Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Toney breaks Championship record for most goals scored

But when do we give them the Championship trophy you said they deserved?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ian said:

But when do we give them the Championship trophy you said they deserved?!

They did at the time, they were better than us and then fell apart as they tend to do. Sadly I'm not mystic meg, but hey as we all know you are always right and not once have ever made any predictions that are wrong eh?

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

They did at the time, they were better than us and then fell apart as they tend to do. Sadly I'm not mystic meg, but hey as we all know you are always right and not once have ever made any predictions that are wrong eh?

Err I think the point was that they didn't deserve the trophy because there was still nearly half of the season to go.

No problem with people making predictions that prove incorrect, but the suggestion they deserved the trophy because they were on a decent run was disrespectful to the eventual Champions!

Anyway, prefer to focus on Norwich's achievements this season rather than those of Brentford's and their players so going to watch the celebrations!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You could have just held your hands up instead and acknowledged you got that wrong!    They were on a par perhaps going forward but they never controlled games as well as we did and had a far inferior defence.   Case rested!    To be fair, if Teemu hadn't missed so many sitters they wouldn't have caught us in the first place.   

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

You could have just held your hands up instead and acknowledged you got that wrong!    They were on a par perhaps going forward but they never controlled games as well as we did and had a far inferior defence.   Case rested!    To be fair, if Teemu hadn't missed so many sitters they wouldn't have caught us in the first place.   

To be fair I did get it wrong- Saying otherwise would be denying reality 😂

30 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Expected d!ck response. This guy spouts some absolute tosh and ignores or deflects to apparent humour every time he is called on it.

Its responses like this that make me believe hes definitely no older than about 11.

4 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Expected d!ck response. This guy spouts some absolute tosh and ignores or deflects to apparent humour every time he is called on it.

Its responses like this that make me believe hes definitely no older than about 11.

How am I 'deflecting' when I have already pointed out I was wrong? What exactly do you want me to say? I WAS WRONG, MY PREDICTIONS WAS INCORRECT. I AM SORRY TO HAVE UPSET YOU BY BEING WRONG. YOU ARE RIGHT AND I AM WRONG.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How am I 'deflecting' when I have already pointed out I was wrong? What exactly do you want me to say? I WAS WRONG, MY PREDICTIONS WAS INCORRECT. I AM SORRY TO HAVE UPSET YOU BY BEING WRONG. YOU ARE RIGHT AND I AM WRONG.

That's alright then....

7 minutes ago, South Sider said:

He's at least 17, as he got knicked speeding on the way home from school, hurrying  for a 6pm ko.😉😇👍

It's an impressive return however he has scored 9 penalties this year, bringing him down to 22 non penalty goals. That's 1 more than Pukki and 1 less than Armstrong. Fairly sure that Pukki's 29 non penalty goals in 18/19 is a record, a truly astonishing return.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

He's at least 17, as he got knicked speeding on the way home from school, hurrying  for a 6pm ko.😉😇👍

Hey, my record is clean! Well, mostly..

Couldn’t agree more Lake District Canary. Couldn’t give to hoots 

Pukki's had two seasons in the Championship and won the title on both occasions 😀

Nice achievement for Toney but pretty irrelevant if he doesn't get them up in the playoffs.

45 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Strong words Morty. 

• Haha 1

Agree, penalties really shouldn’t count for those statistics.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean, a goal is a goal end of the day regardless of how you score it

Very true, we had a player who only played a few games for us and managed to score once.........off his backside.......I think his name was David Hodgson.........before your time I know 😂.........

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Strong words Morty. 

Bloody hell, talk about getting it wrong big time 🤣

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Bloody hell, talk about getting it wrong big time 🤣

Leeds stayed up, want another bet on them next season? 

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Leeds stayed up, want another bet on them next season? 

Sheffield United were even worse than I suggested they'd be. And West Brom, well, I said Bilic's comments that people like you lapped up at the time might look a bit silly and he didn't even make it through the season.

Got Leeds wrong though - certainly no guarantees they stay up next season especially if Bielsa leaves.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Sheffield United were even worse than I suggested they'd be. And West Brom, well, I said Bilic's comments that people like you lapped up at the time might look a bit silly and he didn't even make it through the season.

Got Leeds wrong though - certainly no guarantees they stay up next season especially if Bielsa leaves.

You picked that many teams to go down you were always going to get one correct🙂

Toney has been an absolute gem and one of those you wish we might have unearthed given he came from just down the road! Incredible achievement to score that many in his first season at this level, but his team haven't lived up to their end of the bargain. Can't see them winning the playoffs personally so expect him to the up somewhere like Brighton or Southampton maybe

Thing is with penalties is more about lack of scoring from open play. How many did Pukki take this season?

Reminds me of Andy Johnson... used to throw himself to the ground as soon as a boot lace touched him in the penalty area and then would have an impressive goal tally after taking all of the penalties for his team. I think he scored 12 pens in one premier league season or something equally as daft.

It's not just his goals. He has a very impressive assist record as well. His penalty conversion rate is ridiculous 93% - 14/15 over his career. The man is a terminator.

RANT:

Preferring open play goals over penalties is a mistake that judging by general discussions I've heard over years is largely based on two fallacies:

1 People think a pen is "a sure thing". It is not. Best takers are put on the job and 1/4 attemps fail; xG 0,75. Remember Baggio? 

2 People mistake penalty shoot-outs with awarded penalties. They are completely different. Penalties are awarded when defensive side interrupts a process that has exceptionally high probability of ending in the net. That is why defenders foul inside box! A pen should be counted as an extension of a decisive offensive process.

Awarded penalties are counted on equal basis in statistics. They can be separated for analysis purposes, but NOT because pens are less valuable. Even journalists who should know better routinely perpetrate the fallacy. Let us stop it.

/RANT

The only reason why Ivan Toney isn't #1 player in Champs this season is Emi Buendia. Emi is that good. I have no idea how a team can have Ivan Toney and not be a shoo-in for PL. Brentford ex-Toney can't be very good.

If a player takes all the penalties for a team, that will include ones he didn’t win and ones where it was not a high chance of scoring. And a 75% chance of scoring is much better than you get in open play almost all of the time. Hence I would still compare non penalty stats for strikers.

The fact that Toney did get one more from open play than Pukki shows he is a really good striker and Brentford were over dependent on him. Be interesting to see how they do assuming they stay down , I have a feeling he’s near the end of his contract? 

14 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

If a player takes all the penalties for a team, that will include ones he didn’t win and ones where it was not a high chance of scoring. And a 75% chance of scoring is much better than you get in open play almost all of the time. Hence I would still compare non penalty stats for strikers.

The fact that Toney did get one more from open play than Pukki shows he is a really good striker and Brentford were over dependent on him. Be interesting to see how they do assuming they stay down , I have a feeling he’s near the end of his contract? 

He joined them last year on a 5 year contract. If they don’t get promoted and he decides to go, they’ll get big money for him like they have for their last two main strikers. Then they’ll sign another one from lower down and do it all again!