Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I love Max, he is fantastic. But for where Norwich are right now £25m would be a massive boost in achieving the short term goal of remaining in the Premier League. Max's biggest asset is his attacking ability, he is a great dribbler and fantastic at attacking the opposition box. He isn't a bad defender by any means, but most of his value is in his ability to attack and his potential. In 2021/22 do Norwich need a player who is full of potential and attacking prowess? It certainly isn't the biggest priority. 

Could Norwich bring in a new right back, who while not as good as Max overall, may be able to be a better defensive player and have money remaining to reinvest in improving the whole squad? Most certainly yes.

While it is important to look to the long-term, sometimes you have to focus on the here and now. For Norwich that is building a squad that can survive next season. There is also the calculated risk that if Norwich don't sell now, and do get relegated, you are probably going to see £10m-ish slashed off his price.

So if you gave me the option of £25m+ to reinvest in the squad or Max Aarons - I'd take the money and run - despite how much I love Max as a player.

Agree and, just to add to this, we still have a small transfer budget compared to the rest of the PL, even after selling Buendia. Selling Max would push that budget more in line with our rivals.

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

While it is important to look to the long-term, sometimes you have to focus on the here and now. For Norwich that is building a squad that can survive next season. There is also the calculated risk that if Norwich don't sell now, and do get relegated, you are probably going to see £10m-ish slashed off his price.

It's the old glass half empty approach.  What is it......that we might get relegated and his value go down, or that we do well and his value goes up.   No surprise I would think the latter, but imo we are better placed to stay up with him rather than re-invest in two or three players who may or may not get in tune with the way we play straight away.  £25 million would be useful, of course, it would buy two or even three lesser players, but defensively we were greatly improved last season and Max is an important part of that, even though as you say his strength may be more in attacking.

I really hope we go into next season with the same attitude we have for the last four seasons under Farke - to play great football, not just become another dour survival mode style club.  If we are to do well in the PL it will be because we play great football, not because we spend the first season there just trying to survive.  Farke is always encouraging the players to be brave, that is what I want to see too. Surely a winning mentality is better than a survival mentality?  

Selling Max is key to getting the targets we want. At the moment we have virtually zero cover at DM with Sorensen barely having started in that position. Come to think of it we have potentially zero midfield.

It's really encouraging that it sounds as if Webber is trying to push the boat out.

Exciting times.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

It's the old glass half empty approach.  What is it......that we might get relegated and his value go down, or that we do well and his value goes up.   No surprise I would think the latter, but imo we are better placed to stay up with him rather than re-invest in two or three players who may or may not get in tune with the way we play straight away.  £25 million would be useful, of course, it would buy two or even three lesser players, but defensively we were greatly improved last season and Max is an important part of that, even though as you say his strength may be more in attacking.

I really hope we go into next season with the same attitude we have for the last four seasons under Farke - to play great football, not just become another dour survival mode style club.  If we are to do well in the PL it will be because we play great football, not because we spend the first season there just trying to survive.  Farke is always encouraging the players to be brave, that is what I want to see too. Surely a winning mentality is better than a survival mentality?  

The potential loss of value isn't the biggest consideration, but it is part of my overall thinking and certainly a consideration that needs to be factored in.

There might need to be a short term nudge in style to secure survival, a little bit of pragmatism would be welcome. Even if Farke kept exactly the same style, the fact Norwich will be playing against far better teams than last season means that they will need to defend a hell of a lot more.

When I say a more 'defensive' player, I don't mean someone with no attacking abilities at all, but someone who more suits the reality of Norwich's situation. Norwich's biggest achievement in the last Prem campaign was the win against Man City, that came off the back of Farke changing the normal attacking, possession driven system to a low block and swift counters. It was still a thrilling game and certainly not dour - but a nudge in style that delivered results. Bryam was right back that day and his greater defensive abilities were particularly evident.

Ultimately, most of Aaron's value is wrapped up in his potential - Norwich need to balance having players with potential with players who are delivering immediately next season - something Webber has alluded recently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I love Max, he is fantastic. But for where Norwich are right now £25m would be a massive boost in achieving the short term goal of remaining in the Premier League. Max's biggest asset is his attacking ability, he is a great dribbler and fantastic at attacking the opposition box. He isn't a bad defender by any means, but most of his value is in his ability to attack and his potential. In 2021/22 do Norwich need a player who is full of potential and attacking prowess? It certainly isn't the biggest priority. 

Could Norwich bring in a new right back, who while not as good as Max overall, may be able to be a better defensive player and have money remaining to reinvest in improving the whole squad? Most certainly yes.

So if you gave me the option of £25m+ to reinvest in the squad or Max Aarons - I'd take the money and run - despite how much I love Max as a player.

Agree with this to an extent. I think it honestly depends on what the clubs goals are. Is the goal to stay up - or is the goal to retain as much flexibility as possible if you go down? It's tough to know. 

I happen to believe Emi was sold because 1) the fee was too good to pass up but 2) he didn't perform well in the Premier League in 19-20. 

Aarons could be a similar situation. He is a good attacking wing back - but he is also small for a Premier League defender. The club may feel a cheaper, more physical defender makes more sense this season. 

I'm of two minds on all of this - we're giving up two of our best attacking players and only scored 26 goals in the PL the last time up. 10 off the pace of the next closest team. But at the same time, we gave up 8 more goals than the next closest team as well. 

34 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The potential loss of value isn't the biggest consideration, but it is part of my overall thinking and certainly a consideration that needs to be factored in.

There might need to be a short term nudge in style to secure survival, a little bit of pragmatism would be welcome. Even if Farke kept exactly the same style, the fact Norwich will be playing against far better teams than last season means that they will need to defend a hell of a lot more.

When I say a more 'defensive' player, I don't mean someone with no attacking abilities at all, but someone who more suits the reality of Norwich's situation. Norwich's biggest achievement in the last Prem campaign was the win against Man City, that came off the back of Farke changing the normal attacking, possession driven system to a low block and swift counters. It was still a thrilling game and certainly not dour - but a nudge in style that delivered results. Bryam was right back that day and his greater defensive abilities were particularly evident.

Ultimately, most of Aaron's value is wrapped up in his potential - Norwich need to balance having players with potential with players who are delivering immediately next season - something Webber has alluded recently.

this is why I'd like us to go to wing backs if Max stays and use his attacking attributes more. Put more ****houses in the side at its core at the back and in the middle and then Max and Giannoulis are freed to bomb on. None of our wingers are up to much anyway so Todd/Dowell can create from more central areas and use the overlap more

According to the Pink Un boys Flynn Clarke is done, but the club sensibly don't want to make him the first official signing because he might get the Soto treatment and get extremely over hyped as a first team option when he's an under 23 signing

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

According to the Pink Un boys Flynn Clarke is done, but the club sensibly don't want to make him the first official signing because he might get the Soto treatment and get extremely over hyped as a first team option when he's an under 23 signing

They also seemed to think it's a given that Aarons is gone. 

35 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I mean, he is 17. Wake me up when we sign first team regulars

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean, he is 17. Wake me up when we sign first team regulars

These are just conveyor belt signings. Most will be nowhere near the first team unless we become an established Championship team.

The Sun article this comes from is a bit vague at best. Boro are "mulling over" offering the job to him, apparently? 

Lots of people responding to that as if everyone at the club is fleeing for their lives 😂. Think we're a bit away from "rats in sinking ship" territory.

I do agree though, losing Scott would be a blow. He's clearly good at the job and clearly being moulded as Webber's successor. 

9 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

It makes sense and it might also explain why he didn't feature much for the u23s.

Sounds as if our first new signing is likely to be done tomorrow...

Edited by TheGoogler

2 hours ago, TheGoogler said:

Sounds as if our first new signing is likely to be done tomorrow...

Pink’Un boys have been saying it’s a done deal that will be announced sometime next week for a while now. Just been waiting for Angus to finish his holiday.  Doesn’t seem there was ever anything in the Leeds ‘hijack’ rumour. 

On 17/06/2021 at 20:46, norfolkngood said:

This is just Media talk !!

i have Heard from my Man ( unnamed for many years with some great info in the  past that i have shared on here  )

Everything is going really well on the Transfer front incoming all Norwich targets have been idenified also we have even agreed terms with some players 

on the out going front there is one downside another one of our star players is leaving ,

Buying players is like buying a houses sometimes you are in a chain , someone buys x that club wants our player so we need a replacement 

I'm obviously not going o ask you to confirm or deny anything, just my conjecture here, but I think it's interesting that you said star players and not one of our youngsters. 

With how well Hanley is doing at the Euro's infront of every scout in the world, the fact we're obviously searching for a new CB and the fact he's probably now at his peak value I can't help but wonder if it's Hanley that's leaving and not Aarons or Cantwell.....

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'm obviously not going o ask you to confirm or deny anything, just my conjecture here, but I think it's interesting that you said star players and not one of our youngsters. 

Since Emi's gone, they're one and the same thing, Pukki aside.

Watching Italy-Wales now and I'd take both of Ethan Ampadu and Neco Williams on a loan or permanent right now if offered. Not that we can't do better, mind, but we could do a lot worse. Both have been linked to us and have a bit about them.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I might have missed it, but who was suggesting Glen Kamara? Personally think he's a decent player, but probably upper championship level right now 

1 hour ago, TheGoogler said:

I might have missed it, but who was suggesting Glen Kamara? Personally think he's a decent player, but probably upper championship level right now 

not even certain I know who he is

does he play non league football up north ?

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Who wanted Glen Kamara??? Watford haven't signed anyone I'm bothered about yet 🤷‍♂️

He’s not a bad player but not one that I’ve seen mentioned anywhere up to now...

Edited by Branston Pickle

Just stuck 'Glen Kamara' into the search bar and there is only one mention of him from this year before Cambridge mentioned him on here.

So he's talking ****e.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Just stuck 'Glen Kamara' into the search bar and there is only one mention of him from this year before Cambridge mentioned him on here.

So he's talking ****e.

How dare you point out the obvious

Update on Ajer from the Athletic:

"Premier League new boys Norwich City and Germany’s Bayer Leverkusen have overtaken Newcastle United as the clubs currently most likely to prise Ajer out of Glasgow."

You'd have to imagine that Leverkusen are favourites considering they qualified for the Europa League but maybe they only want him as a backup.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Update on Ajer from the Athletic:

"Premier League new boys Norwich City and Germany’s Bayer Leverkusen have overtaken Newcastle United as the clubs currently most likely to prise Ajer out of Glasgow."

You'd have to imagine that Leverkusen are favourites considering they qualified for the Europa League but maybe they only want him as a backup.

Thing is though, he'd surely be coming in as backup for Gibson and Hanley at Norwich?

We'd sell that to him as one of three centre backs battling for a starting place, but I doubt that is any more desirable than what Leverkusen are offering.

Right now though, we might actually have the financial clout to do the deal before Leverkusen can get in- I can't imagine with Bundesliga wage structures they'd be willing to pay him any more than we would (40k a week, I'm guessing?)

If Ajer is coming here I can definitely see 5 at the back being considered.

Hanley was excellent in the middle of a back 5 for Scotland the other night and it would free Aarons and Dimi up a bit

3 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

Thing is though, he'd surely be coming in as backup for Gibson and Hanley at Norwich?

We'd sell that to him as one of three centre backs battling for a starting place, but I doubt that is any more desirable than what Leverkusen are offering.

Right now though, we might actually have the financial clout to do the deal before Leverkusen can get in- I can't imagine with Bundesliga wage structures they'd be willing to pay him any more than we would (40k a week, I'm guessing?)

Top earner on over £80k a week and most of the rest on over £50k a week. Maybe he wants a crack in the Premier league though.