Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Where are the signings??!!

Just kidding.

But what do people think we need to bring in as a matter of urgency? 

Defensive midfielder to replace Skipp and Tettey (with Sorenson replacing one of them) surely has to be priority number 1? 

Then, as Dean Ashton says, some real competition for Pukki?

If Nyland leaves then we probably need quality number 2.

And secondary to the above, I do feel that we need an Placheta/Onel upgrade competing for the wide spots, and I'd feel a little uneasy if we didn't bring in one more centre back, assuming that Klose is deemed too far gone or heading towards the exit? 

All of the above ignores departures of course. Thoughts? 

I wonder when our first signing will be announced, it was a bit of a funny one last season with the Covid situation and the normal timetable running as an overlap to what would be the normal transfer window. It gave the illusion that we were doing business much earlier, I guess this season we will be back to having to wait a month or so potentially.

I’d assume we will see the CDM (thought with skipp welcome regardless) and CB signed earlier in the window, I get the feeling that the money and completion to sign attacking players might see them coming in later in the window.

20 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Just kidding.

But what do people think we need to bring in as a matter of urgency? 

Defensive midfielder to replace Skipp and Tettey (with Sorenson replacing one of them) surely has to be priority number 1? 

Then, as Dean Ashton says, some real competition for Pukki?

If Nyland leaves then we probably need quality number 2.

And secondary to the above, I do feel that we need an Placheta/Onel upgrade competing for the wide spots, and I'd feel a little uneasy if we didn't bring in one more centre back, assuming that Klose is deemed too far gone or heading towards the exit? 

All of the above ignores departures of course. Thoughts? 

Klose is in the same bracket as Drmic, Trybull & Leitner, he won't play for us again.

GK - Nyland hopefully

CB - Competition for Hanley/Gibson

DM - Skipp replacement

DM - Need another one

WING - Need better options

No10 - Competition for Dowell

STR - Competition for Pukki

Thats assuming aarons, cantwell and emi stay.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Klose is in the same bracket as Drmic, Trybull & Leitner, he won't play for us again.

GK - Nyland hopefully

DM - Skipp replacement

DM - Need another one

Are we not seeing Sorenson as a DM then?

And does this scenario make McCallum our 2nd choice left back? I'd forgotten about that left back spot to be fair.

And does this push Stiepermann to the discard list, or do we squeeze him into the 25 as third choice number 10?

Thinking it'll be quiet (albeit with the usual rumours) until well into June. The club will do a feature with shirts/scarves etc when Gibson and Giannoulis sign on the dotted line (expecting late interest elsewhere in the latter but don't think the deal can be hijacked now) but wonder if we'll see much up to then at all other than confirmation of who has been released etc, next few days, and a loan.

The Angus Gunn story is a rum one, can't see anything in that. But if Nyland isn't 'in a rush' then I don't think we will mess around waiting for him if Walton is available and interested.

6 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

GK - Nyland hopefully

DM - Skipp replacement

DM - Need another one

Yep that's fair enough. Think we need to be looking at 'upgrades' though, competition infers they are backups. In our heart of hearts we know from bitter experience that won't be enough.

13 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

GK - Nyland hopefully

DM - Skipp replacement

DM - Need another one

That is a lot of signings without raising money from selling any players.

I can see the wing player also being the backup striker. Don't think we'll see a new 10 signed (Buendia and Cantwell can play there so well covered if new wing player is brought in).

Definitely need wing back cover, one player who can play both sides would suffice. 

Webber said we will see "quantity not quality" in new signings so can't see 7 new first teamers being brought in this summer.

• Like 3

We got Coker from Southend Utd whilst finally getting rid of dead wood Tettey who we've been carrying for 9 years. Job done. What more do you people want. Bunch of fickles 😉

Edited by Michael Starr
  • Haha 2

Competition for Pukki and Hanley/Gibson, and for me that means upgrades if possible but at least as good, and competition infers that if fit those three players would/will probably start the first game of next season having been lynchpin of a promotion season.

Skipp back or an adequate replacement. 

Nyland back or an adequate replacement. 

Ideally a number ten to compete with Dowell and replace Marco/Mario.

Thats potentially five players and then replacements for anyone who leaves, I’d have thought a right back will be required at least. 

Last time only Byram was anywhere near an improvement in what we had, every signing needs to offer something this time round. 

24 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I can see the wing player also being the backup striker. Don't think we'll see a new 10 signed (Buendia and Cantwell can play there so well covered if new wing player is brought in).

Definitely need wing back cover, one player who can play both sides would suffice. 

Webber said we will see "quantity not quality" in new signings so can't see 7 new first teamers being brought in this summer.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, I agree with all of the areas that @Move Klose mentioned (including your wing back cover).

I can see more of the same from Webber: a couple of loans, loan-to-buys and a free transfer or two. We'd then be left with a couple of permanent signings where we invest a few bob.

Purely using the players that we've been linked with, I could imagine something like this:

Backup GK: Nyland or free transfer

CB: Permanent signing

FB: Loan (Williams)

DM: Loan (Skipp)

CM: Permanent signing

Wing: Loan-to-buy

No. 10: Free (Gauld)

ST: Loan-to-buy

51 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And does this scenario make McCallum our 2nd choice left back? I'd forgotten about that left back spot to be fair.

And does this push Stiepermann to the discard list, or do we squeeze him into the 25 as third choice number 10?

We do see Sorenson  as a DM, but we still need two more, we havent seen enough of him to throw him in the deep end in the Premier League with no backup plan yet. 

If what Webber is saying is true, that its quality over quantity, I would argue we need quite a few new additions which need to be quality or will be coming straight back down again.

IMO we need another Striker. Another 10 position, various midfield additions centrally and wing positions, as well as a CB option. A lot is pending on who we sell potentially, so will time will tell.

1 minute ago, Yellow and Green said:

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, I agree with all of the areas that @Move Klose mentioned (including your wing back cover).

I can see more of the same from Webber: a couple of loans, loan-to-buys and a free transfer or two. We'd then be left with a couple of permanent signings where we invest a few bob.

Purely using the players that we've been linked with, I could imagine something like this:

Backup GK: Nyland or free transfer

CB: Permanent signing

FB: Loan (Williams)

DM: Loan (Skipp)

CM: Permanent signing

Wing: Loan-to-buy

No. 10: Free (Gauld)

ST: Loan-to-buy

It's good in theory, the issue is with the new work permit rules the number of players available that can be signed has significantly decreased - no unearthed gems from 2. Bundesliga or Denmark this season. Finding good players who can contribute to a Premier League team on a free is going to be almost impossible - and if they are around then there will be a list of 4 or 5 clubs interested, meaning signing on fees and wages will make them expensive transfers, even on a 'free'.

Loans can be tricky as well as the parent club will likely expect a promise of the player actually playing some games. A strategy of loans, frees and punts is what Norwich did in 19/20 and it spectacularly failed. In my view it would be better to target a few signings and bring in quality rather than stressing too much about having 2 or 3 players who can play in every position. 

Get a centre back, defensive midfielder and winger/striker for big fees. Beyond that look at the U23s for cover. Thinking about full back cover I'd keep McCallum in the building, he played either side for Coventry.

Obviously if Norwich can sell Aarons for £30m then the strategy can change significantly - which is why I think things might be a little slower with transfers this season as Norwich will try to sell before buying. There is also the unknown of exactly how the pandemic will impact the market, will there suddenly be loads of bargains around, or will clubs still be reluctant to let players leave cheaply in the hope the market recovers once fans return. European clubs will always consider Premier League clubs 'rich' regardless of who they are and will expect big money. 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Are you sure he didn’t say ‘quality not quantity’?  If it is quantity then 7 isn’t unreasonable.  

We do look better equipped than last promotion, with a far better defensive record behind us, so that does give a bit more confidence to start with.  People do need to realise that two signings have already been made in making Gibson/Giannoulis permanent, just to maintain what we had.  

For me, at the outset we do need to cover the big hole that Tettey/Skipp create, and as a minimum will need to try to cover anyone who leaves (out of the squad, so not including Trybull/Drmic/Leitner).

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Are you sure he didn’t say ‘quality not quantity’?  If it is quantity then 7 isn’t unreasonable.  

We do look better equipped than last promotion, with a far better defensive record behind us, so that does give a bit more confidence to start with.  People do need to realise that two signings have already been made in making Gibson/Giannoulis permanent, just to maintain what we had.  

For me, at the outset we do need to cover the big hole that Tettey/Skipp create, and as a minimum will need to try to cover anyone who leaves (out of the squad, so not including Trybull/Drmic/Leitner).

Sorry, should say "quality not quantity". 

17 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It's good in theory, the issue is with the new work permit rules the number of players available that can be signed has significantly decreased - no unearthed gems from 2. Bundesliga or Denmark this season. Finding good players who can contribute to a Premier League team on a free is going to be almost impossible - and if they are around then there will be a list of 4 or 5 clubs interested, meaning signing on fees and wages will make them expensive transfers, even on a 'free'.

Loans can be tricky as well as the parent club will likely expect a promise of the player actually playing some games. A strategy of loans, frees and punts is what Norwich did in 19/20 and it spectacularly failed. In my view it would be better to target a few signings and bring in quality rather than stressing too much about having 2 or 3 players who can play in every position. 

Get a centre back, defensive midfielder and winger/striker for big fees. Beyond that look at the U23s for cover. Thinking about full back cover I'd keep McCallum in the building, he played either side for Coventry.

Obviously if Norwich can sell Aarons for £30m then the strategy can change significantly - which is why I think things might be a little slower with transfers this season as Norwich will try to sell before buying. There is also the unknown of exactly how the pandemic will impact the market, will there suddenly be loads of bargains around, or will clubs still be reluctant to let players leave cheaply in the hope the market recovers once fans return. European clubs will always consider Premier League clubs 'rich' regardless of who they are and will expect big money. 

Is there a chance that the Aarons deal has already been done? Just thinking back to reports of Madison to Leicester being sorted well before it was announced and that might mean they can progress targets using those funds sooner.

Doesn’t seem Webber’s style to ‘wait and see’ about something so fundamental to the transfer strategy 

13 minutes ago, Mario Harper****e said:

Is there a chance that the Aarons deal has already been done? Just thinking back to reports of Madison to Leicester being sorted well before it was announced and that might mean they can progress targets using those funds sooner.

Doesn’t seem Webber’s style to ‘wait and see’ about something so fundamental to the transfer strategy 

There is definitely a chance it is all done already, but I personally don't think it is. Maddison's move to Leicester wasn't sorted until the season had ended, hence the panic over his injury (and the fact they even played him), but talks had happened.

I think Webber is trying to stoke up a bidding war for Aarons so will like it to drag out a little bit, things aren't as rushed this close season as last year as there is a proper break between the seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a window like no other Webber window so far in that Norwich might have to wait a little longer for the announcements to start (Euros, Copa America and Olympics mean that is likely anyway). 

As sad as it is, I agree it is more likely we'll see someone leave before we start seeing bodies come in (aside of those we know about in Gibson, Dimi and possibly Nyland). Webbers comments in a recent interview definitely made it sound like they were very open to the idea of raising funds from a sale to reinvest into the squad so I would assume Aaron's going for a tidy sum could trigger a few incoming deals I would assume, I can't see us letting either Todd or Emi go though so by process of elimination that leaves Aarons as the one to go. I'd love if somehow we can keep him and still bring in some quality though. I expect Webber to work some more 'loan to sign' magic deals for us on the condition we sign them if we stay up, seems a safe way to go about business at the moment

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Think we will still sign 2 in that position, with only Sorensen, Rupp (who picks up alot of niggle injuries), McLean (Now about to have a 3 month lay off) we will need 2 more with Skipp and Tettey both gone.

The article on the pinkun says that Stiepermann can move on if a offer comes in, think we can now all accept that Stiepermann isn't cut out for the premier league and won't feature much.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

So @Bethnal Yellow and Green, roughly how many do you think we will get? Above it looks like you are saying a striker who can play off the wing and a fullback capable of playing either side. I assume someone is needed to fill the Skipp hole and personally I think we need another CB. Four + a bunch of under 23s?

Wouldn’t mind giving platecha a go in the premier league, his game maybe better suited. He’s also clearly fancied at international level 

Other than that: GK (if Nyland goes) CB, DM X2, W and S 

If it was up to me, assuming we sold Aarons for a bit of cash I would like to see these players brought in from The Championship and the PL. I don't know enough about other leagues round the world but I would look at players like this for these positions

GK Christian Walton

CB Dael Fry

RB Jayden Bogle

Full back cover: Anfernee Dijksteel or Joel Ward

CM: Lewis O'Brien

CM: Phillip Billing

FW: Ovie Ejaria

FW: Lucas Joao

All big and or pacy players with a bit of skill that I think could or have already proven they can play in the PL. We obviously couldn't sign all 7 as it would cost about 50m plus wages but I'd be happy to see any of those players come in

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

So @Bethnal Yellow and Green, roughly how many do you think we will get? Above it looks like you are saying a striker who can play off the wing and a fullback capable of playing either side. I assume someone is needed to fill the Skipp hole and personally I think we need another CB. Four + a bunch of under 23s?

Hard to say, depends a lot on if players can be sold. It has been shown the market is really slow for clubs trying to shift unwanted players. Norwich failed in moving on Trybull, Leitner and Drmic last summer and I can't see it being much easier to move them on this summer. 

I think McCallum could be the full back - he had a pretty good season at Coventry, how much would a full back better than him cost? Maybe more than it is worth spending on a back-up.

I can see it being as little as 3 players signed who come into the first team (if no one is sold). Defender, defensive midfield (Skipp replacement), wide attacker/striker.  I'd expect these to all come at around a joint cost of about £20m - £25m.

In addition I'd probably expect another midfielder, someone to cover Vrancic leaving and provide more depth in central midfield - but this might be a young player and some others who come in to replace anyone like Stiepermann, Hernandez, Placheta, Hugill etc depending on sales.

Farke doesn't rotate, so I wonder if Norwich will go with a strategy of having a really strong 15 or so players and hoping for less injuries. Webber has mentioned looking at how Burnley have a tight core of players, but not much beyond it, that is probably the plan for Norwich. 

If Aarons is sold I can see the club using the money to get a new right back (obviously) and then maybe a large investment in someone to come into the midfield to take over the McLean role.

It is an interesting window as Norwich do need to consider the long-term futures of Pukki and Krul who are both edging towards their 'post-peak' age. Do they look to bring in the successors now and blood them in, or wait another year and hope neither of them suddenly fall off a cliff edge. 

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

If it was up to me, assuming we sold Aarons for a bit of cash I would like to see these players brought in from The Championship and the PL. I don't know enough about other leagues round the world but I would look at players like this for these positions

GK Christian Walton

CB Dael Fry

RB Jayden Bogle

Full back cover: Anfernee Dijksteel or Joel Ward

CM: Lewis O'Brien

CM: Phillip Billing

FW: Ovie Ejaria

FW: Lucas Joao

All big and or pacy players with a bit of skill that I think could or have already proven they can play in the PL. We obviously couldn't sign all 7 as it would cost about 50m plus wages but I'd be happy to see any of those players come in

I reckon that is around £75m worth of players there. The Championship is too expensive a market to bring in any great number of players.

• Like 1

I think that players' positions are somewhat more dynamic than the average Pinkun poster might imagine.

What we need to do is upgrade all over the pitch where possible but the actual core of the first team, with all players fit, is almost good enough as a starting point. Where we failed miserably two years ago was the quality of the backup players when key figures got injured or simply stopped delivering and just not having enough competition for the starting places.

I'd argue that our biggest deficiency was in central midfield. Without Skipp, it still is. In 2019-20 we had Leitner, Trybull and Tettey (when he wasn't filling in at CB) with Vrancic occasionally playing deeper; and let's not forget the wonderful Amadou. Kenny has been great and Sørensen looks tidy, but two players with no realistic backup is not sufficient. We need two more central midfielders: one the defensive shield and the other to operate box-to-box. Direct competition for the two we already have. [Edit: I obviously forgot about Rupp, so maybe only one needed]

The next priority must be at centre back. Omobamidele has been great and it would be reassuringly Farke-like to keep him around the first team. Hanley and Gibson did well in the Championship but it's debatable whether that is a first-choice pairing capable of surviving in the Premier League. I'm not going to say that those three aren't good enough or that Zimmermann wouldn't be adequate cover. But we need someone of real quality to come in and compete for one of those starting places.

The attacking positions are more complicated because we are unlikely to be able to afford anyone anywhere near as good as what we have already. But we really do need to improve the quality of the backups and competition. We need another striker and we need someone with pace and ability to operate across the three attacking midfield positions. These could be the same person, but we arguably need two new faces. We've lost Vrancic and I am not satisfied that Hugill, Idah, Stiepermann, Hernández or Płacheta are good enough to be the alternatives. We need to be able to hurt teams from the bench as well as replace injured or suspended players.

Then it's just the left back cover. It seems odd that we didn't keep Quintillà so maybe they are satisfied that we have adequate backup.

Edited by Petriix

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I reckon that is around £75m worth of players there. The Championship is too expensive a market to bring in any great number of players.

Yeah, I figured. Although my hope is the current financial impact of covid will lower asking prices. I guessed about 50m but i'll bow to your better knowledge here so i guess it was probably unrealistic. I still like all those players though

29 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Think we will still sign 2 in that position, with only Sorensen, Rupp (who picks up alot of niggle injuries), McLean (Now about to have a 3 month lay off) we will need 2 more with Skipp and Tettey both gone.

The article on the pinkun says that Stiepermann can move on if a offer comes in, think we can now all accept that Stiepermann isn't cut out for the premier league and won't feature much.

I completely forgot about Rupp so maybe we only need one CM.

Can’t see Nyland coming in, he’s available to sign today and if he’s not happy to sign a long term contract as back up to Krul now (which is fair enough of course) then I see no reason why he would anytime soon. He’s good enough to be a number 1 in his own right and I’m sure he will get some good offers over the summer.