Sign in to follow this  
ALBOWLLY

Andrew Cullen.

An odd request but how did he do during his time at Carrow Road? Is he remembered fondly or not? Or is he not remembered at all?

22 minutes ago, ALBOWLLY said:

An odd request but how did he do during his time at Carrow Road? Is he remembered fondly or not? Or is he not remembered at all?

Who he?

Well remembered by some I'm sure. Very bright guy - did a great job here over a number of years as Sales and Marketing Manager. 

• Like 1

Just now, lappinitup said:

Who he?

He has been appointed today as CEO at Portsmouth. He was with you for ten years in the late 90's and early part of this century.

Fantastic Sales and Marketing Manager, he built up the game day fanbase, the reserve team attendances, engagement across the county, worked will with FITC as it was then. Worked here during a tough time too, had foresight to look a little out the box too with some of our commercial ways to bring money in.

So I would say he did a very good job and if he is at Portsmouth now, he can build a great energy for the club.

• Like 2

Andrew Cullen did a fantastic job here a great guy, his wife Jacqui was also Delia's PA for many years she ran the Hotel franchise at MK Dons Stadium.

He has been Executive Director (CEO) at MK Dons until recently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Good bloke. No Stuart Webber but did a decent job at MK by all accounts. 

He was essentially a marketing man worked in the hospitality sector before joining Norwich, Webber has come from a football coaching background. He went to MK Dons along with Shaun O'Hara who was financial controller at Carrow Rd in the same time. You may recall Neil Doncaster was CEO then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ALBOWLLY said:

Hi Andrew Cullen how are you

A very good man and Portsmouth will do well with him as CEO. A pleasure to be on the SCG with him being one of the club officials who sat on it back in the day.

I worked with Andy Cullen when the company that I was employed with was a sponsor of the club, and always found him to be an excellent marketing man and a thoroughly good chap. I wish him well with his new job at Portsmouth.

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

A very good man and Portsmouth will do well with him as CEO. A pleasure to be on the SCG with him being one of the club officials who sat on it back in the day.

Hear Hear.

Andy's big success at Carrow Road was to fill the ground following its last substantial development being the new South Stand. This he achieved magnificently with a competitive pricing structure and a little help from Darren Huckerby and Co.

I am sure many clubs will value that skill set tremendously following the pandemic. Somewhat sad that the current structure of football at the top end tends to create a different focus.

If he was in charge of sales and marketing then I presume he had something to do with 'kids for a quid' which was a fantastic scheme. Those games are what got me going and then into being a season ticket holder and I'm sure a fair few others of my age have a similar story.

31 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Andy's big success at Carrow Road was to fill the ground following its last substantial development being the new South Stand. This he achieved magnificently with a competitive pricing structure and a little help from Darren Huckerby and Co.

I am sure many clubs will value that skill set tremendously following the pandemic. Somewhat sad that the current structure of football at the top end tends to create a different focus.

Spot on Essex.

It’s easy for us to take for granted a full ground pretty well every time the gates are opened and to forget how recently that was not the case. We can argue now about whether the percentage of season ticket holders is too high or not, but it’s importance to our club is highlighted by the revenue hole in covid times and the knowledge that dips in results can be easier ridden out.

52 minutes ago, king canary said:

If he was in charge of sales and marketing then I presume he had something to do with 'kids for a quid' which was a fantastic scheme. Those games are what got me going and then into being a season ticket holder and I'm sure a fair few others of my age have a similar story.

Marketing in those days took on board a wider long term focus than it appears to these days where the emphasis seems to be purely on those who will pay the biggest price.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

It was indeed Andy who got that scheme off the ground.

I believe Roger Munby was very instrumental in appointing Andrew Cullen and also in much of what was achieved at the time, as his own 'day job' was as a Marketing Director of a major national organisation.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I remember those from when I was little (although my dad would probably have taken me regardless) but unless there's a stadium expansion any time soon, we risk losing an entire generation. Which ironically means we would no longer need a bigger stadium.

4 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I remember those from when I was little (although my dad would probably have taken me regardless) but unless there's a stadium expansion any time soon, we risk losing an entire generation. Which ironically means we would no longer need a bigger stadium.

Quite. We have transformed our performance on the pitch since the days of Andy and Roger but what about off It?

In addition to the Premier League TV bounty the Clubs commercial customer income is doubtless as high as it has ever been. If we had the likes of Andy and Roger or their equivalents on board we may be capable of finding a solution and turning some of the largesse into a legacy. Filling the 3 vacant positions on the Board with suitable individuals may also help generate some imagination?

He is the reason we sell out Carrow Road.

His techniques at the time in building a fan base were considered innovative, although no longer (he was one of the pioneers).

Kids for a quid, kids having seasons tickets for £12, etc. 

Basically filled all of our spare seats with kids one way or another, and now those kids are adults, with full time jobs, and still visit Carrow Road paying half a grand a year for a season ticket.

That is why MK Dons poached him, they needed to build a fanbase. 

Portsmouth however already have a ground that they near enough fill, so the growing fanbase thing not as applicable. 

Sure he's got other ideas to grow commercial revenues etc? 

8 hours ago, essex canary said:

Marketing in those days took on board a wider long term focus than it appears to these days where the emphasis seems to be purely on those who will pay the biggest price.

Cullen was lauded at the time as being somewhat of a pioneer, which is why a brand new club poached him to build them a fanbase.

3 hours ago, essex canary said:

WWIAFTM/

-

Quite. We have transformed our performance on the pitch since the days of Andy and Roger but what about off It?

In addition to the Premier League TV bounty the Clubs commercial customer income is doubtless as high as it has ever been. If we had the likes of Andy and Roger or their equivalents on board we may be capable of finding a solution and turning some of the largesse into a legacy. Filling the 3 vacant positions on the Board with suitable individuals may also help generate some imagination?

The EPL largesse is to a significant extent illusory, certainly as far as stadium expansion goes in the short-term, and there isn't a required set number of directors (apart from a minimum, which I assume we at least have with five) so there are not three vacant seats, or any number of vacant seats.

That said, there is a strong argument for some new blood in any boardroom that has four out of the five being as long-standing as ours. And that is without getting on a Saturday evening into the notion in the longer run of some kind of multi-investor/director take-over...

• Like 1