Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

I see messi is a free agent - might slot in nicely 

And the ridiculous thing is we could sign him, but some people would still moan!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FatCanary said:

Welcome to Greavsy's Utopia Of My Own Crap Head, where he details in no small part that you'd best not ever get something wrong or he'll be down yer gullet quicker than a BK8 sausage.

There is no beauty in being correct, and you are pitiful in your weird obsessions.

Just don't post you views as facts if youre going to get teary when it doesn't come to fruition. 

Im sure mummy will give you an extra cuddle when she tucks you in later..... Make the nasty man go away! 😊 

4 hours ago, FatCanary said:

I'm not sure it's fair to say I'm incorrigible, I've conceded plenty to others in debate on this forum, but I appreciate your manner of thinking all the same! I genuinely don't understand why Greavsy has it in for me, I don't believe this persona they've created (as am I as myself) has the capacity to be pleasant to anybody, however. I know that I do, and am glad of it.

Not sure how pointing out an inaccuracy you posted is having it in for you. 

But if it keeps you happy, and the centre of attention. 

Not sure the likelihood, but on Thursday’s bbc gossip page:

Rangers captain James Tavernier is the subject of interest from Manchester United, Brighton, Norwich and Arsenal. The 29-year-old Englishman signed a contract extension in April, tying him to the Scottish champions until 2024. (90min)

I’ve always thought he was a pretty good player, but I’d only think anything of this if we were to lose Max 

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Not sure how pointing out an inaccuracy you posted is having it in for you. 

But if it keeps you happy, and the centre of attention. 

O Oracle! One so wise and pure of thought, we carry your good name in our hearts. Out! Out you fulsome voyeur of fear and doubt, vain inaccuracy and ineptitude, we beseech thee! For King Greavsy is here in his Grace and Spirit be my soldier the man never makes a Sodding Error!

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

That they’re not but it doesn’t mean that they can’t make a wrong decision. It just seems very strange that a European giant want him and will get him with such a low release clause, he must therefore have something about him even if others on here are so quick to dismiss him. 

As I say, IF he takes his chance and proves to be a real prospect at Porto, then 1mil€ certainly will not represent good business. 

We've probably got a sell on clause in that deal, so if he does the business at first team level then we could receive a tidy sum for a player that cost us nothing.

16 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

We've probably got a sell on clause in that deal, so if he does the business at first team level then we could receive a tidy sum for a player that cost us nothing.

Sounds a fair point, Y&G 👍

9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

And the ridiculous thing is we could sign him, but some people would still moan!

I certainly would, as I don't see wages of over 750k a week as being viable for ANY club (and part of the reason Barca have financial problems), not sure how we'd manage to afford 40mil a year wages in our current structure!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

Telegraph reporting Villa after 1 of 3 players. One being Cantwell. Can’t that muggy club just go away. 

And the Times are reporting that Max is Nuno's top target for Spurs. 

8 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

And the Times are reporting that Max is Nuno's top target for Spurs. 

If that’s the case May give us some leverage on getting Skipp back

1 minute ago, Alfie54 said:

Saw the quote from Daniel Levy yesterday upon Nuno’s arrival, and one of the first things he mentioned was about Nuno being entrusted with bringing through youth into the first team as one of the priorities. Given Skipp falls into a very small category of players at Spurs that are on the cusp of first team football, I think it’s fair to say he won’t be coming back here next season.

22 hours ago, Petriix said:

This all makes sense. I'm just not sure how Cantwell or Dowell would fit in to that system, and I'm really not convinced that Placheta has enough ability on the ball. It would make us much more solid in the defensive areas of the pitch at the expense of having a number 10.

The wide attackers would be relieved of some of their defensive responsibilities, no longer having to double up with the wingbacks as the extra CB and one holding CDM could cover the wide areas. The AMs would of course have to drop into the central areas when we don't have the ball.

I would just worry about our rapid transition play without a number 10. I fear that Pukki would be isolated and the two AMs would struggle to find as much space without the extra body to pull the defenders around. Maybe the extra attacking freedom of the wingbacks would give us more options, I just can't quite picture how it will work in practice.

This idea of 3421 won't need Cantwell and probably not Dowell either unless we are going to keep a 4231 option as a back up formation.

If the rumours of Cantwell to Villa / Leeds/ Leicester are true and with his contract running down and with the background of last seasons early issues with both Cantwell and Buendia as a starting point  one imagines that we already have a replacement lined up - Possibly Armstrong.

If both Cantwell and Buendia were agitating for a move back at the start of last season then the plan for this season will have been made at least a year ago. 

If we don't play 4231 we don't need either of them even though they are both fantastic players. The change in formation,  if it does happen is a neat solution for many reasons not least that Cantwell and Buendia wanted moves, although the defensive solidity and counter attacking dimensions of 3421 make it worthwhile anyway-  Villa however still like to play 4231.

With Grealish rumoured to have already agreed a move to City and with Arsenal seeming unlikely to sell Smith-Rowe  Cantwell is a good option. I could be utterly wrong and just joining up the dots in the wrong way entirely but if Cantwell does go then 3421 is on.

16 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

This idea of 3421 won't need Cantwell and probably not Dowell either unless we are going to keep a 4231 option as a back up formation.

If the rumours of Cantwell to Villa / Leeds/ Leicester are true and with his contract running down and with the background of last seasons early issues with both Cantwell and Buendia as a starting point  one imagines that we already have a replacement lined up - Possibly Armstrong.

If both Cantwell and Buendia were agitating for a move back at the start of last season then the plan for this season will have been made at least a year ago. 

If we don't play 4231 we don't need either of them even though they are both fantastic players. The change in formation,  if it does happen is a neat solution for many reasons not least that Cantwell and Buendia wanted moves, although the defensive solidity and counter attacking dimensions of 3421 make it worthwhile anyway-  Villa however still like to play 4231.

With Grealish rumoured to have already agreed a move to City and with Arsenal seeming unlikely to sell Smith-Rowe  Cantwell is a good option. I could be utterly wrong and just joining up the dots in the wrong way entirely but if Cantwell does go then 3421 is on.

Without Cantwell and Dowell we would barely have a midfield left. All those goals and all that creativity gone. We'd have to make some spectacular signings just to be as good as we were last season. We aren't just going to rip up the team and completely change philosophy.

19 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Without Cantwell and Dowell we would barely have a midfield left. All those goals and all that creativity gone. We'd have to make some spectacular signings just to be as good as we were last season. We aren't just going to rip up the team and completely change philosophy.

Did you miss the Rashica signing, where we replaced Buendia with a (hopefully) similar signing for the fraction of the price?

Webber isn't messing around this time and will have targets prepared. 

Cantwell has 2 years left on his deal and, if he's not going to sign, then now is the time to sell.

41 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

I'm not sure how the 3421 idea has gained so much traction. It certainly hasn't come from Webber and Farke.

Sure, Farke has said that he would have liked to have used 5 at the back more often in the last PL season but he's used 4231 pretty consistently and is clearly his favoured formation. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I could find a negative angle or 2 if it helps

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Did you miss the Rashica signing, where we replaced Buendia with a (hopefully) similar signing for the fraction of the price?

Webber isn't messing around this time and will have targets prepared. 

Cantwell has 2 years left on his deal and, if he's not going to sign, then now is the time to sell.

Did you miss that Skipp, Buendia and Vrancic (all in our top 11 for minutes played) as well as Stiepermann and Tettey have all left the club?

Rashica is (hopefully) a great signing, although unlikely to completely replace Buendia on his own. With Gilmour effectively replacing Skipp, we're still down three central midfielders. Our only other attacking midfield options beyond Cantwell and Dowell are Placheta and Hernandez who both failed to deliver in the Championship last season.

I'd say that Cantwell is absolutely key for us this season. Maybe he would adapt to being one of two AMs but I find it more likely that we'll be mostly sticking with our well drilled 4-2-3-1. But I think we need another AM/striker for competition and cover given that we've let two number 10s go.

16 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Trybull and Stiepermann were on contracts - they weren’t expiring that summer. Trybull had 2 years left on his deal in the summer of 2019 and Marco had a year left on his. 

Norwich did not have to extend their contracts on larger wages, the most financially prudent thing to have done was to have left them on the contracts they all had at the time and see if they could step up before making such a decision. I think Norwich gave out 15 new contracts that summer, it was a big increase in the wage budget. 

Webber wanted to make sure that it those players had great seasons the value was locked in, it was gamble that didn’t pay off in the case of Stiepermann and Trybull. 

I keep coming back to this. We don't actually know the ins and outs of the contracts that were handed out. I have a suspicion that there's more to it than meets the eye. I suspect that they will have been ostensibly generous with a short term increase in basic wages, but mixed in with some carefully constructed clauses about relegation, promotion, appearances and performance.

We may have been really clever to shield ourselves from future liability and the overall benefit of these 'improved' deals could well lie with the club rather than the players. I get the sense with Webber that he's all too happy to reward success but not failure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Did you miss that Skipp, Buendia and Vrancic (all in our top 11 for minutes played) as well as Stiepermann and Tettey have all left the club?

Rashica is (hopefully) a great signing, although unlikely to completely replace Buendia on his own. With Gilmour effectively replacing Skipp, we're still down three central midfielders. Our only other attacking midfield options beyond Cantwell and Dowell are Placheta and Hernandez who both failed to deliver in the Championship last season.

I'd say that Cantwell is absolutely key for us this season. Maybe he would adapt to being one of two AMs but I find it more likely that we'll be mostly sticking with our well drilled 4-2-3-1. But I think we need another AM/striker for competition and cover given that we've let two number 10s go.

Yep, I understand that but we still have money to spend and two months left of the transfer window.

Again, Webber seems determined not to mess up the recruitment this time around so I have faith that he'll deliver... even if he is taking unprecedented risks along the way!

4 hours ago, Alfie54 said:

No chance.

Max and Ollie work well together- Max bombs forward, Skipp covers.

I think we have to move on from Skipp and get someone else in before pre season begins.

2 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

I could find a negative angle or 2 if it helps

Ha ha I have no doubt you could, Fred! 😂

Welcome to Ben and Dimi as permanents to our squad, we already know what you both can do but real happy you are with us as official City players now, the team is strengthened by you guys in defence. Enjoy the new season  in the Prem!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

I'm not sure how the 3421 idea has gained so much traction. It certainly hasn't come from Webber and Farke.

Sure, Farke has said that he would have liked to have used 5 at the back more often in the last PL season but he's used 4231 pretty consistently and is clearly his favoured formation. 

Mores the point why have so many armchair coaches got hung-up on formations? EPL football is far more fluid than that and how we play will largely be driven by the personnel, the opposition and what actually happens in the game. What we know is Farke will play one up front and one in goal, everything else is up for grabs. This seems driven by the Ajer saga and the idea that we might play three CBs, so we don't really yet have the players in the building to do that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

I keep coming back to this. We don't actually know the ins and outs of the contracts that were handed out. I have a suspicion that there's more to it than meets the eye. I suspect that they will have been ostensibly generous with a short term increase in basic wages, but mixed in with some carefully constructed clauses about relegation, promotion, appearances and performance.

We may have been really clever to shield ourselves from future liability and the overall benefit of these 'improved' deals could well lie with the club rather than the players. I get the sense with Webber that he's all too happy to reward success but not failure.

That may be the case but I'm not sure- it is noticeable with Trybull particularly that we've really struggled to move him on. Blackburn reportedly paid only 10% of his wages last season. This is for a proven performer at Championship level at a good age. To me that suggests other teams couldn't come close to matching his wages and we had to settle for a deal like that.

Similarly with Stiepermann- we've had to pay him off as clearly we couldn't get clubs interested enough to take him- and you'd imagine if we were willing to pay him off we'd have happily taken a loan only covering half his wages. So something was clearly putting off teams taking on another proven Championship performer.