Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He's a good player and would be an upgrade on Kenny. Was surprised to see the agent specifically mention Norwich alone, rather than reeling off a list of club names that they normally do. Does seem like he is trying to drum up a bit of interest as Norwich probably isn't where Krunic was hoping to land. 

Milan's finances aren't terrible it seems so they might hold out for an upfront fee - Krunic may only prefer a loan though.

I’m personally very happy if it was only a loan. If he performs ala Gibson and Giannoulis then I would imagine we could then shell out, if not then nothings really lost. We didn’t have much luck with loans last time, but had we have bought them all up front then that would have been a pretty hefty spend I should imagine. Yet we got the same players for no more than loan fees. To me this is a very sensible way of doing business.

2 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I really hope it isn’t a loan

Why, Greeno? It’s still exactly the same player - big fee or not. 

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He's a good player and would be an upgrade on Kenny. Was surprised to see the agent specifically mention Norwich alone, rather than reeling off a list of club names that they normally do. Does seem like he is trying to drum up a bit of interest as Norwich probably isn't where Krunic was hoping to land. 

Milan's finances aren't terrible it seems so they might hold out for an upfront fee - Krunic may only prefer a loan though.

Agree on the Kenny part. I like Kenny, I really do. I think hes a great guy and I have no doubt he's an important figure in the dressing room and behind the scenes and all.. But is he premier league material? I think most would agree with me when I say no.

Still think he can be a decent backup/2nd choice player but I do think we must find a better player than him to be our regular starter in the middle

On a sheff Utd theme, we were linked with Ampadu on loan before getting Skipp last season. Didn’t watch much of sheff Utd last year but think he had to fill in at centre half? Could be a loan option if we don’t get Skipp back?

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I’m personally very happy if it was only a loan. If he performs ala Gibson and Giannoulis then I would imagine we could then shell out, if not then nothings really lost. We didn’t have much luck with loans last time, but had we have bought them all up front then that would have been a pretty hefty spend I should imagine. Yet we got the same players for no more than loan fees. To me this is a very sensible way of doing business.

Only issues with loans for me is that Norwich will need players to really dig in next season and be able to ride long periods with no wins. Loan players will always have one eye elsewhere. While things are going well, loan players can be great and no different from a permanent signing, but when the atmosphere is not great they can be hard to pull along. 

Could really see this with Duda last season - he turned up all motivated and enthusiastic and was excellent on his debut and a couple of following games. Once he twigged that Norwich weren't likely to stay up you could see him just give up a bit. Can definitely see the benefit of permanent signings in a relegation battle as they are much more invested in the fight than someone who knows there is little consequence for them on the outcome. (This doesn't apply to all players of course, but it is hard to know before they sign which way they are likely to go).

• Like 1

Just now, Fifty said:

On a sheff Utd theme, we were linked with Ampadu on loan before getting Skipp last season. Didn’t watch much of sheff Utd last year but think he had to fill in at centre half? Could be a loan option if we don’t get Skipp back?

He was Norwich's first choice ahead of Skipp, so can definitely see Norwich going in for him if there is an opportunity. Had a rocky start at Sheff U but many say he was there best player in the latter half of the season. 

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Only issues with loans for me is that Norwich will need players to really dig in next season and be able to ride long periods with no wins. Loan players will always have one eye elsewhere. While things are going well, loan players can be great and no different from a permanent signing, but when the atmosphere is not great they can be hard to pull along. 

Could really see this with Duda last season - he turned up all motivated and enthusiastic and was excellent on his debut and a couple of following games. Once he twigged that Norwich weren't likely to stay up you could see him just give up a bit. Can definitely see the benefit of permanent signings in a relegation battle as they are much more invested in the fight than someone who knows there is little consequence for them on the outcome. (This doesn't apply to all players of course, but it is hard to know before they sign which way they are likely to go).

May be a bit different if he's a loan to buy type deal but I do get what you're saying. 

It doesn't sound like he'd cost a bomb in terms of fee though- Milan paid £7m odd can't imagine they are expecting much of a profit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Why, Greeno? It’s still exactly the same player - big fee or not. 

It is, but I like a stable squad. I get loans, just not a fan of them. Either way, it’s a good sign of ambition

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Agree on the Kenny part. I like Kenny, I really do. I think hes a great guy and I have no doubt he's an important figure in the dressing room and behind the scenes and all.. But is he premier league material? I think most would agree with me when I say no.

Still think he can be a decent backup/2nd choice player but I do think we must find a better player than him to be our regular starter in the middle

If Kenny is first choice next season I have no real issue with that - he was one of the better performers in 19/20 and has maintained that level last season. 

Apart from Pukki, Krul, Buendia, Aarons and Giannalouis I think everyone is likely to have a fight on their hands for a starting spot next season though as the club looks for upgrades in key positions.

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green

20 hours ago, king canary said:

Telegraph linking us with Adam Armstrong today who could be an excellent Pukki alternative. 

Why not play with both? One of them a little lower and/or wider than the other. They could switch positions during the game and be flexible.

Quite like the look of that Krunic at Milan although could well be a case of the agent using our name to attract other offers.

59 minutes ago, Upo said:

Why not play with both? One of them a little lower and/or wider than the other. They could switch positions during the game and be flexible.

Does anyone expect Farke to change his tactics to suit one player?

Also, I know there is cover required for injuries, suspensions etc but who would you leave out to get Armstrong in and what does that do to our shape?

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

Also, I know there is cover required for injuries, suspensions etc but who would you leave out to get Armstrong in and what does that do to our shape?

I expect Farke will play tactics which suit the players available to him. 

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

I expect Farke will play tactics which suit the players available to him. 

I expect the recruitment team are looking at players who fit the way Farke wants to play.

It is the modern way.

Just now, BigFish said:

I expect the recruitment team are looking at players who fit the way Farke wants to play.

It is the modern way.

Absolutely. And that may include a player like Adam Armstrong within those plans. 

We will see, I'm sure.

13 minutes ago, BigFish said:

I am hoping Farke will be a bit more flexible this time around in the Premier League.

My sense last time was he prioritized the technical over the physical to the overall detriment of the team - ie playing people like Trybull, Leitner and even Tettey over Amadou which left us totally exposed physically.

Signs were last season he's changed his approach which is positive- I hope we stick with it. 

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Just looking at the short highlights he looked more like an upgrade on Dowell. Good quick feet to create space, including around the penalty area. But it may be the clip didn't dwell on his defensive work.

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If Kenny is first choice next season I have no real issue with that - he was one of the better performers in 19/20 and has maintained that level last season. 

Apart from Pukki, Krul, Buendia, Aarons and Giannalouis I think everyone is likely to have a fight on their hands for a starting spot next season though as the club looks for upgrades in key positions.

Thank you! The amount of criticism Kenny got when actually being one of our better players in the PL season was ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just looking at the short highlights he looked more like an upgrade on Dowell. Good quick feet to create space, including around the penalty area. But it may be the clip didn't dwell on his defensive work.

His best season was at Empoli when they played him in a midfield 3 in either a 4-3-1-2 or a 5-3-2. He was tasked with picking up the ball and carrying it forward, much like McClean does for Norwich under Farke.

At Milan he has played all along midfield, from a number 10 to a 6 in front of the defense. 

I suspect he would play either the Kenny or the Dowell role for Norwich - much like compatriot Vrancic did.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I do wonder if next season we'll be using a player like this more than a classic number 10- with a central midfield three where one of them pushes a bit further forward in possession but drops back into the three when defending.

39 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Absolutely. And that may include a player like Adam Armstrong within those plans. 

We will see, I'm sure.

29 minutes ago, king canary said:

I am hoping Farke will be a bit more flexible this time around in the Premier League.

My sense last time was he prioritized the technical over the physical to the overall detriment of the team - ie playing people like Trybull, Leitner and even Tettey over Amadou which left us totally exposed physically.

Signs were last season he's changed his approach which is positive- I hope we stick with it. 

No disagreement from me on either of these posts. A player like Armstrong plus a more robust approach at CDM may fit with those plans and make us more difficult to beat. I expect the shape to remain 4231 and variants thereof....so no second striker.

39 minutes ago, BigFish said:

I presume Emi is out, which would give us money for Armstrong and position on field to fill. Buendia out means Farke will adjust his plans no matter what.

I think we probably need to find more  creativity from multiple positions, because Buendia 2.0 won't happen. That is reality. Having two strikers would mean having options in/near the box.

Teemu can play almost like a defensive forward. He's known to drop low and perform tackles: He even took 3 cynical yellows in 19/20 season and generally is very disciplined.

Armstrong has fired more often from worse spots than Teemu, but that might be due to lack of options and not worse discipline: Those xGs may change into xAs if Teemu is available. And vice versa.

Could see a few similar deals to the ones that got us Gibson and Giannoulis. In fact, I would not be all that surprised if that is our primary modus operandi in this window if we don't pick up any good players on Bosman rulings. The intent was clear with Quintilla as well until his hip injury issues so Giannoulis suddenly came into the mix.

I'd be pleased with that - something like loan fee + agreed transfer fee if we stay up would be a nice carrot to drop in front of a player, and possibly counteract this notion that a loan player might not quite go to the well as much. It certainly worked beautifully with Gibson, who hit the ground running and was a consistently rock-solid presence right through the season until his unfortunate injury.

• Like 1

Once we’ve disposed of our key playing assets, once again, I’m sure we can all feel good about the club’s approach to financial risk management. Let’s hope, this time, this is not complemented by a figurative waving of a flag of surrender as was the case two years ago.

6 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

It is, but I like a stable squad. I get loans, just not a fan of them. Either way, it’s a good sign of ambition

Would you be a fan of loans if we got Ronaldo and Messi for a season

1 minute ago, Ward 3 said:

Would you be a fan of loans if we got Ronaldo and Messi for a season

You know we are on a Norwich forum? 

Just now, Dr Greenthumb said:

You know we are on a Norwich forum? 

Yes mate I do. Just a general question. Obviously it'll never happen 🤣

10 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Once we’ve disposed of our key playing assets, once again, I’m sure we can all feel good about the club’s approach to financial risk management. Let’s hope, this time, this is not complemented by a figurative waving of a flag of surrender as was the case two years ago.

Yes because the club has gone really downhill since we sold Maddison and the Murphys hasn't it?

On 30/05/2021 at 17:08, Top corner said:

If rumours are true, we are after a winger who can also play as a striker. Well  one of our admirers Pep G has a winger/striker & Sky Sports are saying they are looking for around £7 million for him. He scored 20 goals last season for Anderlecht. Maybe wishful thinking, but he sounds exactly what we are looking for....Tin hat at the ready 

Lukas Nmecha - he’s playing for Germany U21s now and looks really good. £7m would be a bargain for him if the story is true. 

1 hour ago, Ward 3 said:

Yes mate I do. Just a general question. Obviously it'll never happen 🤣

Haha just checking 😂

• Haha 1