Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

Just now, Alex Moss said:

Cheers Bethnal, interesting, sounds like a Stiepermann/Mario replacement to me. 

He's very much a player like Kenny McLean, rather Stiepermann or Vrancic.

A box-to-box midfielder, who while maybe not the most technically gifted, will run all day and make challenges and progress the ball up the pitch with carries, rather than passes. An archetypical No.8.

He's also over 6ft tall (although maybe not the strongest). If this is true (and I suspect it is) then he will probably be coming in ahead of Billing and OGC Nice were rumoured to be looking to sell him on for €5m - which would certainly free up some budget. He appears to be a bit of a cult figure in Nice - while some love him, some hate him. 

His addition could be further evidence of Norwich going to a more 4-3-3 next season with more combative midfielders who run with the ball, rather than trying to pass it up the pitch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He's very much a player like Kenny McLean, rather Stiepermann or Vrancic.

A box-to-box midfielder, who while maybe not the most technically gifted, will run all day and make challenges and progress the ball up the pitch with carries, rather than passes. An archetypical No.8.

He's also over 6ft tall (although maybe not the strongest). If this is true (and I suspect it is) then he will probably be coming in ahead of Billing and OGC Nice were rumoured to be looking to sell him on for €5m - which would certainly free up some budget. He appears to be a bit of a cult figure in Nice - while some love him, some hate him. 

His addition could be further evidence of Norwich going to a more 4-3-3 next season with more combative midfielders who run with the ball, rather than trying to pass it up the pitch.

weewee.png

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

One of Webber's value signings, by the sounds of this. Hope it comes off. 

I'm sure Michael Bailey will talk through this at some stage in an Athletic article, but looking at his SmarterScout stats, he does look like a combative box-to-box midfielder

Compared to other CM's in Ligue 1, he has

Defending Quantity 92, Recover 78, Disrupt Opposition Attacks 85, Link Up 70, Shoot 73

Could be a decent acquisition IMO

OTBC

Edited by WSM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WSM said:

I'm sure Michael Bailey will talk through this at some stage in an Athletic article, but looking at his SmarterScout stats, he does look like a combative box-to-box midfielder

Compared to other CM's in Ligue 1, he has

Defending Quantity 92, Recover 78, Disrupt Opposition Attacks 85, Link Up 70, Shoot 73

Could be a decent acquisition IMO

OTBC

Smarter Scout also flag him with a warning that he is 'low performer for English Premier League' - although I wouldn't pay too much attention to that as it is very dubious how they come to such conclusions. 

All that matters to me really is that we've scouted him thoroughly and know his game and his character inside out which in theory gives him a good chance of succeeding here. Look forward to seeing what he can do should he sign. 

• Like 2

Looks a good, solid signing for squad depth but I hope this doesn't mean we won't be in for any more CMs as we would still be seriously lacking.

Do we think it’s him instead of Billing, or more likely as well as?   We’ve lost several midfield guys with Mario, Stiepi, Tettey (and Skipp) having gone, and need some depth.   

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Do we think it’s him instead of Billing, or more likely as well as?   We’ve lost several midfield guys with Mario, Stiepi, Tettey (and Skipp) having gone, and need some depth.   

Feel it is him instead of Billing to be honest, both have a lot of similarities. Would mean midfield would be Gilmour, Rupp, McClean, Sorenson and Lees-Molou. Would mean there are 5 players for 2 positions (maybe 3 if a shape change). Can't see the club looking to add anymore without someone leaving.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be fair if we do get him regardless 5 million euros (around 3 million pounds?) Thats a hell of a bargain given players like Ajer are being touted for 20 million..

Can see us moving on from Ajer pretty swiftly.

Fair enough - the main hope has to be that he’s more a ‘Tettey’ class of signing than an ‘Amadou’! 
My main concern is that we don’t end up with a series of ‘not quite as good as’ we’d hoped-for signings, we have to remember we’re in the PL again, not the Championship - though of course have to cut our cloth to what ££ we have.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Big question marks for me over Rupp and Sorensen at this level though so I think we still look a bit light especially if we want to change formation. 

I can still remember quite clearly how Rupp was hopelessly outmatched physically by opposition midfielders 2 seasons ago, he looked like a boy playing against men and Sorensen is a good player but I don't think he's energetic, mobile or aggressive enough to play that role in the PL. I guess we'll see though. I'd still like another CM after Lees-Molou even if it's a loan, hopefully someone who's more of a ball winning DM like Skipp

3 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Big question marks for me over Rupp and Sorensen at this level though so I think we still look a bit light especially if we want to change formation. 

I can still remember quite clearly how Rupp was hopelessly outmatched physically by opposition midfielders 2 seasons ago, he looked like a boy playing against men and Sorensen is a good player but I don't think he's energetic, mobile or aggressive enough to play that role in the PL. I guess we'll see though. I'd still like another CM after Lees-Molou even if it's a loan, hopefully someone who's more of a ball winning DM like Skipp

I would agree with this. Sorensen albeit tidy is pretty unproven at Championship level in his desired position. Rupp looked a lot better as time went on, pre injury. Both arent Premiership operators for me on paper. Ready to be proven wrong on that point, but hopefully we are looking at other options too.

4 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

In fairness to Rupp he was coming off the back of some long term injuries when he first arrived at Norwich and was regaining fitness. Felt he was very good in the Championship, although concerns over his injury record still linger. I would expect Gilmour + McLean/Lees-Melou would be the primary pair. Whether there is anyone to back up Gilmour is a question mark, but presume that is what Sorenson is expected to do. 

Norwich are aiming for a small squad, so if they end up with 6 midfielders to play in the 2 midfield roles then that is too much money being used up for non-playing players. 

To be honest, whilst Bethnal might be correct re LM instead of Billing, it might have been a tactical decision by the club - rather than spending £c.10m on PB and spending 3-4m on a good player at a decent age from a cheap French market, it then frees 6 or so million to spend on another player, perhaps signing a very good CB or potentially another forward player/winger/striker.

There's the Q&A at 1pm on here so a good chance to ask Pad & Co

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

In fairness to Rupp he was coming off the back of some long term injuries when he first arrived at Norwich and was regaining fitness. Felt he was very good in the Championship, although concerns over his injury record still linger. I would expect Gilmour + McLean/Lees-Melou would be the primary pair. Whether there is anyone to back up Gilmour is a question mark, but presume that is what Sorenson is expected to do. 

Norwich are aiming for a small squad, so if they end up with 6 midfielders to play in the 2 midfield roles then that is too much money being used up for non-playing players. 

Totally agree re. Rupp - he'd been out for close to a year and was out of match practice. That was why we got him for half-a-million. Expecting him to slot in and play well in a discombobulated team with three centre-halves missing, out of position, and not match sharp (in Buendia's position to boot) was asking too much.

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Its a pretty risky strategy in fairness. A few injuries could leave us pretty threadbare, with question marks on whether the first team options are viable Premiership players initially. I do fear with a Pukki injury we will struggle, albeit with other options with Idah / Rashica filling in wont be enough. I will reserve judgement until I see the first team 11 day one of the season. Im sure they'll be more incomings.

54 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Feel it is him instead of Billing to be honest, both have a lot of similarities. Would mean midfield would be Gilmour, Rupp, McClean, Sorenson and Lees-Molou. Would mean there are 5 players for 2 positions (maybe 3 if a shape change). Can't see the club looking to add anymore without someone leaving.

I'm surprised that we haven't recruited a dcm replacement for Skipp/Tettey. 

Sorensen is probably the closest we've got but I doubt he'll be a regular starter.

Whilst I see some promise in our transfer activity, I am a little concerned I’m yet to see the supposed physicality that everyone seems to agree we need. 

2 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

I'm surprised that we haven't recruited a dcm replacement for Skipp/Tettey. 

Sorensen is probably the closest we've got but I doubt he'll be a regular starter.

It looks like Gilmour will be the Skipp replacement, I think they may want to pair him with a hard runner though - which is exactly what Lees-Melou does. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be fair if we do get him regardless 5 million euros (around 3 million pounds?) Thats a hell of a bargain given players like Ajer are being touted for 20 million..

That’s a great exchange rate for us. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can I have your exchange rate, please? 😉
image.thumb.png.dcfa7a2ec59cebd9f01acd0ee88f6ec9.png

If we do get this Lees-Melou champ, maybe the chant should be:

Lees-Melou, Melou
He's French and he's six foot two
He's coming straight after you
Lees-Melou, Melou.

(Might have got the pronunciation wrong. It's nearly 25 years since I did GCSE French).

• Like 2

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

If we do get this Lees-Melou champ, maybe the chant should be:

Lees-Melou, Melou
He's French and he's six foot two
He's coming straight after you
Lees-Melou, Melou.

(Might have got the pronunciation wrong. It's nearly 25 years since I did GCSE French).

Prefer this one: Melou Melou lets hope he's not really ****, Melou Melou.

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Might have got the pronunciation wrong. It's nearly 25 years since I did GCSE French

The pronunciation hasn't changed much 😉

2 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Prefer this one: Melou Melou lets hope he's not really ****, Melou Melou.

Melou Melou lets hope he's not really ****, Melou Melou.
More Zimbo and Gibson than Berthal-Askou

Shoving his name into twitter has him coming up in conversations alongside players like Yves Bissoma and Nicolas Dominguez (forgive spelling!) 

I mean if we've got this lad at under £5m, it makes a huge amount of sense considering Billing looks likely to cost three times that amount.

A shame, as I really like Billing. But can't deny this lad seems value for money.

• Like 1