The Bristol Nest

Pritchard contract not renewed by Huddersfield

Feel sorry for him in ways but unfortunately it's a prime example of why desperately jumping ship to get back to the Prem isn't always the best option, and one that Webber/Farke seem keen to protect our youngsters from.

Godfrey went to a good club, no problems there. Lewis not so much, but they managed to stay up but it hasn't been a perfect move for him with him being dropped for much of the second half of the season. Hopefully Emi, Todd, Aaron's etc are taking note of this and waiting for the right move at the right time

• Like 1

It's not like the bloke is approaching mid 30's, he's 28 and been released by a struggling championship team. 

I don't think he's going to get another stab at the prem. 

I cannot believe we got 11 million for him. He's their Naismith. 

• Like 6

we got 11 million for him

unbelievable business!

• Haha 4

Can imagine he was on a good wedge a week. However much has he cost udders all in all😏, never really like him so I'm glad 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Feel sorry for him in ways but unfortunately it's a prime example of why desperately jumping ship to get back to the Prem isn't always the best option, and one that Webber/Farke seem keen to protect our youngsters from.

Godfrey went to a good club, no problems there. Lewis not so much, but they managed to stay up but it hasn't been a perfect move for him with him being dropped for much of the second half of the season. Hopefully Emi, Todd, Aaron's etc are taking note of this and waiting for the right move at the right time

Did he desperately jump ship? Or did we just pull an absolute blinder of a sale off?

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

Sad how a career can go off the boil like his did and should be at the height of his career at his age. I wouldn't castigate him as there maybe things we don't know about.  As for the Huddersfield forum and it's abuse, it makes me all the more grateful for this one and that abuse is not tolerated.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

The relevant thread on the Huddersfield board is worth a giggle:

https://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/115799/prichard-appreciation-post

Ooof, that's a proper kicking and little swearing needed.😖

"Good riddance. He will probably miss the exit door on the way out the useless ****."😲😀

Edited by Herman

Incredibly bitter thread this. I dont imagine Webber or the club took a great deal of persuading to accept the £11m.

Credit to Webber for getting the fee he did and then replacing him with a player on a completely different stratosphere for less than half of it.

He could still be a top championship player if he wanted it badly enough.

I usually don't mind when a player leaves to play in a higher division, but it sounds like he was a bit of a d!ck behind the scenes by desperately trying to force through a move - but to then go to Huddersfield Town of all teams, just to get Prem football, showed his desperation. And Webber played a blinder on this one.

What a waste of potential, he could have comfortably been a Premier League player, but chose the quick and easy route to jump ship to a side that was always going to be up against it. Another season with Farke and Maddison and he would have had bigger and better sides in for him.

Could see someone like Peterborough or Hull going in for him as they head back into the championship.

3 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

It's not like the bloke is approaching mid 30's, he's 28 and been released by a struggling championship team. 

I doubt we did.

Lift from their site. Doesn't make good reading if true .

Alex Pritchard, transfer fee, wages and the rest close to £20M in total, just left on a free, 65 games played at a cost of roughly £300K a game, its not as bad as it sounds though he did chip in with 3 goals.

3 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

I think the problem for Hudds is that they bought several ‘Naismiths’ rather than just one.    

• Like 2

A part of me wonders whether location has played a part in his un-happy spell at Huddersfield. 

Maybe if Yorkshire was closer to his home in London, and potentially his family... maybe he would have been more settled and played better? 

Maybe we'll never know, but its definitely been a talent wasted so far. I can see there being clubs after him. Someone like a Derby or Sheff Utd (aware these are reasonably Northern) 

He will have no difficulty finding another Championship club I'm sure, especially on a free and homegrown.

Bit of a mercenary but a good footballer when he puts his mind to it. Needs to graft and not expect everthing on a plate all the while.

• Like 1

I'd have him back, and I'm not joking.

As a squad player on the right wages under Farke, he'd be an asset. Huddersfield was a poor career choice, but in that one season with us he was as influential as Buendia, Maddison and Hoolahan have been. 

At 28 he's still a good age, and if there's still fire in the belly, on a free he'd be a good signing. He's a player primed for our system and would integrate well alongside Buendia, Cantwell and Pukki. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

29 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

As a squad player on the right wages under Farke, he'd be an asset. Huddersfield was a poor career choice, but in that one season with us he was as influential as Buendia, Maddison and Hoolahan have been. 

At 28 he's still a good age, and if there's still fire in the belly, on a free he'd be a good signing. He's a player primed for our system and would integrate well alongside Buendia, Cantwell and Pukki. 

Respectfully, I completely disagree. We're a bit underpowered physically in that area of the park, and that's where in theory the likes of Hernandez and Placheta will help us with their pace on counter-attacks as in the Premier League, we will be on the back foot a lot more, but it also means more space for them to work in compared to threading balls through compacted rows of pulled-back midfielders.

The last thing we need is another fragile dwarf. If anything, we're at least one complete unit / **** short.

47 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I'd rather have Wes back!

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Farke also really rated Pritchard- according to Michael Bailey this was the biggest disagreement the two of them have had at Norwich. While I doubt he's coming back, I've no doubt Farke could get quite a bit out of him. 

In fairness, I'm sure Pritchard won't be signing on the dole, as he checks his bank balance. 

17 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Sad how a career can go off the boil like his did and should be at the height of his career at his age. I wouldn't castigate him as there maybe things we don't know about.  As for the Huddersfield forum and it's abuse, it makes me all the more grateful for this one and that abuse is not tolerated.

This one in particular made me chuckle a bit.  Glad I'm not in that support group:

256903838_Screenshot2021-05-13114922.thumb.png.49443f9f8b204a99c82624147dea3793.png

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Farke also really rated Pritchard- according to Michael Bailey this was the biggest disagreement the two of them have had at Norwich. While I doubt he's coming back, I've no doubt Farke could get quite a bit out of him. 

Much rather we brought Jacob Murphy back if we need a squad player for wide areas, to come off the bench now and again. 

I would have Pritchard over Placheta, but that is not a compliment. 

Pritchard is only being linked to bottom half Championship clubs for a reason, because that's his level now, boat has sailed.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten