10 - 15 times and never been overly impressed with him. A striker who doesn’t take many shots or get into dangerous positions. His best attributes have always been he works hard and does his defensive work. 

I suppose at 21 he can develop still (I must admit I thought he was older). Might generate a bit of revenue from the USA as well. 

£5m wouldn’t be a bad deal, but wouldn’t go anywhere near the reports that suggest €10m. 

There are countless forwards that have developed into top players after the age of 21. Look at the top scorers in the prem last year. Kane, Calvert-Lewin, Vardy, Watkins, Bamford.

I'd be happy to pick him up and see what Farke can do with him at whatever the market rate is.

Edited by Krul Mistress
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

There are countless forwards that have developed into top players after the age of 21. Look at the top scorers in the prem last year. Kane, Calvert -Lewin, Vardy, Watkins, Bamford.

And many ‘hot prospects’ like Sargent who have never gone on to much. 

Having watched Sargent, I don’t rate him as a player right now. Maybe in 3 or 4 years he’s great, but that’s not going to help Norwich right now - which is where transfer funds need to be focused. 

I'd be very surprised if we were willing to spend anywhere near that reported amount on Sargent. And I have a difficult time seeing him being what we need behind Pukki.

Daryl Dike on the other hand ... 🤩

Michael Bailey's article is much ado about nothing I think—a bit of journalistic digging away at a "problem" that doesn't truly exist. I'm a bit disappointed in him for not being more positive/constructive following the first friendly of the summer and so devolving the conversation into a somewhat unhelpful "Why haven't Norwich done ________??!?!?" territory.

We've done a fair bit of business in this window already and there is a lot of time left. Nobody should be panicking at all.

11 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Michael Bailey's article is much ado about nothing I think—a bit of journalistic digging away at a "problem" that doesn't truly exist. I'm a bit disappointed in him for not being more positive/constructive following the first friendly of the summer and so devolving the conversation into a somewhat unhelpful "Why haven't Norwich done ________??!?!?" territory.

We've done a fair bit of business in this window already and there is a lot of time left. Nobody should be panicking at all.

Have you read the piece as it isn’t negative? Not that it should matter as Michael’s job isn’t just to act as a cheerleader for the club but report what is going on. 

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Have you read the piece as it isn’t negative? Not that it should matter as Michael’s job isn’t just to act as a cheerleader for the club but report what is going on. 

For those of us without the Athletic, could you give us in a sentence or two the jist of it?

54 minutes ago, birchfest said:

For those of us without the Athletic, could you give us in a sentence or two the jist of it?

I mean I've no idea how you can consider an article negative when it literally had the line;

"Which means this summer needs to be different and so far, the signs are encouraging" 

It's a summary piece, so goes through the signings so far. It then quotes Farke after Kings Lynn who said the only position he was happy with was goalkeeper. 

Says Norwich would have been interested in Brandon Williams, but only if Max left. Suggests things are more complicated by injuries to full backs. 

Says Billing is our top target at the moment, but Bournemouth want £15m and we will only pay £10m.

Speaks about King and Armstrong and between the two being the sort of striker Norwich want to sign.  

Says two center half targets got away as became too expensive - Ajer and Bornauw. Suggests that position is now a tough call as Andy O is impressing. 

Ends saying that the club feel they're in a better position than 2 years ago.

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Not the whole article, but main snippets...

"Which means this summer needs to be different and so far, the signs are encouraging…

That is the business done with the £38 million departure of Emiliano Buendia to Aston Villa as its backdrop. The question is, what happens next?

“In every area, we need to stay awake and strengthen the squad a little bit,” says Farke.

“Centre-back is one area but perhaps another full-back option. Four midfield players have left us (Alex Tettey, Mario Vrancic and Marco Stiepermann, and the end of Oliver Skipp’s loan from Tottenham Hotspur) and we have two back in, so that’s an area we could strengthen. Also up front.

“The only area where we are safe right now is the goalkeeper position, so there is still some business to do.”

The last line is delivered with a smile.

Aarons got a minor knock in training, Giannoulis is out for up to a fortnight with an early hamstring strain and Byram’s long-awaited comeback has had a minor setback — although Farke remains hopeful he will be involved this season.

Norwich have a ceiling for what they are willing to offer, along with continuing to implement Championship wage reductions that kick in should the season end in relegation. This pragmatism often puts them at a financial disadvantage when recruiting against clubs that feel more secure in their top-flight status.

Norwich feel they are in a significantly better position than two seasons ago, while also knowing that two or three more deals could elevate the strength of that feeling.

“It’s a good base,” adds Farke. “The squad is strong so far and if we find the final pieces I have the feeling it could be a great window for us. But it’s too early to judge that.” "

Edited by Bovril
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

I'd be very surprised if we were willing to spend anywhere near that reported amount on Sargent. And I have a difficult time seeing him being what we need behind Pukki.

Daryl Dike on the other hand ... 🤩

Just no, so overrated it’s untrue

Diedhou or however it is spelt on a free could be a bargain.  Formerly Bristol C striker perhaps an option.

Not a rumour just a suggestion 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pete said:

Diedhou or however it is spelt on a free could be a bargain.  Formerly Bristol C striker perhaps an option.

Not a rumour just a suggestion 

A handful but nothing more. May as well keep Hugill. 

Those quotes from the article are far less downbeat than I expected.  There’s still lots of time.  I do find it strange how hard it seems to find a cb, though.

A little bit concerned that for Ajer and now Billing, the word coming through is Norwich only prepared to pay £10m. I'm sure it's not like that at all, and £9.4m is nothing to sniff about re: Rashica, but I hope some of our "A" list targets aren't lost because £10m is the absolute top dollar we're prepared to pay.

It's a great structure and principle, but sometimes you might need to push the boat out just a little bit more to get what you want 

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Those quotes from the article are far less downbeat than I expected.  There’s still lots of time.  I do find it strange how hard it seems to find a cb, though.

I suspect that it is to do with movement in the market.

For example, take Spurs. They are looking for another striker to back up Kane with, or even be Kane's replacement should Man City make a move for him. It could be that they are waiting for that move. Rumour has it they are looking at Ings at Southampton. Southampton were linked with the same Greek striker as us around the same time we were linked. Then their attention is reportedly all on Armstrong. The question is will they drop that sort of money before knowing Ings is off?

Whoever they pick up may have an impact on us. Would Armstrong go there leaving the Greek international to come to us?

Equally, we are trying to get a CB. Recent reports suggest Joe Worrell at Forrest. Although just a bit of conjecture, Paddy suggest that their interest in Hugill could be linked. Now, playing devil's advocate, could we be waiting to land a striker before committing to that sort of deal rather than gain a CB, lose a striker and be left with just Pukki and Idah going into a premier league season?

Things are complicated and usually far from straight forward, it doesn't mean no progress though, just waiting for things to fall into place.

15 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

A little bit concerned that for Ajer and now Billing, the word coming through is Norwich only prepared to pay £10m. I'm sure it's not like that at all, and £9.4m is nothing to sniff about re: Rashica, but I hope some of our "A" list targets aren't lost because £10m is the absolute top dollar we're prepared to pay.

It's a great structure and principle, but sometimes you might need to push the boat out just a little bit more to get what you want 

The word is often confused. Two reports coming from the press re Ajer - one is that we offered £10m back in May and that was the one and only offer - take it or leave it. The other suggests that we offered more in add ons after an initial offer was rebuffed. Sometimes there is truth in both, so I suspect the £10m may have had add ons to it as well. Same as the Brentford deal is £13.5m plus add ons - or so it has been reported.

I would also be cautious using terminology we are used to using from prior to Webber's era. I'm not sure we have the same sort of approach anymore to scouting and creating lists of players. I think we work more with a pool of targets and work on all of them. Gone are the days of Alex Neil or other managers who seem to have four very specific players they want, end up paying over the odds once that is relatively well known and then putting all of our eggs in one basket only to find out they were hugely over valued.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

I can't help but feel that Billing will be a Norwich player by the end of the window, I think we will settle for a deal that is heavy on add ons ,but I'm not sure Bournemouth can afford to not sell this window. With Celtic we were in a different market. 

6 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Aye, it's your positivity that sets you apart on this board Fred.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

I absolutely hope that we don't pay over the odds for someone just because we've put them on a list. It's a ridiculous notion that we can magically find a couple of million down the back of the sofa to 'push the boat out'.

We have a limited budget available for transfers which also includes signing on fees, agent fees, wages and bonuses. We will undoubtedly spend it all. We need to ensure we get the maximum value for money.

Let Brentford pay £3.5m more than we were willing to pay. We have to be smarter rather than just paying more.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

And many ‘hot prospects’ like Sargent who have never gone on to much. 

Having watched Sargent, I don’t rate him as a player right now. Maybe in 3 or 4 years he’s great, but that’s not going to help Norwich right now - which is where transfer funds need to be focused. 

I'm not sure you understand our current transfer policy. Buy (a majority of) players who we can develop and sell on, hopefully at a profit. It's why we spent £8-10m on Rashica and baulked at£13m for Ajer, the club obviously feel there is resale value in one but not the other.

If we could have got Sargent at a price the powers that be deem reasonable he would have been in the door with the aim of developing him in 3 or 4 years to a top striker we can make a few quid on. Pukki will still be our first choice next season, anyone coming in will have to push him hard for that starting berth.