Were you ever embarrassed admitting you support NCFC?  More for exiles I guess but once you state it the response is quite positive, I think we’re ok to support. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Nah, I've been miles away from Norwich pretty much all my life. There's often the "someone has to I suppose" if I mention I support the club, but mostly people view it quite well, usually mentioning Delia obviously. 

I think apart from the real plastic or glory hunting types, many people are quite interested if someone supports a non-top end team. I know I am far more interested in talking football with someone who says they support a smaller club rather than say Man U. 

Edited by Banjoman
Grammar
  • Like 1

Never, but I think I'm prone to adding "for my sins" after confessing.

Funnily enough I once met a young lady some long time ago. When I asked her where she was from she stated Barnsley in such a downbeat tone and with such extreme embarrassment that I have remembered that moment ever since.

With Barnsley's recent revival in football fortunes it has again sprung to mind.

Barnsley is not that bad a place is it? Mind you the incident  was in a pub in Ward End, Birmingham, so it might well be. 

Now if I supported Barnsley FC then I think I might be embarrassed.

As for "Pride of Anglia?" I'm happy to leave that daft, meaningless statement to the binners.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Never embarrassed to support say I support Norwich no.  The odd supporter can make me cringe though on canarycall... 🙂

I've never been embarrassed about it, and to be honest, I've normally found the reaction to be positive. We seem to be quite a likeable club for neutrals. There was a stage for about 5 years where it was instantly met with a "let's be having you" which was pretty cringeworthy but all good aside from that.

I'm a teacher and the kids at school keep an eye on our results and will often want to discuss how we're doing, whether we'll keep Buendia etc. We get a lot of respect in this part of the world (West Mids) tbf.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

Never been embarrassed at all.  In my circle of friends there are two other city fans and a couple of Ipswich fans to, which keeps the banter up.  I definitely find it easier to relate with fans of non big six clubs.  I live in Kent, yet I know more Man Utd ‘fans’ than Gillingham, Charlton or Brighton, who are the closest clubs.

I really notice how my views have changed by living away from Norwich, especially with the Ipswich fans, where I used to really dislike them, now I feel like they are that awkward cousin who embarrassed themselves at the family Christmas party when they were young and have never quite got over it, yet deep down you know you have more in common with them than most Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U, Man C or Tottenham fans.

Edited by Newtopia
  • Like 1

Never have never will be. Proper club, real supporters with a genuine connection 

In fact I would rather chat to an ipswich fan from manchester than a manchester fan from ipswich.

Plastics, can't stand them

• Like 3

@ Newtopia

There's only one FL club in Kent (Gillingham,) similar to both Norfolk and Suffolk. The thing is Kent has a bigger population (1.9m) than both  the East Anglian counties added together.

Not so much embarrassing, but a bit inconvenient for us football fans and a bit disproportionate.

The Gills try hard and have a nice little ground (now,) but the area is awful with a wriggle to get to the ground.

Even Canterbury FC play at Faversham, whilst Maidstone ("The Stones" ☺️☺️) are in the sixth tier of English football.

We are starved of a decent live game compared to those lucky inhabitants of Norfolk, with City plonked in the middle.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Born in Somerset, and supported NCFC all my life. First Team I saw on TV. Yep, at the time we were probably on MOTD, or The Big Match due to their first promotion to the First Division. And by the Age of 8, my parents had bought me a Yellow Budgie which we called Duncan. Never embarrassed, and like most, I hate the Big Clubs

Born and bred in Thanet, East Kent. Lived in Birmingham, Cambridge and Buckinghamshire before returning to Broadstairs but never Norfolk. Been supporting the canaries for nearly thirty years!

I get asked about my football allegiance frequently. Naturally people assume I'm from Norwich and are very curious when they learn that I'm not.

I'm never embarrassed because I adore my team that I've celebrated, laughed and cried with ever since I was a kid but also, 9 times out of 10, I find fans of other clubs genuinely tolerant if not fond of Norwich and quick to tell me that.

There's an element of a reputation for being a 'nicey nice' club and we aren't any relevant team's fierce rival (!) but intelligent fans out there associate us with traditionally playing good football and having eye catching players.

So embarrassed? He'll no!

7 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

@ Newtopia

There's only one FL club in Kent (Gillingham,) similar to both Norfolk and Suffolk. The thing is Kent has a bigger population (1.9m) than both  the East Anglian counties added together.

Not so much embarrassing, but a bit inconvenient for us football fans and a bit disproportionate.

The Gills try hard and have a nice little ground (now,) but the area is awful with a wriggle to get to the ground.

Even Canterbury FC play at Faversham, whilst Maidstone ("The Stones" ☺️☺️) are in the sixth tier of English football.

We are starved of a decent live game compared to those lucky inhabitants of Norfolk, with City plonked in the middle.

Yep, and the Gills are 'Kentish Men' not 'Men of Kent' so us out here in East Kent literally have no FL clubs that we could support without betraying our ancients 😅

1 minute ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Yep, and the Gills are 'Kentish Men' not 'Men of Kent' so us out here in East Kent literally have no FL clubs that we could support without betraying our ancients 😅

Oh! Oim Narfolk. I dornt git involved in orl thet there 'Men of Kent' narnsense. 😉😉

I like to watch the Rams occasionally, they have a nice little bar in their ground .... but they seem mostly supported by "Men of the East End of London,"  tbh.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh! Oim Narfolk. I dornt git involved in orl thet there 'Men of Kent' narnsense. 😉😉

I like to watch the Rams occasionally, they have a nice little bar in their ground .... but they seem mostly supported by "Men of the East End of London,"  tbh.

I remember going to Dartford for a Norwich preseason friendly, think it was part of the Cody McDonald transfer. That was a cracking little ground for their level.

Proud as punch, to the point that I always take a shirt with me on holiday and I always end up leaving it with bar staff or waiter or pool guy.

There are currently NCFC shirts in a number of places like Tunisia, Dominican, Mexico, Jamaica 👍

Always be proud, we have a lot to be proud about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I remember going to Dartford for a Norwich preseason friendly, think it was part of the Cody McDonald transfer. That was a cracking little ground for their level.

Yes I've heard, but never been. National League South club. We signed another youngster from that club since Cody McDonald. He seemed to promise but never made it. Can't recall his name.

Dartford is a big town, and nearly as big as Ipswich. Population 110, 000 (and double in the rush hour.)

Edited by BroadstairsR

Never embarrassed. I can only be embarrassed if I let myself be, and I totally refuse.

Been living in the North East for 40 years but Norwich has always been my team since growing up in Gods Country, Norfolk. Throughout the ups and downs have never been embarrassed to say I support Norwich. Why would I be ? Norwich til i die !

Have lived with Newcastle and Sunderland fans believing they are two of the biggest clubs in the country.......now that's embarrassing 

Not at all. I do love the look of relief you get from other fans of 'smaller' clubs though then they realise they've found someone else who may have some knowledge of football outside the top 4.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Not at all. I do love the look of relief you get from other fans of 'smaller' clubs though then they realise they've found someone else who may have some knowledge of football outside the top 4.

Yeah  , there's a guy in our local Tyre centre who's  a Charlton  supporter, we always have a good chat about proper footy clubs, he was delighted when I told him that WFLGH was a tyre fitter while a semi pro. Never hurts to be genuine about these things as he always gives me a few quid discount and says,something like "Man u fans pay more"....Good lad( having said that he's about 60 without a tooth in his head!! )

53 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes I've heard, but never been. National League South club. We signed another youngster from that club since Cody McDonald. He seemed to promise but never made it. Can't recall his name.

Dartford is a big town, and nearly as big as Ipswich. Population 110, 000 (and double in the rush hour.)

Ebou adams I think? At Forest green now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If you're Embarrassed to be supporting us you should not be supporting us in the first place..

Do you get embarrassed every time you start a thread? 😉

38 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If you're Embarrassed to be supporting us you should not be supporting us in the first place..

This may be your best ever post.

• Haha 1

Never embarrassed to support us. However, I live on the North York Moors and the thing I find surprising is how everyone... everyone supports the closest team (MIddlebrough). I find it a bit embarrassing thinking back to my school in Norwich, where it felt like I was in the minority supporting Norwich and the amount of Man Utd fans was sickening. 

I've had a few dads at my kids school have a friendly word with me when my son's friends have decided to support Norwich instead of Middlesbrough, due to his influence! I will also never forget going into work after the playoff final. They locked the doors and wouldn't let me in!

I love it! I’m damn proud of my local club! It also provides a talking point places you end up. 

For example, I was wearing that white and bird **** third shirt from a few seasons ago in Santa Monica, minding my own business, and some Canadian dude strolls up to me and asks for a photo cos he worked for the Canadian branch of Aviva and loved Norwich City FC!

You can never be embarrassed by that! It brings great vibes. It’s like supporting a cult club and when you meet a fellow fan on the road it’s like “we both know”... I wouldn’t want it any other way! 

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Not the nicest of places. I married a Kent girl, naturally she moved here rather than I there. I say Kent girl, I mean Medway, which whilst in Kent is a world away from some of it!

I am the opposite to embarrassed. I make it known I am a Norwich supporter. I walked around the golf course with two blow up Canaries on my trolley. I have a face mask made up from a very old shirt with the club crest very visible. In fact, at my Surgery, the receptionist calls me Mr Canary.

I am in Cornwall and surrounded by people who support whoever is at the top. But I don't let that bother me. In yer face.

• Haha 1

I lived in Manchester for a spell and the first few years coincided with that utterly abject post-Worthington period of Roeder, Gunn, etc. Was never embarrassed, but responses were often along the lines of "oh dear, I'm sorry". 

Of course then came Lambert and suddenly lots of people remembered that they quite liked little old Norwich and fondly recalled how they'd spent a few days there in the 70s. One of my local pubs would be kind enough to put our live games on a screen for me in a back room and I'd often have a little crowd of old-timers in with me. Loved it.