Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

More Israeli war crimes

20 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Operation Claw is a Turkish onslaught in Iraqi Kurdistan that lasted from May 2019 to June 2020. Hundreds of people were killed or wounded in that operation. These operations, of course, are only the latest flare-ups in Turkey’s 40-year war with Kurdish militants, which has led to the deaths of around 20,000 Kurdish civilians and the destruction of between 2,500 and 4,000 Kurdish villages.

The OP, a know fanboy of Turkey, has failed to mention the persecution of Kurds yet sheds crocodile tears for the terrorists embedded in the civilian population in Gaza.

Operation Claw-Lightning is a follow-up to Operation Claw, started by Turkey on 23 April, but we are yet to see any form of public outrage or street protest in the west. That's because Turkey is not Israel and anti-semitism runs deep in the progressive left.

Hang on a minute, Turkish fan boy?! No. I lived there, I like the country and I know a lot about it but I am absolutely 100% pro-Kurdistan and support the Kurdish people. Do I have to start a thread about every cause I believe in? Surprisingly, there are fewer people who are educated about the Turkey/Kurdish issue, so debate on here is rather limited. Far more people understand a bit about Israel/Palestine.

Neither Hamas nor the PKK are terrorists in my book, they are people fighting against oppression and tyranny. I would do exactly the same thing in their shoes. Whats the alternative? Stand by and spinelessly watch your people slaughtered?

Erdoğan is a dictator and a terrorist, and you won't find any love for him from me. I have him on par with Netanyahu. In fact, if you read my posts through history, you will find me criticising Erdoğan every step of the way, even way back when he started messing with the constitution to abolish two term presidencies etc.

There is nothing more anti-semitic than Netanyahu and his Zionist assault by the way. He's the one leading the false equivalence between anti-Israel and anti-semitic sentiments. There's nothing anti semitic in being against his terrorist regime.

RTB spouting ill informed ****. Who would have thought it.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Operation Claw is a Turkish onslaught in Iraqi Kurdistan that lasted from May 2019 to June 2020. Hundreds of people were killed or wounded in that operation. These operations, of course, are only the latest flare-ups in Turkey’s 40-year war with Kurdish militants, which has led to the deaths of around 20,000 Kurdish civilians and the destruction of between 2,500 and 4,000 Kurdish villages.

The OP, a know fanboy of Turkey, has failed to mention the persecution of Kurds yet sheds crocodile tears for the terrorists embedded in the civilian population in Gaza.

Operation Claw-Lightning is a follow-up to Operation Claw, started by Turkey on 23 April, but we are yet to see any form of public outrage or street protest in the west. That's because Turkey is not Israel and anti-semitism runs deep in the progressive left.

Israel protest against Palestine. Only we would call it a blockade. 

And to educate you. Israel is a country. Judaism is a way of life. And you quote semitism as if it is the same as being an Ipswich supporter. I don't think you know or understand where it comes from and what it represents.

• Like 2

Apropos of nothing, I see Tommy Robinson was at the pro-Israel march.

13 hours ago, Herman said:

Apropos of nothing, I see Tommy Robinson was at the pro-Israel march.

BBC journalists are paid by us to be neutral, not cheerleaders for Hitler. Robinson is a private citizen who is entitled to go on any march he wishes subject to Covid restrictions.

Quite a few misconceptions (accidental or deliberate) and odd arguments about Israel/Palestine. Firstly, the Palestine that was invaded by the settlers was not some empty bit of desert with a few people living in tents. It was a thriving community with schools, hospitals, cultural activities etc. Ilann Pappe’s History of Modern Palestine is probably the best book to read.

Balfour effectively acknowledged that in his declaration (which he very quickly regretted) by saying the establishment of a Jewish homeland should not damage ‘the civil and religious rights’ of the existing community. In other words, he knew there was a community already there, with rights, to be damaged.

Far from being a bloodless invasion, about 750,000 Arabs were forced out, becoming homeless refugees, hundreds were killed, some women may have been raped, although there has never been official confirmation of that, and hundreds of villages (probably around 400) were razed to the ground. Hardly an empty bit of desert with a few people in tents.

The British soldiers trying to hold the line and stop the bloodshed found they were regarded by the settlers (I am deliberately using the most neutral word possible – other words might also fit) as legitimate targets. Some were killed and two were captured and lynched, and the British HQ, the King David Hotel, was blown up, with 91 people killed. Victims who had fought against **** Germany.

That the settlers took some land might in the long run have been accepted. The problem, as maps from 1948 and now show, is that more and more land has been taken, and with the seemingly imminent appointment of an extreme Zionist pro-settler as prime minister hardly looks likely to stop. There are two reasons behind the land grab. One, as KIO says, is to make unfeasible a two-state solution by further chopping up the Palestinian bit of the West Bank. Secondly, Zionists believe it is theirs – literally - by divine right (Just to add, some claim ‘Zionist’ as a term is anti-semitic, but that is what Zionists proudly call themselves).

I have seen the argument that land has been stolen throughout history, which is true, but this was not the Dark Ages or the Middle Ages. This was the middle of the twentieth century, by which point peoples in situ had a right to be secure. As Balfour acknowledged, the hundreds of thousands of Palestinians had civil rights, including the right not to be brutally thrown out of their own homes and homeland.

While on the subject, do Arabs in Israel have equal rights to Jews? No. Theoretically they did, but the 2018 Nation-State law gave the right to determine the Jewish state to Jews only. But that de jure discrimination apart, in practice there is, according to the Association for Civil Rights in Israel, entrenched discrimination and socioeconomic differences in “land, urban planning, housing, infrastructure, economic development, and education.”

Is Israel surrounded by hostile countries that want to destroy it? No, and Israel is the only nuclear power in the region. Is Hamas a terrorist organisation that tries to kill Israelis? Yes, but that has to be seen in context. As with many other such groups in the past, such as the ANC, it developed from trying to use peaceful persuasion (in its case the pacifist Muslim Brotherhood) to violence because peaceful means were not just getting nowhere but failing to stop the seizure of more land. Would Hamas give up its aim of destroying Israel if there was either an equitable two-state solution (which would have to involve Israel giving back land) or a one-state solution with Israeli Arabs having full de jure and de facto rights? No-one knows, but there is a history of such groups laying down their weapons.

But an equitable solution hardly seems close. The Middle Ages was the time of the great religious wars, and that phase appeared long gone. But religion is at least half the problem in solving the Israel/Palestine conundrum, which is an anachronistic collision between conflicting fundamentals – the adamantine belief in God-given rights and the modern secular belief in inalienable civil rights.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

Great Post purple 👍

I am as old as the state of Israel, and through personal circumstances that don't need to be explained have a reasonably balanced view of the situation. Of course the Jews had to be given a homeland after world war two. My not serious solution is that they should have been allocated the Falkland islands, which could well have changed recent UK political history, given that the Argentinians would never have dared invade, leaving Thatcher without a war to boost her re-election chances.

The decision - or acceptance of the inevitable - to make it Palestine was never going to end well. I have a book entitled The Fifty Years' War. A title now 22 years out of date. I would not bet on living long enough to see a just settlement for the Palestinians. What I do believe that in a hundred years or so people will look back and find it hard to credit that so obvious and cruel an injustice was allowed for so long.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I am as old as the state of Israel, and through personal circumstances that don't need to be explained have a reasonably balanced view of the situation. Of course the Jews had to be given a homeland after world war two. My not serious solution is that they should have been allocated the Falkland islands, which could well have changed recent UK political history, given that the Argentinians would never have dared invade, leaving Thatcher without a war to boost her re-election chances.

The decision - or acceptance of the inevitable - to make it Palestine was never going to end well. I have a book entitled The Fifty Years' War. A title now 22 years out of date. I would not bet on living long enough to see a just settlement for the Palestinians. What I do believe that in a hundred years or so people will look back and find it hard to credit that so obvious and cruel an injustice was allowed for so long.

I have always thought it strange that to make it right for displaced Jews, nearly all European, they gave them what is now Israel and at the same time displaced so many Palestinians.

They could have given them Bavaria, a European area and displaced the citizens of the nation that caused them to be displaced.