Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah that is what I wonder too- more solid in the middle that way. I'd still want competition/improvement on Dowell though.

Shore up the middle of the park and get two full-backs flying at pace, and I think you'll see Dowell will have that bit more space. The thing he's got beyond everyone else is the ability to hit a first-time snap shot from outside the box. Cantwell has potential from range as he showed against Cardiff, and so can Stiepermann if it's on his left, but Dowell's definitely our most dangerous there.

A really negative view of Dowell is that he is slow and lightweight. Personally I think he will be outmuscled fairly easily, and at worst clattered.

We seem to be looking for ways of accomodating the existing squad minus Emi.

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

A really negative view of Dowell is that he is slow and lightweight. Personally I think he will be outmuscled fairly easily, and at worst clattered.

That’s what I’m reading on here, I hope we get in a far better option to play alongside Cantwell, a very solid DM, an alternative option for Pukki to share the load and I like TGS formation.

I’m happy to offload Steipermann, he didn’t really play much last year and I hope we don’t rely on him this year, Hernandez needs to up his game again and Placheta must show more, he’s got bags of pace and potential.

Edited by Indy

13 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If we are relying on Dowell to replace Buendia we are totally f.....

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I don't understand the negativity around Dowell - don't think anyone looked better than him at the end of the season once he got a few games under his belt. Not sure where the perception he is weak and slow comes from as he is no slower or weaker than Cantwell!

I suspect Dowell was signed last season as a potential replacement for Buendia, so if that happens a season later, after Dowell has had probably his best season of his career then it wouldn't be a huge shock surely. Remember, Dowell was very highly rated by Everton and won the U20s World Cup with England - he's a good player with a good pedigree.

Norwich were reportedly looking for a new wide attacker before Emi was sold, so it is pretty clear new players in the attacking 3 will be brought in. I'm just not sure it will be player like Buendia, who Dowell and Cantwell both have similar skill sets. A winger and a wide forward could be the players on the list, or there might be a 10 who is more like Stiepermann, who is big and can hold the ball up. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Indy said:

Both look better on the wings cutting in, can’t say either are natural number 10’s, as Beth highlights Dowell on the right and Cantwell naturally left both drifting in, supporting Pukki will be key.

So if we don’t replace Buendia then to me we need a natural number 10 to support Pukki. Steipermann or Hernandez  our options don’t fill me with conference.

We have the money, two key areas, good DM and a creative midfielder/ winger to support Pukki for me.

It's not that I need someone to tell me what Dowell and Cantwell can do, it is more that I think we would be a better Prem outfit with faster wide forwards while repurposing/moulding Dowell and Cantwell who are athletic but more static into bona fide 10s, they can still drift and any coach worth his salt will tell you they still have the skill set to be 'proper' 10s, leaving the wide areas for opportunistic signings with solid physical profiles.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think he'll be fine in the Prem, full of talent and showed at the end of the season he is an excellent player - for those last 10 games or so his creative numbers for expected assists, progressive passes etc where as good as Emi's. He certainly didn't look any slower than Emi or Todd - neither of whom are blessed with pace.

I think Dowell will move onto the right side and that will make space for a new number 10, or Cantwell will then become the 10 and a new left sided player will be brought in. Farke isn't wedded to the idea of basically playing three 10s behind Pukki - he did that as he had Emi, Cantwell and Dowell available and wanted to get them all into the first team. Pukki was originally signed to play on the right hand side and operate more like a wide forward. The pervious promotion Hernandez played most of the games coming in from the left. While Farke doesn't rotate, he is quite open to different tactics to suit the players he has.

I have no doubt new first teamers will be brought in with the Emi money - but not sure we will see an 'Emi' type player as Cantwell and Dowell can already do that job.

Agree with your sentiment. Not so much about Dowell or Cantwell doing the job of Emi - that I am skeptical of.

But I think the club is looking for a different type of player to survive in the PL. More physicality and top level experience. 

4 minutes ago, 22jtp said:

Agree with your sentiment. Not so much about Dowell or Cantwell doing the job of Emi - that I am skeptical of.

But I think the club is looking for a different type of player to survive in the PL. More physicality and top level experience. 

As ever Beth is certainly correct, maybe I’m being a tad harsh on Dowell he’s better than I’ve said to be honest, I like Sorensen and hop he can push himself into the team this year too.

We don’t know who the targets are, all the players we’ve been linked to are just idle press speculation, the one real signing none of us were expecting, but it’s a corker in Gunn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

As ever Beth is certainly correct, maybe I’m being a tad harsh on Dowell he’s better than I’ve said to be honest, I like Sorensen and hop he can push himself into the team this year too.

We don’t know who the targets are, all the players we’ve been linked to are just idle press speculation, the one real signing none of us were expecting, but it’s a corker in Gunn.

I, too, believe in Dowell. I like him a lot. Coming through the Everton system he was regularly a better player than someone like Calvert Lewin. 

My opinion is most of Dowell's issue is physicality. He doesn't have top speed (in comparison to DCL) so he has to be more technical and fluid. Tough to do in the Championship and especially in the Premier League when you are on the skinnier side.

I think he has the talent - just needs to grow into his body. 

1 hour ago, FatCanary said:

I think Cantwell and Dowell is enough 10s, to be honest

But if Cantwell is on the left and Dowell is on the right (as believed by Bethnal), that's no number 10s at all. 

I think we need to sign a dedicated number 10 who can pitch in defensively, and we certainly need competition for that right side of midfield with no Buendia. Dowell and Placheta as our right sided options or Dowell and Hernandez are a good championship pairing hard to imagine in the prem. 

Would be a bit of a joke to sell Buendia and not sign anyone who can even play the same position, let alone trying to replace his level of quality!

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

But if Cantwell is on the left and Dowell is on the right (as believed by Bethnal), that's no number 10s at all. 

I think we need to sign a dedicated number 10 who can pitch in defensively, and we certainly need competition for that right side of midfield with no Buendia. Dowell and Placheta as our right sided options or Dowell and Hernandez are a good championship pairing hard to imagine in the prem. 

Would be a bit of a joke to sell Buendia and not sign anyone who can even play the same position, let alone trying to replace his level of quality!

Yes but if we then play McLean, Sorensen and another new DM signing, it allows McClean to push forwards like a box to box midfielder without the need for a true numbers ten, the Christmas Tree formation I believe……

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

No.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes but if we then play McLean, Sorensen and another new DM signing, it allows McClean to push forwards like a box to box midfielder without the need for a true numbers ten, the Christmas Tree formation I believe……

We could, or even Rupp as the 10 like we saw last year, but we need to markedly improve the team, pushing Dowell out to the right and then McLean or Rupp as the 10 just feels like a massive, massive backwards step from having Buendia in and not having this domino effect through the midfield. Even factoring this new DM signing in, such a player would only a Skipp replacement and we'll do well to find another player as good as him for next season. 

That's the kind of compromise I'd expect us to have to live with in the championship, but not in the prem. 

• Like 1

He's got no pace, he's going to get bullied off the ball, he just isn't up to the Premier League physicality at all, that Cantwell.

56 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich were reportedly looking for a new wide attacker before Emi was sold, so it is pretty clear new players in the attacking 3 will be brought in. I'm just not sure it will be player like Buendia, who Dowell and Cantwell both have similar skill sets.

That's a relief to hear - can scrap my previous posts my mistake

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

Latest Buendia replacement rumour courtesy of the Sun, Noberto Briasco Argentinian born winger but representing Armenia. £3.2m but never played European football let alone English football, surely if we do sign it’s to be a squad player ! 

Just now, Tommo said:

Latest Buendia replacement rumour courtesy of the Sun, Noberto Briasco Argentinian born winger but representing Armenia. £3.2m but never played European football let alone English football, surely if we do sign it’s to be a squad player ! 

Connor Southwell killed that one a couple of days ago, pal.

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Thought He'd be off to Milan this summer tbh.

I'd rather have Giannoulis.

'I'd rather have Giannoulis'

As would I, but getting a player who's played over 200 matches in the Prem and 30 matches for England for free would not be a bad transfer to put it lightly, more so given we need players who know the divison.

Then again I guess, once again, that dreaded word comes into player

..... Wages

54 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

As would I, but getting a player who's played over 200 matches in the Prem and 30 matches for England for free would not be a bad transfer to put it lightly, more so given we need players who know the divison.

..... Wages

All well and good wanting him. He’s hardly played in two years and wouldn’t get in the first 11.

Think about Ashley Cole at Derby or Micah Richards at Villa or Lescott at Villa. 

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

..... Wages

30 year old, whos played about 20 games in 2 years, probably wanting around 80k per week.

Yeah what a signing.

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Prem experenced, proven player leaving on a free transfer?

Annnnd he's off to Watford

You're either fishing or the heat has got to you.

Rose on his day is a very decent full back. Newcastle has seen the most of him in recent years and haven't gone for him. He doesn't fit the bill for the sort of player Webber or Farke want. He's 31 in less than a month and would be a very expensive back up to Giannoulis.

As much as he could be a decent player - I don't think for even a split second that he is as good a signing as you are suggesting.

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Prem experenced, proven player leaving on a free transfer?

Annnnd he's off to Watford

They're welcome to him, and his **** poor attitude. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Michael Bailey's latest article on the Athletic suggest Brandon Williams on loan is one deal the club are pursuing with "encouraging signs" it'll be able to be done.

That surely has to mean Aarons is off? I can't see Man U loaning him out to play backup.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

That surely has to mean Aarons is off? I can't see Man U loaning him out to play backup.

It'll be loaning him out to try and increase his value. No way is he getting past Wan-Bissaka. 

Watford are interesting. 

They've been very busy in the window so far. Signed ... Five? Fletcher, lad from Grimsby, Rob Elliot, Louza, lad from Rochdale. 

According to Wikipedia, they have a squad of 35 with those signings. 4 further out on loan. Close to signings of Ashley Young and now Danny Rose.

That's a squad of 41 if all that comes to pass.

Surely there's going to have to be a massive cull of players there to make that work? 

Edited by Terminally Yellow