See he's left Soton, he's 31 so has 2 or 3 more years and would be a good 'free' transfer to cover for Dimi.

Wages may be huge but I'm sure a signing on fee for his back pocket and sensible wages could work.

Similar sort of vein, but a young player - Eddie Nketiah might be let loose...

Would rather have Plastic Bertrand (well, someone was always going to say it). 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

Apples

• Haha 2

Probably on massive wages and might not want to play second fiddle to the Greek God.

I can see him going somewhere for a last payday, maybe Ipswich? 

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

Probably on massive wages and might not want to play second fiddle to the Greek God.

His wage alone would blow their allowable budget 😆

41 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

And?

Meaning, no thanks from me - though I do see that he refused a contract rather than the club letting him leave.  If Arsenal and Man City are interested, then imo it would just be for the home grown quota and backup to backup.

He's ok, but would rather someone up and coming than someone on the downward part of their career.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

That would be great as that'll finish them financially 

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Aren't they contradictory? 😉 

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He's actually being linked with teams bigger than Southampton, presumably as a backup, so I doubt he'd prepared to come here to play second fiddle on what I'd imagine would be lower wages.

Not sure he would play second fiddle, he'd have more of a chance of playing here than as a season benchwarmer and cup player at Man City or Arsenal.

Depends on his motivation though I guess.

He’s English too which will be attractive to many big clubs needing to bolster domestic quota with an experienced player who has played internationally

8 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Not sure he would play second fiddle, he'd have more of a chance of playing here than as a season benchwarmer and cup player at Man City or Arsenal.

Depends on his motivation though I guess.

Agreed, but my post was based on the OP saying that he'd be cover for Giannoulis.

I can't see us paying a massive wage for Bertrand to come here and be cover, and I can't see us demoting Giannoulis to second choice after spending £7m on him.

As I said, Bertrand is being linked with bigger clubs, presumably due to his homegrown status and free transfer status. He'd be a useful backup for a Europa League level club, or a starter for a lower Premier League team should he prefer.

If Farke doesn't think McCallum is ready for the squad yet, Bertrand would be a great signing. Experienced, England caps, good professional, and can cover the LM position if we want to set up more defensively. As others have said, though, wages and interest from bigger clubs would probably make this unrealistic.

6 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Similar sort of vein, but a young player - Eddie Nketiah might be let loose...

I've mentioned him before a couple of times as being that ideal Pukki back-up.

Different subject though, him being that striker.

The Gunners also have a young, promising striker doing the business at Newcastle currently loaned.

The problem is (if true) the fee:

https://dailycannon.com/2021/05/maitland-niles-nketiah/

£3.6m a year? He was never that good! Don't hear many daarn Saarf raving about him......