Sign in to follow this  
Icecream Snow

O/T Richard Keogh wins dismissal case against Derby

Just now, Nuff Said said:

I’ve seen worse TBH. It’s a jewel if you like real ale pubs.

It's no Coventry, granted. 🍻

9 minutes ago, kirku said:

Sorry, a fine city it is not

Can't be as grotty as large swathes of Wycombe. And I come from Bolton, so I know what a s*h*i*thole looks like.

• Haha 1

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Can't be as grotty as large swathes of Wycombe. And I come from Bolton, so I know what a s*h*i*thole looks like.

I've unanimously decided that Coventry is the worst city in the country based on very little aside from a couple of business overnighters.

Just now, kirku said:

I've unanimously decided that Coventry is the worst city in the country based on very little aside from a couple of business overnighters.

Can't speak for Coventry. Wolverhampton looked f-o-o-king grim when I did the Birmingham and Black Country half-mara back in 2012.

Someone on an old boxing forum I used to frequent said "Coventry might not be the end of the world, but it's a grand place from which to witness it!"

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

But his action didn't directly bring about his injury. That was the negligence of the driver. So you cannot turn around and say "Keogh got himself injured so we don't want to pay him" when you are going to pay the person directly responsible for his injury.

He could actually sue the driver for personal injury and almost certainly win. In tort law the chain of causation matters and Keogh getting into the car drunk to getting injured is two steps along the chain and will be disregarded. The driver's negligence was the direct cause of the incident that injured him.

Derby were motivated by greed only, and the courts have rightly judged them poorly. 

Again I’m not privy to the actual law implications. These are just my general thoughts on the situation.

IMO of course unfortunate for Keogh that he came out of the crash worse than the others, but I don’t think Derby’s reaction was purely motivated by greed, or without morals. And I think the injury does justify the different treatment - they offered him a reduced salary and then sacked him when he refused to take it.  

Obviously it was the driver who crashed the car, but it was his decision to involve himself in a stupid and illegal situation. If I was to get myself in a similar spot I wouldn’t blame the driver, I’d blame myself for being an irresponsible ****. IMO getting in the car knowing the driver is over the limit is as bad as being the driver.

I know this isn’t how it’s looked at in the courts, but even accepting the law treatment, I can’t see how he deserves a full settlement for all lost wages when he’s played at two different clubs since - as well as being totally at fault for involving himself in that situation. 

Would you accept a place as a passenger in a car knowing full well that the driver had been drinking? I know I wouldn't, and it's not like these guys can't afford a taxi if necessary, so I'd argue that Keogh showed incredibly poor judgment in not only getting in the car, but letting his teammate drive under those circumstances as well.

Was it directly his fault he got injured as a result - no, but if he'd done the sensible thing NONE of them would have been getting fined or injured to begin with and would all have gone home safely in a taxi(s).

On 15/05/2021 at 17:00, kirku said:

It's no Coventry, granted. 🍻

Coventry is indeed an absolute shítehole and no mistake