He could be our Lundstram. Didn't feature much in Sheffield Utd's Championship promotion but was then a key player in their impressive Premier League season (less so this time round, granted).

19 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

That is , of course all true.

Your mention of Duda raises another issue though.

Farke is his own man who wants his own men. He is clearly ultra-fussy about the character of the players he wants under him.

I might suggest that with Duda it wasn't the player but the person that was rejected. We might surmise the same for Drmic, Leitner and even Amardou. May be a few others.

One notable thing about Farke's reign is that certain players are ruthlessly discarded without apparent reason or fuss. 

Oh! I've completely forgotten Oliveira. DF stamped his mark with immediate effect there.

Possibly, but there are a few leaps of faith there. It was well known we had tried to sign Duda permanently in the summer and then a change of manager meant he was available for loan in January and possibly could have been signed if we stayed up.

He played a fair few of the games he was available for which would suggest Farke did like him. We didn't stay up and presumably that meant we were not as attractive an option as the Bundesliga / couldn't afford his wages etc. I don't believe there was an issue with his attitude, certainly no evidence to suggest it.

Amadou they again stated they wanted to keep but the player wanted to be playing more regularly, and they didn't want to stand in the way of a player that wasn't happy. It's possible he just didn't settle either, which happens.

Leitner is an odd one, Farke knew him and had worked with him before and was almost certainly, you would think, the main reason for bringing him in. He arrived in the January transfer window on loan, quietly impressed and then signed in the summer. The following season he impressed all. The issue appears to have arisen over the Premier League season, perhaps because he was injured then struggled to get back in the side? Either way, it seems to have turned sour for whatever reason. But it isn't as clear cut as others.

Oliveira was clear to all though... you don't do that to your manager and expect to stay. And sadly, he could really have been a top striker if he had stayed and worked under Farke's tutelage. He could have done no worse than Drmic in the premier league, and I suspect he may well have done better. If he had reined his ego in a bit.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Possibly, but there are a few leaps of faith there. It was well known we had tried to sign Duda permanently in the summer and then a change of manager meant he was available for loan in January and possibly could have been signed if we stayed up.

He played a fair few of the games he was available for which would suggest Farke did like him. We didn't stay up and presumably that meant we were not as attractive an option as the Bundesliga / couldn't afford his wages etc. I don't believe there was an issue with his attitude, certainly no evidence to suggest it.

Amadou they again stated they wanted to keep but the player wanted to be playing more regularly, and they didn't want to stand in the way of a player that wasn't happy. It's possible he just didn't settle either, which happens.

Leitner is an odd one, Farke knew him and had worked with him before and was almost certainly, you would think, the main reason for bringing him in. He arrived in the January transfer window on loan, quietly impressed and then signed in the summer. The following season he impressed all. The issue appears to have arisen over the Premier League season, perhaps because he was injured then struggled to get back in the side? Either way, it seems to have turned sour for whatever reason. But it isn't as clear cut as others.

Oliveira was clear to all though... you don't do that to your manager and expect to stay. And sadly, he could really have been a top striker if he had stayed and worked under Farke's tutelage. He could have done no worse than Drmic in the premier league, and I suspect he may well have done better. If he had reined his ego in a bit.

It could be your typical gossip to rank alongside Holt hates Morison, McKenzie knocked out Francis and the Shackell/Ashton affair, but I've heard from two separate sources that Leitner was an arrogant little so and so. He'd regularly talk about what his weekly wage (apparently close to £40k) around players he knew he was earning more than. Once he gets his feet under the table, he quickly starts to alienate people and that certainly looks plausible given what has happened to him at previous clubs.

43 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It could be your typical gossip to rank alongside Holt hates Morison, McKenzie knocked out Francis and the Shackell/Ashton affair, but I've heard from two separate sources that Leitner was an arrogant little so and so. He'd regularly talk about what his weekly wage (apparently close to £40k) around players he knew he was earning more than. Once he gets his feet under the table, he quickly starts to alienate people and that certainly looks plausible given what has happened to him at previous clubs.

If that is true, it would be weird that Farke who had worked with Leitner at Dortmund for two years would push Norwich to sign him, especially when player's character is regarded as a very important factor by Norwich when considering transfers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If that is true, it would be weird that Farke who had worked with Leitner at Dortmund for two years would push Norwich to sign him, especially when player's character is regarded as a very important factor by Norwich when considering transfers.

Could be a Balotelli-esque move, Farke probably knew Leitner could be awkward but thought his skills would be so useful that the team could be built around him. Didn't turn out like that, and Leitner was indeed a bit underpowered to thrive in that role in England.

10 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

A valid point. But then again his Dortmund career was when he was 19 to 24 and very much a small fish in a large pond, it's quite possible that arrogance (or hefty wage) hadn't yet materialised.

Regardless, I suspect if you asked present day Farke what he thought of Leitner now, there would be a marked difference to what Farke 2018 would answer. And the reason for that difference does not appear to be down to on pitch issues, as he did a good job to all intents and purposes.

Edited by canarydan23

On 14/05/2021 at 01:08, BroadstairsR said:

That is , of course all true.

Your mention of Duda raises another issue though.

Farke is his own man who wants his own men. He is clearly ultra-fussy about the character of the players he wants under him.

I might suggest that with Duda it wasn't the player but the person that was rejected. We might surmise the same for Drmic, Leitner and even Amardou. May be a few others.

One notable thing about Farke's reign is that certain players are ruthlessly discarded without apparent reason or fuss. 

Last fall I was concerned Farke was a bit too hard. I've revised my opinion about DF. Now I think he was in very tough situation and perhaps some cultural barriers to deal with. Webber's support was crucial.

He does have sentimental side. He clearly likes Tettey and Vrancic very much and spoke warmly about them.  He's had kind words about Byram too. He's been supportive and patient when a player stumbles despite trying hard - like with Pukki. The conflict with Buendia seems to be resolved. Sometimes it takes a strong hand to get the best out of a great player with temperament.

I think Duda's problem was his price for a relegated club. His loan just didn't work out and it's not necessarily his or Farke's fault. It takes time to adapt to a new team let alone to a new team mid-season in relegation struggle in a new league.

Interestingly Rupp took to Norwich like duck to water. He's a remarkably adaptive player, even if he doesn't stand out in any particular domain; a recipe for becoming underrated! Next season he'll be a very decent insurance policy for midfield.