Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

6 hours ago, The Bunny said:

The assertion I was responding to was literally that he was a “potential Buendia replacement”.

All this talk of grains and pulses, I read that as 'Polenta Buendia replacement'.

24 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

All this talk of grains and pulses, I read that as 'Polenta Buendia replacement'.

My point still applies, I think…

10 hours ago, treacletown07 said:

What about Linvoy Primus?

That’s a name from the past I’d forgotten about, remember thinking his name sounded like a startrek character.

• Like 1

Not so much a transfer rumour, but our lead domestic and European scout has left to join Crystal Palace. Wonder how much this will impact the players we are/were targeting 

11 minutes ago, Legend Iwan said:

Not so much a transfer rumour, but our lead domestic and European scout has left to join Crystal Palace. Wonder how much this will impact the players we are/were targeting 

Shouldn't impact targets at all, but a shame Chris Jones has left as he was highly regarded by many in the industry - he was with Webber and Kieran Scott at Wolves previously.

He wasn't the only 'lead' scout and hopefully someone new will be in soon. 

Guess it’s not the sort of industry you can have non compete clauses in the contracts lol. Bad timing and I guess that means Crystal Palace now aware of previously identified summer targets?, not sure how in the loop all scouts would be kept

Edited by Son Ova Gunn

18 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Any idea why he left?

Palace I think have a number of players either out of or soon to be out of contract. Perhaps they are recruiting in the scouting dept and Jones looked to progress.

With the dust from Emi's move to Villa starting to settle and Euro 2020 started this is one of those periods when all of a sudden rumours just dry up..it feels kind of like  a calm before the storm type time. Nothing much happening on the surface...but im sure behind the scenes Webber and Co. are working full tilt at the inevitable ins  and outs and at some point in the next few weeks things will change drastically.

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Palace I think have a number of players either out of or soon to be out of contract. Perhaps they are recruiting in the scouting dept and Jones looked to progress.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if we end up in a relegation scrap with Palace next season way they are going

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Palace will be targeting a lot of the same players now then. 

Not necessarily -- individual scouts will not know all the targets that a club is pursuing. Clubs do tend to build some 'Chinese Walls' around scouts so that all of a club's strategy cannot be leaked should one member leave. Windows are planned 6 months to a year in advance - a scout switching clubs in one window isn't likely to mean a massive change in direction in a recruitment plan.

Chris Jones, although highly regarded is a scout - he is not a Head of Recruitment or Sporting Director - these are the people who build the strategies and make the deals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Still not a whisper from the club about first  team signings , have they all gone on holiday to just asleep at the wheel? 

5 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Still not a whisper from the club about first  team signings , have they all gone on holiday to just asleep at the wheel? 

Both, they are sleeping at the wheel, while on holiday. 

• Haha 1

Not a rumour just a pontification what about the CB signed by Liverpool from Preston during injury crisis in Jan.  Cost £2m but no appearances but must have something about him for Klopp to fancy him.  Surely will be available as CB's return from injury.

Would like to see one of these players fill the Buendia hole.... Ryan Kent from Rangers, very good stats last season. Wages shouldn't be a problem, good age and would have a good sell on value. Would fit our player criteria. The other is another Argentinian, Ezequiel Barco who plays for Atlanta, he has a great understanding with Martinez who plays upfront. Maybe he could strike up that understanding with Pukki. Also at a good age with the potential to improve and increase in value.

Thoughts?

Edited by HB1989

1 hour ago, HB1989 said:

Would like to see one of these players fill the Buendia hole.... Ryan Kent from Rangers, very good stats last season. Wages shouldn't be a problem, good age and would have a good sell on value. Would fit our player criteria. The other is another Argentinian, Ezequiel Barco who plays for Atlanta, he has a great understanding with Martinez who plays upfront. Maybe he could strike up that understanding with Pukki. Also at a good age with the potential to improve and increase in value.

Thoughts?

Two great shouts, and if either were to end up here I think we would be the better for them.

My feeling is, though, that both would be reluctant to leave their current clubs for a relegation fight in the Premier League. Kent will feature in the Champions League this coming year for Rangers and Barco remains one of the MLS top hot talents (I've even heard of him, which says something given my knowledge of MLS). 

It'll be really fascinating to see who Norwich bring in to replace Buendia though. 

17 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Palace will be targeting a lot of the same players now then. 

Every PL club and around 6/7 Championship clubs scout heavily across Europe (and now SA). With data, plenty of Analysts and hard working scouts, no players are a secret, it’s just the sales pitch, money that your club offers and if they are the right fit for the club. 

Basically, Palace will have seen all of our targets, probably competing for them aswell like 5/6 other PL clubs. What we have is a modern club set up, a young manager that believes in and develops young players and we try to play attractive football. Which, despite the pessimism from our fans is actually very attractive to potential signings over other PL clubs. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YellowSubmarine said:

Every PL club and around 6/7 Championship clubs scout heavily across Europe (and now SA). With data, plenty of Analysts and hard working scouts, no players are a secret, it’s just the sales pitch, money that your club offers and if they are the right fit for the club. 

Basically, Palace will have seen all of our targets, probably competing for them aswell like 5/6 other PL clubs. What we have is a modern club set up, a young manager that believes in and develops young players and we try to play attractive football. Which, despite the pessimism from our fans is actually very attractive to potential signings over other PL clubs. 

Be interesting to see if what you are saying is true

21 hours ago, pete said:

Not a rumour just a pontification what about the CB signed by Liverpool from Preston during injury crisis in Jan.  Cost £2m but no appearances but must have something about him for Klopp to fancy him.  Surely will be available as CB's return from injury.

I don't think Klopp has much say in transfers at Liverpool and the fact Davies hasn't managed to play a game over 2 young CB's doesn't reflect brilliantly on him.