Sign in to follow this  
Pukki Bear

What happened to Omotoye?

When Tyrese Omotoye was loaned out to Swindon, I fully expected him to make the first team on a regular basis. He had performed really well for the U-23's, and it's not as if Swindon are a great team, even if their strikers are half decent. Anyone got any ideas why he sat on the bench almost all season, and got no minutes at all in the last month? Seems a bit pointless (like Swindon, who got relegated) if he doesn't play!

6 minutes ago, Pukki Bear said:

When Tyrese Omotoye was loaned out to Swindon, I fully expected him to make the first team on a regular basis. He had performed really well for the U-23's, and it's not as if Swindon are a great team, even if their strikers are half decent. Anyone got any ideas why he sat on the bench almost all season, and got no minutes at all in the last month? Seems a bit pointless (like Swindon, who got relegated) if he doesn't play!

The risk of sending him to a club thats on the verge of being relegated is one of two things happen. The first is that he hits the ground running and immediately has a positive impact and therefore is given ample game time even if he isn't scoring every game. The flip side being, with a manager under pressure they are not going to be willing to give him time to develop when its their neck on the line, especially for a young player who isn't theirs. 

No doubt swindon hoped he would come in and have enough about him to get a goal in the first couple of games, but when that didn't happen then they would have left themselves open to even more criticism playing an inexperienced loan signing whilst fighting for survival.

Edited by birchfest

Basically he couldn't get past Brett Pitman into the Swindon first team. Pittman is 33 and an incredibly experienced striker at Championship and League 1 level having played over 700 first team games in his career.

Although Tyrese didn't play much football at Swindon, which is obviously very frustrating, hopefully he will have learnt a lot from the experience. 

Pretty sure I read he was doing ok and then was late for a team meeting, subsequently benched, never really clawed it back.

Not sure if that's from official media or from friends in Swindon.

All part of the learning curve. Maybe Cambridge for the next season?

From what I read on the regular news about our players out on loan it sounded like the most he really did there was warm the bench, although I do still think it was worth sending him out, as I couldn’t see him doing any more than that if he stayed here.

I think Mason 47’s suggestion about sending him out to Cambridge next season is a good idea - I reckon he would get good game time there, just like McCallum at Coventry this season

Edited by HazzaJet

Alex Neil’s interview was quite revealing, I didn’t realise that in some cases young players are sent out on loan not because they’ll be playing 90 mins week in week out, but because learning how to survive in and around a first team dressing room was almost more important to their development.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Pretty sure I read he was doing ok and then was late for a team meeting, subsequently benched, never really clawed it back.

Not sure if that's from official media or from friends in Swindon.

All part of the learning curve. Maybe Cambridge for the next season?

Yep I think I think it was either Neil Adams or Steve Weaver who mentioned it on the all in Yellow Podcast. He featured a couple of times before that, so it was his own fault. Lesson learned, I guess.

11 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Alex Neil’s interview was quite revealing, I didn’t realise that in some cases young players are sent out on loan not because they’ll be playing 90 mins week in week out, but because learning how to survive in and around a first team dressing room was almost more important to their development.

Exactly this and some sink, some swim. I can't imagine most people thought Skipp would come here and play every minute, the idea was for him to play here and learn from people like Tettey. The same with Maddison at Aberdeen and Cantwell in Holland, but both broke through and made it work

2 hours ago, AJ said:

Exactly this and some sink, some swim. I can't imagine most people thought Skipp would come here and play every minute, the idea was for him to play here and learn from people like Tettey. The same with Maddison at Aberdeen and Cantwell in Holland, but both broke through and made it work

There's very little chance Spurs would've sent Skipp to us, if he didn't have a very good chance of starting. Skipp even mentioned it himself in an interview (maybe ACN?) where he needed to play and did a lot of his own research into prospective clubs.

Likewise for Maddison and Cantwell - we didn't send them away to warm the bench. They went there to play. Cantwell spoke about it recently (sounded like his agent wasn't all that keen), he basically bet on himself going to the Dutch 2nd division and making an impact - which he duly did and the rest is history.

19 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

He reached level 36 and evolved into Omobamidele. 

Going on his shirt number he's clearly been at the Rare Candies since then, too....

I look forward to him evolving into Joe Gomez eventually.

Edited by FatCanary
more PokeBants