Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

27 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Bailey said he thought the budget was about £30m (after Gibson and Dimi) before Emi was sold. Not sure how much of this is him being tipped off or how much is pure guesswork - Webber has said its a big budget (for Norwich) which £30m certainly would have been.

No idea how much of the Emi money will be reinvested - you'd expect most of it, but then it could be earmarked for additional facilities improvements and giving other players new contracts. We won't see Norwich spend money just for the sake of it though.

Yeah that was the figure I heard a few weeks ago, but then on a recent pinkun podcast Connor was saying is was only 15 million (pre-emi sale). Surely it must have been closer to Bailey’s figure, because I don’t think Webber could be talking about the improved transfer approach to last time when 10-15 was roughly what we spent in loan fees etc.

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I suspect the rough assumption was that Aarons would go first, but so many deals are consequential, dependent on other deals. Whereas it seems Villa wanted Buendia either way - to play with Grealish or replace him. Hence the rock-solid offer as opposed to expressions of interest.

As to how much we now have to spend, my guess is more than £30m (before any Aarons sale), and two factors need to be borne in mind. Covid is certainly reducing fees, and some of our shopping will be done overseas, in cheaper markets. A figure of €10m has been quoted for Bornauw, who is a full Belgium international playing in the Bundesliga, for example.

PS. BF makes a similar point about Aarons.

Just to expand on this, I have been dubious about what crudely one can call the EDP figure of £15m, after Giannoulis and Gibson, and before any sales, because it does come only to £30m, and we spent a bit more than £20m in the van Wolfswinkel summer of 2013, with Garrido, Redmond, Olsson, Fer and Hooper also coming in. There is covid now, but transfer fees have gone up by significantly more than the amount by which covid might reduce them. I think the amount will be closer to the Bailey figure.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1

A Bird in the band is worth two in the bush. This is in relation to Emis transfer and fee.....nothing to do with our new sponsors, just to be clear,like.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

A Bird in the band is worth two in the bush. This is in relation to Emis transfer and fee.....nothing to do with our new sponsors, just to be clear,like.

i think Freezer going for 'How can City fill their Buendia shaped hole?' was bad enough

8 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

i think Freezer going for 'How can City fill their Buendia shaped hole?' was bad enough

I'd like to know what shape an Emi shaped hole is , after all he's Buendia than most .

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I'd like to know what shape an Emi shaped hole is , after all he's Buendia than most .

You'll have to River Plate it out

i hate myself

Edited by FatCanary
i am disgusting

Norwich interested in replacing Buendia with another Argentinian according to reports in Argentina. Pedro De La Vega is regarded as one of the better young players in Argentina and is currently with the U23s who will play at the Olympics.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich interested in replacing Buendia with another Argentinian according to reports in Argentina. Pedro De La Vega is regarded as one of the better young players in Argentina and is currently with the U23s who will play at the Olympics.

South America is the place to be for young talent post Brexit.

Would be up for this. He's very highly thought of.

And, it still works with the tangent i've taken this thread on, given he plays for Lanus

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Yeah, would be all over that! Been hoping he would be a player Norwich might look at for a few months now

Edited by Darth Vadis

Would De La Vega qualify for the permit? Just wondering as I have no idea how the South American market is easier to get us transfers unless we are signing internationals or players from top divisions (provided the divisions are included in that list of top leagues of whatever it is)

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Also - based on the assumption it works - shows that selling Buendia when he just hit the full squad didn't go unnoticed by other Argentinean talents and they could well see us as a good step up instead of going to Italy, Spain, or Portugal like many tend to do.

Just now, birchfest said:

Would De La Vega qualify for the permit? Just wondering as I have no idea how the South American market is easier to get us transfers unless we are signing internationals or players from top divisions (provided the divisions are included in that list of top leagues of whatever it is)

The Brazilian and Argentinian are ranked as tier two leagues for work permit reasons; if I'm not mistaken only the big five European leagues are tier one. Provided that players are playing regularly in those leagues, they're in with a good shout of getting a permit, especially if their teams are in continental competition (as a lot of them are).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The Brazilian and Argentinian are ranked as tier two leagues for work permit reasons; if I'm not mistaken only the big five European leagues are tier one. Provided that players are playing regularly in those leagues, they're in with a good shout of getting a permit, especially if their teams are in continental competition (as a lot of them are).

He also has been playing in the Copa Sudamerica which is a Band 2 Continental Competition and is a youth international. If he plays at the Olympics (which he is in the squad for) that is 7 of the 15 points needed right there.

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He also has been playing in the Copa Sudamerica which is a Band 2 Continental Competition and is a youth international. If he plays at the Olympics (which he is in the squad for) that is 7 of the 15 points needed right there.

How many more points if he speaks English? I believe thats one of the criteria, another is having a job offer (which he would have). Would certainly be an exciting transfer for us to complete, especially if we are able to figure out the system ahead of other clubs. 

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Am I right in thinking there are also points for being an "exceptional youth player", or something along those lines?

2 minutes ago, birchfest said:

How many more points if he speaks English? I believe thats one of the criteria, another is having a job offer (which he would have). Would certainly be an exciting transfer for us to complete, especially if we are able to figure out the system ahead of other clubs. 

I don't think those things apply to the footballing world's work permit system.

1 minute ago, Darth Vadis said:

Am I right in thinking there are also points for being an "exceptional youth player", or something along those lines?

Not points, but there is an exceptions panel where if players just miss out on points then clubs can make their case citing evidence much of which is about being an 'exceptional talent'. 

Norwich got Soto's permit by saying he is an exceptional talent with a letter of recommendation from the USA head coach.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, birchfest said:

That is for mere mortals, not footballers. It is probably more difficult to get a permit for a professional footballer than someone else. Basically if an average joe had a promise for a job that paid £20k a week for example they would sail through the VISA process, that is not the case for a footballer where their wage is not a consideration (although it was in the previous system.

The way a player gets points is set out in the link below.

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/gbe-criteria/mens-players-criteria-summer-2021.ashx

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

***sniffles*** anyone mind if I call him Emi?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

🎵 "Oh De La Vega, from Argentina, He came to Norwich......"🎵

(just trying to cheer you up Hank😉)

Edited by sonyc

17 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

He might! 😇

Well, I guess thats an interesting insight into the state of our finances. I cant see how our transfer budget would be only £15 million prior to the Emi sale if we are now investing £5 million for Gunn as a long term project/understudy. 

Good bit of business for a keeper who I think can learn under Krul and feel the benefit of a club that knows and rates him. I think for whatever reason he didn't settle at Southampton and then was being shipped out on loan, we all know Keepers out of all positions need a serious run of game time to get up to peak performance and that appears to have been disrupted at times for him. 

21 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Well, I guess thats an interesting insight into the state of our finances. I cant see how our transfer budget would be only £15 million prior to the Emi sale if we are now investing £5 million for Gunn as a long term project/understudy. 

Good bit of business for a keeper who I think can learn under Krul and feel the benefit of a club that knows and rates him. I think for whatever reason he didn't settle at Southampton and then was being shipped out on loan, we all know Keepers out of all positions need a serious run of game time to get up to peak performance and that appears to have been disrupted at times for him. 

'Well, I guess thats an interesting insight into the state of our finances. I cant see how our transfer budget would be only £15 million prior to the Emi sale if we are now investing £5 million for Gunn as a long term project/understudy.'

Something I have been thinking. I think Gunn is a decent keeper. Not Prem quality, but good enough for the bench (where he will most likely be replacing Nyland) and of course all the sentiment and 'he's one of our own!' etc etc, he could maybe sort of prehaps replace Krul one day..

But given our budget 5-10m on a bench player who, baring any serious career changing injuries to Krul, might play a friendly and get two or so cup games this season seems rather.. I don't know, off?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Well, I guess thats an interesting insight into the state of our finances. I cant see how our transfer budget would be only £15 million prior to the Emi sale if we are now investing £5 million for Gunn as a long term project/understudy.'

Something I have been thinking. I think Gunn is a decent keeper. Not Prem quality, but good enough for the bench (where he will most likely be replacing Nyland) and of course all the sentiment and 'he's one of our own!' etc etc, he could maybe sort of prehaps replace Krul one day..

But given our budget 5-10m on a bench player who, baring any serious career changing injuries to Krul, might play a friendly and get two or so cup games this season seems rather.. I don't know, off?

I think its the club striking whilst the iron is hot, he's available right now and who knows what the lay of the land could be in 2 seasons time when Krul might be winding down. He's a good age and he's coming back to a club where he is wanted, as we know confidence is a huge factor in being a keeper and linking back up with Farke will do him the world of good. He had a long term injury and tough competition at Southampton, but  think with a bit more coaching and age he could be every bit a top Premier league keeper.

6 minutes ago, birchfest said:

I think its the club striking whilst the iron is hot, he's available right now and who knows what the lay of the land could be in 2 seasons time when Krul might be winding down. He's a good age and he's coming back to a club where he is wanted, as we know confidence is a huge factor in being a keeper and linking back up with Farke will do him the world of good. He had a long term injury and tough competition at Southampton, but  think with a bit more coaching and age he could be every bit a top Premier league keeper.

Indeed, and if there ever is a player I want to prove me wrong and do well for us it's him as he would deserve it, and of course- Having our number one being a Gunn would be pretty neat 😉

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Turns out Tosin Adarabioyo has a £10m release clause in his contract.

Can see why Norwich (among others) have been interested in him

Ooh. I'd be right up for some of that.