dylanisabaddog

Anyone tempted to watch Rooney relegated?

My finger hovered over the button for a while before I paid for our relatively meaningless game today. The nasty bit of me would love to witness Derby being relegated. The thought that it may be the last game for 2 or 3 of our players swung me in the end. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Well I’ll be watching our game but it’s interesting at the bottom.

I think a win for Derby makes them safe regardless. A win for Rotherham and they’re safe unless Derby win. And a win for Wednesday makes them safe unless Rotherham win! Derby can also draw providing Rotherham fail to win. 

It’s fun to have all the bottom teams still in with a chance. Even Wycombe could survive if they get well into double figures 😂!

Why are all, the fixtures at 12.30 today?

They're not burying the Duke of Edinburgh again are they?

Must be Sky again. Televising Derby and all the other relevant fixtures therefore need to take place at the same time?

• Haha 2

If they do Sky Sports will be beside themselves and it'll be "Breaking News" for the rest of the day. WRDC relegated, I hope so. Come on Sheff Wed, Rhodes to score the winner 😁

22 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Must be Sky again. Televising Derby and all the other relevant fixtures therefore need to take place at the same time?

It happens every season now doesn’t it? All games obviously have to be concurrent to be fair, and I suspect it’s something to do with crowd control that was the original reason for the early start. 
Pre-lockdown feels so long ago, it’s hard to remember what was normal.

Returning to the OP, does this season make Rooney a busted flush as a manager or is there some sort of excuse for the dire performance of Derby this season? Looking at their squad, they should be much higher than they are.

I'm not quite sure why so many are anti-Rooney, but I think Derby-Wednesday will be a great watch. I hope Derby do go down though for their financial fair play loophole exploitation, as well as the fact they'll be tough opponents for Ipswich next season, as opposed to having anything against Rooney.

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

My finger hovered over the button for a while before I paid for our relatively meaningless game today. The nasty bit of me would love to witness Derby being relegated. The thought that it may be the last game for 2 or 3 of our players swung me in the end. 

You aren't alone there. Great to see them relegated

I'll be watching as sadly our game isn't on Sky

Not me, he's one of the best English footballers ever. I take no joy in him struggling.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

It is because at the time of the decision there was the possibility of promotion and relegation being influenced. With relegation it turns out that if Sheff Wed win they could still go down and take Derby with them depending how Rotherham and Wycombe get on. Only right that all teams involved in the escape act start on a level playing field.

Imagine if both Watford and us had been sitting together at the top on the same points and we went and lost at 12.30pm and Watford kicked off at 3pm it would mean they knew only a point would be needed to be Champions. That would hardly have been fair now would it ?

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

Rooney like a few other failures will walk into another job 

Whoever goes down will come straight back next season - League One is dreadful now. Derby in particular will walk it, and it could be the making of Rooney as a manager.

40 minutes ago, AJ said:

I'll be watching as sadly our game isn't on Sky

If you can can afford sky, you can afford a tenner to watch your team on ifollow if you care enough. 

11 minutes ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

If you can can afford sky, you can afford a tenner to watch your team on ifollow if you care enough. 

What an absolute load of presumptuous ****. Don't preach to people about how they choose to spend their money.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Wardogz said:

Not me, he's one of the best English footballers ever. I take no joy in him struggling.

Totally agree.

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm watching both.

Waghorn just nutted the post. Looked nasty.

OTBC

55 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

It is because at the time of the decision there was the possibility of promotion and relegation being influenced. With relegation it turns out that if Sheff Wed win they could still go down and take Derby with them depending how Rotherham and Wycombe get on. Only right that all teams involved in the escape act start on a level playing field.

Imagine if both Watford and us had been sitting together at the top on the same points and we went and lost at 12.30pm and Watford kicked off at 3pm it would mean they knew only a point would be needed to be Champions. That would hardly have been fair now would it ?

Obviously that's the case with teams who are competing with each other, but in other countries (Spain and Italy, for example) they will actually have separate kick off times if matches have no direct effect on each other. 

For example, the games affecting relegation would kick off together, the games related to Champions League qualification in a different slot, and so forth. When there's a game that affects two different things then they will all have the same kick off.

It's clearly 'fairer' to have the entire fixture list kicking off at the same time, but by splitting the relegation/title/European/playoff battles you can watch all of them instead of choosing. 

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I'm watching both.

Waghorn just nutted the post. Looked nasty.

OTBC

I hope the post is OK. 

• Haha 1

Watching it now, I've got Sky and didn't fancy £10 for our game. Can see why they are both near the bottom though.