Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

12 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Emi hasnt been badly advised, he's stepped up. It's a simple as that. People can say Dean Smith isn't as good as Farke but he's a very competent well thought of. They'll do well next season, end of really. Essentially we need a player with a tireless work ethic to fill that void rather than just a creative influence. Dowell and Cantwell needed buendias tireless work ethic, so that's a real attribute we need in a player to feel this position now.

He is but will be interesting to see how he handles Buendia when he gets petulant or sulks when taken off or left out of the side.

Will also be interesting to see how they utilise him, a lot of the stuff I'm reading is about him playing right side but as we've seen he's at his best when allowed to roam free.

In our season in the PL as much as he benefited us, he also cost us silly goals and defeats through losing the ball in silly places.

Teams will also know how to 'play him', he has a short fuse and reacts to stuff so expect a red card or 2.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Upo said:

Of course they will. I'd say it's almost disrespectful to Emi if his departure didn't raise any controversy.

That doesn't mean we should delude ourselves about certain realities, however. Our pull factor depends on happy departures.

Exactly! Imagine the press if we had forced Buendia to fulfill his contract obligations against his will. What then would have been our chances of attracting young up-and-coming talent to the club? As it is, Buendia's personal progress is about as good PR for City as it's possible to get.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

He is but will be interesting to see how he handles Buendia when he gets petulant or sulks when taken off or left out of the side.

Will also be interesting to see how they utilise him, a lot of the stuff I'm reading is about him playing right side but as we've seen he's at his best when allowed to roam free.

In our season in the PL as much as he benefited us, he also cost us silly goals and defeats through losing the ball in silly places.

Teams will also know how to 'play him', he has a short fuse and reacts to stuff so expect a red card or 2.

He has shown a better attitude and discipline, bit especially with VAR he will no doubt be prone to more yellows and the odd red. 

Just now, horsefly said:

Exactly! Imagine the press if we had forced Buendia to fulfill his contract obligations against his will. What then would have been our chances of attracting young up-and-coming talent to the club? As it is, Buendia's personal progress is about as good PR for City as it's possible to get.

I just don't understand this argument at all.

Villa held on to Grealish when he pushed for a move.

This doesn't seem to have put Buendia off from signing for them.

So why would not selling Emi suddenly make players refuse to sign for us?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, CanaryCuddles said:

Its a massive shame because had we kept Emi, sold Aarons and Cantwell then reinvested that in the team I think we would have a good chance. We now have a much harder job to rebuild the team without our main creator, which means very little margin for error in the transfer market and also hoping have enough time to get the team firing without him before the season starts.

Anyway done now. OTBC

Whilst I wouldn't have wanted Emi to go, I doubt Todd would raise the same kind of money. For me, Emi's gifted but he's a bit of a luxury for a team in a relegation scrap.

We got 18 points from 5 teams (Manchester City, Leicester, Newcastle, Everton and Bournemouth), 3 points from another three teams (Arsenal, Spurs and Crystal Palace) and got 0 points from 11 teams (Brighton, Watford, Southampton, Burnley, West Ham, Aston Villa, Sheffield United, Wolves, Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool.

Weirdly we got more points against the top 6 than the bottom 7 and when teams let us play, we performed well. Webber's comments about how the other teams were bigger, stronger and faster than ours highlights the direction I believe he wants to take us in. We got beaten from set pieces and counter attacks way too often, and I think he wants a bigger, stronger, quicker side.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Whilst I wouldn't have wanted Emi to go, I doubt Todd would raise the same kind of money. For me, Emi's gifted but he's a bit of a luxury for a team in a relegation scrap.

We got 18 points from 5 teams (Manchester City, Leicester, Newcastle, Everton and Bournemouth), 3 points from another three teams (Arsenal, Spurs and Crystal Palace) and got 0 points from 11 teams (Brighton, Watford, Southampton, Burnley, West Ham, Aston Villa, Sheffield United, Wolves, Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool.

Weirdly we got more points against the top 6 than the bottom 7 and when teams let us play, we performed well. Webber's comments about how the other teams were bigger, stronger and faster than ours highlights the direction I believe he wants to take us in. We got beaten from set pieces and counter attacks way too often, and I think he wants a bigger, stronger, quicker side.

Agree with that, and SW has said the same several times.

Just now, king canary said:

Grealish has been a lifelong fan of Villa and they made him an exceptional wage offer too, so he happily stayed. Buendia has not been a lifelong City fan, and we could get nowhere near the wage Villa have offered him.

According to the reports Villa convinced Buendia that they are genuinely serious about recruiting sufficiently well to compete for a European place this season. All the evidence suggests this is true. City's serious ambition this season does not remotely include challenging for a European spot.

Legally we could have prevented Buendia from fulfilling his potential at a club that is genuinely pushing for a top 6 spot this season by forcing him against his will to abide by the terms of his 5-year contract. If we had done so do you really think that up-and-coming talent wouldn't be put off joining us? As it is, Buendia's progress and move is about as good PR for the cub as we could get in attracting such players with an ambition to hit the top.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

Emi isn’t a boyhood fan of Norwich unlike Grealish and Villa. As it stands they’ve only fended off a move so far, just as we arguably did with Buendia for a time also. If Jack still leaves this summer, and there’s every chance he will with the likes of Man City apparently circling, then it’s not really that much any different to our scenario. 

I would bet my life though had Villa been relegated the same season as us, Grealish would have moved on there and then.

As has been quoted on here various times in the last couple of days, Webber’s opinion is that keeping an unhappy player is counter productive to a happy dressing room. And you can see how much of a priority that is in their thought process just by how quickly the likes of Drmic, Leitner, etc etc were all as unhappy players very quickly removed from that environment.

• Like 3

Just now, Alex Moss said:

Emi isn’t a boyhood fan of Norwich unlike Grealish and Villa. As it stands they’ve only fended off a move so far, just as we arguably did with Buendia for a time also. If Jack still leaves this summer, and there’s every chance he will with the likes of Man City apparently circling, then it’s not really that much any different to our scenario. 

I would bet my life though had Villa been relegated the same season as us, Grealish would have moved on there and then.

As has been quoted on here various times in the last couple of days, Webber’s opinion is that keeping an unhappy player is counter productive to a happy dressing room. And you can see how much of a priority that is in their thought process just by how quickly the likes of Drmic, Leitner, etc etc were all as unhappy players very quickly removed from that environment.

Him being a fan or not is irrelevent to the point I'm making.

My point is, if we'd have held onto Emi for this summer in the face of interest and bids from Villa, do we really think it would then mean other players wouldn't sign for us? I don't. Sure if we kept him for the rest of his deal and turned down bids from clubs in Europe until he left on a free then fine, I can see that. But lets take the young lad from Peterborough- do we really think he'd be put off from signing for us if we kept Emi this summer? Not for me.

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

I do think that we probably played a similar card with Buendia last season. Give us one more year and you can leave on terms that suit us both.

Villa held on to Grealish but are now in a position where Spurs doesn’t suddenly seem the big step up from Villa that it may have done a year ago, especially when you consider Grealish also being a fan. 

I agree it wouldn’t have stopped players signing from us but a disgruntled Emi could have had knock on effects to the rest of the team. As is while I’m sad he’s gone he’s been quite the success story for us and something that surely makes us appealing to ambitious players. One of my fears with keeping Emi here would have been an underperforming team with a player wanting to leave could have turned sour very quickly. 

I say all of this with the assumption that Emi has been promised the move and was pushing for it, if that’s not the case then this whole post can be disregarded 

29 minutes ago, king canary said:

We have had a very different relationship with Todd's agents than Emi's, Ben Godfrey's, Max Aaron's and Jamal Lewis's. We got the others to sign five year deals but that only works if there are assurances that the players can move on if a significant transfer fee presents itself. Todd's agents don't trust us and are a pain to deal with.

If you start trying to force players to uphold five year deals, then they'll refuse to sign anything longer than a three year deal.

• Like 1

Getting back to transfers in, we have already made some offers (the word used was 'offers' rather than mere 'approaches') to some players, some of whom are in Europe (I assume that means in continental Europe) and some are not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Getting back to transfers in, we have already made some offers (the word used was 'offers' rather than mere 'approaches') to some players, some of whom are in Europe (I assume that means in continental Europe) and some are not.

Ooh, exciting (but vague)

3 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Ooh, exciting (but vague)

All taken from the Freezer-Southwell podcasty thingy yesterday. Blame them for being vague! I suspect they may know one or two of the names but silence on that score is part of the deal of them being fed stuff.

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

All taken from the Freezer-Southwell podcasty thingy yesterday. Blame them for being vague! I suspect they may know one or two of the names but silence on that score is part of the deal of them being fed stuff.

Nice to know there are irons in the fire anyway, even if the location is basically only narrowed down to "the universe". 😉

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

'Definitely offers in. Remember that some players are on holiday or preparing on the Euros. So I don't expect anything confirmed imminently. Not all Euro-based players.' 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Sounds good, but as long as said tranfers to us are for the 1st team and not 'Player has joined and now has been loaned out/Player has joined and will now join the youth team' then I will be happy

• Like 1

The transfer rumours thread being dominated by a player we have sold and has about 19 other threads discussing the same things, brilliant! 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

But you are not really comparing like with like. 

Firstly, Grealish what is a local lad and a Villa fan, whereas Emi left his home country to advance his career.

Secondly, whether we like it or not, Villa is a "bigger club" with a higher profile than us and with greater revenue able to afford higher wages.

6 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

The transfer rumours thread being dominated by a player we have sold and has about 19 other threads discussing the same things, brilliant! 

A very good point Doc! I'm really looking forward to seeing who we bring in. OTBC!

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Him being a fan or not is irrelevent to the point I'm making.

My point is, if we'd have held onto Emi for this summer in the face of interest and bids from Villa, do we really think it would then mean other players wouldn't sign for us? I don't. Sure if we kept him for the rest of his deal and turned down bids from clubs in Europe until he left on a free then fine, I can see that. But lets take the young lad from Peterborough- do we really think he'd be put off from signing for us if we kept Emi this summer? Not for me.

Sorry, didn't see this clarification earlier.

I really think that career development is a selling point when trying to attract young talent for whom there is competition. The most ambitious players will want to play for the very highest teams - and their agents will do their best to facilitate this. A career progression pathway is as important to footballers as it is to anyone else.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

Apparently we were interested in Joshua King but abandoned it because he wanted £60k a week and a long term contract:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-norwich-city-pull-the-plug-on-king-pursuit-after-talks/

That combined with his awful attitude (forcing a move to Everton and talking **** about Bournmouth and it's players behind their backs) only to end up rotting on Evertons bench as it seems Everton have become aware of his bad attitude issues makes me want him to not be anywhere near us in the first place thanks

15 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

Apparently we were interested in Joshua King but abandoned it because he wanted £60k a week and a long term contract:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-norwich-city-pull-the-plug-on-king-pursuit-after-talks/

A crazy demand from a player who was recently relegated with Bournemouth and has failed to even remotely make an impact with Everton. 

A shame because I think he's a good player.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sounds good, but as long as said tranfers to us are for the 1st team and not 'Player has joined and now has been loaned out/Player has joined and will now join the youth team' then I will be happy

Agreed. Over the last couple of years it 'seems' we have signed dozens of lads like that who have basically never been heard of again.

The latest was Regan Riley from Bolton this January. What will become of him one wonders? Flynn Clarke is soon to 'enter the building' if rumours are to be believed. Ditto comment.  Soto, Sinani, Sitti (and that's just those beginning with an 'S'!!).

4 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agreed. Over the last couple of years it 'seems' we have signed dozens of lads like that who have basically never been heard of again.

The latest was Regan Riley from Bolton this January. What will become of him one wonders? Flynn Clarke is soon to 'enter the building' if rumours are to be believed. Ditto comment.  Soto, Sinani, Sitti (and that's just those beginning with an 'S'!!).

But these are relatively low risk signings with a natural attrition rate. They aren't all going to be Maddisons, but you only need one or two of those for it to be a success overall. Anyway, a bit early to write some of those names off! 

Re Grealish. If my memory serves me his value has increased considerably during the time he has been "forced" to stay on at Villa, so combined with a hefty wage hike it has not done Grealish much harm by staying put. I don't think we could have done the same had we 2forced" Buendia to stay - with regards to value or wages.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

'Definitely offers in. Remember that some players are on holiday or preparing on the Euros. So I don't expect anything confirmed imminently. Not all Euro-based players.' 

I saw that yesterday…my most immediate thought was that being away on international duty with his country, indeed on a different continent, didn’t seem to prevent Villa/Emi from getting things sorted for his move.  

In this day and age, with deals being being £multi-million, it does sound a fairly lame reason….though that said, of course the transfer  window isn’t even open yet!

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

I saw that yesterday…my most immediate thought was that being away on international duty with his country, indeed on a different continent, didn’t seem to prevent Villa/Emi from getting things sorted for his move.  

In this day and age, with deals being being £multi-million, it does sound a fairly lame reason….though that said, of course the transfer  window isn’t even open yet!

That deal isn't technically 'done' yet though. Emi still hasn't had a full medical with Villa as they can't get into his bubble - the only reason it was announced was to stop the ramped up speculation that was filling the vacuum of official news. I believe Villa didn't want to announce until Emi had return to England and they could make some fancy video but Norwich just tweeted it out.