Sign in to follow this  
stabell_

Help with my research! (Please)

Hope this is okay to post - I'm looking for straight men to take part in research and thought you all might be able to help. 

I'm looking for straight adult men who want to take part in a two-part study examining men's attitudes towards transgender people. Responses are anonymous, each of the two sessions will only take about 10 minutes, and you'll go into the draw to win one of 2 x £10 Amazon vouchers. 
If you're interested, follow the link below to find out more and participate. Thanks 🙂

https://uwe.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bBJW7Al6OouYgdw

27 minutes ago, stabell_ said:

Hope this is okay to post - I'm looking for straight men to take part in research and thought you all might be able to help. 

I'm looking for straight adult men who want to take part in a two-part study examining men's attitudes towards transgender people. Responses are anonymous, each of the two sessions will only take about 10 minutes, and you'll go into the draw to win one of 2 x £10 Amazon vouchers. 
If you're interested, follow the link below to find out more and participate. Thanks 🙂

Not many adults on here buddy

Edited by Van wink

10 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Plenty of soy boyz

Back to your abusive homophobia I see. What a surprise! 

On 08/05/2021 at 03:14, stabell_ said:

If you don’t mind my saying, I think the questions largely miss people’s opposition to the whole trans debate.
I don’t believe many people aren’t fussed by transgender people, if somebody wants to have plastic surgery to look like the opposite sex then it’s up to them. The opposition comes from places such as Tavistock that seemingly encourage children down that path, or from women losing their single sex spaces and sports. It’s when the wants of trans people contradict the wants of others in society that friction appears. 

I tend to stay out of debates about trans issues because I know nothing about it. I have never met a trans person, I know little about them or their issues and problems and it is so out of my "comfort zone" that I avoid it when it comes up. I gather the right wing are probably in exactly the same boat as me, but it is another issue they like to stick their oar in and regale us with their ill-informed opinions.

So you can do what I do and stay out of it.

Or meet trans people, get educated about the issue and give reasoned and sensible opinions.

Or read a load of nonsense online and start spouting baseless opinions about it.

My way is the lazy way out. The second is the right way. The third way should STFU.

41 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

If you don’t mind my saying, I think the questions largely miss people’s opposition to the whole trans debate.
I don’t believe many people aren’t fussed by transgender people, if somebody wants to have plastic surgery to look like the opposite sex then it’s up to them. The opposition comes from places such as Tavistock that seemingly encourage children down that path, or from women losing their single sex spaces and sports. It’s when the wants of trans people contradict the wants of others in society that friction appears. 

Think that's very unlikely re. the bit in bold. We already know that there are enduring stigmas against any familial set-up that is not the nuclear family, but some degree of progress does appear to be made. You'll find single people, childfree people, homosexual people, etc. are often incorrectly tagged as less content / happy in life.

Leslie Ashburn-Nardo did an interesting one about the "moral outrage" aimed at the childfree, so those who deliberately avoid having kids. It was very difficult to avoid the conclusion that when it comes to parents vis-a-vis the childfree, that parents want the childfree to be as miserable as they are.

16 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Think that's very unlikely re. the bit in bold. We already know that there are enduring stigmas against any familial set-up that is not the nuclear family, but some degree of progress does appear to be made. You'll find single people, childfree people, homosexual people, etc. are often incorrectly tagged as less content / happy in life.

Leslie Ashburn-Nardo did an interesting one about the "moral outrage" aimed at the childfree, so those who deliberately avoid having kids. It was very difficult to avoid the conclusion that when it comes to parents vis-a-vis the childfree, that parents want the childfree to be as miserable as they are.

Can you cite some scientific studies that show parents are more miserable than childless couples?

16 hours ago, Herman said:

I tend to stay out of debates about trans issues because I know nothing about it. I have never met a trans person, I know little about them or their issues and problems and it is so out of my "comfort zone" that I avoid it when it comes up. I gather the right wing are probably in exactly the same boat as me, but it is another issue they like to stick their oar in and regale us with their ill-informed opinions.

So you can do what I do and stay out of it.

Or meet trans people, get educated about the issue and give reasoned and sensible opinions.

Or read a load of nonsense online and start spouting baseless opinions about it.

My way is the lazy way out. The second is the right way. The third way should STFU.

Was that aimed at me Herman? If so why have you labelled me as far right, when you know nothing of my political leanings?

Finally what does get educated mean? Do you want me to actually read up on the subject (which I have) or simply parrot the lines and opinions from organisations such as Stonewall? 

6 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Can you cite some scientific studies that show parents are more miserable than childless couples?

Loads of it. There are some countries where it's the other way around (usually in the Mediterranean IIRC, but in the UK and USA, it's pretty clear. The childless couples who aren't happy are those who want kids (by definition, hence childless). Childfree people are usually very happy with their choice.

There may be something about kids making people happier when they've actually grown up, even then it's not that cut-and-dried. The childfree still do very well.

Think having children will make you happy? | The Psychologist (bps.org.uk)

Decades of data suggest parenthood makes people unhappy - Big Think

"A 2011 review by Thomas Hansen, a researcher at Norwegian Social Research, compared our folk understanding on the relationship between parenthood and happiness to the evidence. It found that people believe "the lives of childless people are emptier, less rewarding, and lonelier than the lives of parents," but that the opposite proved true. Children living at home interfered with their parents' well-being."

A meta-analysis by the 
National Council on Family Relations looked at a more specific metric of happiness: marital satisfaction. It found that couples without children reported more romantic bliss. The difference was most pronounced among mothers of infants, while fathers disclose less satisfaction regardless of the child's age. The authors noted the discrepancy likely resulted from role conflicts and restrictions on freedom.

Finally, a study published in the 
American Journal of Sociology looked at 22 Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries and compared the association between parenthood and happiness. Researchers Jennifer Glass (University of Texas, Austin) and Robin Simon (Wake Forest University) found that nonparents reveal higher levels of well-being in most advanced industrialized societies. 

The happiness gap was widest in the United States, where parents were 12 percent less cheerful than childless adults. Fourteen other countries—among them Ireland, Greece, Britain, New Zealand, Switzerland, and Australia—also showed a less-than-sunny outlook for parents, but not to as large a degree as in the U.S.

Edited by TheGunnShow

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Loads of it. There are some countries where it's the other way around (usually in the Mediterranean IIRC, but in the UK and USA, it's pretty clear. The childless couples who aren't happy are those who want kids (by definition, hence childless). Childfree people are usually very happy with their choice.

There may be something about kids making people happier when they've actually grown up, even then it's not that cut-and-dried. The childfree still do very well.

Think having children will make you happy? | The Psychologist (bps.org.uk)

Decades of data suggest parenthood makes people unhappy - Big Think

"A 2011 review by Thomas Hansen, a researcher at Norwegian Social Research, compared our folk understanding on the relationship between parenthood and happiness to the evidence. It found that people believe "the lives of childless people are emptier, less rewarding, and lonelier than the lives of parents," but that the opposite proved true. Children living at home interfered with their parents' well-being."

A meta-analysis by the 
National Council on Family Relations looked at a more specific metric of happiness: marital satisfaction. It found that couples without children reported more romantic bliss. The difference was most pronounced among mothers of infants, while fathers disclose less satisfaction regardless of the child's age. The authors noted the discrepancy likely resulted from role conflicts and restrictions on freedom.

Finally, a study published in the 
American Journal of Sociology looked at 22 Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries and compared the association between parenthood and happiness. Researchers Jennifer Glass (University of Texas, Austin) and Robin Simon (Wake Forest University) found that nonparents reveal higher levels of well-being in most advanced industrialized societies. 

The happiness gap was widest in the United States, where parents were 12 percent less cheerful than childless adults. Fourteen other countries—among them Ireland, Greece, Britain, New Zealand, Switzerland, and Australia—also showed a less-than-sunny outlook for parents, but not to as large a degree as in the U.S.

Fair enough 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Was that aimed at me Herman? If so why have you labelled me as far right, when you know nothing of my political leanings?

Finally what does get educated mean? Do you want me to actually read up on the subject (which I have) or simply parrot the lines and opinions from organisations such as Stonewall? 

It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.

I clearly didn't. 

Getting educated means meeting or at least conversing with people directly involved. 

I hope that clears things up. 

As long as this 'research' does not form part of a political woke agenda as we are seeing develop in Scotland, I have no problem with agreeing that the recognition of genderdisphoria and acceptance of it is an issue that should be taken out of pandoras box, it is not a Cinderella issue anymore.

It has to be said that many women and men are perplexed by the surrounding 'rights' issues that come with Transgender recognition, a matter of time imho. It is hard to see how this issue will fare in a politi that is controlled by men mainly and that has established manifested rights for these two genders.

What I'm sure off is that this can't be advanced by angry sniping and homophobic comments. I hope this helps.

19 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

As long as this 'research' does not form part of a political woke agenda as we are seeing develop in Scotland, I have no problem with agreeing that the recognition of genderdisphoria and acceptance of it is an issue that should be taken out of pandoras box, it is not a Cinderella issue anymore.

It has to be said that many women and men are perplexed by the surrounding 'rights' issues that come with Transgender recognition, a matter of time imho. It is hard to see how this issue will fare in a politi that is controlled by men mainly and that has established manifested rights for these two genders.

What I'm sure off is that this can't be advanced by angry sniping and homophobic comments. I hope this helps.

The issue of rights is where many of the arguments lie. Do I think that trans people should be discriminated against? No I don’t. Do I believe that the trans rights should trump those of biological women on issues such as female sports or single sex spaces? Again no. I think most sensible trans people can see how letting a biological male compete against women especially in contact sports could be unfair and in some situations dangerous. I also believe that while it would be an exceedingly a rare occurrence letting somebody self identify as female to access single sex female areas could again end extremely badly. Unfortunately rules are there for the minority who will do wrong rather than the majority who know how to behave