Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Anyone looking forward to VAR next season?

Var simply needs an overhaul for such marginal decisions to be given in favour of the attacking side, that’s all.  It’s not rocket science.  We, as supporters, would much rather see goals than dubious decisions ruling them out.

• Like 1

Have you noticed there’s a gap between foot and ball, move it a frame back when the ball is actually leaving the foot and he’ll be onside! This is where it’s just a stupid system that isn’t working!

• Like 2

I'd look forward to a rectal examination more.... 

Needs binning off, and needs doing now. Killed the game!!!! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Have you noticed there’s a gap between foot and ball, move it a frame back when the ball is actually leaving the foot and he’ll be onside! This is where it’s just a stupid system that isn’t working!

Agreed, and this is why VAR needs to be tweaked. This isn't the fault of VAR or even the people who operate it because it's impossible to stop the camera exactly when the ball leaves the foot. I think the cameras used at the top level of football shoot around 50 frames per second, so there's always going to be one where the ball is in contact with the foot and the next one where it isn't. In the time between those two frames, an elite athlete can easily travel 10-15cm if he's running full pace in a straight line.

Anyone looking forward to VAR next season?

Yeah me, but only if next season I'm allowed inside Carrow Road on match days to moan about it.....(if it goes against us)......

17 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It looked more offside in real time than on  VAR.

Yes, my thoughts also.

At least the decision was correct. Tough when very close but whatever you do a line will be drawn somewhere, much the same as before VAR existed.

Leicester will love it Chelsea won't, such is life.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:
2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

It looked more offside in real time than on  VAR.

Yes, my thoughts also.

At least the decision was correct. Tough when very close but whatever you do a line will be drawn somewhere, much the same as before VAR existed.

The problem is it takes too long for it to work. How ridiculous for one side to think they have scored and celebrate wildly, only for it to be taken away two minutes or more later, basically by a flawed piec of technology - and the inability for those in charge of that flawed technology to find a way of making it work well.  

People say it was the right decision, but was it? To me it was too close to call and the photo shows that - and in those conditions, advantage should be given to the attacker.  The solution is a lot simpler than people think too - if the distance offside is less than a foot (foot as on the end of your leg, not the measurement) then the attacker gets the decision.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

The problem is it takes too long for it to work. How ridiculous for one side to think they have scored and celebrate wildly, only for it to be taken away two minutes or more later, basically by a flawed piec of technology - and the inability for those in charge of that flawed technology to find a way of making it work well.  

People say it was the right decision, but was it? To me it was too close to call and the photo shows that - and in those conditions, advantage should be given to the attacker.  The solution is a lot simpler than people think too - if the distance offside is less than a foot (foot as on the end of your leg, not the measurement) then the attacker gets the decision.

As I pointed out, the ball had already traveled away from the foot, is the frame before at point of contact would had him onside! So which frame do you use? Is it simply the person in the VAR facilities call and his prejudices towards the outcome? For me it didn’t look offside and it wasn’t given at the time, not a glaring and obvious error and should have counted.

Then you go back to the Leicester goal, was it hand ball, technically yes, the first half the Chelsea defender had a free kick given when the ball hit his arm from two yards so if you call that hand ball then so was the Leicester players. Had it not hit his arm the ball would have gone out for a throw. Small calls big outcomes. VAR should be rethought.

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Boy I sure can't wait, it's going to be so much fun 😉

var.jpg

I enjoyed the pendulum swing of emotion in the crowd on this occasion, as I was leaning to favour Leicester. But overall its annoying and hate it for City games!

1831FF02-0B45-4701-9D9B-861EE5825E28.jpeg.afd4fe76ed6f666ec7dfbf49afe50ffc.jpeg

I’ll post this again (and probably won’t be the last time).

Unless the technology has been updated (which we would’ve heard about if so) then this is why VAR is massively flawed for offside decisions.

There needs to be a margin of error. Stop pretending it’s a definitive decision (on or offside) when the technology doesn’t exist to prove it.

• Like 6

Wasn't there a handball in the lead up to the Leicester goal? Was unsure why VAR ruled that it was accidental. Probs because Tielemans goal was so good they went "nah... We'll let that one go" 😉

9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Don't disagree but VAR doesn't make the rules. What needs changing is not how VAR interprets the rules but the rule itself. There should be clear daylight between attacker and defender end of.

Offside should be off or on, it's binary and the most simplest to get right even w/o technology.

VAR actually made the right decision, the rule itself is wrong.

Just takes the lines away and all works fine.

The VAR gets to see the freeze frame and has to make a judgement by eye, on or off side. Just as the Lino has to but with the benefit of a still picture. Without the lines yesterday it would have been too close to call as definitely off side so it would have stood. It would also clear up the point about precisely when the ball was kicked as such fine margins wouldn’t matter when there are no lines to judge it by. Would literally take seconds to decide. Again just as the Lino has to do on the pitch.

• Like 3

Purely talking about the FA Cup, VAR was only in place in games at premier league stadiums and ‘at the discretion of the FA’. In a round some games would have VAR and others wouldn’t. To me that seems to really damage the integrity and fairness of a completion. 

If VAR was used for its intended purpose to overturn clear and obvious errors, then it would have been great. Teams have been relegated due to cheating, obvious errors.

For some strange reason we’ve implemented it to such fine margins to look into fractional margins on offside which can’t be definitely called and then some stupid rules like handballs. Then you have this stupid rule where the linesman is to keep his flag down when he knows a players offside to allow the play to run its course then be reviewed.....this has potential to get someone injured only for that play to be cancelled.

Bring it back to check for obvious errors only, on field marginal calls like yesterday are not to be over turned.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Wasn't there a handball in the lead up to the Leicester goal? Was unsure why VAR ruled that it was accidental. Probs because Tielemans goal was so good they went "nah... We'll let that one go" 😉

I thought that the change to the rule where any handball, even accidental,  which led to a goal being disallowed was not going to be changed until the end of the season.

Cant say I have heard that it was being introduced for the FA Cup final. Especially when the majority of FA Cup matches are not even subject to VAR.

As an aside congratulations to Leicester.

2 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Just takes the lines away and all works fine.

The VAR gets to see the freeze frame and has to make a judgement by eye, on or off side. Just as the Lino has to but with the benefit of a still picture. Without the lines yesterday it would have been too close to call as definitely off side so it would have stood. It would also clear up the point about precisely when the ball was kicked as such fine margins wouldn’t matter when there are no lines to judge it by. Would literally take seconds to decide. Again just as the Lino has to do on the pitch.

This is a great solution, covers all bases and is simple for everyone to understand.  Would they do that? Not in a million years....why? Because they want the technology to work because they have invested so much in it.  Shame, but is probably the reason why we are stuck with it and the stupidity of officialdom to put in place what is necessary. 

• Like 1

Advantage should be given to the attacker, with the player having to be fully offside with clear daylight between himself and the opposition player. All teams would then have equal advantage. Why the hell can’t they just implement that for next season??? Or would that be too sensible, preventing the league from controlling results and therefore upsetting the big money gamblers abroad? Anyway, it’s an utter disgrace how it’s being used, and quite frankly ruined the ‘magic of the cup’ yesterday - I thought it was a crap game but extra time and penalties might have brought about further drama.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ricardo said:

Yes, my thoughts also.

Leicester will love it Chelsea won't, such is life.

Thats the thing. The decision isn't even necessarily correct.

Everyone seems to want it out. Is causing loads of problems amongst both players and fans. We may get more in our favour though - I believe Liverpool got a lot in their favour last season but haven’t been so lucky this time round 

2 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Everyone seems to want it out. Is causing loads of problems amongst both players and fans. We may get more in our favour though - I believe Liverpool got a lot in their favour last season but haven’t been so lucky this time round 

They have today

On 15/05/2021 at 19:13, cambridgeshire canary said:

Boy I sure can't wait, it's going to be so much fun 😉

var.jpg

I mean this is offside and in a cup final meant the right result so actually VAR was good on this occasion. 

11 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

I mean this is offside and in a cup final meant the right result so actually VAR was good on this occasion. 

But it's not offside it's clearly level 🤷‍♂️. Even if it was offside VAR technology, as has already been stated many times is not accurate enough to proof that definitely with decisions that close. 

VAR is worse for the game than the Super League would have been. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

the player having to be fully offside with clear daylight between himself and the opposition player.

My thoughts exactly. Analogous to the whole of the ball having to be all the way over the line to be a goal or out of play. 

That situation gives a much clearer advantage to the offside player compared to being approximately (overlappingly) level, which implies equal advantage.

They could define it to require  a clear difference of several centimetres compared to the current definition, making it easier for VAR and TV frames to identify.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

My thoughts exactly. Analogous to the whole of the ball having to be all the way over the line to be a goal or out of play. 

That situation gives a much clearer advantage to the offside player compared to being approximately (overlappingly) level, which implies equal advantage.

They could define it to require  a clear difference of several centimetres compared to the current definition, making it easier for VAR and TV frames to identify.

Exactly GA47. It is utterly ridiculous, a toenails length is not realistically an advantage for instance, no way.

I’ve seen quite a few football pundits and experts such as Arsenal Wenger calling for this to be the way forward. It’s an absolute no brainer, why the hell they don’t just implement that very simple straightforward system for next season onwards, or even at the Euros, god only knows!

• Like 1

On 17/05/2021 at 09:04, Ken Hairy said:

But it's not offside it's clearly level 🤷‍♂️. Even if it was offside VAR technology, as has already been stated many times is not accurate enough to proof that definitely with decisions that close. 

VAR is worse for the game than the Super League would have been. 

I mean it is offside his arm is clearly ahead of the defender, need to borrow my glasses? Im not saying VAR is good its not its terrible but this is a right decision. As for you saying VAR is worse than the Super League, have a word with yourself! 

• Like 1