Sign in to follow this  
sheded

why the 5 on a trot win spell ?

I don`t think anyone has satisfactorily  explained   that little run we had in December !   how about  a re-run of the  possible  reasons   in the light of  of whats happened since  ? 

Some factors spring to my mind  , they are :-

1,  McVeigh   suddenly   finding " form " 

2,  Safri  dominating  the midfield  after coming back from injury .

3,  The sudden  employment of a " sports psychologist " .

Obviously  this  is not the end of the story !   but  , for the sake of argument  , I will just   give my viewpoints  on those three factors......

1,   McVeigh  , strange that he should  suddenly  start giving his all   prior  to the January transfer window !    was he showboating to attract offers ?   ....

2,  Safri certainly timed his recovery  from injury  to perfection  !  with the African games looming  he had  a month to  convince Morocco   that he was in form  and fit ! .....

3,   Well , there`s a smell  of desperation afoot when  a club resorts to voodoo !!    who knows what harm this mindcruncher has done to the delicate minds  of our players ?    he was given carte blanche to interview each player individually ,  does Nigel know what kind of crap he`s been feeding the players ? 

[quote user="sheded"]

I don`t think anyone has satisfactorily  explained   that little run we had in December !   how about  a re-run of the  possible  reasons   in the light of  of whats happened since  ? 

Some factors spring to my mind  , they are :-

1,  McVeigh   suddenly   finding " form " 

2,  Safri  dominating  the midfield  after coming back from injury .

3,  The sudden  employment of a " sports psychologist " .

Obviously  this  is not the end of the story !   but  , for the sake of argument  , I will just   give my viewpoints  on those three factors......

1,   McVeigh  , strange that he should  suddenly  start giving his all   prior  to the January transfer window !    was he showboating to attract offers ?   ....

2,  Safri certainly timed his recovery  from injury  to perfection  !  with the African games looming  he had  a month to  convince Morocco   that he was in form  and fit ! .....

3,   Well , there`s a smell  of desperation afoot when  a club resorts to voodoo !!    who knows what harm this mindcruncher has done to the delicate minds  of our players ?    he was given carte blanche to interview each player individually ,  does Nigel know what kind of crap he`s been feeding the players ? 

[/quote]

plymouth had a 5 game unbeaton run this season..  It happens.  Charlton wre top of the premiership after 5 games... Just a few results..  its not as if we were playing teams off the park at the time

3. There is nothing "voodoo" about sports psychology. Most top teams and indivduals use a psychologist inclduing the world cup winning rugby and the ashes cricketers. Also Kelly Holmes claims here success was partly due to a Psychologist, and wishes she had consulted one earlier.

[quote user="No 9 - Bly"]

3. There is nothing "voodoo" about sports psychology. Most top teams and indivduals use a psychologist inclduing the world cup winning rugby and the ashes cricketers. Also Kelly Holmes claims here success was partly due to a Psychologist, and wishes she had consulted one earlier.

[/quote]

Assuming our sports psychologist  is still employed by our club , maybe he can explain   why  we havent won this year ?   and are playing such crap ?    or is he , like most of his ilk  ,  keeping a low profile when his  theories goes tits up  ?? 

Add to the other reasons a loss in shooting power of the teams we played, and in one (- Bramall Lane), gifts which we accepted gratefully.The Sheffield performance was good, but we were overrun in midfield. In other games it could have gone either way. So perhaps we need to add the element of luck!

[quote user="Salopian"]Add to the other reasons a loss in shooting power of the teams we played, and in one (- Bramall Lane), gifts which we accepted gratefully.The Sheffield performance was good, but we were overrun in midfield. In other games it could have gone either way. So perhaps we need to add the element of luck![/quote]

I can`t argue about that Salop !   fact is , there`s a whole bunch of clubs and managers out there  , who can thank * that luck is  a lady to them !!   

Sheded - I get the distinct impression you don''t think too much of sports psychologists and the like - care to elaborate on why?  They have become an important part of sport at all levels and all disciplines, as the examples above have shown.

If I might suggest a reason that sports psychologists are now used, even though you did''nt ask me for my two pennorth.

IMHO it''s because the younger generation are more in need of some one to point out the obvious to them so that occasionally the penny drops so they can say "Eureka my poor performance is because my daddy left home when I was young". "or some other reason, like you only get results if you put the work in.  The shrink dominates all sorts of circles in the USA, its a multi billion dollar industry.  It''s bound to be the norm in all walks of life over here before long. 

It has become another branch of councelling, which us older blokes like YC (sorry)and I were awake enough to realise that good personal performances come from the drive within.  We never looked for someone else to blame, we just get on with the business in hand.