Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

25 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Could explain why a striker is back on the menu and the club are talking about how impressive Omobamdele is looking, perhaps they might put the CB position on pause for now.

Indeed, could end up being similar to last summer. Farke wanted a fourth centre back to add to Hanley, Gibson and Zimmermann but for whatever reason it didn't happen, and just as the transfer window closed a few articles on Omobamidele's development started cropping up in the press. 

1 minute ago, Essjayess said:

Yep Celtic have slapped a 20 million price tag on Ajer...Breantford's 12 +3 mill add ons was rejected for the guy...i think for City the time has now come to move on...Ajer is valued at double our offer. What other targets  we could be  looking at who knows.

Just seen this, SJS. I don’t blame Celtic for trying to get as much as they can for him, but there has to be a sense of realism given his contractual situation. I mean £20mil squid - on what planet? 😂. I’ll p155 myself if they price themselves out so much that they lose him for absolutely nothing in a few short months on a pre contract agreement. Just goes to show by Brentford’s offer that even the reported £12mil fee they were asking for plus the expected add ons wasn’t even enough. Leave him there and let someone else sign him up in January, I’m sure we have plenty of irons in the fire 👍

• Like 2

Looks like it’s time to move on from Ajer - it’s unrealistic for a player to go for that much in his final year, Celtic rather seem intent on letting the guy go on a free.

Ajer isn't worth the £10m we had already bid, let alone £20m. Unproven in the PL and with suspect physical ability. Would rather we stuck with Andrew O, which it now looks like we're going to. Spend it on a back up striker.

10 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Just seen this, SJS. I don’t blame Celtic for trying to get as much as they can for him, but there has to be a sense of realism given his contractual situation. I mean £20mil squid - on what planet? 😂. I’ll p155 myself if they price themselves out so much that they lose him for absolutely nothing in a few short months on a pre contract agreement. Just goes to show by Brentford’s offer that even the reported £12mil fee they were asking for plus the expected add ons wasn’t even enough. Leave him there and let someone else sign him up in January, I’m sure we have plenty of irons in the fire 👍

Celtic have their most important games of the season before the transfer window closes. Their position on Ajer may well change once they have played their qualification games for the Champions League - getting to the group stage is worth around £20m for them. 

Ajer can agree with another team in January, but he’ll have to remain with Celtic until June. They certainly wouldn’t be the first team to allow a player’s contract to run out as they feel the final year is worth more to them than any potential fee they might be able to raise. 

Can still see Ajer leaving this window, for less than £20m, but can see why Celtic will play hard-ball until towards the end of the window. 

12 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If Norwich aren’t planning on raising their bid as suggested in the PinkUn, I think it is safe to say that Ajer isn’t coming to Norwich. 

With Bornauw seemingly being identified by Wolfsburg to replace Lacroix, who in turn is being targeted by Tottenham, Norwich might be getting lower down their list of targets for centre back. 

I figured we wouldn’t still be in for him, we seem to have a set budget of £10m for a new centre back 

The SPL is probably somewhere between League 1 and Championship level. Ajer is on a similar level to Hanley and Gibson. £10m represents a massive gamble. £20m is beyond a joke for this level of player, even if he wasn't in the last year of his contract. There must be better players available for less money. Time to move on. 

• Like 2

Said all along I'd rather we went for Adarabioyo. Hopefully this speeds up that process if they really are looking at him.

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Said all along I'd rather we went for Adarabioyo. Hopefully this speeds up that process if they really are looking at him.

He always seemed like the least likely player that Norwich could get out of the three names that were linked. I’m sure Adarabioyo will have a long list of Premier League suitors interested in him. 

Also, the £10m release fee (if true) actually makes the deal a little harder for Norwich as it would require all £10m up front. The £10m bid for Ajer was probably only £5m - £6m up front with the rest in instalments. Not sure Norwich would want to do a one off £10m payment. 

34 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He always seemed like the least likely player that Norwich could get out of the three names that were linked. I’m sure Adarabioyo will have a long list of Premier League suitors interested in him. 

Also, the £10m release fee (if true) actually makes the deal a little harder for Norwich as it would require all £10m up front. The £10m bid for Ajer was probably only £5m - £6m up front with the rest in instalments. Not sure Norwich would want to do a one off £10m payment. 

Do all release clauses have to be met up front? Or do some release clauses have another clause which allows for split payments etc?

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Do all release clauses have to be met up front? Or do some release clauses have another clause which allows for split payments etc?

Not sure about every release clause, but I've only ever heard of ones that are triggered by a one-off lump sum. 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Not sure about every release clause, but I've only ever heard of ones that are triggered by a one-off lump sum. 

Oh ok, cheers.

Cameron Carter-Vickers available for £5m from Spurs. Good experience at Bournemouth last season and a good age at 23. A much better buy than Ajer.

On 10/07/2021 at 13:23, Alex Moss said:

Good post as per usual, Purple 👍. As the forums playing up at the moment and it took numerous attempts just to try and post on the ‘kit’ thread I’ll keep it relatively short and sweet!

I am very pleased that it sounds like there’s maybe another ‘proper’ striker coming in. Round pegs and round holes and all that. As much as anything, I don’t want to sacrifice what we will hopefully get from Rashica playing in his usual role by having to use him as a makeshift striker. 

If Max or god forbid Todd leave, then you’d have to say that will add some decent money to the kitty, unless of course this has already been taken account for in what we’re doing now. And if we end up spending over £50mil plus wages and agents fees on new players this summer then I will be impressed. I’d say that shows good ambition given the stature of the owners pockets, and will certainly be more than I was expecting. I’m not sure how much truth there is in the Gibson and Giannoulis fees being already accounted for from last seasons budget so I will treat them as this seasons. And on transfer fees alone we must be around the £30mil mark alone already. If there’s any truth in us wanting to buy a striker, Ajer, and two more midfielders then we could be looking at a £60mil spend easily. I don’t think any of us would have predicted that before the window, not bad for a self sufficient plan that’s still relatively in its nascent stages.

I listened to that pink un podcast this morning, which included an admission that their thinking on this had shifted. Whether it is just their view or they believe or know this is also the Webber-Farke view is a question, but I suspect it is at least partly the latter.

Davitt initially suggested the likely departure of Hugill was a factor but I doubt that. Davitt et al had not before been including Hugill in the list of serious back-ups to Pukki. It was Idah and Rashica. Added to which, as he said, there had previously been a serious interest in Armstrong

The nub of it came when Southwell put forward the argument that it would be hard to attract anyone good enough because they would be stuck on the bench. Davitt was not going to outright contradict that, and equally he was not going to cast serious doubt on Pukki, so he had to talk round the subject a bit.

What he did emphasise what a massive workload Pukki has had for club and country over the last four years, and mentioned the injury troubles. If Pukki was fit and back to his sharpest then of course he was still the main man, but – left unsaid – was a ‘what if he is not’.

And as far as I can remember Davitt never once included Rashica in the potential strike force, saying only that only Pukki and Idah would not be enough. I think the key quote was:

‘There needs to be a far more equitable sharing of the goals,’ followed by ‘I can increasingly start to see why they might be willing to spend quite a few quid on a forward.’

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Cameron Carter-Vickers available for £5m from Spurs. Good experience at Bournemouth last season and a good age at 23. A much better buy than Ajer.

Celtic slapping such a big price tag on Ajer brings issues with their own agenda. Carter-Vickers is one of at least 3 or 4 names  closely linked to Celtic in last week or two as a replacement for Ajer. So what do they do? Allow an unhappy Ajer to sit and fester for the season and go ahead anyway and sign a replacement?..Have they even got funds for a replacement if Ajer does not leave? Likely as Bethnal suggests...they are playing hardball right now but in a few weeks will accept perhaps nearer to Brentford's offer, but for sure City are likely moving on now and its strange how needed positional signings can seemingly change in a close season...

Just guesswork but as a few have suggested on here...and Paddy Davit also..maybe a new striker is becoming a bigger priority than a CB..is Gibbo, Hanley, Zimbo and Omo enough cover?..maybe the 2nd PL loan position can be used later in the window for the CB slot...issue is the longer you wait and some guys on your targeted list may already have been snapped up. Also regards the striker maybe its dependant on Hugill leaving..and anyway is Rashica not regarded  as a striker?..remember he is not a direct replacement for Buendia's role apparently...quite a few scenarios there and could explain why it feeks like a small pause in activity right now, but im sure at a certain moment  City will spring into action again.

I don’t know about anyone else but I found it interesting that Paddy brought up Boubacar Kouyate in his article today. To be fair it is probably just a throwaway comment but since we haven’t been linked with him since April I wondered if he perhaps knows something on that front, particularly as the Pinkun guys & Michael Bailey have previously mentioned that the French league is one we are actively looking at. 

6 hours ago, Jpootz said:

I don’t know about anyone else but I found it interesting that Paddy brought up Boubacar Kouyate in his article today. To be fair it is probably just a throwaway comment but since we haven’t been linked with him since April I wondered if he perhaps knows something on that front, particularly as the Pinkun guys & Michael Bailey have previously mentioned that the French league is one we are actively looking at. 

The French league is in all sorts of difficulty at the moment with the collapse of their TV deal isn't it? I read on the Athletic I think that all clubs except PSG, Nice, Monaco and Troyes are really struggling and having to flog players to make up for shortfalls. 

12 hours ago, Jpootz said:

.....Boubacar Kouyate ,.......

Please please please.... Not because I have ever watch him play, just only for the classics on Canary Call

Norwich are signing Pierre Lees-Melou from OGC Nice according to some well informed Nice twitter accounts. A private jet from Nice landed in Norwich yesterday.

Lees-Melou is a 28 year old, attack minded midfielder.

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich are signing Pierre Lees-Melou from OGC Nice according to some well informed Nice twitter accounts. A private jet from Nice landed in Norwich yesterday.

If true, we are doing things v much under the radar aren’t we?!  

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Would be a pretty good and solid signing, although I do wonder if this means Billing is off the menu

You got any more proof? Screenshots?

26 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Is he any good?

From the YouTube footage, looks like he likes a shot from distance, is comfortable with both feet and can see a pass. Would add to the midfield numbers, solid if unspectacular.