Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

4-3-3 would seem more likely.

Something like this ... ??

Krul

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Giannoulis

Rupp, Gilmour, McLean

Rashica, Pukki, Cantwell

I would bet that both Farke and Webber see both Rupp and McLean as very viable PL first choice options? At a minimum, I doubt they'll be viewed as in major need of upgrades relative to CB, W, and maybe CF.

• Like 2

It amazes me that all posters here are incapable of factoring the cost of salary into the financial spectrum. We buy a player for £10m on a four year contract at £25,000 a week. The total cost of this deal is in fact £15m without any possible salary increase in that time. We have a transfer budget, but that does include  all aspects of financial costs. At least I would assume so.

I don't understand the reluctance on some to have a midfield pairing of Skipp and Gilmour. I think they would be a great pairing; if you're good enough you're old enough. There propensity to sit deep will be compensated by allowing the full-backs more freedom to roam forward to help the front four and in games when we want to shut up shop we will be better equipped. The prospect is exhilarating, surprising that some people are concerned at the idea. And even more surprising that some would rather use our second loan on someone to come off the bench.

I would take Gilmour and Skipp tbh !  I thought Skipp was excellent last season and he deserves a chance at the PL. The physical side of it , is a valid arguement , but as was pointed out: if you're good enough age doesn't matter that much and we have some experience in the side.

38 minutes ago, kirku said:

Grant Hanley, Ballon d'Or 2022, but only in a three

If you're playing 3 at the back then you definitely won't be playing two CDMs unless the new tactic is for the wingbacks to hit the channels and start pinging in crosses for our big striker to head home, or just to hoof the ball over the top for the front three to chase. Given the way we beat the press by passing through the midfield, I'd expect one of those CMs to be more box-to-box, but it's still a massive hole without a number 10 so I really hope it's not our main strategy.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

I must have fallen asleep and woken up on the 31st August. How did England do in the Euros?

We lost to Germany. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

I would bet that both Farke and Webber see both Rupp and McLean as very viable PL first choice options? At a minimum, I doubt they'll be viewed as in major need of upgrades relative to CB, W, and maybe CF.

You have to look at the overall evolution of the squad. McLean and Rupp are definitely in the first team squad, probably Stiepermann too (assuming he's recovered) and don't forget Sorensen, but we've lost Tettey, Vrancic and Skipp. We are now very light in central midfield and really need some more options. I also think we need to add more than just Rashica in attack, otherwise we're still worse than the team that finished last season.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Petriix said:

If you're playing 3 at the back then you definitely won't be playing two CDMs unless the new tactic is for the wingbacks to hit the channels and start pinging in crosses for our big striker to head home, or just to hoof the ball over the top for the front three to chase. Given the way we beat the press by passing through the midfield, I'd expect one of those CMs to be more box-to-box, but it's still a massive hole without a number 10 so I really hope it's not our main strategy.

Have you watched much Chelsea since Tuchel arrived?

They play with two CDMs and three CBs and have had incredible success. One of their best results actually featured Gilmour playing alongside Kante in the 3-4-2-1 formation when they beat Man City at the Etihad. In fact, if I remember correctly Gilmour even survived Kante getting subbed off and played the whole game. They certainly don't result in long balls or crosses to a big centre forward, Timo Werner tends to be their go to in this formation.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Chelsea have been playing that system since Tuchel came in

19 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

They play with two CDMs and three CBs and have had incredible success. One of their best results actually featured Gilmour playing alongside Kante in the 3-4-2-1 formation when they beat Man City at the Etihad. In fact, if I remember correctly Gilmour even survived Kante getting subbed off and played the whole game. They certainly don't result in long balls or crosses to a big centre forward, Timo Werner tends to be their go to in this formation.

Beat me to it

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

It's the 29th of June.

We've already made a signing you're "impressed" with.

I'm not following, to be honest.

This.

Fair enough have a pop in two months time but not now, give them a chance for crying out loud. 

1 hour ago, kirku said:

Chelsea have been playing that system since Tuchel came in

1 hour ago, kirku said:

Beat me to it

It's all very well for Chelsea (or Dortmund) given the quality they have throughout their squads. I'm open minded, but I think it's not going to be ideal for us. 

59 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It's all very well for Chelsea (or Dortmund) given the quality they have throughout their squads. I'm open minded, but I think it's not going to be ideal for us. 

Bit of an odd stance given the type of football we've been playing under Farke. 

4 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

We lost to Germany. 

Looks like I slept for two months - and four years?

Apparently we’ve made a bid for Thomas Muller. Daniel Farke has offered him political asylum as his life is in danger if he returns to the Motherland

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I see there is suggestion from SB on twitter that Stieperman is gone.

Makes sense 

18 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I may get shot down for saying this but there is an emerging case that we might be about to abandon 4231 in favour of 3421.

Rashica is the first clue he's not got the defensive DNA that Emi had and is a more out and out attacking player ideal for the 2.

Gilmour is the second clue (he could play in the 6 or 8 in a 4231) but is better in a double pivot of 3421.

The next clue is who we have to beat Burnley play a 442 which mostly trumps a 4231 and Watford and Brentford both play 433 probably the best counter to 433 is 3421.

The next clue is Dortmund and their performance stats relative to their predicted performance stats statistically 3421 gives them a boost. Farke and Webber who are both great students of the game will know all about this and Tuchel is a more recent example.

Next clue if we are not playing 4231 or not playing it much we don't need Steipi as back up number 10 - assuming rumour is a good one.

Next clue Hanley is a better player in a 3.

Ajer is a player who could also play is a 3 and who can also bring the ball out.

Sorensen is back up for either CB or central mid

Placheta is an ideal player for the 2 and may be back up to Todd but because 3421 relies on fast counter attacking he is a more ideal player for 3421 than he is in a 4231.Idah is also a possible back up to Rashica in this formation.

Add to this Giannoulis and Arrons for the wide slots in the 4.

Lets assume also that we will play a lot more without the ball in the premiership it seems obvious to me that we need to offer a counter attacking threat in addition to a more robust defensive set up.

In short we have the players to play this formation.

One final clue. Farke is on record as saying that we need to be brave.

This could mean anything of course but one thing that is brave is changing formation. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Despite some of what is reported, Farke didn't really use a double pivot last season.

Skipp sat back and McLean went box-to-box, a double pivot is where both central midfield players are happy to alternate between attacking and defending. There were signs of it towards the end of last season as Skipp became more confident and would occasional burst forward with the ball, but his passing was generally very conservative. 

It is hard as I haven't seen a huge amount of Gilmour, but from what I have seen and read, he isn't someone who looks to do a huge amount of attacking, or ball carrying. He'll roam around in front of the defence picking up the ball and moving it on, very similar to Jorginho or Kovacic at Chelsea. In the game against England, out of his 43 passes, only 4 were into the final third of the pitch. In the game for Chelsea against Man City he made 66 passes, 5 into the final third. Gilmour is excellent at retaining possession and dictating tempo, but he doesn't appear to be an all action midfielder who'd fit into a double pivot.

I think that double pivot was slowly developing as Skipp grew more confident in his attacking game as you say. I think Skipp and Gilmour would be perfect for us. I understand the reservations on ball progression, but running with it isn't the only way to progress the ball. Both CAN do it when the situation calls for it.

20 hours ago, LaUnionCanary said:

It amazes me that all posters here are incapable of factoring the cost of salary into the financial spectrum. We buy a player for £10m on a four year contract at £25,000 a week. The total cost of this deal is in fact £15m without any possible salary increase in that time. We have a transfer budget, but that does include  all aspects of financial costs. At least I would assume so.

The players we sold and released also had a salary that comes off the books too.

15 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

I think that double pivot was slowly developing as Skipp grew more confident in his attacking game as you say. I think Skipp and Gilmour would be perfect for us. I understand the reservations on ball progression, but running with it isn't the only way to progress the ball. Both CAN do it when the situation calls for it.

That said its probably more likely to be Gilmour and Kenny, which is better balanced I think.

As an aside, I'm sure it's been discussed but if it has I've not seen it, I'm sure there was an article on here stating we aren't likely to be in for any more support for Pukki as we have Idah.

I love the boldness of that. Certainly Adam has the raw physical attributes to succeed, no doubts about his pace or athleticism, but it is interesting after an injury blighted Championship season that they are still fully sticking their eggs in his basket.

I have nothing against that, they've clearly seen something and obviously we employ football coaches above my level of understanding, so I'm excited to find out just why they think Idah is ready to be our backup centre forward in the Premier League.

I'm not sure I've quite seen that myself, but I have liked Idah when I've seen him play.

2 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

As an aside, I'm sure it's been discussed but if it has I've not seen it, I'm sure there was an article on here stating we aren't likely to be in for any more support for Pukki as we have Idah.

I love the boldness of that. Certainly Adam has the raw physical attributes to succeed, no doubts about his pace or athleticism, but it is interesting after an injury blighted Championship season that they are still fully sticking their eggs in his basket.

I have nothing against that, they've clearly seen something and obviously we employ football coaches above my level of understanding, so I'm excited to find out just why they think Idah is ready to be our backup centre forward in the Premier League.

I'm not sure I've quite seen that myself, but I have liked Idah when I've seen him play.

His international performances were a clue in my opinion. Yes, he's not scored, but he has demonstrated a maturity and application in his play for Ireland, often with very little to work with, but he's kept going hard and making a nuisance of himself.

We'll be up against better defences so an ability to keep going and scrapping for titbits is going to be very useful for us.

Idah is only improving with better players, I am pleased he is not going on loan as I think he has had a lot of experience now from joining the ROI squad and been part of the squad last year, with important goals.

His attributes are very impressive and I do feel that as a sub he will have some joy and score in the premier league, he may well have a breakout year and if we build a great group around him that can use his movement, clever link up play then he will be better for it.

I do think we need another striker and Hugill may have some more joy with the fact we have tricky wingers, but personally we need another striker ready to challenge the GOAT there was far too much on his shoulders 2 seasons ago and the last season.

35 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

That said its probably more likely to be Gilmour and Kenny, which is better balanced I think.

Actually think Rupp may be the better partner to Gilmour - quicker off the mark and quicker with the ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

His international performances were a clue in my opinion. Yes, he's not scored, but he has demonstrated a maturity and application in his play for Ireland, often with very little to work with, but he's kept going hard and making a nuisance of himself.

We'll be up against better defences so an ability to keep going and scrapping for titbits is going to be very useful for us.

3 minutes ago, smooth said:

Idah is only improving with better players, I am pleased he is not going on loan as I think he has had a lot of experience now from joining the ROI squad and been part of the squad last year, with important goals.

His attributes are very impressive and I do feel that as a sub he will have some joy and score in the premier league, he may well have a breakout year and if we build a great group around him that can use his movement, clever link up play then he will be better for it.

I do think we need another striker and Hugill may have some more joy with the fact we have tricky wingers, but personally we need another striker ready to challenge the GOAT there was far too much on his shoulders 2 seasons ago and the last season.

To be honest I'd not seen him for Ireland, so that explains where I had my doubts.

Hugill is a neat Plan B option for playing up if we can't get out, but given that Idah's not bad in the air either and will have the pace to stretch teams in wide areas if that's what we need for him, I can't see Jordan getting much game time.

Either way I do believe we have enough, and I'm siding with the Club on this one.

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Actually think Rupp may be the better partner to Gilmour - quicker off the mark and quicker with the ball.

I used to be very Rupp over McLean but the way Kenny has continued to improve, I can't see Lukas displacing him anymore.

Rupp is a little bit too much of what they refer to in Germany as a shuttle player to work as well alongside Gilmour because I think they have similar patterns of distribution- I'm not saying Rupp isn't an option there, rather that I think Kenny's pass selection suits us better, particularly pinging diagonals into wide areas if Rashica is on the run.