Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Considering how much smoking has reduced, it's a wonder there are enough fanpackets left to do maths on these days.

I tended to use the back of gig fliers!  Trouble is not been too many of them due to Covid, hence why I haven't been able to contribute to the discussion on transfer budgets.  But from next Monday that all changes - if I can be arsed to go to a gig any more! 😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Afternoon!

I'm fairly happy with what we've done so far. I think there's a fair argument to say it might have been worth paying approx double for Billing over Lees-Melou, as at least Billing has some Prem experience. Having not seen Melou play, i'd have gone for Billing (who i'm not a massive fan of actually). Which decision is right will only be known as the season progresses of course.

I'd like to think we still have a bit of money to spend and if we have targets of appropriate value I suspect we might have another £20 million or so to spend inclusive of all the additionals @Bethnal Yellow and Green mentioned.

I can’t disagree with any of that, OTBC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I tended to use the back of gig fliers!  Trouble is not been too many of them due to Covid, hence why I haven't been able to contribute to the discussion on transfer budgets.  But from next Monday that all changes - if I can be arsed to go to a gig any more! 😆

I don’t know about being arsed - there are a few bands I would love to see live but it feels too soon to sit inside with loads of other people who are likely to be singing at the top of their voices, even if it is behind a mask. 

22 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I know Omotoye struggled on loan at Swindon last season in League One, but I can't see him dropping all the way down to the National League if he were to be loaned out again. I'd say Omotoye's partner in the first half of last season, Tom Dickson-Peters, would be more likely, if any of this is true.

Familiar with Omotoye and he would be a coup at this level but I agree possibly unrealistic. What's Dickson-Peters like as a player? The thing we are missing upfront at the moment is a bit of height and physicality. Need someone to chase balls and lay on knock-downs for Rhys Murphy.

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

You always pop up with a mention of music in your posts, I can’t remember the last time I went to a gig - what’s your go to see when we can?! From memory you’re into your post punk right? Any good bands you can recommend, desperate for some new ones. Last one I listened and enjoyed was TV Priest.

16 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

You always pop up with a mention of music in your posts, I can’t remember the last time I went to a gig - what’s your go to see when we can?! From memory you’re into your post punk right? Any good bands you can recommend, desperate for some new ones. Last one I listened and enjoyed was TV Priest.

I like a band called Do Nothing, from Nottingham, who I caught just prior to Covid striking.  

We've got Tramlines Festival in Sheffield next weekend, I won't get to that, but the Fringe in the City centre has loads of gigs at pubs with lots of new bands. 

https://www.rgm.press/whats-on-at-tramlines-fringe-festival-sheffield-2021/festivals/

If I only get to a tenth of these I will have quenched my gigs thirst!  😄

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Dunno if you enjoy fast, raging punk? If so, check out the new Bootlicker record and also Slant. Amazing stuff!

Geld are an awesome band in the same kinda vein. As are Gulch. 

I like all sorts of different styles of music but these records have really grabbed me of late.

• Like 1

Not a rumour in terms of us but a former target moves on. 8 years ago, we were heavily linked for Van Ginkel, then a 20-21 year old full of promise. Instead, he was snapped up by Chelsea and became one of their sea of loan mercenaries for hire.

In that time he's played for Milan, Stoke, Chelsea and three seasons at PSV.

Last month he moved on a free to PSV permanently. At 28, he arguably has time to still make a name for himself, having had a couple of serious injuries on the way. What it may have been if he had come to us, who knows, but possibly another example of taking too big a step too soon?

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2021/06/18/van-ginkel-joins-psv

Edited by chicken

15 minutes ago, gav.zoe@btinternet.com said:

City linked with free agent left back Pierre-Yves Polomat

'Pierre-Yves Polomat is the subject of a war between Norwich City and Amiens'.

143 *million* Euros?

That would certainly match Webber’s description of a surprising transfer window. 

P.S. Speaking as someone who can’t be arsed to do any research, is he any good?

Looks like he's been loaned out most of his career, out of contract as of now. 

Emergency cover in case all current squad get injured in a freak LBs' night out. 

36 minutes ago, gav.zoe@btinternet.com said:

City linked with free agent left back Pierre-Yves Polomat

'Pierre-Yves Polomat is the subject of a war between Norwich City and Amiens'.

Paru Vendu is the French equivalent of GumTree I think.

This is a bot transfer account that randomly generates transfer stories I think.

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Paru Vendu is the French equivalent of GumTree I think.

This is a bot transfer account that randomly generates transfer stories I think.

Agree - can't see there being any element of truth in this one.

The noises coming out of the Pinkun about how we might not go after a starting quality CB because Omobamidele has looked good in training, is very worrying to me. 

5 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

The noises coming out of the Pinkun about how we might not go after a starting quality CB because Omobamidele has looked good in training, is very worrying to me. 

Why? He looked very decent indeed in the closing matches of the Championship, and our remit under Farke and Webber will always be about letting promising youngsters have their lead if they're showing in training or lower level matches that they have the potential to make the step up.

If he didn't look that promising, you can safely bet he'd be on the Famewo or indeed Klose track now. The really intriguing one now is Bushiri, but it does seem to be that he's more out than in right now.

31 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Why? He looked very decent indeed in the closing matches of the Championship, and our remit under Farke and Webber will always be about letting promising youngsters have their lead if they're showing in training or lower level matches that they have the potential to make the step up.

If he didn't look that promising, you can safely bet he'd be on the Famewo or indeed Klose track now. The really intriguing one now is Bushiri, but it does seem to be that he's more out than in right now.

31 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Why, because he's 18 and not ready. He did OK last season, but playing in a team dominating possession and being on the front foot is a world away from how it'll be in the EPL for us. 

29 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Why, because he's 18 and not ready. He did OK last season, but playing in a team dominating possession and being on the front foot is a world away from how it'll be in the EPL for us. 

Why do we keep knocking our young players? Why do we keep knocking the ability of our coaching staff to identify a player capable of contributing to our league season? 

We (and I'll admit to being guilty of this myself) did it to Todd last time. Look at how that turned out. 

If the guy is performing on a par with the other players in his position in training and having exceeded all possible expectations last season, then he deserves a shot in pre season to prove we don't need to spend millions on a player who may well be no better. 

Palace are about to pay £15m (rising to a possible £20m) for Marc Guehi. If Omobamodiele (apologies if spelt wrong) can step up, that's massive for us in so many ways. We should be supporting him rather than posting how it makes us "fearful" and saying "he's not ready", like we know better than the coaching staff.

• Like 5

Brentford signing Ajer - 13.5m - not sure he is worth that much

Interesting i nthe recent article that we are upping our interest in Billing. I have to say I was surprised to read many comments on here saying they did not overly rate him.

I have to say I have been impressed and felt he is a great player to bring in. Strong, tenacious, quality with the ball and height. Sounds like big bucks and maybe not the sitting back defensive midfielder I would have thought of, but mobile, energy and could certainly be an option. Certainly a midfielder I would like in the ranks if our interest is genuine and the fee did not stop us looking for funds being allocated for a centre half (whether that is loan or otherwise), winger and striker

9 minutes ago, smooth said:

Interesting i nthe recent article that we are upping our interest in Billing. I have to say I was surprised to read many comments on here saying they did not overly rate him.

I have to say I have been impressed and felt he is a great player to bring in. Strong, tenacious, quality with the ball and height. Sounds like big bucks and maybe not the sitting back defensive midfielder I would have thought of, but mobile, energy and could certainly be an option. Certainly a midfielder I would like in the ranks if our interest is genuine and the fee did not stop us looking for funds being allocated for a centre half (whether that is loan or otherwise), winger and striker

I think one concern is that PLM is not a defensive midfielder and neither is Billing, so are we dropping filling that latter position as a priority.

Edited by PurpleCanary

7 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think one concern is that PLM is not a defensive midfielder and neither is Billing, so are we dropping filling that latter position as a priority.

Yeah exactly that is why it is interesting that today his name was still mentioned in that article after Pierre joining in the latest transfer rumour on the pinkun.

We need a DM and been crying out for one for years to challenge and surpass Tettey. We have to get it right this year but we seem to have a large midfield area without a defensive midfielder. Plenty of energy and ability to sit alongside that key position.

Just interesting to see that he is still a name being prominently mentioned when we know we are looking for that DM.

The only way Billing would look to come in is if a player there was on the move like Kenny. But I cannot see that happening at all unless a big money bid came in. I can't see that this summer.

DM, CD, ST and potentially a wide player all sounds good to me, so as you say purple Billing would be a signing in an area with enough numbers once the DM comes in.

Billing played DM for Huddersfield when Webber was there, so guess that he may feel he can do it for Norwich. Also, Gilmour has played as DM for Chelsea.

Without knowing how the midfield will set up it is hard to say exactly what Norwich need in there, if they go for more of a 4-3-3 then Gilmour, Billing, Lees-Melou and Mclean offer 4 very good options in that system. A midfield 3 like that wouldn't require a Skipp/Tettey style defensive midfielder who sits and protects, having three results in more bodies in the centre of the pitch and less likely to get countered if the '6' pushes too high up the pitch. 

It would put a lot of pressure on GIlmour though as I think he is the only one out of the midfield options who has the ability to dictate tempo and retain possession well. PLM could maybe do that, I haven't seen enough to say he can't, but he does seem like someone who wants to cover ground up and down the pitch.

I'm surprised Norwich are still in for Billing, as PLM seems a very similar type of player, but can see why Norwich are drawn to Billing who has a lot of good attributes (and Webber has previous experience working with him).

34 minutes ago, WSM said:

Brentford signing Ajer - 13.5m - not sure he is worth that much

Considering he's in the last year of his contract, I would have said that 10m was about right.

He is only 23 though and will be worth a lot more than that in 12 months if he has a good season with Brentford.

1 hour ago, Darth Vadis said:

It is a bit, not because I don’t rate Omobamidele as a medium term prospect but because with the season just 3 or 4 weeks away, neither Hanley or Gibson are training with the first team yet (based on the footage available) and both must be fitness doubts for the first couple of games. 

This re. the midfield is definitely making me think two things:

1. Gilmour will be tasked to play as a deep-lying playmaker, and McLean + 1 other are going to be more box-to-box guys, so we play without a central number 10 with both box-to-box men tasked to help out in defence too.

2. Sorensen's getting readied, probably to sit alongside Gilmour.

Back to Omobamidele and @Terminally Yellow essentially takes a similar stance to me. If Farke - a manager with a quite splendid recent record of judging when a youngster looks ready and developing them - reckons Omobamidele could be in the running, he's in the running.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Billing played DM for Huddersfield when Webber was there, so guess that he may feel he can do it for Norwich. Also, Gilmour has played as DM for Chelsea.

Without knowing how the midfield will set up it is hard to say exactly what Norwich need in there, if they go for more of a 4-3-3 then Gilmour, Billing, Lees-Melou and Mclean offer 4 very good options in that system. A midfield 3 like that wouldn't require a Skipp/Tettey style defensive midfielder who sits and protects, having three results in more bodies in the centre of the pitch and less likely to get countered if the '6' pushes too high up the pitch. 

It would put a lot of pressure on GIlmour though as I think he is the only one out of the midfield options who has the ability to dictate tempo and retain possession well. PLM could maybe do that, I haven't seen enough to say he can't, but he does seem like someone who wants to cover ground up and down the pitch.

I'm surprised Norwich are still in for Billing, as PLM seems a very similar type of player, but can see why Norwich are drawn to Billing who has a lot of good attributes (and Webber has previous experience working with him).

I think what I and others noticed was Bournemouth fans saying (and this was during last season) that finally Billing had found - or had found for him - his best position, up the field, behind the striker or strikers. That he was much better there than in a more defensive role. But I guess Webber and Farke might indeed feel he can also do well further back, because on the face of it his best position does make him similar to PLM.

43 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Why do we keep knocking our young players? Why do we keep knocking the ability of our coaching staff to identify a player capable of contributing to our league season? 

We (and I'll admit to being guilty of this myself) did it to Todd last time. Look at how that turned out. 

If the guy is performing on a par with the other players in his position in training and having exceeded all possible expectations last season, then he deserves a shot in pre season to prove we don't need to spend millions on a player who may well be no better. 

Palace are about to pay £15m (rising to a possible £20m) for Marc Guehi. If Omobamodiele (apologies if spelt wrong) can step up, that's massive for us in so many ways. We should be supporting him rather than posting how it makes us "fearful" and saying "he's not ready", like we know better than the coaching staff.

Guehi looked good at Swansea to be fair. 

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Honestly I think Rupp could do that dictating the play role - when I saw him last season I did feel there was a metronomic quality to his passing

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

I think what I and others noticed was Bournemouth fans saying (and this was during last season) that finally Billing had found - or had found for him - his best position, up the field, behind the striker or strikers. That he was much better there than in a more defensive role. But I guess Webber and Farke might indeed feel he can also do well further back, because on the face of it his best position does make him similar to PLM.

He never played DM for Bournemouth though, and was usually deployed in a two man midfield in Eddie Howe's 4--4-2. I think he could get exposed in that position more than in a 3 man midfield.

I don't think Norwich are necessarily signing him as a defensive midfielder, that looks like it will be Gilmour - but if you have Billing next to PLM/McLean you suddenly have a really hard working duo who'll cover a ton of ground and be able to go both forwards and backwards depending on the game state. What happens if Gilmour is injured is the question, but both PLM and Billing have experience in that DM role. 

6 minutes ago, WSM said:

Honestly I think Rupp could do that dictating the play role - when I saw him last season I did feel there was a metronomic quality to his passing

That is a good shout actually, he is an excellent passer of the ball and has the positional intelligence to do it also. 

• Like 1