The Bristol Nest

Pritchard contract not renewed by Huddersfield

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Much rather we brought Jacob Murphy back if we need a squad player for wide areas, to come off the bench now and again. 

I would have Pritchard over Placheta, but that is not a compliment. 

Pritchard is only being linked to bottom half Championship clubs for a reason, because that's his level now, boat has sailed.

Oh no TVB. I watched the entire Leicester v Toon game and although Jacob had his moments (one quite brilliant actually) the same old "Murphy problems" were clear to see, ie. disappearance (hiding) for periods of the game  and poor back tracking for most of it. 

Possibly the reasons he's not been an outstanding success at Newcastle, even though Bruce seems to be getting desperate by starting him at last.

Farke need not be that desperate.

An energetic Placheta for me any day.

• Like 1

Bit of revisionism here.

Pritchard was excellent for us, with a superb eye for a through ball. 

We are used to it now with Emi, though it is quite a rare ability.

Alex Neil’s defence in not playing Maddison was that he ‘had Pritchard’ and Farke genuinely liked him and was disappointed to see him go. 

Something has happened - quite possibly beyond football - though Alex Pritchard had valuable and uncommon abilities. 

Parma 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Bit of revisionism here.

Alex Neil’s defence in not playing Maddison was that he ‘had Pritchard’ and Farke genuinely liked him and was disappointed to see him go. 

Something has happened - quite possibly beyond football - though Alex Pritchard had valuable and uncommon abilities. 

Parma 

Could be a mental issue - either a lack of fire after he got the big move, for which we can be very critical. Alternatively, he's suffering with mental health issues, and he needs support.

1 minute ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Bit of revisionism here.

Parma 

Exactly.

In all honesty he probably shouldn't ever have been signed (we had Wes and Maddison on the books at the time) but in his time here he looked quality and suffered from the fact Neil dropped him the second he had an excuse. 

Sure he likely wanted to move when Huddersfield came in but I doubt Webber needed much persuading to accept the bid either. 

• Like 1

Bit of revisionism here.

Parma 

Ditto   (more or less)

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Nothing to do with what he was.

If lowly Huddedrsfield don't want him, why should we?

Because sometimes people are wrong? (I don't actually want him but equally don't agree with your logic).

4 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Because sometimes people are wrong? (I don't actually want him but equally don't agree with your logic).

The then Huddersfield owner has stated, words to the effect, that that they paid too much for him and in his time there he only played 80 games for them over about 3/4 years.

Perhaps injuries interrupted but, nevertheles, like you I don't think that record qualifies him for a place in a soon to be Premier League Norwich City squad. Logical or not.

33 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Could be a mental issue - either a lack of fire after he got the big move, for which we can be very critical. Alternatively, he's suffering with mental health issues, and he needs support.

It was always a slightly odd fit- Huddersfield under Wagner were a defense first sort of team and Pritchard wasn't going to get the kind of time and space on the ball he would in a Farke team with players like Maddison and Murphy around him so I'm not shocked it didn't work out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Much rather we brought Jacob Murphy back if we need a squad player for wide areas, to come off the bench now and again. 

I would have Pritchard over Placheta, but that is not a compliment. 

Pritchard is only being linked to bottom half Championship clubs for a reason, because that's his level now, boat has sailed.

I'm thinking more of a back up Number 10. But anywhere in the three I think he'd excel, given the others players he'd be integrating with. I think there's a lot of short sightedness here. I bet Buendia and Cantwell would equally struggle in the current Huddersfield Town set up. 

I could be wrong, if the fire is out, then obviously avoid. But could be a shrewd move for not a lot of money. Intelligent players designed for the Farke system cost a lot and are few and far between! 

I do agree it's unlikely.. But Pritchard is not the dud people are making out. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I thought of that TGS though remembered that we paid very good money for him too in context.

If it was ‘getting soft after money’ then we had him for long enough to see that emerge. 

He hadn’t always looked ‘a physical specimen’ and that can catch up with you if are asked to do more than ‘pick a pass’...(I’m being deliberately unfair).

Football has moved on apace again in terms of dynamism and contribution to all phases of play. 

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy

9 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

I thought of that TGS though remembered that we paid very good money for him too in context.

If it was ‘getting soft after money’ then we had him for long enough to see that emerge. 

He hadn’t always looked ‘a physical specimen’ and that can catch up with you if are asked to do more than ‘pick a pass’...(I’m being deliberately unfair).

Football has moved on apace again in terms of dynamism and contribution to all phases of play. 

Parma 

We did pay very good money for him, but we weren't in the Premier when all's said and done. Huddersfield, IIRC, had already survived a season and were having another go in a bid to establish themselves in the top flight but second-season syndrome did for that as it has for Sheffield United this season.

33 minutes ago, king canary said:

It was always a slightly odd fit- Huddersfield under Wagner were a defense first sort of team and Pritchard wasn't going to get the kind of time and space on the ball he would in a Farke team with players like Maddison and Murphy around him so I'm not shocked it didn't work out. 

Also I'd add that it must be a bit of a thankless task being the creative attack midfielder in a team set up like that - we all remember how frustrated Wes got under Hughton for example. So if the fire did go out it might not be that surprising. 

I thought he was an exciting signing and a future Wes replacement. He looked the part as well. 

It was the nature of his leaving that made me chuckle at the outcome. Back from injury for two games and promptly agitated a move. Webber was unimpressed at the time and extolled the virtues of planning your career. We got 11 million for him and watched Maddison become the player that Pritchard will now never be.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Exactly.

In all honesty he probably shouldn't ever have been signed (we had Wes and Maddison on the books at the time) but in his time here he looked quality and suffered from the fact Neil dropped him the second he had an excuse. 

Sure he likely wanted to move when Huddersfield came in but I doubt Webber needed much persuading to accept the bid either. 

Our recruitment that summer always felt like we were buying whoever agents were trying to sell rather than trying to scout for positions. As Webber pointed out, when he turned up we had three number 10s and no left back. We ended up with Hoolahan, Naismith, Pritchard, the Murphys, Canos and Robbie Brady(sometimes at left back) and later Yanic Wildschut competing for three slots at various points in the season. Pritchard made 19 starts and 11 sub appearances

He could have gone to Brighton, but we gave him a better offer. Then Brighton drubbed us 5-0 and finished 2nd, and we finished 8th,10 points off the playoffs

I don't think his situation was that different from Jonny Howson. When Webber started our average wage bill was £28k, we had one season of parachute payments left and with a self funding model needed to transition to a cheaper squad. So I don't blame them for thinking that the club was going backwards at that time.

Have him back? No thanks! He couldn't wait to force through a move and leave us so why would we want a player like that in the ranks? We've got a really good group and togetherness in the squad these past few seasons without players like that.

I can remember it was rumoured at the time he went to Huddersfield that his wages were something like £80K a week. If true, that could explain the lack of fire from him. £14 million quid later, he's set for life. Probably doesn't fit the Webber/Farke mould in that case.

Edited by Nuff Said

Notice Michael Bailey had an interview with him today- nothing but good things to say about Norwich and Farke specifically. Wonder if it might change a few peoples views on him.

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

Notice Michael Bailey had an interview with him today- nothing but good things to say about Norwich and Farke specifically. Wonder if it might change a few peoples views on him.

Nope. No respect for any player who comes back from injury which the club supported him through and then wants to bail ASAP.

Not sure on Pritchard. If anyone can get him back to the player he was then its farke. What I would say though is that I hope some posters never make a mistake in life and look for a second chance. He may well be saying nice things about Norwich in the hope of returning. We would have to trust sw and df on that one if it were to happen

On 13/05/2021 at 10:04, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I'd have him back, and I'm not joking.

As a squad player on the right wages under Farke, he'd be an asset. Huddersfield was a poor career choice, but in that one season with us he was as influential as Buendia, Maddison and Hoolahan have been. 

At 28 he's still a good age, and if there's still fire in the belly, on a free he'd be a good signing. He's a player primed for our system and would integrate well alongside Buendia, Cantwell and Pukki. 

Hi Alex!

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A player Bournemouth might sign once they’ve sold all prized assets? 

Doesn't happen. They have wealthy owners, remember.

Funny that, another billionaire owner that can't even out-perform Delia this season.

28 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Doesn't happen. They have wealthy owners, remember.

Funny that, another billionaire owner that can't even out-perform Delia this season.

Nice praise from the grandson. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Nice praise from the grandson. 

Is it praise, or criticism of others? Either way, your response suggests you've lost this one 😉

47 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Is it praise, or criticism of others? Either way, your response suggests you've lost this one 😉

I’m peeling potatoes, catch up later. 

3 hours ago, ron obvious said:

I'd have him. Inventive, creative, & very strong for a little 'un.

Yeah, why not? Still only 28, very talented. If it doesn't work out, no biggie. Give him a two-year deal and go from there. Would happily take him back as a squad player to see if he could rediscover his mojo.