I thought for a while, early in the season that he looked like one of our better players which surprised me after his uninspiring half a season in the Prem for us. So wondered who believes he can do a job for us next season, especially as we may have to change our defensive shape a little more in certain games. Worth holding onto after some promise or get rid as he’s out of contract June ‘22?

He’s been inconsistent and I really haven’t seen enough of him. I can’t see him being anything more than a squad player but has pre season to prove himself.

Im not even sure where his best position is. He looked pretty good next to Skipp but then that was in the Champ. And further forward he looked a bit clunky. 

I wasn't surprised he came good - I think people forgot he had come back from a serious injury at Hoffenheim and hadn't played much since then. Throw in that he was being played out of position in a team short of confidence as a newcomer and frankly, what would you expect?

Even then, there were some nice things about his play - his awareness of his defensive responsibilities and his work rate both in and out of possession as he was always looking to make himself available for short passes and to move the ball on at some pace. The more he got to play with his team mates, the more accurate his passing became as he began to get used to how they play. He showed himself to be a very decent passer indeed this season. Not necessarily incisive like Vrancic, but a player who concerned himself with a constant stream of telling passes, rather than having an interest in a Hollywood one.

He should be a decent squad player for a couple of years yet. My concern would be how injury-prone that bad injury has left him, as he seems prone to hamstring problems.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Do do agree with you there TGS, exactly, in fact. I would add I have issues with "that type of player" wearing the number 7 shirt. #oldschool

I think it was @Bethnal Yellow and Green who said Rupp actually started his career as an old-school winger, but injuries set him back a bit. Nevertheless, you can see he still carries plenty of pace - he may well be our best central midfielder in terms of combining the ability to turn a ball over and beat an opposing press as he's not a bad dribbler and he still has a very healthy turn of speed, as Skipp's goal against Brum showed after Rupp forced an error and just pinned his ears back on the resulting counter.

Sure, we're not going to compare him to Placheta or Hernandez (I suspect he's with Hanley in the group just behind), but he's several miles ahead of Vrancic. Also, the senior experience he carries with proven Bundesliga outfits would probably make him a mentor of choice for younger guns too. Suspect he could be a quiet, but authoritative voice in that dressing room.

Assuming they can get to the bottom of his injury I’m pretty sure we will be a much different player to the one we saw in his first six months, as with all foreign players he took time to settle here and as well as coming back from the Hoffenheim injury he was playing in a side who were really struggling. He looked extremely useful at the beginning of this season just gone and if he gets a good pre season under his belt he’ll be important for us next season with his experience and composure. 

I really like Lukas Rupp in our team.

He formed an excellent partnership with Ollie Skipp and thought he did well even when moved further forward. Once he gets into a game he becomes one of our stronger players however, the litmus test will be in the PL.

Sorrensen and Rupp in central midfield in the PL?   It's not ideal but certainly not a proposition that worries me too greatly. 

• Like 1

I certainly can't see any reason to get rid of him, as he looked much better this season after getting a run in his best position. Obviously he was poor last season in the top flight, but he isn't a winger and it was clearly hard for any new player coming into that team at the back end of last season.

I think we'll be in real trouble if he ends up being a regular starter at Premier League level, but he'll be a useful player to have in the squad.

Rupp was in good form just before his injury and I'm sure he'll play his part over the course of the season. A no thrills player indeed but handy for games that need a handle on midfield or perhaps to see out a game. His versatility is a big plus too with so many midfielders leaving this summer

I like him and he's a decent squad player but he lacks the height, strength and pace that we're looking for in that position. As others have mentioned, his injury record isn't great but fingers crossed he can stay available next season.

Good player who a lot on here went OTT on the criticism front after half a season 

I thought he was solid earlier in the season before his injury and then was outstanding at Forrest away where we tore them to shreds for 45 minutes. Tricky one, it seems he could be a good player if was able to get a run of fitness and games under his belt. Just had really managed that yet for us.

Rupps one that I'd be OK giving him another bash at the Premier, can't imagine he would be first choice if everyone's fit anyway. Similarly I wouldn't shed a tear if we sold him. 

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Squad/backup player only in Prem. 

I think I agree. But what a back up to have. From the bench, he can play on the wing, in midfield, as a number ten or as right back. His experience is also really valuable.

For that reason, I'd like to see him stay for next season.

He lacked composure in PL, playing in the Champs without crowds probably helped him a bit. Will be interesting to see how he copes when the pressure is on again. But, I will say that after doubting him from those initial games, he does have ability, never doubted his work rate. I thought his performances in the home games I watched this year were very good, shifting ball nicely with a turn of pace. I also wonder if Dowell is a player that might struggle under pressure.

He's a solid player who can cover multiple positions when needed- basically the perfect guy to have on the bench most weeks.

• Like 2

He's an excellent option to have. We just haven't quite seen him at full flow yet. He was getting there earlier this season before injury hit. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the Prem.

Before Rupp got his injury he was one of the best players in the team and had good numbers in both defensive and offensive actions. When he first got injured and while McLean was getting back to full fitness Norwich really missed Rupp, but overall McLean was better this season. 

Lucas will be a great option from the bench, especially if Norwich are trying to see out games. He is an experienced player but unlikely he could do a full season without some sort of injury. I really hope Norwich move away from signing players who are coming back off serous injuries - as even if they can get back previous form there just won’t be the time next season to nurse them back into form. 

• Like 3

Love Rupp - though he was better than Kenny for the majority of the season, and its fair to say that Kenny's excellent latter season form could be due to being pushed by Rupp all season. But as you say the injuries are an issue.

As a starter in central midfield, don't think he has the natural abilities at EPL level, i.e. power, pace, agility and his ball playing abilities are adequate rather than top drawer sufficient to make the difference in games.   

In those areas, he is very similar to Kenny McLean and they are both better squad options than any of Tettey (later years), Trybull, Vrancic,, Leitner, Amadou etc....   We still have no idea what Jacob's capable of in central midfield so that has to be a long shot for next season!   (His top level experience is about 16 games and all out of position).

Effectively, we still need at least 3 new players in midfield who can enable us to compete physically and free up Emi and Todd for more offensive work.   Skipp hopefully, plus two more capable starters and to cover injuries.     

Edited by ged in the onion bag

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I really hope Norwich move away from signing players who are coming back off serous injuries - as even if they can get back previous form there just won’t be the time next season to nurse them back into form. 

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only reason we signed players coming from injury was primarily because they were either cheap or free having been outcast from their previous team? We were paying off debt. Now there's supposedly money to spend, but really how much? You mention time, is this in the view of vying to stay up this coming PL season, because, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, if we believe the hyperbole of Webber, we're in the bottom rungs of being a top 26 club, therefore time doesn't come into it if that injured player fits both the playing metrics and fee. 

All our midfield players have adapted well to DF's style. I don't think Rupp is any better or any worse than the others in his ability to keep our style of football flowing.

I think what we will need is greater pace to our game in the EPL. I think we have players with enough skill on the ball for the transition to a faster pace. And Rupp is fully equipped for that. But we will need greater options particularly if we lose Emi and Ollie.

Pushing for a first team place and only kept out my injuries and the excellent form of skipp and McLean. 

Solid squad player for next season and a midfielder with legs. I don't think he is exceptional at one thing, but a decent all round with an engine. 

Thing is, we won't get any serious money for him and I think we would struggle to find as good as for the small fee we would get

Another one who has a habit of picking up niggly injuries.

Fit for 4 weeks, out injured for 6, then repeat.

On 11/05/2021 at 21:15, TheGunnShow said:

I wasn't surprised he came good - I think people forgot he had come back from a serious injury at Hoffenheim and hadn't played much since then. Throw in that he was being played out of position in a team short of confidence as a newcomer and frankly, what would you expect?

Even then, there were some nice things about his play - his awareness of his defensive responsibilities and his work rate both in and out of possession as he was always looking to make himself available for short passes and to move the ball on at some pace. The more he got to play with his team mates, the more accurate his passing became as he began to get used to how they play. He showed himself to be a very decent passer indeed this season. Not necessarily incisive like Vrancic, but a player who concerned himself with a constant stream of telling passes, rather than having an interest in a Hollywood one.

He should be a decent squad player for a couple of years yet. My concern would be how injury-prone that bad injury has left him, as he seems prone to hamstring problems.

Not only that but people seem to forget that he actually started off relatively well. He had a solid game against Spurs in his first match including hitting the post.

He started 8 games and was a sub in a further 4. That in the tail end of a season which included 'operation restart'. Anyone that judged him overly on the 1/3 of the season he was actually involved in without considering he was previously injured and had not played in the English leagues before needs to ask themselves why they expect every player to be an instant hit.

Iwan Roberts was not an instant hit - yet he became one of the key components of our sides over several seasons and a club legend. Goss had to fight his way into our team and yet scored some of the most iconic goals of the last 30years for our club.

Hernandez and Stiepermann hardly set the world alight and both attracted some negative comments and reviews. Again, both turned into instrumental players in the following promotion campaign.

I suspect if we had been able to keep him, Duda would have turned out to be decent with a pre season and experience of English football behind him too.

• Like 2

That is , of course all true.

Your mention of Duda raises another issue though.

Farke is his own man who wants his own men. He is clearly ultra-fussy about the character of the players he wants under him.

I might suggest that with Duda it wasn't the player but the person that was rejected. We might surmise the same for Drmic, Leitner and even Amardou. May be a few others.

One notable thing about Farke's reign is that certain players are ruthlessly discarded without apparent reason or fuss. 

Oh! I've completely forgotten Oliveira. DF stamped his mark with immediate effect there.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Agree with everything @chicken says there. Many people expect new signings from foreign countries to just slot in and be brilliant from the word go but it doesn't work like that. More than one ex professional pundit has said that players will need a season or Jan-May and then a pre season to acclimatise, adapt and show their potential. One even suggested many will need more than a year with covid going on (in relation to Werner and Havertz IIRC). 

• Like 1