https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-kenny-mclean-injury-scotland-euros-blow-7961780

I'm gutted for him, to be honest. He's 29 now so this could've been the only chance he'll ever get to play at a major tournament and he's going to miss it.

He's touch and go for the start of the new season too, and this might make our need for a couple of new midfielders even more urgent.

That is utterly terrible news, the poor bloke was so looking forward to the euros and we were looking forward to seeing him there too. He must be utterly gutted, so cruel being that it happened in the last game when we had everything sown up too. Get well soon Kenny.

How awful for him. He must be gutted. 

Why does this always happen to players of ours who look like getting to a summer tournament? Didn't it happen to Greeno before 2006 and I'm sure John Ruddy got injured before one too. Plus is there any news on Pukki's injury? 

That's a proper ****ter for him!

Hopefully it is just 12 weeks and he's back ready for another crack at the prem. There's always World Cup 2022 for him to aim for still.

10 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

How awful for him. He must be gutted. 

Why does this always happen to players of ours who look like getting to a summer tournament? Didn't it happen to Greeno before 2006 and I'm sure John Ruddy got injured before one too. Plus is there any news on Pukki's injury? 

Good point actually, I think Green ruptured his groin just before the World Cup and Ruddy broke a finger in training for Euro 2012. Both would've likely gone as the number three goalkeeper.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Thinking back to the tackle it was certainly full-blooded, defender got the ball and it was in the box so I guess the ref didn't feel that it was a foul even though he went in at speed and followed through on the player?

Terrible news for him.

An important cog for Scotland and an important one for us to start the season who will now be in recovery.

We know we need 1 if not 2 players to challenge, at a high level, for that defensive midfield position and for them to get settled with how we play very quickly. Now we may look at another addition if we feel Rupp and Sorenson are not right if McLean injury takes longer or if complications happen.

Deeply sad news for Kenny and onet hat will give him fight for next season, let's hope for a speedy recovery.

But also our off the field recruitment may now have to add an extra midfield option who is ready to be in a first 11 for a Premier league campaign 

Last game of the season, title won, Sorensen on the bench wanting the minutes...you do start questioning the decision.

But it could happen any time in any game. Injuries are part of football. 

Desperately sad for Kenny. 

Tough for him, tough for Scotland.

Agreed, we will need midfield replacements in before the start of the season. With no Skipp, Tettey, Vrancic and possibly Rupp we are very thin on the ground.

This sucks on a number of levels. One for McLean, absolutely gutted for the lad. Second, Scotland in the Euros as he played such a pivotal role on pitch and to replace a personality like that in the dressing room is going to be near impossible. And thirdly for Norwich and our pre season prep. It’s so annoying, I know these injuries happen at every club but because our margin for error is so fine these kinds of things can scupper a season for a club like ours as we saw in the last Prem outing.

Edited by Danke bitte
Too many seasons

7 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Did he HAVE to play in that dead rubber?

What were we supposed to do? Just play no-one in case they get injured?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

No more or less than anyone else - did you want us to play our youth team or something?

I’d actually  say yes he did - with Skipp and Rupp both injured, and Kenny having played something like the last 20 games it would have been utterly daft to drop him.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Just sods law unfortunately, Kenny would have wanted to play and the challenge was ridiculous, yes he won the ball but he used excessive force to follow through Kenny with. Cannot understand why that wasn't a penalty and a card at the very least, referee bottled it. VAR would have given it.

Absolutely gutted for Kenny, deserved to go to the Euros. Let's hope Scotland somehow make it to the World Cup instead!

Edited by AJ

Gutted for him! 

I was thinking about him playing in the game and I wouldn’t be surprised if he Hanley and Krul were given the choice and wanted to play.

Sounds like he won’te involved in pre  season properly either which is less than ideal too. Speedy recovery Kenny! 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

8 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

So Farke should have dropped Kenny, Grant and Teemu in case they got injured? Last time I checked we weren’t some sort of support system for national sides, I don’t think that’s changed.

36 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

So Farke should have dropped Kenny, Grant and Teemu in case they got injured? Last time I checked we weren’t some sort of support system for national sides, I don’t think that’s changed.

And Krul too. (and Teemu was already injured). 

• Like 1

Well, at least he can't get injured while playing for Scotland 🙃 Horrible news though, just shows we need some serious reinforcments in the middle now. Sorenson almost untested, Tettey and Vracnic leaving, as is Skipp..

My reaction at the time was that tackle was reckless/dangerous and should possibly have been a red card based on today's standards. i've not seen it again since so will be interested to see the highlights.

Gutted for Kenny who has played so well this season. 

I don't understand Barnsley's mentality having already qualified for the playoffs, in a meaningless match they committed 23 fouls.

• Like 1

Rough for him after a great season. Also means we've got a lot of work to do with central midfield this summer- Skipp, Tettey and Vrancic all gone and now Kenny likely to miss pre season at least.

A real shame he will miss the Euros, and this is likely to kill all momentum for the start of the season too - he had been in the form of his life since coming back in for Rupp. 

I can already picture the moaning when he gets back into the team in early September and struggles to play as well as he had been due to missing all of pre-season...

The Lord Mayor has always been massively underrated by many / most Norwich fans since we signed him. His loss for Scotland is significant and at his age you do wonder whether he will get another chance at a major tournament (currently a play off spot looks most likely for World Cup next year). As already mentioned, he seems set to miss most / all of pre season which is a real worry for us (or should be). Simply 'ups' the emphasis on quality recruitment over the next few weeks.

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

If McClean is not ready for pre-season it impacts against us as well.

Neither do I see it as  supporting international sides ... it would have really shown  consideration for the players anxious to play in the tournament.

McClean now misses out by picking up an injury in a game which meant next to nothing.

Let's hope, as some have suggested, that the players had a choice.

Edited by BroadstairsR