Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

3 hours ago, FatCanary said:

That's the wrong way to approach it. Aiming to categorise people suggests you are already forcing the shape of your model.

I'm not sure you got the tone of my post 😉

Personally for me, I *want* to believe Sexy Bennett is a real deal ITK account but me head just won't let me do it.

I've followed for a while and it seems to me a lot of her insider knowledge is stuff that isn't possible to substantiate or plays off of the media beats. I could say my special friend at CR has told me we did indeed bid for Berghuis but Ajax were offering a much better seasonal bonus package, or I could say Axel Tuanzebe has agreed to join us on loan but United are waiting until they sign a replacement. No way to know the truth of either, but with enough current evidence that lights that flicker of potential ITK.

Either way the actual news will out. Nobody knew Rashica was on the way.

Edited by Mason 47

5 hours ago, chicken said:

One would think it would have been in addition to Rashica not instead of. Perhaps suggests squad movement elsewhere?

Just a bit of an odd one. £4m on it's own isn't a lot but a 29 year old who struggled to make an impact playing for Watford in the PL earlier in his career seems a bit of a risky gamble really.

I think Ajax would be the safe option all day long. He's playing in the Dutch league, they can offer Champions League football and he is likely to win trophies with them and has a chance of playing for a good few seasons at that level. In reality, he'd maybe get a couple of seasons in the PL unless he becomes indispensable. Struggle to see it.

I think his level has improved significantly since being at Watford. Norwich were talking to him not long after the season ended. 

4 hours ago, kirku said:

I'm not sure you got the tone of my post 😉

I wasn't saying you disagreed 😛

9 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

No, I don’t, but if you read what I said my son does and hasn’t been allowed to follow - so it’s a closed shop, which isn’t particularly great for others. V much keeping itk itk, if it is legitimate at all.

As I’ve said, it makes little difference to me, we all find out eventually.

I read what you said and you said you haven’t seen anything he has put that is accurate and you cannot even view the account! 

8 hours ago, markdmhoward said:

I think his level has improved significantly since being at Watford. Norwich were talking to him not long after the season ended. 

Sure, it just doesn't seem a very "Webber and Farke" signing. And a bit of a risk with no future sell on. You say he has improved significantly since 2016, he's still at Feyenoord... if it was that significant he would have gone somewhere else already rather than being looked at by a team in a similar position as Watford before.

I stand by what I say, we may well have looked at and spoken to him but there is no way he was a likely target if we were working on and progressing with Rashica. I suspect he would have been a plan B option if true. The two are not remotely in the same place. The only thing I can think is if Rashica brings a bit of pace, they could have seen Berghuis as a step up on Hernandez who could have then been allowed to leave.

Either way, doesn't entirely add up straight away.

33 minutes ago, chicken said:

Sure, it just doesn't seem a very "Webber and Farke" signing. And a bit of a risk with no future sell on. You say he has improved significantly since 2016, he's still at Feyenoord... if it was that significant he would have gone somewhere else already rather than being looked at by a team in a similar position as Watford before.

I stand by what I say, we may well have looked at and spoken to him but there is no way he was a likely target if we were working on and progressing with Rashica. I suspect he would have been a plan B option if true. The two are not remotely in the same place. The only thing I can think is if Rashica brings a bit of pace, they could have seen Berghuis as a step up on Hernandez who could have then been allowed to leave.

Either way, doesn't entirely add up straight away.

At €4m Berghuis will be a bargain for someone. A full Dutch international with an excellent record over the past couple of seasons. For the fee being talked about it doesn’t matter if he only gave Norwich a couple of good seasons with minimal sell-on. 

I suspect he was seen as a player that at that price would be a no-brainer to at least have a discussion with about whether he’d be interested in coming to Norwich. Even before Buendia left, Norwich wanted a wide attacker who can play as a striker - which is Rashica. Now with Buendia gone they are probably still looking for another attacking midfielder.

Berghuis is much more similar to Buendia than Rashica and would have been an excellent replacement.

Norwich don’t just target young players. Rupp, Drmic, Krul, Pukki etc have all been brought in with minimal potential for sell-on but being seen as being able to provide a short-term solution for a good price. 

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

At €4m Berghuis will be a bargain for someone. A full Dutch international with an excellent record over the past couple of seasons. For the fee being talked about it doesn’t matter if he only gave Norwich a couple of good seasons with minimal sell-on. 

I suspect he was seen as a player that at that price would be a no-brainer to at least have a discussion with about whether he’d be interested in coming to Norwich. Even before Buendia left, Norwich wanted a wide attacker who can play as a striker - which is Rashica. Now with Buendia gone they are probably still looking for another attacking midfielder.

is much more similar to Buendia than Rashica and would have been an excellent replacement.

Norwich don’t just target young players. Rupp, Drmic, Krul, Pukki etc have all been brought in with minimal potential for sell-on but being seen as being able to provide a short-term solution for a good price. 

He's done well in a poorer European league. The level isn't great in Holland which is why so many Dutch players move to better leagues around Europe.

As for the others. Pukki - 28 and free. Drmic - 27/28 and free. Krul is a keeper so very different, 30 is a good age for a keeper, still can have 5+ years in the tank, more if they stay on as the back up, he was also free. Rupp was 28/29 and is believed to have been for a pretty nominal fee with him being out of contract in the summer.

Re Rashica - I'm not convinced he is the striker that can play wide that the club have been targeting. He is more of a wide man who has been played up front from time to time. He's clearly the replacement for Buendia too. The club knows it wouldn't get away with selling Buendia and replacing him with a 4mEuro's 29-30 year old Watford premier league flop. As I said before, would make more sense if they were looking at shipping out someone else in the wider positions to make way for him. He's also still not gone anywhere yet... all we really have to go on is that we "moved on".

Like I say, likely to have been a "plan B" IMHO. And we got Rashica and subsequently "moved on" from looking at him. Suggests we feel Rashica was the player to fill that position. 

16 minutes ago, horsefly said:

This seems the most accurate view of the Ajer situation I have come across to date:

https://thecelticstar.com/the-12-5m-needed-from-norwich-city-or-bayer-leverkusen-to-get-celtic-interested-in-selling-kris-ajer/

Thanks, what Ajer says seems entirely reasonable unless you’re a Celtic supporter who is unable to understand why anyone would want to play anywhere else.

Sounds to me like Celtic are just playing hard to get to get more money, and our stance is exactly what you’d expect in a negotiation. They have to hope we don’t find someone else, we have to hope Bauer Leverkusen do.

5 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I read what you said and you said you haven’t seen anything he has put that is accurate and you cannot even view the account! 

I said no one seems to have put this itk’ person’s previously correct information here - which is true - other than a screenshot of 4-5 points about Ajer, which we now know aren’t necessarily correct.  

In short, I’m not in a position to judge info if I can’t see it, but the Ajer stuff doesn’t appear to be correct so I’ll remain sceptical (not that anyone cares, I’m sure).

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, horsefly said:

This seems the most accurate view of the Ajer situation I have come across to date:

https://thecelticstar.com/the-12-5m-needed-from-norwich-city-or-bayer-leverkusen-to-get-celtic-interested-in-selling-kris-ajer/

“I don’t feel I’ve outgrown Celtic. Celtic is a huge club that require you to be at your best all the time. But I want to see how far I can get and for that I have to play in a better league. I think it’s important for my development that I go to a higher level (of league).'

Now that is how you deal with this kind of situation- Someone tell Danjuma..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

42 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Cheers Horsefly (out of likes in appreciation). I’d heard about that apparent arrogant line he made about ‘the team being crap but he was great’ sort of comment, and obviously his personality has since been questioned, but to be fair, he comes across perfectly fine in that interview. It sounds like Newcastle might still be hovering in the background, but certainly not over for us (and Bauer Leverkusen) - think it’ll rumble on but not for too long from our point of view as it’s clear we want bodies in early, whilst Celtic look like they’re happy to drag this one out. 

6 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Cheers Horsefly (out of likes in appreciation). I’d heard about that apparent arrogant line he made about ‘the team being crap but he was great’ sort of comment, and obviously his personality has since been questioned, but to be fair, he comes across perfectly fine in that interview. It sounds like Newcastle might still be hovering in the background, but certainly not over for us (and Bauer Leverkusen) - think it’ll rumble on but not for too long from our point of view as it’s clear we want bodies in early, whilst Celtic look like they’re happy to drag this one out. 

Dont forget Hanleys recent injury and record with injuries, have a feeling that might have sped up our search

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

“I don’t feel I’ve outgrown Celtic. Celtic is a huge club that require you to be at your best all the time. But I want to see how far I can get and for that I have to play in a better league. I think it’s important for my development that I go to a higher level (of league).'

Now that is how you deal with this kind of situation- Someone tell Danjuma..

Perfectly reasonable comments - and for better or worse shows precisely where Scottish football (currently) lies in the ‘pyramid’.  

28 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Perfectly reasonable comments - and for better or worse shows precisely where Scottish football (currently) lies in the ‘pyramid’.  

Indeed, he is correct in what he says. Celtic are, in terms of money and trophies, a big club that do indeed require it's players to be at their very best as they expect to win every match they play.

But at the end of the day when the teams they play in their divison include Ross County, Dundee, Caledonian Thistle.. You get the point.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

13 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Personally for me, I *want* to believe Sexy Bennett is a real deal ITK account but me head just won't let me do it.

I've followed for a while and it seems to me a lot of her insider knowledge is stuff that isn't possible to substantiate or plays off of the media beats. I could say my special friend at CR has told me we did indeed bid for Berghuis but Ajax were offering a much better seasonal bonus package, or I could say Axel Tuanzebe has agreed to join us on loan but United are waiting until they sign a replacement. No way to know the truth of either, but with enough current evidence that lights that flicker of potential ITK.

Either way the actual news will out. Nobody knew Rashica was on the way.

I'm with you on this.

I used to follow him/her as they seemed to have some knowledge but recently not so sure of the ITK level.

Also not sure they are even a fan as comments about Buendia referred to you when they posted but then on others it comes across they are a fan.

As above they had no idea about Rashica and I wonder if Webber gets p'd off with the leaks and is letting stuff out to see what gets leaked for stuff that's not true.

If Gilmour was true it must be really frustrating as he wants to do stuff under the radar all the time and although there was lots of rumours about the possibility SB had stated it was done.

I think the Ajer thing is over unless Celtic change their mind about accepting £10m - the Pink Un has already been briefed that we "have moved on" from Ajer, and that doesn't tend to happen unless it's official. I don't think he's worth anywhere near the £10m we've bid, so I hope we don't increase it.

Re Berghuis, I doubt he was ever really interested in having another go at the PL with another lowly team having failed dismally once. 

I'm still hoping we'll secure Gilmour, but that's now a bit uncertain I think.

The way he works, I suspect that if things get into the public domain too much, Webber chooses to walk away. Hopefully he'll have several more secrets to reveal before the big kick off.

Edited by sgncfc

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The way he works, I suspect that if things get into the public domain too much, Webber chooses to walk away. Hopefully he'll have several more secrets to reveal before the big kick off.

I think our position is far stronger if we can nip in and get things done under the radar - when things become public we run a greater risk of being bumped by the bigger guys, or at least it’s harder to pull things off. The pinkun chaps were saying this yesterday in their ‘Transfer Chat’. 

For instance, Ajer might have been a goer but with Bundesliga sides apparently in the mix that’s less likely to happen; similarly with Gilmour it might be all fully sorted but there’s been doubt thrown in as it got out (helped by him playing well in Scotland’s 0-0 ‘win’ v England). 

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Think the bigger problem with Gilmour is the Covid test.

It’s allowed doubts to creep in (at least with us supporters) but if it was all done and dusted it presumably still is.  Presumably he’ll be all clear by Mon/Tues (+10 days, I think).

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s allowed doubts to creep in (at least with us supporters) but if it was all done and dusted it presumably still is.  Presumably he’ll be all clear by Mon/Tues (+10 days, I think).

Tuesday, I think - his positive test was last Saturday, if I recall correctly.

3 hours ago, chicken said:

He's done well in a poorer European league. The level isn't great in Holland which is why so many Dutch players move to better leagues around Europe.

As for the others. Pukki - 28 and free. Drmic - 27/28 and free. Krul is a keeper so very different, 30 is a good age for a keeper, still can have 5+ years in the tank, more if they stay on as the back up, he was also free. Rupp was 28/29 and is believed to have been for a pretty nominal fee with him being out of contract in the summer.

Re Rashica - I'm not convinced he is the striker that can play wide that the club have been targeting. He is more of a wide man who has been played up front from time to time. He's clearly the replacement for Buendia too. The club knows it wouldn't get away with selling Buendia and replacing him with a 4mEuro's 29-30 year old Watford premier league flop. As I said before, would make more sense if they were looking at shipping out someone else in the wider positions to make way for him. He's also still not gone anywhere yet... all we really have to go on is that we "moved on".

Like I say, likely to have been a "plan B" IMHO. And we got Rashica and subsequently "moved on" from looking at him. Suggests we feel Rashica was the player to fill that position. 

What makes you think they wouldn't have wanted both to come (Berghuis and Rashica)?

He is likely going to Ajax. I think if he had decided to come here they would have signed him. So it was his call.

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

His value will decrease considerably as we get nearer to deadline day.

Ajer will be able to sign a pre-contract agreement with another club outside of Scotland in January, so they will be desperate to get a fee for him. It just depends on whether other clubs are willing to wait a couple of months before Celtic agree to a lower fee. A bigger club may well just stump up the extra cash.

Webber seems to prefer to get everyone in before pre-season, so I guess that explains why they're 'moving on to other targets but not giving up on him completely'.

Pink’un are now also reporting Rangers are in for Gilmour too. Have a horrible feeling that the lure of a season back home near his parents and friends playing for the club he loves under Steven Gerrard might just be a bigger draw than a season in Norfolk, but we’ll see.

8 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Pink’un are now also reporting Rangers are in for Gilmour too. Have a horrible feeling that the lure of a season back home near his parents and friends playing for the club he loves under Steven Gerrard might just be a bigger draw than a season in Norfolk, but we’ll see.

If he is career minded, he will opt for us and playing in the highest quality league possible.  However you look at the SPL, the standard of football is way lower.  If he is not career minded he will opt for the SPL.

I’m not sure Chelsea will want him playing in the Scottish league, far more beneficial to gain experience in England. At Norwich he will be able to do that. Fingers crossed he’s coming to us.

2 hours ago, markdmhoward said:

What makes you think they wouldn't have wanted both to come (Berghuis and Rashica)?

He is likely going to Ajax. I think if he had decided to come here they would have signed him. So it was his call.

All the reports say that our interest in him cooled, not the other way around. That happened almost straight after we signed Rashica. As I asked before, which hasn't been answered, who would go to make space for him?

In those positions we have Rashica, Cantwell, Dowell, Hernandez, Placheta and Martin. As we play a 4-2-3-1 I suppose we also need to consider that both Rupp and McLean have been used in the No.10 role as well. I have left out Sinani as the suggestion is another loan for him this season.

Would we be keeping all of those players AND adding Berghuis AND still be claiming at looking for a striker that can also play wide?

38 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If he is career minded, he will opt for us and playing in the highest quality league possible.  However you look at the SPL, the standard of football is way lower.  If he is not career minded he will opt for the SPL.

Rangers will be playing in the champions league.