Sign in to follow this  
crab man

Delia and current ownership

Forgive me this has probably been discussed a million times over but I hadn't realised both Delia and Michael turn 80 in the next months!! Wow 😲

It's been a rollercoaster under their ownership, and I don't think we could have wished for better, more caring owners in that sense. I know they are both as passionate as ever but how long do we think they will continue at the helm before taking a back seat or passing it over? 

If we can survive in the premiership, will that then be the good time to look at our options so somebody else can push us onto the next level?

We must be a really attractive proposition now, but I do realise change of ownership is a delicate matter as we've seen what's happened to lots of clubs in recent years. 

The guy who owns Spotify has just failed in an attempt to buy Arsenal, so perhaps he could be persuaded...😄😄

I thought Michael and Delia had lined up their Nephew to step up.  It will be a sad moment when they step down, they have been excellent.

It’s a choice between Nepotism Tom or a stinking rich Chinese owner, my view are well known on the subject

14 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

It’s a choice between Nepotism Tom or a stinking rich Chinese owner, my view are well known on the subject

You were wrong about Lambert (the Messiah) who failed everywhere after he left us.

You were wrong about Todd Cantwell.

And you're wrong about this one.

You're always wrong....

• Like 9

Look, age is just a number and anyway they limit their involvement to mainly to the pastoral side of the club. Look at it - for the football side of things, they give all the authority to football people and take advice from other football people, as in giving CEOs or nowadays Sporting Directors almost complete control over the footballing side. Also, the business side is run by business people, so Delia and MJW's input overall is mainly in terms of maintaining a hands off approach while being there as figureheads for what the club represents - and in that way they could go on till they are 100.

As they get older, they may want to hand their shares on and so be it, but at 80, I suspect they will not be thinking about moving on for a while. Health may be an issue at some point, who knows, but with things as they are, they have a nice position of being at the top of the club without having too much to do, mainly being in the parental position of looking after people and continuing the family nature of the club, which so many people who come to the club seem to appreciate.  Long may they continue, as from where I'm standing, the club is in a good situation financially, footballing wise and community wise, overall the best it has ever been - and getting better!

OTBC

• Like 4

I guess it's certain that those that have spent the last 22 years wanting Delia and Michael gone won't have to wait another 22...

"We must be a really attractive proposition now..."

Why do you think so?

1.  There is minimal potential for increased matchday revenue (ground is already Sold Out & making CR bigger will cost a fortune)

2. There is a high risk of declining overeall revenue (relegation and/or downturn in value of TV deals)

Investors want a financial return which is why they are attracted to 'sleeping giants' (Sheff W, Portsmouth, Wrexham, Sunderland etc) . And investors don't like spending their own money (the Burnley takeover is being funded in a very similar way to Glazers' Man Utd deal)

If you are looking to flip a house for profit you buy a wreck (for cheap) & do it up. You certainly don't buy the well-presented cottage with no parking, especially the one in a conservation area with restrictions on development!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lappinitup said:

You were wrong about Lambert (the Messiah) who failed everywhere after he left us.

You were wrong about Todd Cantwell.

And you're wrong about this one.

You're always wrong....

I think you will find that the Messiah did an excellent job down the road and my view of Cantwell hasn’t changed over rated and prime for selling this summer.

what I won’t be wrong about is that yet again under the stowmarket 2 we will have another relegation battle rather than go up and thrive in the premier league 

I doubt the Delia apologists will see this.

Give Webber a few hundred million and we would easily be an established premier team never going to happen with the current owners or nepotism 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crab man said:

Forgive me this has probably been discussed a million times over but I hadn't realised both Delia and Michael turn 80 in the next months!! Wow 😲

It's been a rollercoaster under their ownership, and I don't think we could have wished for better, more caring owners in that sense. I know they are both as passionate as ever but how long do we think they will continue at the helm before taking a back seat or passing it over? 

If we can survive in the premiership, will that then be the good time to look at our options so somebody else can push us onto the next level?

We must be a really attractive proposition now, but I do realise change of ownership is a delicate matter as we've seen what's happened to lots of clubs in recent years. 

The guy who owns Spotify has just failed in an attempt to buy Arsenal, so perhaps he could be persuaded...😄😄

I see his proposal included an idea I floated here 12 or 13 years ago, for the fans or their representative to have a golden share veto, so he might get my vote, depending on everything else being satisfactory.🤓

I have learning difficulties and so don’t really know anything about shareholding and or much about us, but am I right in thinking that being a self funded club means that Delia doesn’t provide any funding for our finances and we have to earn the money ourself via TV rights, tickets, transfer fees etc? I’ve also seen a post on a list of arguments related to “Delia Out” someone saying the the last thing you want is a billionaire who just uses the club to fund their business. Am I right in thinking that the Glazers take most of money Manure earn for themselves, and Marcus Evans did similar?

Iwan Roberts also said on our last promotion, that “breaking the bank” is not always the solution to PL survival which is true - Fulham spent £104m when promoted in 2018 but went straight back down, and have also done so this season. Villa spent £140m in 2019 and only just scraped survival.

If we require wealthy owners to survive in the PL - how come we spent 3 seasons in it from 2011-14? If you ask me it was Hughton who let us down.

Please tell me if I’m wrong though 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I have learning difficulties and so don’t really know anything about shareholding and or much about us, but am I right in thinking that being a self funded club means that Delia doesn’t provide any funding for our finances and we have to earn the money ourself via TV rights, tickets, transfer fees etc? I’ve also seen a post on a list of arguments related to “Delia Out” someone saying the the last thing you want is a billionaire who just uses the club to fund their business. Am I right in thinking that the Glazers take most of money Manure earn for themselves, and Marcus Evans did similar?

Iwan Roberts also said on our last promotion, that “breaking the bank” is not always the solution to PL survival which is true - Fulham spent £104m when promoted in 2018 but went straight back down, and have also done so this season. Villa spent £140m in 2019 and only just scraped survival.

If we require wealthy owners to survive in the PL - how come we spent 3 seasons in it from 2011-14? If you ask me it was Hughton who let us down.

Expert category. 

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I guess it's certain that those that have spent the last 22 years wanting Delia and Michael gone won't have to wait another 22...

Personal friend and expert. 

12 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

You're not wrong.

4 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

May be an image of 3 people

Not chinese but near enough stinking rich for you Uncle Fred i would have thought ?

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

May be an image of 3 people

Not chinese but near enough stinking rich for you Uncle Fred i would have thought ?

Our long suffering fans will never experience an FA Cup win under the stowmarket 2 it’s not an unreasonable ambition either 

As an aside, it there actually a single example of any Chinese (stinking rich or otherwise) actually owning a British club?

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I see his proposal included an idea I floated here 12 or 13 years ago, for the fans or their representative to have a golden share veto, so he might get my vote, depending on everything else being satisfactory.🤓

Tim Burgess tweeted a couple of days ago that a song that is streamed 786 times on Spotify earns the artist enough money to buy a coffee. I would not want my club to be associated with anyone who exploits the effort of others to such an extent.

22 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

As an aside, it there actually a single example of any Chinese (stinking rich or otherwise) actually owning a British club?

Fosun at Wolves, Guochuan Lai at West Brom (looking to sell) and Birmingham is hidden behind a complex web of companies, believed to still be Hong Kong owned.

Tony Xia owned Aston Villa before being forced to sell up, and is allegedly on the run from all the investors whose money he lost. I have no idea if it's true, but it's a story I desperately want to be true.

2 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Fosun at Wolves, Guochuan Lai at West Brom (looking to sell) and Birmingham is hidden behind a complex web of companies, believed to still be Hong Kong owned.

Tony Xia owned Aston Villa before being forced to sell up, and is allegedly on the run from all the investors whose money he lost. I have no idea if it's true, but it's a story I desperately want to be true.

Genuinely thought Wolves were Portugese owned 🤣

So no-one really to get overly excited about then?

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

You're spot on in reality mate - and presented well too. 👍

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Genuinely thought Wolves were Portugese owned 🤣

So no-one really to get overly excited about then?

I should have said that a few years back there was a Chinese government directive for Chinese companies to invest in foreign clubs to get the knowledge to build their Chinese league. Seems to have gone very cold now though.

Have you a link to the interview Delia and MWJ did following relegation last season, they must have done one surely ?

Well it makes a change to debate about we should have a wealthy owner? If we want one are we attractive enough? Will it guarantee EPL status? Is EPL status all some want of their club? And will it make the miserly helping of Scampi more palatable? And will Ricardo's reports be published in the FT?

19 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Have you a link to the interview Delia and MWJ did following relegation last season, they must have done one surely ?

Depends if they were asked, I presume?